Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree on the ammo thing. But the suit designs were fantastic. Also the boss design, for the most part, were top tier in all of the series. Quadrax is great but the fight with Dark Samus at the end is one of the best moments in the series.

That arm canon raise

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

My problem is the keys. In every other metroid game up to that point every item you got could be used, and not just to progress past a locked point, which was cool and lead to lots of experimentation. Prime 2 was full of doors that were just like "did you talk to this guy, ok you can pass" which is stupid.
oh yeah i forgot about that one. it's like Retro wanted to go more into the direction of an FPS but pulled their punches a little bit

on the other hand, it has some of the best boss battles in the Prime series. Quadraxis & the final Dark Samus battle are great, as are Chykka & Amorbis

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The light suit is also baller as gently caress and #1 best suit

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

What's the biggest issue with prime 2 other than that goddamn boost ball guardian motherfucker

Lower Torvus bog is loving terrible, pirate area is pretty short, keyhunt at the end is generally pretty aggravating.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Its still pretty good though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lemming posted:

The light suit is also baller as gently caress and #1 best suit

Dark suit was cooler than light suit. Everything is better than Fusion's varia and gravity suits, though. drat those things were hideous.

Since there is supposedly a new Metroid in the works if the rumors are to be believed, I wonder if they'll make it post-Fusion. It would be neat to actually make some use of Samus apparently now being part metroid and maybe a little X thrown in to boot, but considering she's kind of on the Federation's poo poo list for trashing their space station, top secret Metroid research, and the surface of SR-388, getting missions from them might be a little difficult. It would be kind of lame if they just go the route of another game in between other games with another space pirate metroid research program on another planet the Chozo hosed up and getting all of her equipment ruined by another explosion or for no reason at all.

And if it is post-Fusion, keep the Fusion suit, go back to the classic one, or have a new one entirely?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 11, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope theres no story whatsoever and you just land somewhere and start getting powerups

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

Dark suit was cooler than light suit. Everything is better than Fusion's varia and gravity suits, though. drat those things were hideous.

Since there is supposedly a new Metroid in the works if the rumors are to be believed, I wonder if they'll make it post-Fusion. It would be neat to actually make some use of Samus apparently now being part metroid and maybe a little X thrown in to boot, but considering she's kind of on the Federation's poo poo list for trashing their space station, top secret Metroid research, and the surface of SR-388, getting missions from them might be a little difficult. It would be kind of lame if they just go the route of another game in between other games with another space pirate metroid research program on another planet the Chozo hosed up and getting all of her equipment ruined by another explosion or for no reason at all.

And if it is post-Fusion, keep the Fusion suit, go back to the classic one, or have a new one entirely?

Well at the end of Fusion after she absorbs the SA-X I think the suit stops being grafted to her skin (jfc) so I think she can go back to reg suits

I hope theres no story whatsoever and you just land somewhere and start getting powerups

Let us pray

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's basically what prime was, which is why it's so cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres quite a bit of story in prime, but you have to dig for it and scan poo poo. or you can completely ignore it. that is why prime is the best

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I love the Dark Suit's design. I was disappointed when my sweet rims on the dark suit got replaced with wiffle balls full of incandescent bulbs

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
it's sort of cool because usually suit upgrades make samus' suit more bulky but the light suit is really streamlined compared to the dark suit.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

theres quite a bit of story in prime, but you have to dig for it and scan poo poo. or you can completely ignore it. that is why prime is the best

Yeah its the perfect implementation, if you care enough about the "why" for all the levels you can dig into it, but for most people it was just "man look how cool this place is"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This is what i hated about prime 2 and 3.

Prime 1 you land and you set about exploring this interconnected place

prime 2 and 3 start complicating the game world's design and fragmenting the areas so much it becomes less interesting to me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

This is what i hated about prime 2 and 3.

Prime 1 you land and you set about exploring this interconnected place

prime 2 and 3 start complicating the game world's design and fragmenting the areas so much it becomes less interesting to me.

Agreed. See the tier list in the OP for more of my thoughts

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
this thread inspired me to fire up Metroid Prime on my old-rear end Sony Wega and boy, for a console fps from 2002 it still looks drat good.

also probably has the best title screen & music of any game ever.

also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnC85I3wneg

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
prime 2 kinda does a thing that fusion does that i don't like where some of the progression comes from just arbitrarily being able to open certain color doors rather than it coming from your new abilities. in prime 2 it was with the color-coded things you have to scan and fusion has the different access levels for the doors. i prefer the progression coming from some new ability you get and not "you got the red key card" or w/e.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I cannot accept that zero mission is better than super

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

imho fusion might be higher on my personal list than zero mission

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

nah

Zodar
May 21, 2007

I prefer Fusion to Zero Mission for personal reasons but I acknowledge the latter as the better game in most respects

Prime 1 is one of few games that I'm grateful to have played, and I wish there were more games that tried to follow in its footsteps. I realize it had a really wide influence in terms of UI/HUD design, the aesthetic side of level design, and integrating infodumps into gameplay, but its DNA is most visible in trash like the Arkham games, and that is a shame to me.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah a really annoying thing about prime 2 was how much you were forced to watch cutscenes and poo poo and story exposure in order to get the stupid color-coded door upgrade

i guess no one at retro realized that what made prime 1 so good was the feeling of isolation and that you were just exploring this living breathing world that was being hosed by the space pirates and prime, prime 2 had story exposure and cutscenes and poo poo and prime 3 just went full on SAMUS YOU NEED TO HERE NOW SAMUS THERE IS A DISTRESS SIGNAL ugh

i guess they did it to appeal to japan who likes that poo poo but they clearly dont give a poo poo about metroid at all so who cares

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually I thought it was because most of the people who were responsible for Prime 1 left Retro by the time 2 was about to ship. Maybe Im making that up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nevermind that was after Corruption was wrapped up.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

coincidentally the prime series has the same exact problem the souls series had, as the gameplay and visuals improved the overall feel of the game, story, immersion etc. went to poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THe drop in quality between Prime 1 and Prime 3 is dramatically larger than between Demons and Dark 2. I mean prime 3 is barely recognizable as a metroid prime sequel, while Dark Souls II is still a really good souls game with different environments.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm going to replay Prime 2 right now.

Also I like both the Artifact quest in Prime 1 and the Sky Temple Keys in Prime 2. You can start collecting both before you actually need them and I think exploring the world to find them all is really fun. As far as ammo goes, you can just shoot a crate with light or dark beam to get ammo of the other type. Shooting crates with the Annihilator Beam creates ammo of both types. You can really only run out on boss fights and I think having to choose the best time to use each beam was a good idea.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

yeah metroid owns

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i like the artifact/key/powercell hunting in all the primes. it makes backtracking for all the upgrades you missed feel like part of the main quest instead of just dicking around and postponing the final fight.

one of my favorite games, ZM, did this in the worst way because you get several major upgrades like 1 minute before the final boss and you're expected to re-track the whole game world just because. i mean all the puzzles they hid behind areas only accessible to the gravity suit and space jump and poo poo were really awesome but drat did that feel awkward

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also really love the light suit. the dark suit looks cool but it also has this clunky built-out-of-necessity look to it, whereas the lightsuit slims you down and is all smooth and poo poo because it's this super high-tech chozo/luminoth fusion of tech. being impervious to all dark stuff as a final upgrade was really neat, too.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
the dark world mechanic is one of the things I like most about Prime 2. there's this choking feeling of being in an incredibly hostile environment but it doesn't actually limit you from exploring it. the self-limitation in the early dark world is great.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

the dark world mechanic is one of the things I like most about Prime 2. there's this choking feeling of being in an incredibly hostile environment but it doesn't actually limit you from exploring it. the self-limitation in the early dark world is great.

prime 2 crushes you down and lets you build back up but that kills the replay value for me even though it's hella satisfying once

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i liked the idea of ing being corrupted by your upgrades and using them against you, it was cool to have your own power bombs thrown at you and stuff like that.

dark-infected enemies were cool as hell too. it's too bad that dark commandos are all you loving see after a while and they're never worth the fight. one of the weak points of the game for me tbh, especially when the regular pirate commandos were really fun and crazy but you only fight like 6 total in the game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the dark beam is sick as hell but it's also rarely useful and that's a shame

the black and white cookie beam is just bad even though it has sort of a cool missile combo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

the dark beam is sick as hell but it's also rarely useful and that's a shame

the black and white cookie beam is just bad even though it has sort of a cool missile combo

the dark beam murdered everything that wasn't classified as a "dark" enemy, which includes dark samus (to tell you it was metroid prime). it also froze the hardest normal enemies and let you shatter them with missiles.

the annihilator beam was good but it wasn't as good as light on dark or dark on light so there was never a situation where you would use it over them. it was a loving boss killer though, totally shreds emperor ing.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

mario is the best faranchise

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the dark beam was a recolor of the ice beam, yes, but it's usually not needed

i think it works really well on pirate commandos for some reason? like, dark pirate commandos

light beam charge shot is so, so good and satisfying

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

mario is the best faranchise

I'll allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

How is the Annihilator beam bad? The base shot homes in on stuff and the charge shot does an insane amount of damage to everything, plus you get ammo of both types when you kill things. wtf.

• Locked thread