Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Washout posted:

I think the 8 small pulse laser firestarter is on sale too, so maybe buy that as well.

I just don't feel like I am doing any damage with small lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day

ZombyDog posted:

I only run two SRM4s and the XL255 but I also fully armour the shield arm - With an XL engine, the left arm is certainly not a dump stat.

The shield arm already gets 16 armor for free, and the extra SRM4 really does help. A big part of the build is having the sheer alpha to bully weaker mechs off or break components on weakened heavier mechs, along with using cover and terrain to pop out, shoot, and get back in. I only use the shield arm when I get caught out of position, all other times I just stay out of sight and attack things that are either distracted with someone else or who I can alpha down.

EDIT:

demonR6 posted:

Hitboxes are wonky if you have moderate ping. Sometimes you actually need to aim in the space in front of enemies to hit them. 8 small pulse lasers is great though, I've two-shot mechs from behind simply because they've ignored me.

rotocheese
Oct 27, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

WoL tends to get at least one 12-man going for CW each night.

I'd be interested in joining up I'm not to shabby and have some decent robots.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fil5000 posted:

What

Cicadas are good now?

What?!

You can fit 5 quirked mpl on a 2b, its pretty fun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

rotocheese posted:

I'd be interested in joining up I'm not to shabby and have some decent robots.

what's your in-game name? someone should be able to shoot you an invite

rotocheese
Oct 27, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

what's your in-game name? someone should be able to shoot you an invite

It's rotocheese I'm already in a unit so I'd probably have to break my contract and say my goodbyes. But that sounds great.

rotocheese fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 11, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

sebmojo posted:

You can fit 5 quirked mpl on a 2b, its pretty fun.

Hot as gently caress though. I never could make it do work as well as a 3M despite the quirks.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
So with this sale, is there like a priority of mechs to buy? I've got not a lot of space dollars, so I can't buy 10 mechs :(

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Looks like the unit I'm in is going Liao for our next contract. That means I can help murder davions with fellow goons thanks to CW groups being extended to anyone on your faction w/ the Jan 20th patch. Bookmarked the Goonrathi mumble for when that happens.

Also pretty excited about counter-attacks being skirmish/TDM mode, it makes more sense that way.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

MadWOPR posted:

So with this sale, is there like a priority of mechs to buy? I've got not a lot of space dollars, so I can't buy 10 mechs :(

Get the PPC quirked Thunderbolt, I think it's the 9SS? It punches stupidly above its weight.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
For Offense I'm running Timberwolf / Timberwolf / Stormcrow / Garbage pinchhitter puma

For Defense I'm running Garbage pinchhitter puma / Timberwolf / Garbage LRM kitfox / Cagayan Oro Direwolf

Defense is the most interesting combo. The pinchhitter puma can prod at poo poo for as long as the doors are closed, then run straight through the doors and die trying to get everyone to follow him back away from the objective. The garbage LRM kitfox can sit around and puke out LRM's in that weird twilight period where waves are coming in and brawling and there's not a lot of cover. The direwolf sits on objectives and murders lights and heavies alike when they charge in to try to take out generators or the main gun.

My offense probably sucks but I love timberwolves.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

Get the PPC quirked Thunderbolt, I think it's the 9SS? It punches stupidly above its weight.

Two Thunderbolts are CW-essential: the -9S and the -5SS

For the -9S, you want two ERPPCs in the right torso and one in the left. They're both high mounts, but the right torso ones are basically at cockpit height and are your main pokers. Fill the rest with engine/heatsinks/armor and you're good.

For the -5SS, you want seven medium pulse lasers, a big STD engine, and a bunch of heatsinks. You get a 42-point ammo-less alpha that you can fire once every 2-ish seconds. It is a very, very scary robot up-close and is good for defending objectives or falling in behind a push and coring out backs.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Yeh IS cw is All Thunderbolts Power Hour, featuring PPC's out the wazoo. The quirks are somewhat negating of clan defensive power when the primetime fights get going, so I would not be surprised if clan worlds start whittling down into the single digits.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The TDR-9S seems to be pretty close to the HBR with 3 ERPPCs, though? And the HBR carries ECM.

TDR-9S vs HBR-PRIME

I mean YEAH, the TDR is super good. Probably the best IS 'mech right now (that or the firestarter). But it's not THAT much better than a quicky HBR build, even given that the HBR spreads some damage to side components.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
So I guess I'll be getting some thunderbolts then. Also, as a fun thought exercise, if WoL switched to Davion for a week, would the mwo forums universe collapse in on itself?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

OB_Juan posted:

The TDR-9S seems to be pretty close to the HBR with 3 ERPPCs, though? And the HBR carries ECM.

TDR-9S vs HBR-PRIME

I mean YEAH, the TDR is super good. Probably the best IS 'mech right now (that or the firestarter). But it's not THAT much better than a quicky HBR build, even given that the HBR spreads some damage to side components.

What are the mounts like on the HBR? The -9S is a bomb-rear end 'mech because of the two RT eye-level mounts and the 50% overall heat reduction, 25% cooldown, and 15% velocity bonuses on ERPPCs. You can utterly ruin other robots without exposing much of your own to damage.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I'm really tempted to UPGRADE NOW to Hellbringers, but $55. :negative: They seem like cool mechs.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

What are the mounts like on the HBR? The -9S is a bomb-rear end 'mech because of the two RT eye-level mounts and the 50% overall heat reduction, 25% cooldown, and 15% velocity bonuses on ERPPCs. You can utterly ruin other robots without exposing much of your own to damage.

HBR has a high head mount, the rest are lower on the left side.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

"Ah, what the hell, I'll give the trial Firestarter a go. Can't be as fun as they say it is."
[Several matches later]
"Oh gently caress yes"

To make a long story short, I have a Firestarter now.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Westy543 posted:

I'm really tempted to UPGRADE NOW to Hellbringers, but $55. :negative: They seem like cool mechs.

You don't get the invasion version unless you buy the $90 package either.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

demonR6 posted:

Compared to the 5 MPL firestarter, the 8 SPLs have a larger alpha by 2 points, and do almost 50% extra DPS with slightly better heat efficiency and shorter laser duration to boot. The only tradeoff is range.

e: Someone remind me how ghost heat works with different class lasers. I know mixing different types of large (eg ER + pulse) gives ghost heat but if I were to alpha say 2 large lasers with 4 mediums there's no ghost heat right? It won't count as 6 large or whatever?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 11, 2015

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Washout posted:

You don't get the invasion version unless you buy the $90 package either.

Wow, is that a wave two thing? I know in the first wave, if you got any of them a la carte you got a 30% cbill bonus one. I guess I'll just wait until the Spring.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So how are LBX-10s considered? I have always loved my space shotguns in the various Mechwarrior games and mods and am thinking about putting two on my Cataphract 4x instead of 2 gauss or 4 AC/5. The damage is roughly similar to both and from using them on the trial mechs, the spread isn't too bad at long range.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Slaan posted:

So how are LBX-10s considered?

Generally quite poorly, with the exception of the Centurion that gets a crazy cooldown quirk (I think 25% ballistic + 25% LBX for a total 50% CD reduction.) The sheer rate of fire makes up for the base weapon being somewhat lackluster.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Looks like some mercs are trying to stir up something on marik border. I talked to the FLWM to let them know it isnt us and they are going to let me know what unit/units it is that is attacking them.

Basically, don't attack the purple planets please.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day

Wafflecopper posted:

Compared to the 5 MPL firestarter, the 8 SPLs have a larger alpha by 2 points, and do almost 50% extra DPS with slightly better heat efficiency and shorter laser duration to boot. The only tradeoff is range.

e: Someone remind me how ghost heat works with different class lasers. I know mixing different types of large (eg ER + pulse) gives ghost heat but if I were to alpha say 2 large lasers with 4 mediums there's no ghost heat right? It won't count as 6 large or whatever?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment#weapon_heatscale Here's all the different groups that weapons are in for heatscale purposes.

EDIT: Oh missed the last bit, if two weapons are in different groups then no, but if weapons with different heat values and in the same group are fired then ghost heat is calculated from the HIGHEST heat weapon.

So if you had two LRM 10's and an LRM 20 then the extra ghost heat would be calculated from the LRM 20, meaning you would have 3 extra heat rather than just 2. Or if you fired two LRM 5's and an LRM 15 you would still have ghost heat even though LRM 5's have a limit of 3 and LRM 15's a limit of 2.

LordBaxter fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 11, 2015

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/185577-liao-propaganda-contest-win-prizes/

Not a Goon contest but if any of you have some artistic skills and want some free poo poo be sure to enter.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tips for laying down some top-shelf owns:

1. Buy Timber Wolf S
2. Fit it out with 4 ER Large Lasers
4. Post screenshot of you having fun on the map everyone else hates because of people like you.

e: seriously, the grind for the Timber Wolf is steep, but it is worth it.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 11, 2015

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

MadWOPR posted:

So I guess I'll be getting some thunderbolts then. Also, as a fun thought exercise, if WoL switched to Davion for a week, would the mwo forums universe collapse in on itself?

If we switch factions, do we take the planets we've conquered with us?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Nope.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Alchenar posted:

Tips for laying down some top-shelf owns:

1. Buy Timber Wolf S
2. Fit it out with 4 ER Large Lasers
4. Post screenshot of you having fun on the map everyone else hates because of people like you.

e: seriously, the grind for the Timber Wolf is steep, but it is worth it.

Oh we're posting cherrypicked screenshots from pub matches? OK!

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Played last night for the first time since early October or so. Do we have a wiki or something for builds yet? I ended up spending most of the night in a rhino stalker following Brofist's crab around because holy poo poo things have changed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Random Number posted:

Hey Spergashi stop sulking and come play games.

ps. get on my level

JadeRaven
Nov 12, 2008

Random Number posted:

Did his post bother you? I don't get it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JadeRaven posted:

Did his post bother you? I don't get it.

He'll get super mad if you point out that screenshot's from him running a zero-skill Streak SRM Stormcrow where he just has to point in the general direction of bad guys and push button to get points.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Random Number posted:

If you're going to call someone out for cherry picking damage done in pubs or whatever, you should at least out-damage them. :rolleyes:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
You all sort of missed the point. A cherry picked pub match screen shot is not indicative of skill. See: Me out killing, out match scoring, and just barely not out-damaging Alchenar's skill intensive build in my streak crow.

It's not a comment on Alchenar, it's a comment on people that post cherry-picked screenshots from pubmatches and proclaim themselves or their build good. So yeah, good job goons.

JadeRaven
Nov 12, 2008

Random Number posted:

You all sort of missed the point. A cherry picked pub match screen shot is not indicative of skill. See: Me out killing, out match scoring, and just barely not out-damaging Alchenar's skill intensive build in my streak crow.

It's not a comment on Alchenar, it's a comment on people that post cherry-picked screenshots from pubmatches and proclaim themselves or their build good. So yeah, good job goons.

You're kind of an idiot.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Random Number posted:

yo son who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

What a thread

• Locked thread