Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

What gets me about the Disneyland measles thing is that the vocal Disney haters now think they're terribly clever saying "Hur hur look, Disney makes people sick hur hur", when in actuality, if morons would start vaccinating their petri dishes, this could have been avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

What gets me about the Disneyland measles thing is that the vocal Disney haters now think they're terribly clever saying "Hur hur look, Disney makes people sick hur hur", when in actuality, if morons would start vaccinating their petri dishes, this could have been avoided.

To be fair, Disney does hurt me in my wallet.

freypies
Jan 6, 2014
Oh god everyone who got extended for the DCP is leaving now and posting pics on Facebook. I want to go back.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo prices for the new bungalows at Polynesian were leaked!

Depending on the season $2100 - $2500 PER NIGHT

or

You want to buy? Sure thing. $134k please, and we offer low interest financing at god knows how much percent for well-qualified buyers with A-band credit scores. You do however have rights for 50 years.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Jesus Christ. I knew I wouldn't be able to afford it, but wow, that's just...wow.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

or

You want to buy? Sure thing. $134k please, and we offer low interest financing at god knows how much percent for well-qualified buyers with A-band credit scores. You do however have rights for 50 years.

Even if I could afford it like gently caress if I'd pay that for some stupid lovely little cottage at Disney.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Even if I could afford it like gently caress if I'd pay that for some stupid lovely little cottage at Disney.

You know what would really suck?

"Disney reservations how may I help you?"

"Hi I own at Polynesian bungalows and my family and I would like to come down for the week of April 16th.."

"I'm sorry sir but those dates are not available."

"Okay then move it back one week."

"I'm sorry sir but those dates are not available either."

"Okay then what is available in April?"

"I'm sorry sir but April dates are not available."

"What about June?"

"I'm sorry sir but those dates are not available either."

"What dates in June are not available?"

"I'm sorry sir but June dates are not available either."

"What is available?"

"November 1st."

"I'll take it."

"I'm sorry sir but those dates are no longer available."

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

or

Holy. gently caress.

We are DVC members, but I'll be godamned if I'd hand over that amount of money to rarely be able to stay there.

For the amount that 50 points would cost there, I could buy old Saratoga stock or something and get nearly 120. That's a monumental difference.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

demonR6 posted:

Wow. That's interesting. Hey I bet your weird voices would love to know they have a brand new apartment complex built at right outside the MK CM gate and new homes are sprouting up all over so the housing situation is really good here now.

In seriousness that new complex sounds like the bomb I would have become a serial murderer and killed as many as it took to get in that joint if it had existed while I was there.Being literally right there, already at MK, when you wake up would own. Alas I'm too old to be a CP anymore I'd have to go in for a Real Job if I were to ever return to WDW.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We saw them close up, didn't get to go in since they are on final construction. They look nice but I am concerned about accommodations on the water with boats so close and the noise. And if you are familiar with the storms here imagine being in your villa 100 yards out into the lake on stilts.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
So I was just reading up on the whole measles-at-Disneyland thing, and I remembered someone on the SA forums (maybe this one?) mentioning kids "licking the railing" or whatever, in reference to this measles outbreak. A few years back my wife and I were in line for the Autopia cars at DL when we noticed the little kid in front of us was doing just that: sweeping his tongue back and forth across the steel tube railing. He was about five, and his dad was completely oblivious. We took pictures; I'll try to find them. At one point he had wrapped his tongue almost all the way around the railing.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Let me tell you a story sometime about why my wife refuses to ever eat at a buffet.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Am currently sat having lunch at my namesake.

God this ride smells so good

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Bam:

This was in 2009, so I doubt this kid is Patient Zero.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

Bam:

This was in 2009, so I doubt this kid is Patient Zero.

Taste the Disney magic!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

demonR6 posted:

or

I went to Maui last year, stayed in a condo on the beach and spent 7 days there for what it would cost for 3 nights there, including the airfare!! Holy poo poo!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

demonR6 posted:

Let me tell you a story sometime about why my wife refuses to ever eat at a buffet.

:colbert:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

My son is a railing licker. There, I said it. He is also vaccinated because...railing licker.

Let me also say that this is not behavior I condone, but when you've got three kids and one of them puts every goddamn thing in his mouth, you miss a few things here and there.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Have you caught any of them licking the ladle in the mashed potatoes at the Golden Corral buffet then sneeze on it before putting it back it?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

Have you caught any of them licking the ladle in the mashed potatoes at the Golden Corral buffet then sneeze on it before putting it back it?

Nope, but Braksgirl does not like Golden Corral at all.

The thought of the chocolate fountain at GC makes her shudder. If that's what happened to your wife, I completely understand how it could happen.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Bwahahaha we saw a little boy on a cruise we went on stick his whole hand into the chocolate flow.. classic.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Do they sell Tomorrowland pins like in the trailer for the new movie? I hella want onw

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

demonR6 posted:

Bwahahaha we saw a little boy on a cruise we went on stick his whole hand into the chocolate flow.. classic.

