Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

gnarlyhotep posted:

these posts alone are worth keeping the thread open

when he's hot he can whip out dozens of these like it ain't no thang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

bonestructure posted:

when he's hot he can whip out dozens of these like it ain't no thang

it's like some sort of schizo improv

"Hey! Hey! Do timecube next!"

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Urban Smurf posted:

M and B are set in stone
Mozart and Beethoven, composers of music which is conducted.

This is the Celtic prize. CELTIC ... "C ILECT" = "see" + "elect". This goes two ways, 1) those who are elected and 2) electricity.

R is for Roosevelt, L is for Lincoln, Grant Park, near the Van Buren train stop, at East Jackson Drive...

I came to the conclusion that the "Fair Folks treasure holder" at "the end of ten by thirteen" could be the 1913 patent holder of Tungsten whom has the same name as a President: William Coolidge. I noticed that by addition 10 by 13 is 23. The 23rd letter of the alphabet is W, also the chemical symbol for Tungsten, the high melting point metal used in the composition of light bulbs.

Tung means "heavy", sten means "stone" (swedish). Many clues in the Chicago puzzle point to things which involve conducting: music, trains, ornamental lightning rods on the rooftops of the giant's hat. The LotJ gives us a great clue: Brilliant as eyes, Celtic emerald, cold morning green. Electric lamps are brilliant. Also, cold morning's could be in the twenties...Andrew Jackson on the 20 dollar bill... Maybe this embodies the nature of this Celtic puzzle: it's about power (electricity) and money (green). Most money has Presidents' faces. Maybe Coolidge is also a reason why Preiss made the word choice "cold morning".

The Chicago finders dug a lot of holes and most folks seem to think a tree grid is the crucial component to locating the cask. I think the real method involves relating all the clues to electricity, like the lightning rods on all the rooftops or the electrified train system, and the windmill is a power generator. This involves noticing the electic powered lamp fixtures in the setting, not a bunch of trees in a grid that has never been proven to be exactly 10x13 in size.

Jackson has street lamps along either side and a second set of lamps are attached to parapets along the bridge's shoulder. The last parapet on the end meets the path that leads south into Grant Park. This reminds me of the fairy from the book sitting on a pedestal/parapet structure with a long shovel in the first pages of the book. Go 13 paces south from this parapet to a spot thats in between the first park lamp and the fence post halo. Then walk 10 paces towards the fence post and center your shovel on the first lamp fixture on the bridge shoulder to the north.

E: I'm trying to establish that there is a clear albeit tricky rear end method at work in these puzzles. The poor assumptions that have become the foundation for what people think has defined how these puzzles work has become a greater obstacle than just the passage of time. Everything seems to apply if you look more closely at the introductory stories and poems leading to the 12 paintings and verses.

:allears:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

gnarlyhotep posted:

it's like some sort of schizo improv

"Hey! Hey! Do timecube next!"
i was educated stupid and i'm lovin it :swoon:

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I was told someone dug at the Kosciuszko monument in Milwaukee back in the Summer. Whoever it was, please PM me. I'd like to help.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Urban Smurf posted:

I was told someone dug at the Kosciuszko monument in Milwaukee back in the Summer. Whoever it was, please PM me. I'd like to help.

I'm thinking your legal guardian forgot to give you your daily meds and/or left you alone at home without disconnecting the wifi.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tony Homo posted:

I'm thinking your legal guardian forgot to give you your daily meds and/or left you alone at home without disconnecting the wifi.
you're still too stressed out. come on man, no need to get so mad over holes in the ground :byob1:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Ignore them, Urban Smurf. Haters gonna hAte. Just keep on doing your thing.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
With regard to the Jackson Bridge Reconstruction in 2007-2008 along Grant Park in Chicago, I found a article that states the work was to restore the bridge to its original specification while making some structural reinforcements. The lamp fixtures and balustrades were added. That leaves some doubt as to how well my theory plays out. I suppose the original street side lamps were there in 1982, but the secondary lamps on the bridge shoulder didn't exist until 2008. Just for the record, I don't know for sure if the parapets were restored to their original state or there in the first place. I still think the tree grid is bunk. Tungsten halogen lamps is where its at.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Tony Homo posted:

Dude, urban smurf used to post his amazing theories daily before the unfunny GBS nerd brigade ground this thread to a halt. Just hang back and enjoy.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
Urban smurf will find the treasure

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Urban smurf is the treasure

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Urban Smurf posted:

Lol. This is great. Because not only did someone attempt to snag a cask based on stealing xie's theory but, someone tried to snag a cask based on stealing an Urban Smurf theory.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Urban Smurf posted:

M and B are set in stone
Mozart and Beethoven, composers of music which is conducted.

