Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The missile combos are all rad. I love the wave buster

even tho it dealt poo poo damage, ghost buster gun was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

even tho it dealt poo poo damage, ghost buster gun was amazing

What? The wavebuster was insane for damage. It just chewed through missiles like no other.

Also Prime, Super, and Zero Mission in no particular order are the top Metroids. This is a highly controversial opinion, but somebody has to be brave enough to say it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Beam combos in Prime 2 were awesome and I don't like what Prime 3 did with beams.

You could fire a sun and make black holes in Prime 2. Not to mention the sonic boom...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Prime 2 has my favorite weapons, ammo is just an annoying concept though and I don't like the environments as much as 1. Except for the techno tower that place is sweet

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i liked the ammo because it balanced out the other beams being so powerful. in MP1 you got the plasma beam and there was no reason to use anything else except on doors and the pirate elites.

what mp3 did with beams is good on paper but in practice it sucked. it just took too long to get upgrades, you're on the default power beam for half the game and then the plasma beam is an extremely mild upgrade.

then at the very end you get a murder cannon that can one/two shot the hardest enemies

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Gonna have to say...

Super > Prime > Prime 2 > Fusion > Zero Mission > Prime 3 > Metroid > Metroid 2

correct

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Prime > Zero Mission > ball of Metroids I can't rank exactly in no particular order: Super, Fusion, Prime 2, Prime 3 > Hunters > Metroid 2 > Metroid >>>> the bad one

Dec 26, 2012

zero mission above super...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

01011001 posted:

zero mission above super...

hosed up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The gameplay and controls are a lot better in Zero

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Zero mission>super

I have only played super and zero mission. I played them both for the first time last year, way after release, and played them right after the each other, starting with super first. I only played super once. I played zero mission enough to beat all the in game time challenges and percent runs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lemming posted:

The gameplay and controls are a lot better in Zero

But the level design is near perfect in Super

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Velthice posted:

Zero mission>super

I have only played super and zero mission. I played them both for the first time last year, way after release, and played them right after the each other, starting with super first. I only played super once. I played zero mission enough to beat all the in game time challenges and percent runs.

You should play Prime, if you can

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

You should play Prime, if you can

I really want to. They all look super fun and cool.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, I forgot about the time where you powerbomb and break the glass tube in super. That poo poo was super cool and blew my mind that it actually worked. I changed my mind, it's a tie.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can do that again in Prime and it's still super loving cool

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
super metroid has best map out of literally any metroidvania game i can think of. nothing really even comes close in my mind.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
oh, and super metroid is being raced right now on agdq so don't loving miss it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

oh, and super metroid is being raced right now on agdq so don't loving miss it.

Its the grandaddy of speedrunning and still the most fun to watch

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
majoras mask is the best metriod

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black August posted:

yeah it's a superb ranking but I'd adjust it just a bit to this for me

Super > Prime > Zero Mission > Fusion > Prime 3 > Prime 2 > Metroid > Metroid II

what's other m I don't recognize that name or the sovereignty of its state

I agree but any sort of listing might imply that those games on the lower end are bad. Cause the worse metroid games are better than many many other games

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mogambo posted:

majoras mask is the best metriod

*draws katana and presses it to your throat wilst i whisper into your ear*
majoras mask is a pretty cool game

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

AHungryRobot posted:

super metroid has best map out of literally any metroidvania game i can think of. nothing really even comes close in my mind.

[In M Bison voice] Yes! Yeeess!!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

imo

Super > Prime > Zero Mission > Prime 3 > Prime 2 > Fusion >>>>> Metroid 2 > Metroid >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a flaming bag of dogshit >>>>>>>>> Other M

the gap between each of the top 6 games are very small, especially between Super and Prime 1

i didn't rank Prime Pinball but that's also very good. there is nothing to not like about pinball games

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 11, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

imo

Super > Prime > Zero Mission > Prime 3 > Prime 2 > Fusion >>>>> Metroid 2 > Metroid >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a flaming bag of dogshit >>>>>>>>> Other M

the gap between each of the top 6 games are very small, especially between Super and Prime 1

i didn't rank Prime Pinball but that's also very good. there is nothing to not like about pinball games

Fusion seems a little low but any Metroid game with loads of cutscenes and dialogue is a weak Metroid game so I can respect the decision.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i wanted to put Fusion higher but i just can't. it's too linear

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But SA-X was a cool villain. Also Samus is basically a walking genetic freak for the majority of the game

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fusion was a really really good game imo. It's linear yeah but it was the first 2-d metroid since Super and by nearly a decade at that, so they might've been thinking of the young gamers just getting gbas. The biggest slight I can think of against fusion is that Other M ripped the poo poo out of the map design and story of Fusion for whatever reason.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Acquire Currency! posted:

Fusion was a really really good game imo. It's linear yeah but it was the first 2-d metroid since Super and by nearly a decade at that, so they might've been thinking of the young gamers just getting gbas. The biggest slight I can think of against fusion is that Other M ripped the poo poo out of the map design and story of Fusion for whatever reason.

Fusion was my first 2D metroid and even then I hated all the text and would skip past it so I could wander around the spooky ship.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But if its a good gateway metroid drug I can live with that

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i really am not a fan of fusion's linearity but it is probably one if not the creepiest and most atmospheric metroid game. very spooky soundtrack + SA-X.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Fusion had the spineshark room secret, and that's pretty cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

guacamelee is a very good metroid game, in the same vein as fusion

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI89FfIEYU4

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Fusion had the spineshark room secret, and that's pretty cool

Fusion also demonstrates that saving the animals is canon

Fusion was my first 2D metroid and even then I hated all the text and would skip past it so I could wander around the spooky ship.

Super was mine but only because my bro got a Super Nintendo.
Tbf I def didn't play it until my gamer brain developed properly enough. Until that happened he just beat me a mario cart

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

But SA-X was a cool villain. Also Samus is basically a walking genetic freak for the majority of the game
it's a very well-made game. i did not come to this decision lightly

i'm debating whether to put it over Prime 2

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the biggest issue with prime 2 other than that goddamn boost ball guardian motherfucker

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My first Metroid was Prime, which is probably why its my favorite. Perfect start to the series though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

What's the biggest issue with prime 2 other than that goddamn boost ball guardian motherfucker
it's a better game after you come back to it after beating it once, but the dark world is ehhhhhh

plus ammo was totally unnecessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My problem is the keys. In every other metroid game up to that point every item you got could be used, and not just to progress past a locked point, which was cool and lead to lots of experimentation. Prime 2 was full of doors that were just like "did you talk to this guy, ok you can pass" which is stupid.

• Locked thread