Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

He forgot to add "A political caroonist thinks they're clever by doing a 'hot takes cartoon'".

We get a cartoon like this after pretty much any kind of tragedy.

Plus at least one 'hot cakes cartoon', but that's just Dan Lacey's thing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Thats our problem. The Matriarchy. Those bastards :argh:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

This is quite cool, I thought you drew it for a minute.

Anyway, the best political cartoon of the year so far is a police sketch of the guy they are trying to catch for the bombing:

Generic whiteman with shades.

Fat Joe Satriani is the cause of all our troubles.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Axe-man posted:

Thats our problem. The Matriarchy. Those bastards :argh:

If the matriarchy was really that powerful wouldn't they be living in Dona Portago's house? :iamafag:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I naturally didn't read that was there a zombie movie released recently or why is daimon green today?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Bor-Jesus Christ more like it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wanna know what I noticed? Not one news story referred to this as terrorism. Funny how that works.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fulchrum posted:

Wanna know what I noticed? Not one news story referred to this as terrorism. Funny how that works.

Was that stuff not even mentioned on the local news? Because from my understanding of America, a lot of that stuff sounds like things that might be happening weekly, and not worth reporting on the national news, especially since nobody got injured. I mean, America is a big country.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Was that stuff not even mentioned on the local news? Because from my understanding of America, a lot of that stuff sounds like things that might be happening weekly, and not worth reporting on the national news, especially since nobody got injured. I mean, America is a big country.

If it hadn't been a white guy it would probably be all over national news.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Can someone please explain to me what Muir is trying to say here, I seriously don't get it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

snakeandbake posted:

Can someone please explain to me what Muir is trying to say here, I seriously don't get it.

"TITTIES!"

That help?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

snakeandbake posted:

It's a bunch of lovely sex puns based around the idea that there will be a revolution of the bourgeois, (that Muir believes are the real "producers") as they strip away liberalism and feminism from our society to regain their rightful power. Damon considers himself a "producer". Damon hasn't had any recognizable sort of job since he and his wife did a faux Hannity&Combs talk radio show many, many years ago.

Muir also considers himself a bourgeois "producer". Muir didn't have enough money to fix the hole in the roof of his shack and survives only on the donations of his fans.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Fulchrum posted:

"TITTIES!"

That help?

Amazingly, I had already noticed the titties (even checked the site for the uncensored version!), but what's he on about with regards to the middlemen, producers, feminism, bourgeois, etc. and what does it have to do with the attacks in France?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

snakeandbake posted:

Amazingly, I had already noticed the titties (even checked the site for the uncensored version!), but what's he on about with regards to the middlemen, producers, feminism, bourgeois, etc?

Persecution complex giving way to really lame innuendos.

e: Hey, I think I just summed up every DbD after Muir lost syndication!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

The United States is admittedly a very violent country by the standards of most other developed nations, but bombings are not exactly a weekly thing. If this had been a different target and perpetrator, it would have been all over the national news.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

e_angst posted:

Muir also considers himself a bourgeois "producer". Muir didn't have enough money to fix the hole in the roof of his shack and survives only on the donations of his fans.
$50 says he's pulling food stamps.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mister Bates posted:

The United States is admittedly a very violent country by the standards of most other developed nations, but bombings are not exactly a weekly thing. If this had been a different target and perpetrator, it would have been all over the national news.

Hm, there's a fair bit of bombing here in Europe (From separatist groups and suchlike), and the vast majority of them fail, doesn't cause much damage or injuries, and therefore you don't hear much about them. Bombings usually don't get major coverage here unless they actually cause some casualties, serious property damage, or if it was a really close call. I just figured it might be a bit of the same in the states, especially with the amount of gun-related deaths you have. Does it get reported nationally if a spree shooter gets taken down before he manages to kill anyone?

Edit: Actually that's a dumb question, he's not exactly a spree-shooter if he doesn't kill anyone. :downs:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

e_angst posted:

It's a bunch of lovely sex puns based around the idea that there will be a revolution of the bourgeois, (that Muir believes are the real "producers") as they strip away liberalism and feminism from our society to regain their rightful power. Damon considers himself a "producer". Damon hasn't had any recognizable sort of job since he and his wife did a faux Hannity&Combs talk radio show many, many years ago.