This is the Celtic prize. CELTIC ... "C ILECT" = "see" + "elect". This goes two ways, 1) those who are elected and 2) electricity.

R is for Roosevelt, L is for Lincoln, Grant Park, near the Van Buren train stop, at East Jackson Drive...

I came to the conclusion that the "Fair Folks treasure holder" at "the end of ten by thirteen" could be the 1913 patent holder of Tungsten whom has the same name as a President: William Coolidge. I noticed that by addition 10 by 13 is 23. The 23rd letter of the alphabet is W, also the chemical symbol for Tungsten, the high melting point metal used in the composition of light bulbs.

Tung means "heavy", sten means "stone" (swedish). Many clues in the Chicago puzzle point to things which involve conducting: music, trains, ornamental lightning rods on the rooftops of the giant's hat. The LotJ gives us a great clue: Brilliant as eyes, Celtic emerald, cold morning green. Electric lamps are brilliant. Also, cold morning's could be in the twenties...Andrew Jackson on the 20 dollar bill... Maybe this embodies the nature of this Celtic puzzle: it's about power (electricity) and money (green). Most money has Presidents' faces. Maybe Coolidge is also a reason why Preiss made the word choice "cold morning".

The Chicago finders dug a lot of holes and most folks seem to think a tree grid is the crucial component to locating the cask. I think the real method involves relating all the clues to electricity, like the lightning rods on all the rooftops or the electrified train system, and the windmill is a power generator. This involves noticing the electic powered lamp fixtures in the setting, not a bunch of trees in a grid that has never been proven to be exactly 10x13 in size.

Jackson has street lamps along either side and a second set of lamps are attached to parapets along the bridge's shoulder. The last parapet on the end meets the path that leads south into Grant Park. This reminds me of the fairy from the book sitting on a pedestal/parapet structure with a long shovel in the first pages of the book. Go 13 paces south from this parapet to a spot thats in between the first park lamp and the fence post halo. Then walk 10 paces towards the fence post and center your shovel on the first lamp fixture on the bridge shoulder to the north.

E: I'm trying to establish that there is a clear albeit tricky rear end method at work in these puzzles. The poor assumptions that have become the foundation for what people think has defined how these puzzles work has become a greater obstacle than just the passage of time. Everything seems to apply if you look more closely at the introductory stories and poems leading to the 12 paintings and verses.

You need to either start taking drugs or stop taking drugs. Just do whatever one you're not doing already.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Someone asked me to find that pic of the tree next to a bench along the roadway near the Palace of the Legion of Honor.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

Someone asked me to find that pic of the tree next to a bench along the roadway near the Palace of the Legion of Honor.

What was the reasoning behind this?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

What's my reasoning?

Image 1 Verse 7: San Francisco

From far Cathay, the Dragon's pearl:
Chaste, perfect as the silver moon

Two key insights may be drawn from each of the Litany of the Jewels poems that precedes the verse/image puzzles.
1) Chaste, I believe refers to something very simple and ordinary
2) perfect as the silver moon, I believe refers to the relatively small lunar body's capacity to reflect powerful rays of the much more massive sun.

This bench near this tree is plain and ordinary as can be and yet it reflects or shares the same general shape as the glorious Golden Gate Bridge. I arrived at this vantage point unaware that a tree would contain the characteristic shape of the dragon's head and woman's arms.

It helps that the long rectangular shape of the bench is similar to the long rectangle on the woman's dress. It also represents something like the table that a watch sits upon. Although I find the disc shape of the table draws its inspiration from the large pool out front of the Palace of the Legion of Honor. The support beneath resembles the balusters that surround the parking area.

The verse gave me the idea to look for a bench in the reference to Twain. I believe the "object of Twain's attention" is ultra subtle. Twain is a writer. A writer writes sentences. Sentences have indirect and direct objects. This combines with the context of Justice and the imagery of a prison in the distant background. A sentence is also something which a Judge hands to a convicted criminal. The alternate name for a Judge is "The Bench".