I'd reply to this but I'm too busy horking.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Heading down for our second trip in a couple of weeks, staying at Art of Animation (Cars). Anyone stayed there? Thoughts?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I've stayed there twice but never in the Cars suites. I have toured them, though. Pretty fun. They are a pretty good hike from the lobby and the bus stop.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
The meet and greets with Thor and Capt America are fantastic. All the CM handlers are dressed as SHIELD agents, which is such a good touch.

But man, they have these SHIELD badges that I cannot find for sale anywhere. They wouldn't even let me hold em.

Cmon Disney, sell me a SHIELD badge. And a Tomorrowland movie pin

I cant wait for a proper section of a park dedicated to Marvel

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Speaking of railing lickers, we had a kid chip a tooth today because he was chewing on the lap bar at Pooh. Ride came to a stop to unload and his head went forward and bam, tooth chipped, blood everwhere, 911 on the way.

This was right around the same time that I was dealing with a woman who more than likely broke her ankle slipping on the still-wet floor at Tea Cups. Good times.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
BBS, (or anyone else that's worked at a Disney park), this is really a topic for an entirely separate thread, but I've always been curious about how Disney coaches & maintains their quality culture. You hear time & time again (deservedly so) about WDW's insanely high level of customer service, and I've always wondered how they get drat near every single employee to buy in so completely. What did they teach you when you were first being trained? Surely it's more than, "We're #1 in customer service, and let's keep it that way."

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

BBS, (or anyone else that's worked at a Disney park), this is really a topic for an entirely separate thread, but I've always been curious about how Disney coaches & maintains their quality culture. You hear time & time again (deservedly so) about WDW's insanely high level of customer service, and I've always wondered how they get drat near every single employee to buy in so completely. What did they teach you when you were first being trained? Surely it's more than, "We're #1 in customer service, and let's keep it that way."

Most people I know who work at Disney are avid fans and Human Resources has a pretty good system down where they can see if a candidate is a right fit i.e. the kind of person who will be oozing with Disney Magic. I do run into my good share of those who appear to be miserable but those are usually food service and from time to time we will run into a CM working a ride who is a zombie. For the most part though everyone buys into it because your option is being out of work with a sea of people ready to replace you.

Going through Traditions as it was called when I was a CM they really douse you in fairy dust and you either buy in early on or you won't be there in six months. From a personal standpoint I knew most of these families had to work an awful lot to pay for their once in a lifetime vacation so I made it count. Plus there is no reason to be miserable when you work at the happiest place on Earth.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I like the early buy in or out in 6 months comment.

I have a buddy who works there as a financial guy, and he thought it was OK and seemed pretty optimistic at first (hated the weather, we are from the northeast). Last month or so he said he feels like he is working in a cult and just isn't into it.

From my view at a global industrial company, I don't deal directly in the same currency as Disney (customer satisfaction at all cost), but it is funny how big companies really do just require a certain type of person (typically in love with the brand or the work) that is able to put up with all the crazy required stuff

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
So has the Hat at Hollywood Studios come down yet? Or are they still working on it?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I believe it is a work in progress. They put up the barricades last week.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
They've been plinking at it slowly. The gold swirl underneath definitely shows signs of removal. There's now some equipment underneath so it'll probably progress quicker now.

So in three weeks I'm back to working in the parks. I'm pretty excited. The big downside is our base is in downtown Disney which means I'll actually have to deal with DTD traffic.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Good. That thing is hideous. The only angle where it looked good involved being at the top of Tower of Terror while it was lit up at night.

Have they said what's going in its place?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing should go there. You should be able to look down the street and see the Chinese Theatre with hideous giant hats obstructing your view.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001

BlueBayou posted:

The meet and greets with Thor and Capt America are fantastic. All the CM handlers are dressed as SHIELD agents, which is such a good touch.

Wait, wait, wait. They are doing Marvel meet and greets at a Disney park? Which one?

Edit: It's got to be DisneyLand

the_worm_ fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 13, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lincoln posted:

So I was just reading up on the whole measles-at-Disneyland thing, and I remembered someone on the SA forums (maybe this one?) mentioning kids "licking the railing" or whatever, in reference to this measles outbreak. A few years back my wife and I were in line for the Autopia cars at DL when we noticed the little kid in front of us was doing just that: sweeping his tongue back and forth across the steel tube railing. He was about five, and his dad was completely oblivious. We took pictures; I'll try to find them. At one point he had wrapped his tongue almost all the way around the railing.

One time I was working in Tomorrowland and I saw a kid lick up the water from that rotating globe thing that's there.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skeezy posted:

One time I was working in Tomorrowland and I saw a kid lick up the water from that rotating globe thing that's there.

Funny I saw some tourists take their bare bottomed baby using it like a giant deoderant roll on to wipe their kids butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I have heard about people using water fountains as a baby bidet, but never the globe as a baby wipe.