Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I transferred my level 34 paladin to Excalibur and although I think it was happening on the prior server (Jenova), it seems like I'm having some bad latency issues in combat. Is this common?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Any goons hanging out on Faerie? I'm on there with some friends in Jenova's Witnesses <WWJD>, but other than those guys I don't really know anyone on the server.

I think about half a dozen of us total, all scattered around in different FCs. I'm Kestrel Fairmeadow in <Miso>. Feel free to friend me, but you should probably let me know who you are first :v: I might be difficult to catch online until 2.5 though. Pre-patch lull is the perfect time for remembering I have Steam.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm kind of curious about the little stories of the Scions who die during the Imperial raid and kind of regret not paying more attention to them.

Especially since this is the third character I've beaten story Titan with.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm kind of curious about the little stories of the Scions who die during the Imperial raid and kind of regret not paying more attention to them.

Yeah, I didn't know it was coming and I didn't realize how good the game was about changing that stuff as you do things at that point so I

T.G. Xarbala posted:

:catstare:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Vil posted:

It's not a thing to just take blindly in a vacuum, obviously, but assuming you give it some reasonable context, it's pretty reasonable as an approximation. SMNs will do more DPS than their aggro meters imply unless you see they're not using a pet; ditto for BRD BLM SMN (to a lesser degree) unless you see they're not using Quelling Strikes. DRGs who've had a visible threat drop from Elusive Jump, or any DPS who've died, obviously can't be compared as readily. For MNKs and NINs it's a pretty drat good indicator unless they die.

So, super-accurate, nah. Decent enough option to eyeball as an estimation, especially if you've been paying attention across the battle rather than only at a single slice of time, sure.

I'll be the first to admit that they're more useful for judging tank threat generation or WHM/DRG (mostly WHM unless the tank sucks) ability to shed threat before it becomes a problem.

During the add phase of Shiva EX we had a DRG and a BLM both pulling sub 200 DPS while everyone else was doing 350+. Running ACT let me identify the problem to a degree more specific than "oh I guess our DPS is low, let's try harder guys!" But I wasn't able to do anything about it because I don't want to get reported and banned. The system as it is stinks.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

fadam posted:

During the add phase of Shiva EX we had a DRG and a BLM both pulling sub 200 DPS while everyone else was doing 350+. Running ACT let me identify the problem to a degree more specific than "oh I guess our DPS is low, let's try harder guys!" But I wasn't able to do anything about it because I don't want to get reported and banned. The system as it is stinks.

"The dragoon and BLM suck." Problem solved.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kuai posted:

"The dragoon and BLM suck." Problem solved.

"No I don't. You suck."

Without being able to point to concrete numbers call outs are meaningless and don't accomplish anything.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Can't you just point to their totally poo poo position on the BARS OF AGGROCITY?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

fadam posted:

"No I don't. You suck."

Without being able to point to concrete numbers call outs are meaningless and don't accomplish anything.
Yoshi-P makes faces when people ask for DPS meters. He makes faces because he thinks it's a toxic contribution to the community that adds far more negativity than the benefits it gives. He's right.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

RuanGacho posted:

Yoshi-P makes faces when people ask for DPS meters. He makes faces because he thinks it's a toxic contribution to the community that adds far more negativity than the benefits it gives. He's right.

He's right that they add way more negativity than they're really worth, but that's from the public's ability to horribly abuse any tool that it's given to streamline things for itself. Forcing DPS requirements on people is bad? Sure, but so are:

• Kicking people / dropping group when you see a Soldiery bonus pop up and don't want to carry someone
  • Dropping group when you see a severely undergeared player or a party comp that doesn't let you AoE a dungeon
  • Rolling need on every item that drops in a 4-man because you want the seals / money, which is bad enough that it's now the norm
  • Creating parties with greatly inflated ilvl requirements and refusing to take people in content-appropriate gear to CLEAR GROUPS. Not farm groups, but first-clear groups. The other day I saw a 105 req Leviathan EX clear group :doh:

There's plenty of other examples, but these are some of the biggest and most widespread problems. People gravitate toward what makes things easiest or most beneficial to themselves, regardless of the impact on other players. They'll do it with DPS meters, sure, but they also do it without. At least with an official meter some of the inefficient players can get to where they're supposed to be.

Niton fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 11, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

If you as a player are performing completely below what is expected of you and preventing a clear from happening by being that bad, you should get told and get out. In fact, why are you even there if you have no ability to perform in the first place?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

Maybe they should stop adding soft / hard enrage mechanics to encounter design then.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

The best part of animus books is fighting with other people over a mob that has only 2 spawns on the map.

Spoiler: If you right click a dude, there's an invite to party option.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Truga posted:

Don't even need to do that, credit is shared in this game. You need to do 25% damage to a mob and you're good.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Truga posted:

I tried that for both set of animus that I did, people accept less than 50% of the time.