There's a lot of other details that I feel fit the Palace of the Legion of Honor, mainly the fact that two pieces of August Rodin's masterpiece The Gates of Hell were displayed there. The Thinker in the courtyard and the Three Shades at the end of the parking area stood upon a giant pedestal (ped = step). In the center of the parking area in 1982 stood the very large flag pole known as the Betsy Ross Memorial Flagpole. Very little photographic evidence of all this exists for some ungodly reason. It took a long loving time piecing this together. Anyway, I took the giant pole and giant step as two points to go in that direction until I found something interesting and I discovered the benches that sat across the road from the 15th hole of the Lincoln Park golf course. (Yes, I verified that the 15th hole is currently and has always been the 15th hole area, since someone suggested that golf courses change their holes around).

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Urban Smurf posted:

somebody please break the news to him, I can't bear to do it

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Urban Smurf posted:

The verse gave me the idea to look for a bench in the reference to Twain. I believe the "object of Twain's attention" is ultra subtle. Twain is a writer. A writer writes sentences. Sentences have indirect and direct objects. This combines with the context of Justice and the imagery of a prison in the distant background. A sentence is also something which a Judge hands to a convicted criminal. The alternate name for a Judge is "The Bench".

What

This sounds like crazy person logic. This is the logic that a crazy person would use. "Object of Twain's attention" -> "Bench" is not a logical leap anyone would ever make in any universe

I mean I hate to say negative things about Urban Smurf, but it's just... so baffling

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

HJE-Cobra posted:

What

This sounds like crazy person logic. This is the logic that a crazy person would use. "Object of Twain's attention" -> "Bench" is not a logical leap anyone would ever make in any universe

I mean I hate to say negative things about Urban Smurf, but it's just... so baffling

What's crazy is not having the context for the riddle. I spelled it out for you in clear contextual steps.

What's really hard to deal with is seeing how people point to just about anything as Twain's focus and it's almost always some random poo poo. Yeah, Twain liked Joan of Arc, or he liked ferry boats, etc, but try and start at a sensible and clever place like I have with the Thinker of the Gates of Hell being "At stone walls door", knowing full well that people sometimes use the idiom "I've hit a stone wall" to say they've thought of everything they can and still can't find the answer to a tough question. I think you get my point. I'm a bit of a crackpot, but take a minute to consider these puzzles...they be crazy to begin with. poo poo.

E: Anyway, I don't mind explaining my reasoning. There's not going to be any easy answers for the remaining puzzles. People gotta deal with it.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 11, 2015

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Urban Smurf posted:

Seriously, have you ever been evaluated for a thought disorder?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Seriously, have you ever been evaluated for a thought disorder?

Why do you ask? I mean, why would you see something disordered with recognizing Twain is a writer, or that a writer writes sentences, or that sentences have grammatical structure, or that a riddle that uses the subject of a "sentence" might make a lateral movement to a principle function of a Judge, or that a Judge is also known as the Bench?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Urban Smurf posted:

Why do you ask?

This is exactly why he was asking. The reason you don't understand is why he is asking if you have been diagnosed. But you haven't which is why you are confused.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

This is exactly why he was asking. The reason you don't understand is why he is asking if you have been diagnosed. But you haven't which is why you are confused.

No, I think he was asking because he's an idiot who needs you to speak for him.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

One thing I enjoy about Urban Smurf's theories is that they are often reliant on the internet, recent photographs on the web, aerial photography, schematics, et cetera -- things that wouldn't necessarily have been so accessible or even "thought about" by the average solver in 1981, but would be today. Like, if you wondered what it would take to make a modern visual puzzle hard but still solvable, where people with ready access to GIS and stuff would still need to work... you'd probably have to narrow it down to a single city for people, but your solutions might resemble some of Urban Smurf's solutions.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hello it's okay, everyone calm down, I am an Internet Doctor and I diagnose several posters with Armchairius Psychologistus, a rather nasty symptom of which is making public what would perhaps better suit a PM and thinking that this is E/N

Calling Urban Smurf out on relying on the internet is valid though, because there can be an actual response to that beyond "You're crazy" "No I'm not" "You wouldn't know, you're crazy"

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

Urban Smurf posted:

Why do you ask?