Look at this guy not remembering that Damon made a SOFTWARE THING that made him millions because reasons. :smug:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
We have significantly better controls on bomb-making material than we do on guns, so it's not surprising we'd have way more shootings than bombings.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Hm, there's a fair bit of bombing here in Europe (From separatist groups and suchlike), and the vast majority of them fail, doesn't cause much damage or injuries, and therefore you don't hear much about them. Bombings usually don't get major coverage here unless they actually cause some casualties, or if it was a really close call. I just figured it might be a bit of the same in the states, especially with the amount of gun-related deaths you have. Does it get reported nationally if a spree shooter gets taken down before he manages to kill anyone?

It depends on the shooter's race and political motive. Same with bombings or any other sort of terrorist plot. A group of lefties that the FBI sweet-talked into trying to blow up a bridge, then immediately arrested for terrorism, got a few little blurbs on the national news a few years back despite literally not even getting to the point of building a bomb, while the attempted bombing of an MLK Day parade back in '11 or so barely even got any coverage on the local TV, despite the fact that there actually was a complete bomb there.

e: Also, yeah, fertilizer is more heavily regulated in much of the US than guns are. Bombings are relatively rare compared to mass shootings because the materials are a lot harder to get; as such, they generally get more coverage, and are seen as more 'serious'.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 11, 2015

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Look at this guy not remembering that Damon made a SOFTWARE THING that made him millions because reasons. :smug:

Chris Muir doesn't even remember that. Hell I don't think he remembers the bar that characters used to own.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

snakeandbake posted:

Amazingly, I had already noticed the titties (even checked the site for the uncensored version!), but what's he on about with regards to the middlemen, producers, feminism, bourgeois, etc. and what does it have to do with the attacks in France?

The liberals are the people that made the attack on CH possible, yet now they're claiming that they're the guardians of liberty. Bourgeois producers like Muir are the true guardians of liberty, though.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Mister Bates posted:

It depends on the shooter's race and political motive. Same with bombings or any other sort of terrorist plot. A group of lefties that the FBI sweet-talked into trying to blow up a bridge, then immediately arrested for terrorism, got a few little blurbs on the national news a few years back despite literally not even getting to the point of building a bomb, while the attempted bombing of an MLK Day parade back in '11 or so barely even got any coverage on the local TV, despite the fact that there actually was a complete bomb there.

e: Also, yeah, fertilizer is more heavily regulated in much of the US than guns are. Bombings are relatively rare compared to mass shootings because the materials are a lot harder to get; as such, they generally get more coverage, and are seen as more 'serious'.

Like most things in the US, it has to actually kill people before we eventually forget about it.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

If you are the middleman then you aren't the producers. :psyduck:

The source image for that house looks really familiar but I don't know what it is from.

i am harry posted:

One time he didn't want to make over a certain amount of money which was theorized because it would put him outside the bracket for aid and/or he misunderstands taxes.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CampingCarl posted:

The source image for that house looks really familiar but I don't know what it is from.

Don Portago's house is literally a replica of Tony Stark's from the Iron Man movies.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Gilganixon posted:

I come here for the cartoons but I stay for the history lessons. Last year was a bit Great War themed, more medieval history this time round would be great thanks.

A helpful thing to remember is that Muhammad and his followers drew from many traditions, but the most fundamental influence on Islam is Christianity. Christianity (in various flavors) dominated the cultural centers of the Middle East during the early Byzantine era, but to many the religion was seen as somewhat "foreign" -- too clerical, too fragmented, too bogged down by pointless theological disputes, too Greek. So while many Arabs espoused Christianity and most were familiar with its myths (rooted as they were in Semitic traditions shared by Jews and Arabs), there was a certain skepticism toward it that kept it from fully supplanting the more "local" gods. The genius of Islam is that it embraced (or appropriated, depending on your perspective) enough elements of Christianity to be appealing and relatable to its adherents while also being critical enough of the churches of the time to mollify those who hated or distrusted them. Early Christian converts to Islam didn't necessarily see themselves as joining a new religion at all. To many, the pure faith in the one true God (or "Allah" if you're an idiot who doesn't understand how translation works), unfettered by "pagan" idolatry, Greek theosophy, or Roman imperial control, represented what Christianity should have been all along.

