Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Don't go to kyle kinane.com looking for tour dates. Some fuckheads have it now and it redirects to one of those Your PC is Infected sites. I just wanted to see where he's going on his east coast tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This feels like a given but have many comics touched upon why white people shouldn't try to write about racism? Particularly if their experiences with other races amounts to having one black friend and watching The Cosby Show and Fresh Prince growing up.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

This feels like a given but have many comics touched upon why white people shouldn't try to write about racism? Particularly if their experiences with other races amounts to having one black friend and watching The Cosby Show and Fresh Prince growing up.

That sounds hilarious so probably all of them.

Edit - maybe try an open mic in Portland or Brooklyn or some other hipster enclave? They only punch up, like any good comedian.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 30, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I got to sit in the front row to see Nikki Glaser last night, and even met her and chatted for a moment on our way out of the club. She's absolutely gorgeous in person, and super-nice, and hilarious. I'd really like to see her go on to big things. I know she and Amy Schumer (who we've also seen) perform very similar material, but it seems like they are friends, and they did that "Women Who Kill" special together.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Just bought tickets to see Eddie Pepitone at the end of the month and I am more excited for this than any comedy show I've seen in months.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Pepitone (and Jim Earl with his fake obituaries for real dead people) on WTF live podcasts won me the gently caress over so hard that, upon seeing his Netflix special hitting release, I gasped audibly and immediately watched it twice in a row. I loving love that man so much.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Same. I also highly recommend buying the Bitter Buddha documentary on him, it's fantastic.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

So I'm ~new to stand up albums and I'm looking for some stuff to listen to.

I like: NORM MACDONALD(!!), hannibal, Louis, aziz, Gary gulman, bill burr, al madrigal, Kyle kinane, john mulaney, Todd glass, Rory scovel, um, other people.

I'm sure that doesn't help at all. I'm trying to find new comedians but the "similar to" section for every comedian is always the exact same people. I guess my question is what are the stand out albums of the last couple years?

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 8, 2015

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

goldblums eyes posted:

I like: NORM MACDONALD(!!), hannibal, Louis, aziz, Gary gulman, bill burr, al madrigal, Kyle kinane, john mulaney, Todd glass, Rory scovel, um, other people.

I'm sure that doesn't help at all. I'm trying to find new comedians but the "similar to" section for every comedian is always the exact same people. I guess my question is what are the stand out albums of the last couple years?

Maria Bamford is pretty much every comedian's favorite comedian and Ask Me About My New God is a loving triumph. As far as albums from the last couple of years, I'm a fan of Matt Braunger's Shovel Fighter and Kumail Nanjiani's Beta Male.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You'll probably enjoy Jim Jefferies. (God at a party. Gun Control. Oscar Pistorius.) I... kinda like his poo poo a lot.

Also, Dave Attell, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Amy Schumer, Reginald D. Hunter, Stephen Wright, Jimmy Carr, Patrice O'Neal, Chelsea Peretti, Iliza Schlezinger. (Look at how progressive I am! So many black people, so many women!)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

goldblums eyes posted:

Give Eddie Pepitone a try.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Megazver posted:

You'll probably enjoy Jim Jefferies.

I hate faggots!
I like cock.

I hate faggots!
I like cock.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megazver posted:

You'll probably enjoy Jim Jefferies. (God at a party. Gun Control. Oscar Pistorius.) I... kinda like his poo poo a lot.

Also, Dave Attell, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Amy Schumer, Reginald D. Hunter, Stephen Wright, Jimmy Carr, Patrice O'Neal, Chelsea Peretti, Iliza Schlezinger. (Look at how progressive I am! So many black people, so many women!)

gently caress YOU DON'T TAKE MY GUNS!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
PFT - Impersonal & Freak Wharf (his newer stuff is good too but more story-driven and less silly. I love me some silly PFT)
Maria Bamford - Pretty much anything but yeah, Ask Me About My New God is my favorite. You can also see her do the same set in her living room in front of an audience that is only her parents in The Special Special Special
Any of Daniel Kitson's Edinburgh sets if you can get past "this comedian stutters", he's loving great and I only found out about him because Louie mentioned him in an interview when someone asked him about lesser-known comedians that people should check out
Cameron Esposito - Same Sex Symbol
Kristen Schaal - Live At The Fillmore
Stewart Lee - 90s Comedian (I think that's the one where he talks about the fallout from Jerry Springer: The Opera? His other stuff is good too but that's my favorite by far)
Chris Fairbanks - Fairbanks
Wyatt Cenac - Comedy Person

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 8, 2015

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Kyle Kinane's new special airs on the 23rd and I couldn't be more excited.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Kinane rules, got to see him at a relatively small club and laughed so hard my face was sore for the next day. Same for Matt Braunger more recently.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Saw Patton Oswalt at Carnegie Hall and it was a great show. Mostly new bits during the main set, with a few from his last special mixed in. For the encore he did audience requests, which included a great moment when he forgot how a bit went in the middle and had to ask an audience member for assistance:

It was an amazing venue to see comedy in; obviously a far cry from intimate but still felt much nicer than a full-on arena show. Thanks to habitually F5ing Twitter I managed to get a front-and-center seat as soon as they went on sale, and I got to shake his hand at the end of his set :3:

Myq Kaplan opened, which was an awesome treat, since I first heard him on Keith and the Girl years ago (it was like the second or third podcast I ever subscribed to), and I'd yet to see him live. I feel bad since I moved to NYC a couple of years ago and have done an absolutely terrible job of seeing comedy so far (outside of podcast tapings; I've actually seen Comedy Bang Bang four times!), really gotta start going to more shows.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did Patton do the bits about clowns, princesses, kids parties, and how you can be a geek about anything? He did them at the largo and I hope to god he records them to CD because they were hilarious!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

RandomPauI posted:

Did Patton do the bits about clowns, princesses, kids parties, and how you can be a geek about anything? He did them at the largo and I hope to god he records them to CD because they were hilarious!