Are you not aware that most of the thread is just humoring you, and having a laugh at your expense?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

homullus posted:

One thing I enjoy about Urban Smurf's theories is that they are often reliant on the internet, recent photographs on the web, aerial photography, schematics, et cetera -- things that wouldn't necessarily have been so accessible or even "thought about" by the average solver in 1981, but would be today. Like, if you wondered what it would take to make a modern visual puzzle hard but still solvable, where people with ready access to GIS and stuff would still need to work... you'd probably have to narrow it down to a single city for people, but your solutions might resemble some of Urban Smurf's solutions.

I use to rely heavily on such methods. Then I wised up and figured out how to use the tools to express my ideas, knowing full well that there's a very significant potential for having such limitations. If I were a professional writer I'd use just words to get my point across. If I were an artist, schematics. Right now I'm using MS paint and whatever internet means I can muster but believe me I'm always on the lookout for things which introduce errors into the perspective. No worries. I appreciate the feedback.

In this recent case, I used a recent photo of the Golden Gate Bridge in the background and a bench in the foreground. It's possible the trees limbs are too young or that a bench wasn't there in 1982, or that its a replacement of an original that looked much different. Just because I post a picture doesn't mean I'm fully committed to the presentation. To a person who actually stands at the site and considers the material in the way the author intended, I hope that my gathering skills might be helpful.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Premeditated Toast posted:

Are you not aware that most of the thread is just humoring you, and having a laugh at your expense?

Are you aware that I'll beat your rear end senseless for your candidness?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Urban Smurf posted:

Are you aware that I'll beat your rear end senseless for your candidness?

I wonder, would you suck my balls?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Get on the bus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syLz1rcTKD8

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

dad gay. so what posted:

I wonder, would you suck my balls?

Put you're balls out there like I have and everyone here will oblige. Hey, find a cask and your balls just might have a cozy new home.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Urban Smurf posted:

Yes, thank you. This was my favorite Urban Smurf logical leap.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

I use to rely heavily on such methods. Then I wised up and figured out how to use the tools to express my ideas, knowing full well that there's a very significant potential for having such limitations. If I were a professional writer I'd use just words to get my point across. If I were an artist, schematics. Right now I'm using MS paint and whatever internet means I can muster but believe me I'm always on the lookout for things which introduce errors into the perspective. No worries. I appreciate the feedback.

In this recent case, I used a recent photo of the Golden Gate Bridge in the background and a bench in the foreground. It's possible the trees limbs are too young or that a bench wasn't there in 1982, or that its a replacement of an original that looked much different. Just because I post a picture doesn't mean I'm fully committed to the presentation. To a person who actually stands at the site and considers the material in the way the author intended, I hope that my gathering skills might be helpful.

There's nothing wrong with MS Paint for context, it's a good tool for showing relationships that you don't have an image at hand for. Your posts are kind of free-association riffing on the verses and images. I think they're pretty far-fetched, but good brainstorming usually produces some far-fetched stuff. I would enjoy it if you continued to post, as long as it's fun for you to do so.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

homullus posted:

One thing I enjoy about Urban Smurf's theories is that they are often reliant on the internet, recent photographs on the web, aerial photography, schematics, et cetera -- things that wouldn't necessarily have been so accessible or even "thought about" by the average solver in 1981, but would be today.

As Xie said: "One of the things that Preiss was almost scary good at was "anticipating" some of the tools that would become available to us. Despite computers not really existing in a meaningful way in 1981, he still designed the Verses which contain quotes to be either incredibly esoteric (Sarmiento quote) or off by just enough to make them hard to google. "

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But did Preiss anticipate Urban Smurfing?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Urban Smurf posted:

Put you're balls out there like I have and everyone here will oblige. Hey, find a cask and your balls just might have a cozy new home.

k

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I may be mistaken but, he also expected most of them to be found within a month or so.

I like urban Smurfs theories because they help. They are bat poo poo crazy ideas but, there is advantages to putting warning signs down on paths you don't want to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

man I saw this thread explode in the last day or so, and I was like "whoah did xie dig up a cask he must have!111!!!"

but then I saw we just got smurfed and I was all :smith: