Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
For now it is a 7% chance to spawn with the B skin, but it has been stated that eventually they will be a thing you can unlock to use when you choose (I would guess by successfully looping at least once).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Turns out corpse impacts will actively seek out and detonate cars you're standing next to :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Those cars have a crazy blast radius and you should try and not get close if you can.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
The worst is when the portal opens up close enough to immediately start pulling you in but also detonates the car between you and it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The loading screen says shoot all robots on sight but it should say shoot all cars on sight. They're not your friend in nature.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
What are loops and dailys? Is there something special when you run once a day? I assume loop is beating and you start again but harder? I've never goten past the cars so I'm still pretty clueless.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Nevvy Z posted:

What are loops and dailys? Is there something special when you run once a day? I assume loop is beating and you start again but harder? I've never goten past the cars so I'm still pretty clueless.

Dailies are enabled by hitting the calendar icon on the main menu. You get one try at a seed that's shared for everybody (so everybody has the same maps).
Loops are when you beat the game and start over from the beginning, yeah. There's a bunch of bonus stuff like guns and bosses that only show up in loops.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a reward for doing well on a daily? If not, what's the point of restricting it to 1 try?

And yeah, it's bullshit when you get damaged from a portal blowing up a car.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RatHat posted:

Is there a reward for doing well on a daily? If not, what's the point of restricting it to 1 try?

Because dailys are fun

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They should add like a star in the corner of the character portraits on the select screen as a way of being like "hey you beat the game with this guy good job" or "hey you looped with this guy gooder job" or something, to encourage people to try different characters.

RatHat posted:

Daily runs are set to a specific seed for all players, so if you could try it multiple times you'd be able to learn where everything is and cheap it out just by being able to run through it over and over until you get a super high score, which would render the daily leaderboards pointless.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Anyone else unable to get the Steam overlay to take a screenshot?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Anyone else unable to get the Steam overlay to take a screenshot?

Yeah, Steam screenshots don't work for this game which is kinda annoying because it makes it hard to take screenshots of it!

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Okay I just impulse bought this game, and it's pretty hard which is neat, but is it my lack of game knowledge or is Fish just bad? Compared to Crystal, who has more hp and an infinite duration reflect shield, why would you want to play Fish?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Yeah, fish is the worst by far.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nalesh posted:

Yeah, fish is the worst by far.

Eh I disagree. I'd say Eyes is probably worse and Plant depending on your skill level.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Both eyes and plant can be used well, eyes and melee weapons is incredibly good, especially if you get the longer reach mutation so you can pin people to walls and hit them from the other side of the wall. And plants special increases damage done to whatever it hits no?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i like fish

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fish is good for playing it like a cover shooter. Because you roll in the direction you're moving and not the one you're aiming in, you can pop out from around corners with the roll and then pop back quicker than if you were just walking. It's useful for enemies like the scorpions that shoot a bajillion bullets and those loving rear end in a top hat diamond crystal laser things that have way too much health for their own good gently caress those guys gently caress poo poo drat it. Fish's throne butt upgrade is not so useful because it allows you to roll forever but since it doesn't have i-frames anymore there's really no point. Plus he gets more ammo drops than the other characters so he's definitely better equipped by default when it comes to explosives and lasers and so on.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I've been able to juke the crystal lasers pretty easily.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I just wish this had LAN support. I want coop without screensharing because all the poo poo going on makes my eyes go out of focus.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

There isn't really a "worst" character, unless you're talking about who is the hardest to play (it's Rogue [maybe my favorite character]) everyone has unique advantages and in some cases disadvantages. However some characters are closer to the baseline as far as basic stats go, and their specials don't give them a unique method of augmenting their damage or survivability, I'd say fish and plant, and to a lesser extent eyes fall into this sort of description, all other characters either have a significant way to enhance their damage output, or a special way to avoid damage. This is purely speaking about performance out of the box, with throne butt eyes and plant bring something significant to the table, fish still falls short though. I think they should consider adding iframes back to his roll, maybe if only as one of his ultra mutations, otherwise I don't really know what they could do to him without majorly changing him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nalesh posted:

Both eyes and plant can be used well, eyes and melee weapons is incredibly good, especially if you get the longer reach mutation so you can pin people to walls and hit them from the other side of the wall. And plants special increases damage done to whatever it hits no?

No, Plant's special just immobilizes enemies. Throne butt makes it instakill enemies under 50% health(does this work on bosses?).

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

RatHat posted:

No, Plant's special just immobilizes enemies. Throne butt makes it instakill enemies under 50% health(does this work on bosses?).

Yes. It works on anything in the game.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

It's sort of funny, the high end melee weapons that don't use ammo (Blood Hammer and Lightning Hammer) turn out to be the best on YV, once you get his ultra mutation they end up being faster than the wrench would be on any other character, viable as your sole weapons while looping. I made it halfway through a second loop last night using the blood hammer, the lightning hammer is better if you've got laser brain, but I didn't.

The reason pop pop doesn't work with melee weapons has been quoted as not being fixed because Yung Venuz is a gun god, not a melee god, so this all really strikes me as pretty funny.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Hell, i think Y.V. is a bit faster with melee weapons right from the beginning with his passive ability.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Yes, absolutely, he's the best with melee from the start, but his ultra mutation makes the end-game weapons faster than some of the fastest melee weapons on other characters.

E:rebel.png

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 10, 2015

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Having played more, I really like Eyes so I've been playing him straight up. I consistently get to 3_1 now.

If I understand the chest skipping correctly, it's best to open the first red chest and then skip the next couple so you get a fancy chest on 2_1, right?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I got this game as a gift from a dear friend and it Owns, and I like Yung Venuz a lot. Where is the daily challenge option?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Reiley posted:

I got this game as a gift from a dear friend and it Owns, and I like Yung Venuz a lot. Where is the daily challenge option?

Click on the calendar (top left) and then select a character to do a daily challenge run. If you aren't sure whether or not it worked, you can pause once you're ingame and it'll tell you on the pause screen.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
I enjoy using Steroids with the Golden Hammer and either an explosive or a bullet based gun, swatting stuff is great survivability.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I've been rotating between Melting, Steroids, and Chicken. I also like Horror but I'm afraid of losing rads :(

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

oddium posted:

I've been rotating between Melting, Steroids, and Chicken. I also like Horror but I'm afraid of losing rads :(

Enemies you hit with the beam will drop the rads you used on death, so just don't miss.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
http://steamcommunity.com/games/nuclearthrone/announcements/detail/128684232502244338

New update, it's pretty small. Plasma Minigun is in, YV's Butt got buffed while Plant's Butt got nerfed.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

And a batch of Ultra Mutation icons.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Plasma Minigun is in YV's Butt

Lewd

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
Two energy hammers on Steroids, I wonder if this will work out?

<Loops 3 times.>

Actually had to drop one halfway through the first loop because I ran out of ammo. But that's okay, found an ultra shovel.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I love this game and play it in short bursts every day, and while I'm not good yet I just had a great daily run:

First time doing even remotely good on a daily run (I barely seem to get out of desert on them, must be nervousness) and first time beating the looped throne ever.

Everything came together on this run. Rebel throne butt + rhino skin + rabbit paw + plutonium hunger = a never ending hurricane of auto aiming buddies that kill every enemy near them in a second, block enemy shots, and even can't kill you when they are reflected by heavy cops. I just popped one out any time I had more than 8 HP and if the situation ever called for I had an ultra revolver and energy sword constantly at max ammo.

So far I've beaten (looped) the game with Rebel, Y.V., and Robot (my three favorite classes). I really want to like steroids, and would like to loop with him but I notice any time I play steroids for a while I start spamming my class power once I stop. Switching from a long steroids session over to robot can make me scream in frustration.

I bought a drat gift of the game around Christmas, and was given one like everyone else, but both extra copies are sitting around waiting on a 30 day timer, Bleh.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yay, I just looped for the first time after ~40 hours of playing! Robot run, I got an energy sword in the scrapyard, along with a heavy revolver in the first snow level. Laser brain + energy sword = death to all.

I died in 1_1 in the loop though, sadly.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I think one of the most stressful things in this game is when you're fighting big dog and there's a bunch of robot snipers behind him, unless you hit the jackpot on weapons coming in and can just take down big dog, it's just a really difficult situation.

e: I've discovered that I actually really like the energy screwdriver, it seems like it gets much more range with long arms than the regular screwdriver and with laser brain it can do 44 damage per swing. I always sort of scoffed at it, but I gave it a chance in a few runs and it pleasantly surprised me.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah I'm pretty sure energy screwdriver is the highest raw DPS weapon in the game; only problem is it's got the hitbox of a screwdriver.

Also http://thronebutt.com/ looks like the start of a potentially cool daily run tracking site, and it already shows your overall leaderboard ranking (just as expected, i am gutter trash)

• Locked thread