What was the geek one one like? That reminds of a great article he wrote for Wired a few years ago that always pops into my head. I kind of just wanted an excuse to post it in this thread: http://www.wired.com/2010/12/ff_angrynerd_geekculture/all/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Whatever you do, don't read the reviews of Carmen Esposito's record on iTunes. Jesus.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
LET ME GUESS: Some people are upset that she's a lesbian.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They seem to be upset that her entire hour is about being a lesbian. :shrug: Haven't listened to the special yet and I enjoyed the set she did on Ferguson, but I did get tired of it on her episode of Pete Holmes' podcast.

PS: Cameron

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 10, 2015

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah I haven't heard her album and it's obviously no excuse for lovely comments but I have literally never heard her talk about anything else.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Honestly, I don't give two fucks if the person's material is funny. Louis talks about his kids a lot. So what? He's hilarious and his material works, so who cares what the subject of it is? Cameron rules from what I've heard of her, too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, she was on a couple of the shows I ran for a comedy festival last year and she's SUPER loving nice.

Edit: I will say that I don't always love her sets on Put Your Hands Together, but I understand that's she uses it to work through a lot of new material and I respect the shut out of how much work she puts into it.

XIII fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 11, 2015

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Jim Gaffigan has done at least an hour on food. There aren't that many lesbian comedians, and even fewer who make that part of their act. If she wants to never talk about anything else, that's fine with me.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And of the ones that are, Tig Notaro barely mentions her lesbianism. :I It's a subject that I find absolutely fascinating, and not just because I apparently turn women into them!

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Edit: never mind, was reading it wrong, I'm a dummy

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 11, 2015

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Space_Butler posted:

Please elaborate on this. You don't care if a comedian isn't funny and doesn't make you laugh? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

I'm reading it as "I don't give two fucks [what they talk about] [so long as] the person's material is funny."

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

I'm reading it as "I don't give two fucks [what they talk about] [so long as] the person's material is funny."

Yeah it just clicked for me now, don't know why my brain didn't figure that out the first so many times. I thought it was a "standup is fascinating whether it makes me laugh or not" position.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm not the biggest Esposito fan either. I find her really annoyingly bleeding heart. I say that as a bleeding heart liberal who also hasn't laughed once at anything W. Kamau Bell has said. I'd rather listen to someone like Nick DiPaolo who is saying poo poo I disagree with, yet is funny enough to make me belly laugh. Every time I listen to PYHT, her intro (which, to be fair, is just stuff she's working on and not full-fledged bits) is usually her giving her obvious stance on the issue of ________ to a super liberal UCB audience.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I feel like I should just listen to the album, as the only material I've heard was on PYHT and I wasn't a fan. I guess I shouldn't judge her based on that alone.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I just found Kumail Nanjiani's Beta Male special and it was hilarious. I love his character on Silicon Valley and he was the one bright spot on the disaster that was Franklin and Bash. Also, seconding whoever recommended Spotify for comedy, they have a lot and I've been using the browse function to find new albums and comedians.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What's everyone's thoughts on Gary Gulman?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I feel like I should just listen to the album, as the only material I've heard was on PYHT and I wasn't a fan. I guess I shouldn't judge her based on that alone.

It's, in my opinion, aggressively ok. I think she's a perfectly good comic but she's never really made me lose my poo poo laughing or anything. I kinda use her stuff as more background noise to give occasional chuckles and all than 'alright I need to LAUGH' poo poo.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bill burr is hilarious and his new special is great. louis ck appears to be beginning to believe that he's some sort of wise man & down to earth prophet and it blows a bit

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rear end Catchcum posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on Gary Gulman?
I've only seen his special on Netflix, but I remember thinking it was funny enough.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So I listened to Cameron Esposito's album, and it's pretty good. Basically all my criticisms of her PYHT work were addressed, and the itunes comments are totally overblown. 7.5/10, would listen again.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, I listened to it. She has strong delivery, I guess? The problem with the material, if there is any, is that it's fairly obvious LGBT 101 poo poo and it was preached (the past tense of preach should totally be 'proach' or 'praught', btw) in front of a liberal choir. I'm a straight, not super liberal guy from Eastern Europe and even for me there wasn't a single zag where I expected a zig. It was well delivered zigs all the way. Gaffigan releases hour after hour of food jokes, sure, but they're at least something that I haven't heard before.

I look forward forward to her next album, where she'll actually have to do jokes about something else.

Orkin Mang posted:

bill burr is hilarious and his new special is great. louis ck appears to be beginning to believe that he's some sort of wise man & down to earth prophet and it blows a bit

There's a bit of that, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It doesn't blow because there's more than a little bit of him being a prophet being true.