I'm not sure why either, I /tell them we can share before sending the invite so it's not like they don't know why I'm doing it.

ilifinicus posted:

Don't even need to do that, credit is shared in this game. You need to do 25% damage to a mob and you're good.
Overworld mobs die in 3 or 4 gcd, just tagging it might be hard enough if you don't know where stuff spawns.

I personally leave it for the other person after tagging it, but people rarely return the favor or even seem aware that that's what I'm doing.

Algid fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 11, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Things die way too fast to contribute 25% of the damage. Really great for people who pop all their non GCD and kill the thing in 3 hits.

EDIT: Especially if you're a SCH. Hope you can quick cast chain ruin 1, ruin 2 and energy drain fast enough!

Leal fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 11, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, that advice would be a bit more realistic if it weren't applied to things being killed by people who massively overgear them.

Hell, even someone of the same level of a normal overworld mob, reasonably geared for that level, will murder it pretty drat fast.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

The solution is to make your own party and just kick underperforming people without a reason

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kitfox88 posted:

Can't you just point to their totally poo poo position on the BARS OF AGGROCITY?

Actually adds are definitely where AGGRO BARS are totally useless unless you are some kind of weird spazz who targets all the adds and keeps note of the threat they have to each DPS.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Eej posted:

Actually adds are definitely where AGGRO BARS are totally useless unless you are some kind of weird spazz who targets all the adds and keeps note of the threat they have to each DPS.

*sweats nervously*

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Truga posted:

I've tried talking to people. Most ignore it.

ilifinicus posted:

I'm a white mage. Can't really compete with a bard that kills stuff in less time than it takes me to cast stone II once.

I really wish they'd let you just buy all 9 animus books at once. That would get rid of basically all my complaints.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

atma is real hard guys

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

shouldnt we have gotten a 2.5 trailer by now

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The more controllable takeaway from the whole shared-claim mechanic is that if you get claim yourself, you can gracefully hold off on being all :black101: and let your competition get the opportunity to get credit for contributing.

You can't, unfortunately, force them to do the same in return, but sometimes they'll notice and return the favor on their own, sometimes they'll be willing to do it after a conversation, and sometimes they'll be willing to join a party with you. And yes, sometimes they'll be selfish and/or oblivious dicks and burn mobs down super fast even if they have claim and even after you've discussed the idea with them, all while refusing to party with you.

Being a selfish/oblivious dick yourself won't really help the situation much (if anything it'll just spur the competition on to be even more aggressive), so you might as well go with the option that leaves you with better odds of cooperation. (And also the moral high ground if you care about such things.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

High pop server problems.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Rei_ posted:

shouldnt we have gotten a 2.5 trailer by now

The 2.4 trailer was released about a week and a half before the patch went live. Which, given the recently announced patch windows, means the trailer is probably due any day now.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
If I'm a 41 SCH and I'm only healing for like 450 is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

Daner T
Dec 24, 2004

FortMan posted:

A few of us are on Faerie, but not organized in anything. I'm Feona Elgrande in Star Onion Brigade <SOB>.

I'm also on Faerie! Lucem Stella in <Vi'Vi>

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tarranon posted:

i'm putting out the goon signal on ultros again

:alert: :siren: :attention:

please make your presence here known

relatively new to the game but i'm morgan atreides on ultros. i love punching things

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any secrets to getting ACT set up more accurately than it is by default for ff14? I had an fc mate parse my bard at close to 400 but when i parse myself I'm seeing ~260 after 4 mins. I am definitely refreshing all my dots at 3 seconds and rarely miss a bloodletter proc, at i115 with soldiery 110 weapon, and never using misery's end. I also parsed a blm at 100 less than he had on his own parser, so this definitely seems like something on my end.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Drunk Orc posted:

If I'm a 41 SCH and I'm only healing for like 450 is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

That's normal. If you're hoping for incomprehensibly large numbers, you're going to have to wait several patch cycles. You can expect to hit just above four digits with the current highest gear, to give you an approximate scale.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Any goons hanging out on Faerie? I'm on there with some friends in Jenova's Witnesses <WWJD>, but other than those guys I don't really know anyone on the server.

Another Faerie goon here. I'm with Kupo Nut Cartel <KUPO!>. Not a thread regular (just pop in now and then), but I can tell you that if you're looking for pretty okay folks, we're sort of like that, though to the best of my awareness there's no other goons in it. Character name is Anzu Mahri.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I love how the game does this. Though not without consternation. I'm a bit miffed that I don't recall talking to Doga and Unei prior to doing Syrcus Tower, though I'm pretty sure they were hanging around, so now I'm wondering if I missed any neat stuff.

Otherwise I like that subplot, particularly the dry little interplay between Cid and a certain returning antagonist. I know that in all likelihood that guy's doomed to become a loot pinata in the World of Darkness raid, but part of me hopes they defy expectations by having us pull his silly rear end out of the fire and gain an ally, albeit a shifty and conniving one. Previous evil empires in FF games have always had the one person who eventually sided with the good guys.

As for your story: There was a tiny vignette with little developments in between story beats up to Titan with the adventurers hanging out in the middle of the storeroom. Elf girl and cat guy are trying to bolster the confidence of a young disowned highlander, he eventually gets a leve and takes off before the Garleans show up. Later he returns after the Sands are restored, lamenting that he wasn't there to stand with his pals but feeling galvanized and confident in his course, swearing to do right by their memories.

I seriously love that adventurers are so heavily written into the setting. I'm back in FFXIV from WoW, partially because I couldn't stand how the writers in that game clearly wish they weren't having to cater to these itinerant armed crazies running around rather than just rolling with it.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 11, 2015

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
While the whole dungeon run was bizarre (we believe the tank we had through most of it had bought his account), I ran into an interesting bug in a brayflox normal LLDR today.

We were waiting for a healer to replace one that left before I got in, and right as someone from the FC zones in to help out, the tank gets impatient and pulls the second boss. A few seconds later he realizes his error and tries to run back outside the the barrier to reset it and Not Die Pointlessly. He runs the boss right on top of the barrier RIGHT as it was supposed to go up, and unfortunately I was standing right on top of the barrier.

The boss does reset and ignores the other two that damages it, but the barrier stays up since it pushed me into the boss area. Boss and I couldn't damage each other, it clearly had aggro on me and wasn't doing anything, and I got the "Aetherial Manipulation" message as if I was trying to attack it outside the barrier. I couldn't Return out, group couldn't kick me, and I couldn't abandon since I was in combat, but logging out and back in fixed it.

And then I got to enjoy the slog of a tank that only used heavy swing every few seconds. Kicked him for a goon tank not long after that, and commended the poo poo out of the poor BLM trying to get his goddamn titan cheese and wasting an hour of his life in Brayflox.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

I've had a lot of weird runs the last few days. Level 30something PLD in Level 20 GC gear with a white weapon that I'm pretty sure was intentionally trolling or trying to spice things up since he had multiple 30+ classes and one or two 50s. Different run had a healer who would wait for the tank to be sub-100 HP to even start a cure spell so I got a lot of mileage out of offhealing with physick, and one other run that had the tank not using flash once for half of the dungeon.

I'm glad WoW has numbed me to dumb poo poo, but the good runs make up for the questionable ones in droves on this game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A while back I had a run in Totorak with a healer who was still using his level one wand. He seemed genuinely surprised when I told him that his weapon affects his healing ability. And honestly, I couldn't blame him for that. The game doesn't exactly explain to you that "magic damage" actually means magic power. And in most other MMOs, caster weapons are just stat sticks.

I still booted him because he was healing me for double digits, but I apologized before I did.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

I had a arcanist summon a topaz carbuncle when I was tanking in Copperbell, then got super pissy when the other DPS pointed it out and suggested that they switch to emerald.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I'd never had particularly weird runs until I started doing Expert Roulette, at which point it's been a veritable Wheel of Fuckwits. I even had one party collapse within the first four mob spots because the healer couldn't keep the tank up even remotely, which resulted in the tank, healer and the other dps all swapping recriminations before declaring "I'LL TAKE THE THIRTY MINUTE HIT TO BE DONE WITH YOU" at one another and racing to be the first to quit out of the dungeon. I was kinda stunned so I stayed for a moment and then three relief heroes spawned in at once to what must have seemed a fairly bewildering scenario of a near-fresh dungeon. We got through the dungeon (Sastasha Hard) easy after that.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

kharaa posted:

That's normal. If you're hoping for incomprehensibly large numbers, you're going to have to wait several patch cycles. You can expect to hit just above four digits with the current highest gear, to give you an approximate scale.

Ok awesome I don't suck then. I'm guessing SCH is a proactive support with the shields and pet and stuff whereas WHM is reactive and has gargantuan numbers on their heals, is that about right?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Ok awesome I don't suck then. I'm guessing SCH is a proactive support with the shields and pet and stuff whereas WHM is reactive and has gargantuan numbers on their heals, is that about right?

Nah, SCH gets a very powerful heal, that is incredibly useful at 50. Completely changes how you play because it means you can stay in Cleric Stance a lot longer. Lustrate consumes an Aetherflow stack to heal 25% of the target's HP. When your target is the tank, that can mean over 2k per heal. Also, learn to love Rouse, a roused fairy heals for as much as your Physick when you are out of Cleric Stance, so you can use your fairy to boost your healing significantly, and possibly even avoid coming out of Cleric Stance if it gets rough. You want to stay in Cleric Stance as much as the dungeon and tank's skill will allow though, healers can contribute enough DPS to a dungeon to make the run considerably easier.

That said, do not be afraid to stance dance between Cleric Stance and normal healing, you will need to do it, so get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Drunk Orc posted:

Honestly the "whm has huge heals" thing is kinda a moot point because the vast majority of the time they'll just be using the ordinary cure spell anyway. Their real strength is aoe healing while sch is good at single target.

• Locked thread