Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powershift posted:

With more power, the manufacturer can give the car a more linear throttle without it feeling underpowered.

Getting out of a vehicle with american throttle mapping into something linear with equal power almost feels like there's resistance, like something is holding the vehicle back. That's why most vehicles these days, trucks especially, seem to give 80% throttle on 10% pedal. Faking fast. with 560hp, that obviously wouldn't be a problem.

The worst car for this that I've driven was a Citroën C1. With all of 69hp from a 1.0L 3-cylinder and a front-loaded throttle map, I barely had to touch the throttle in neutral for the revs to shoot to 3K. Once it got going it wasn't nearly as bad, but setting off smoothly took some getting used to. The brakes were really touchy too, which is another modern trick to make the brakes feel more powerful. Combined with the low weight and the brilliant rasp from the little engine, it did make the car feel very sprightly and immediate.

Coming back to my older and bigger Peugeot felt very strange. The throttle map is much more linear, the brakes are significantly less boosted, and it weighs a good 500kg more than the C1. For a little while, it seriously felt like something was wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

With more power, the manufacturer can give the car a more linear throttle without it feeling underpowered.

Getting out of a vehicle with american throttle mapping into something linear with equal power almost feels like there's resistance, like something is holding the vehicle back. That's why most vehicles these days, trucks especially, seem to give 80% throttle on 10% pedal. Faking fast. with 560hp, that obviously wouldn't be a problem.

A lot of that is also due to tuning for mileage/emissions.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Boss posted:

Welp guess it's time to fly over to Germany, buy an RS6 and go on the road trip of a life time to Singapore.

Sell the car. Rinse and repeat until I'm a millionaire.

If you can even legally get the car on the road there you'd still need to pay the $400,000 (or whatever it works out to be) tax to get it into the country.

Also Singapore is RHD so the car would need to come from the UK or Japan

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Capitalist paradise, bribe someone.

Boss
Feb 23, 2011

dissss posted:

If you can even legally get the car on the road there you'd still need to pay the $400,000 (or whatever it works out to be) tax to get it into the country.

Also Singapore is RHD so the car would need to come from the UK or Japan

I actually did a quick google search because I figured this was the case. It seems like you only have to pay 10,000 and an assload of paper work. I'm sure theres something I'm missing otherwise someone would've done this, but it's fun to dream/joke about.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Boss posted:

I actually did a quick google search because I figured this was the case. It seems like you only have to pay 10,000 and an assload of paper work. I'm sure theres something I'm missing otherwise someone would've done this, but it's fun to dream/joke about.

I'm sure they'd quickly find a reason to arrest and then flog you.

Singapore is fun, but Jesus loving Christ you have to be careful.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Boss posted:

That $10,000 fee is actually on top of the normal duties

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Boss posted:

Singapore is bureaucratic af but they aren't really out to get you or anything

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2.7 ecoboost v6 in a transverse vehicle

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/10/2016-lincoln-mkx-images-details-leak/

next stop, focus RS! who's ready for 375ft/lbs in a front wheel drive.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Powershift posted:

gently caress me, give us an AWD Fusion SHO already!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Isn't the RS rumored to most likely get the 2.3? Which is already in a transverse, AWD application?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

Isn't the RS rumored to most likely get the 2.3? Which is already in a transverse, AWD application?

Yeah, but a guy can dream :(

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Powershift posted:

I'm one of the people hoping the RS is AWD :( :(

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm one of the people hoping the RS is AWD :( :(

Most publications seem to be writing about it as AWD like it's a confirmed fact; but I haven't seen it confirmed by Ford yet so... :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

there's really no reason for it not to be other than the accounting department throwing a fit.
What i would like to see out of the detroit auto show.

ford:
3.5 ecoboost raptor. 380hp/460ft/llbs
350hp AWD focus 2.3eb RS
new ford GT, under 100 grand packing the 5.2 flat plane
Lincoln continental. RWD, anything beyond that is gravy.
Long shot: new lightning with the gt500s 5.8

GM:
new camaro
something production ready budget performance. maybe production code 130r

chrysler:
hellcat ram
hellcat wrangler
hellcat durango
hellcat dart
hellcat renegade

what we're likely to be dissapointed with:

ford:
6.2 raptor
concept only gt
fwd focus rs

GM:
eco this, emissions that

chrysler:
underpowered overpriced diesels

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 11, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There's also apparently this on the Ford side of things

:shrug:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

something production ready budget performance. maybe production code 130r

I think they already said that concept wasn't going anywhere. The Chevy Bolt (small SUV with Volt powertrain) is confirmed though.

EDIT: Kudos to GM for always giving appropriate model names to bars of soap on wheels that weigh 3800bs and have 84 hp engines.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Powershift posted:

there's really no reason for it not to be other than the accounting department throwing a fit.
What i would like to see out of the detroit auto show.

ford:
3.5 ecoboost raptor. 380hp/460ft/llbs
350hp AWD focus 2.3eb RS
new ford GT, under 100 grand packing the 5.2 flat plane
Lincoln continental. RWD, anything beyond that is gravy.
Long shot: new lightning with the gt500s 5.8

GM:
new camaro
I haven't seen anything saying to expect the new Camaro at detroit, and I really doubt the new GT will be under $100k (the 2005 era ones were $150k iirc, and Im sure the number is going to go up). I'd love to see an honest to god 2-door 2-seat sports car of a Corvette competitor out of Ford (GT350 is close and I'm sure it'll get cross shopped quite a bit, but thats not really the same thing), but its not going to be the GT.