Why is any of this relevant to us today, or political cartoons in particular? Well, think about it. Islam has defined itself in opposition to Christianity for a very, very long time. Early Muslim critiques of a "corrupt" and "decadent' Christianity find modern echoes in denunciations of the "godless" West. In both cases the point is not to attack what it is to be Christian/Western, but to dictate what it is to be Muslim/Arab. The phrase "clash of civilizations" may be a 20th century invention, but the ideology itself is much older. The point of "sharpening the contradictions" isn't to attack outsiders, but rather to control insiders. When a shithead like Glenn McCoy draws his disgusting Arab caricatures, it looks like he's attacking an out-group ("take that you filthy terrorists!") but he's actually trying to control his own group ("think like I do or you're just like those filthy terrorists!"). He and his tribe may say they're just mocking extremists and rant righteously about the power of the pen, but at it's all a bit disingenuous when you consider how many Muslim radicals are in his audience. The same critique, sadly, can probably be made of Charlie Hebdo. Though their cartoons are more mocking than hateful, it seems highly unlikely that they counted many FN supporters, Muslim fundamentalists, or conservative Christians among their readership. Now don't get me wrong, mocking your political opponents as a way of firing up or amusing your supporters is a long and, in many cases worthy, tradition in its own right (we certainly do it often enough), but there's nothing terribly revolutionary or transgressive about it and the typical response from the other side is generally "well, you would say that, wouldn't you?" I'd be interested to know how often CH challenged the prejudices and pieties of its own (secular lefty) readership, because, to my mind, true satire is about forcing your audience to come to terms with the contradictions and absurdities in their own worldview, not just mocking them in others. True satire is also really goddamn hard to pull off.

Rorus Raz posted:

He forgot to add "A political caroonist thinks they're clever by doing a 'hot takes cartoon'".

We get a cartoon like this after pretty much any kind of tragedy.
...and they're usually by Tom Tomorrow. I loved the last panel though.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

i am harry posted:

Well, if Social Security and Medicaid was good enough Ayn Rand, it should be good enough for Muir.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CampingCarl posted:

One time he didn't want to make over a certain amount of money which was theorized because it would put him outside the bracket for aid and/or he misunderstands taxes.
Xylo's explained it before, but at one point Muir said he cuts it off at around $12,000 or so to prevent entering a higher tax bracket. Basically Muir doesn't understand that the extra money he'd be pulling in would outweigh whatever extra he'd be paying in taxes.

Muir's an idiot, basically.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Pththya-lyi posted:

The liberals are the people that made the attack on CH possible, yet now they're claiming that they're the guardians of liberty. Bourgeois producers like Muir are the true guardians of liberty, though.

I still don't really get it, so I'm going to just assume that the best explanation is "Chris 'I don't understand marginal tax brackets' Muir is a loving idiot" (which applies to pretty much every single DbD).

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Op-Ed from Kreider today:

quote:

Much as I admire Steve Bell’s caricatures of George W. Bush as a dung-flinging chimpanzee, it’s hard to imagine them landing the former president in The Hague. Most daily editorial cartoonists in the United States produce work about as incisive as a prime-time sitcom, and the rest are consigned to niche markets where they preach to their demographic choirs. I have to wonder whether any of my colleagues felt the same queasy mix of emotions I did on hearing about the assassinations in Paris: beneath the outrage, sorrow and solidarity, a small, irrational twinge of guilt that we’re not doing anything worth shooting us over.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/opinion/sunday/when-art-is-dangerous-or-not.html?_r=0

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

He's great

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

Don Portago's house is literally a replica of Tony Stark's from the Iron Man movies.
I don't think so unless there is another besides that curvy house. The one in DbD is one of those modern blocky houses.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CampingCarl posted:

I don't think so unless there is another besides that curvy house. The one in DbD is one of those modern blocky houses.

It's a different house in today's strip, but before it's literally been the curvy Stark house.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
To be honest, I'm still kind of surprised no one ever even attempted to take a shot at Kreider over his Guns Are For Pussies comic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

To be honest, I'm still kind of surprised no one ever even attempted to take a shot at Kreider over his Guns Are For Pussies comic.
Hey, if you're going to bring up Kreider's art, at least have the decency to post it :colbert:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

It's a good thing Tim Kreider has never done anything racially questionable! From "What Now for the Giant Squid", Oct. 5, 2005:

• Locked thread