Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Miniboss in Brinstar that leads to the first Super Missile pack.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Other M is canon. Prime is not. So saving the animals means you like Other M more than Prime.

Animals are also in Fusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The boss you're intended to fight to get the super missiles that even the 100% run skips.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Never heard of him. Sounds too lame for Super Metroid.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The only way this could get better would be if sweetnumb ends the run with item collection at 99% and is also disqualified from the run :v:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Parasara posted:

I just want to give Epic a hug. The guy looks loving devastated at what i'm sure he believes is ruining the run

People are literally going to die of cancer because he's such a failure

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

What

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

DoctorWhat posted:

Never heard of him.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Sporespawn

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Other M is canon. Prime is not. So saving the animals means you like Other M more than Prime.

wait i thought prime was still canon it's just that the other m guys didn't like it so they minimized reference to it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Adam didn't authorize killing the animals.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

:thejoke:

I hope in the future maybe non-poo poo SM hacks make it in, like Eris. Eris is such a good SM hack.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

the joke is that nobody knows who sporespawn is since every super metroid run skips him

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Other M doesn't exist shut up shut up shut up

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
These Captain Bobtastic donations are way better than this race.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Brother Entropy posted:

wait i thought prime was still canon it's just that the other m guys didn't like it so they minimized reference to it

I don't know if there's an official statement or if Prime not being canon is just an assumption given how much Other M goes out of its way to contradict it.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
I'm a little behind on this thread but the Humble Bundle is at about $183k for the charity right now.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

the joke is that nobody knows who sporespawn is since every super metroid run skips him

The joke is that he's called dr What and he said who?

I've actually never seen sporespawn either.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
I just put a notepad window over Epic, it's helped a bit.

Maybe give the poor guy a solo run in the bonus stream?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Adam didn't authorize killing the animals.

Donate with that as the message. It would cause so much nerd rage if it got read.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

The Rokstar posted:

Other M doesn't exist shut up shut up shut up

If Other M didn't exist we wouldn't have Slowbeef and Diabetus's awesome teardown of it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

UraniumAnchor posted:

I'm a little behind on this thread but the Humble Bundle is at about $183k for the charity right now.

Hooray we broke a million! :toot:

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

UraniumAnchor posted:

I imagine the plan is to announce that at the end of the run?

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I hope they take care of that guy after the run is over.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Donate with that as the message. It would cause so much nerd rage if it got read.

Agreed.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

25% of all donations were toward the save/kill poo poo. It's great.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

snodig posted:

:drat:

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

UraniumAnchor posted:

So its over $1 million again! gently caress yeah congrats UA

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
Jesus kill the animals just pulled off a like 11k swing. Kind of a super bummer since the kill emote sucks, but whatever fights cancer

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

snodig posted:

THE BEST

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Kill the animals is pulling ahead, we need Notch to save us :qq:

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

SealHammer posted:

These Captain Bobtastic donations are way better than this race.

The puns are the highlight of this run.

Spikevegeta is doing a great job by the way.

UraniumAnchor posted:

Over 1 million raised then, awesome! :toot:

Avskum fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 11, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Haha, Spike shutting down the usage of "rad".

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Thanks Internet posted:

I imagine the plan is to announce that at the end of the run?

Dont announce it would be better, keep the donations only hype train rolling

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mycot posted:

I don't know if there's an official statement or if Prime not being canon is just an assumption given how much Other M goes out of its way to contradict it.

oh okay, i never played other m so i didn't know it contradicted prime so much

edit: "when was the last time anyone said rad?" wow wtf spikevegeta

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parasara posted:

I just want to give Epic a hug. The guy looks loving devastated at what i'm sure he believes is ruining the run

I have no pity for the poo poo skills he portrayed in the most important moment in his batshit insane hobby.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

ullerrm posted:

Not really -- you could stick a lot of power in the cartridge too :eng101:

The first round of NES cartridges were simple -- they were just a slab of ROM, and maybe some RAM, with a tiny bit of glue logic to allow you to switch pages of ROM in and out (called a mapper). However, that mapper glue logic quickly got replaced with dedicated chips, that then got expanded with extra functionality.

For example:
* Zelda and Metroid had a custom chip (MMC1) that made it easier to implement the screen scrolling and have save-games.
* Super Mario Bros 2 and 3 added hardware on top of that (MMC3) to count scan lines and notify the CPU when the TV was drawing a specific part of the screen, so that you could easily do status bars.
* Castlevania III's mapper (MMC5) gave you extra RAM, extra sound channels, specialized hardware for tile index expansion, and a tiny math coprocessor.
* Some of the Japanese-only releases went even farther -- the most notable for the NES was an RPG called Lagrange Point, where the cartridge has an entire Yamaha FM synthesizer on it and generates the game's soundtrack on the cart.

This continued in the SNES generation as well; most people know of the SuperFX chip in Starfox, but the real king of this is Super Mario RPG. The SMRPG cart actually has a full second CPU in it that is capable of interrupting the SNES CPU (and runs faster than it), turning the SNES into a dual-core machine. This is why SMRPG didn't work on many emulators until a few years ago, and why it doesn't work on most SNES flash carts.

This is from a while back, but I think the craziest one was some Japanese game that had a 32-bit ARMv3 CPU inside of it.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
How quick Spike forgets Radical Rex :colbert:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

nice try tho

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
holy poo poo epic moved

Adbot