Phoenix is the new GT, hummingbird II is the GT350 LS (I expect they'll leave "R" for the not-streetable race version, while they'll re-use LS for the no-back seat super track focused version).

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 11, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Blah. No new Taurus SHO or Fusion ST/Sport.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2016 buick cascada

1.6 liter, 200hp, 206ft/lbs, and while that sounds impressive, remember that this car is nearly 4000lbs.

200hp, fwd, solid rear axle, 3800+lbs, and likely 40 grand. should sell like hotcakes.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Weirdly enough I think the front end looks like a Saturn.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
There are going to be so loving many of those in my city, we're plagued with Sebrings and landau tops. I've seen 3 different Murano cross cabriolets at one time even.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, they couldn't even be hosed to put the buick family grille on it. They literally just stuck a buick badge on the opel grille

I wouldn't be surprised if you could just pop the buick logo off, and the opel one would still be there under it.

meet new GM, same as the old GM.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Powershift posted:

2016 buick cascada

1.6 liter, 200hp, 206ft/lbs, and while that sounds impressive, remember that this car is nearly 4000lbs.

200hp, fwd, solid rear axle, 3800+lbs, and likely 40 grand. should sell like hotcakes.

In Europe it's sold with even less powerful engines. The lowest end models has almost half the horsepower of the one they're going to be selling in America.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, but europe also has 60hp hatchbacks, so they're used to not being able to get anywhere on time.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

I think you're pretty much right on.

Press day is Monday right? Meaning most of the big announcements should come then?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

I think you're pretty much right on.

Press day is Monday right? Meaning most of the big announcements should come then?

Yeah, today is the chaff day. when manufacturers get out all the junk that'll be forgotten once the good stuff is announced.

monday the stage shows and unveilings and stuff happens.

i'm surprised there haven't been any real teasers.

http://www.naias.com/2015-show/public-show.aspx

that page title :pervert:

incase it gets fixed.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 11, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How much fun is that engine going to be to work on in that kind of fitment? Mitsubishi 3000GT fun?

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but europe also has 60hp hatchbacks, so they're used to not being able to get anywhere on time.
The 60bhp hatchbacks don't weigh much, and if you drive them like a lunatic, you make quite good progress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

How much fun is that engine going to be to work on in that kind of fitment? Mitsubishi 3000GT fun?

The 60bhp hatchbacks don't weigh much, and if you drive them like a lunatic, you make quite good progress.

It's a really small, narrow angle engine. doing the back turbo might be a pain in the rear end, but filters or plugs should be easy as hell.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

2016 buick cascada

That's what any good cruiser needs, a solid rear axle.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

skipdogg posted:

Blah. No new Taurus SHO or Fusion ST/Sport.

Certainly disappointing on the Fusion. While the 2.0EB is no slouch, throwing the 2.3EB in there would make an already great car amazing. It already handles extremely well and looks great, but making it 310hp, 320ftlbs would be icing on the cake. I'd have to consider trading my Fusion Ti if that happens someday soon.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Powershift posted:

Yeah, they couldn't even be hosed to put the buick family grille on it. They literally just stuck a buick badge on the opel grille

I wouldn't be surprised if you could just pop the buick logo off, and the opel one would still be there under it.

meet new GM, same as the old GM.

Haha what the gently caress. Were Buick grills deemed to expensive or something, god drat GM will never change.

Its probably because it is built in Europe and was just a quick and dirty NA version.

BabyMauler fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 11, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Certainly disappointing on the Fusion. While the 2.0EB is no slouch, throwing the 2.3EB in there would make an already great car amazing. It already handles extremely well and looks great, but making it 310hp, 320ftlbs would be icing on the cake. I'd have to consider trading my Fusion Ti if that happens someday soon.

Or they could stick the twin-turbo straight-six in the Fusion. :getin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

El Scotch posted:

Or they could stick the twin-turbo straight-six in the Fusion. :getin:
Straight-six twin turbo in a transverse application? Well, Ford did own Volvo for a while...

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

2016 buick cascada

Overweight, 200hp, FWD, $40k... It's the Saab 9-3SE Convertible back to life!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Powershift posted:

It's a really small, narrow angle engine. doing the back turbo might be a pain in the rear end, but filters or plugs should be easy as hell.

It's a really cool little engine but how much does it weigh? Given the turbos and iron block it might be a bit piggish for a FWD car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

It's a really cool little engine but how much does it weigh? Given the turbos and iron block it might be a bit piggish for a FWD car.

The 1.0 ecoboost is traditional cast iron. The 2.7 is CGI, compacted graphite iron, really neat stuff. closer to aluminum in terms of strength/weight and corrosion resistance. The difference between the all aluminum n/a 3.5 and CGI/aluminum twin turbo 2.7 with the turbo and intercooler and everything is less than 100lbs. It's 80lbs lighter than the all aluminum 5.0 V8.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

That's pretty neat, I didn't know CGI allowed that level of weight savings.

It does however raise the question of why Ford can't drop a tuned 2.7 in the Mustang instead of the 2.3.

Also put it in the Focus RS gently caress it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

It does however raise the question of why Ford can't drop a tuned 2.7 in the Mustang instead of the 2.3.

:byodood: FUEL EFFICIENCY :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Wheeee posted:

That's pretty neat, I didn't know CGI allowed that level of weight savings.

Also put it in the Focus RS gently caress it.
Probably too big for the Focus. The 2.7EB would be a ton of fun in the Mustang. It has less room to grow, however, as I think stock its like 27psi.