Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

It's a good thing Tim Kreider never drew anything that could be interpreted as insulting by Muslims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

What the gently caress? Seriously, what the gently caress?

The only part of this that I can actually parse is that Tinsley was terrified to actually have a white guy talk about low academic standards in literally any context, so he brought in a black co-commentator to make sure that he's Not-RacistTM. At least we're almost two weeks into 2015 and he hasn't started his predictions.

Yet.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

What if Tim Kreider had once drawn something that called for violence against an Arab country?

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

He certainly was No Angel.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

tacodaemon posted:

It's a good thing Tim Kreider has never done anything racially questionable! From "What Now for the Giant Squid", Oct. 5, 2005:

tacodaemon posted:

It's a good thing Tim Kreider never drew anything that could be interpreted as insulting by Muslims

tacodaemon posted:

What if Tim Kreider had once drawn something that called for violence against an Arab country?

Thanks for completely proving the point of Kreider's op-ed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Kreider's always been very open about the fact that there was a little psychopath in his head for much of the aughts that really really really wanted to glass the middle east.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

do you feel better now

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Somfin posted:

What the gently caress? Seriously, what the gently caress?

The only part of this that I can actually parse is that Tinsley was terrified to actually have a white guy talk about low academic standards in literally any context, so he brought in a black co-commentator to make sure that he's Not-RacistTM. At least we're almost two weeks into 2015 and he hasn't started his predictions.

Yet.
This is... this is really hard for me, but I think what he's saying is that sports media should be highlighting the ways in which college sports routinely fails its athletes, but is staying silent so as not to ruffle anyone's feathers. And he's right. Which is... I... look someone please tell me what's wrong with this cartoon, because I am not comfortable agreeing with this man on anything.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Duckbag posted:

look someone please tell me what's wrong with this cartoon

The subtext is "Those blacks are getting a free ride through college on MY TAX DOLLARS"

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

tacodaemon posted:

Let's be fair on that last one, Burj Khalifa is something people of all nations and religions fantasize about seeing go down, including sunni arabs, not just revanchist americans. I wouldn't put it past Ibn Khaldun, were he writing today, to list it and the general state of the peninsula as reason one million why the bedouin are dicks.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Okay, I know I said I wouldn't post any more DbD comments, but this one for yesterday's strip was just too funny to me and I can pretty much guarantee it's not by Greek Woman:

I CRAVE BREAST-FLESH - a man using his superior reasoning capabilities

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Agnosticnixie posted:

Let's be fair on that last one, Burj Khalifa is something people of all nations and religions fantasize about seeing go down, including sunni arabs, not just revanchist americans. I wouldn't put it past Ibn Khaldun, were he writing today, to list it and the general state of the peninsula as reason one million why the bedouin are dicks.

Don't generalise a race of 20 million people on the basis of a few incredibly rich individuals, you stupid rear end.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Don't generalise a race of 20 million people on the basis of a few incredibly rich individuals, you stupid rear end.

He didn't, you ninny.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Rygar201 posted:

He didn't, you ninny.

Hm, I guess he didn't. Agnosticnixie, I apologise and am embarrassed.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Hm, I guess he didn't. Agnosticnixie, I apologise and am embarrassed.

No problem really. Using the Muqaddimah as part of a light mockery at the expense of a building was pretty drat :effort: on my part.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 11, 2015

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

So if someone killed Kreider then surely goons would just concentrate on reposting those three cartoons over and over and over again instead of all of his other work because certainly he was no angel

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Stefu posted:

So if someone killed Kreider then surely goons would just concentrate on reposting those three cartoons over and over and over again instead of all of his other work because certainly he was no angel

No one was even implying that CH had it coming for gently caress's sake.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Gilganixon posted:

No one was even implying that CH had it coming for gently caress's sake.

I didn't say that they were implying that.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Stefu posted:

But lots of people have been saying exactly that. I was personally accused of implying they deserved it on three occasions, usually with the phrase "no angle" tied in somehow.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but this was the first time I had even heard of CH's existence. And then in a political cartoons thread, I saw people trying to say we shouldn't talk about these political cartoons. On top of that, we were told we could never state that is was these political cartoons that were the thing the killers might of had in mind when they targeted them, or we were saying the killers had a point. And for that myself and others got told that we were saying CH had it coming. Almost always to a chorus of "was no angle." So yes, you do seem to be implying what others have said overtly, that some people in this thread think the killing was justified.

Cpt.Americant fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 11, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Stefu posted:

Stefu posted:

certainly he was no angel

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

All right, that was a poor turn of phrase. The point being, reducing Charlie Hebdo to the few cartoons circulating around would be as foolish as reducing Kreider to those three cartoons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You have completely missed the point of that Kreider editorial if you think those cartoons are relevant.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Duckbag posted:

This is... this is really hard for me, but I think what he's saying is that sports media should be highlighting the ways in which college sports routinely fails its athletes, but is staying silent so as not to ruffle anyone's feathers. And he's right. Which is... I... look someone please tell me what's wrong with this cartoon, because I am not comfortable agreeing with this man on anything.

What's wrong with the cartoon is the idea that the conversation should be part of the pre-game show. The talking heads on TV are there to provide vapid hype and game time commentary. They are not journalists. Their job is not to provide us with any sort of insightful socio-economic commentary. And if this conversation did happen before a game, you know this rear end in a top hat would be scribbling an angry rant about it two weeks later, going on and on about how the mainstream PC media is ruining the game by bringing up these non-issues.

Plus, the duck is wearing a diaper.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Stefu posted:

Yeah that's what I was going for by posting them

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Here's Bob Lang's measured and reasoned response to the situation

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Wait a minute...goats can't talk!
No, no, this isn't adding up at all.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Wow, That Yellow Bastard is looking really bizarre in the latest "Sin City" issue... :eyepop:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's so good that so many outlets have published Charlie Hebdo cartoons in the wake of the attack, and that so many pundits have come out with reasons for why no one is allowed to have an opinion on those cartoons that isn't "YES FREE SPEECH".

It sure is a great way to celebrate free speech.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

welp that's an early gayabortions contender

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Interview with Luz, one of the surviving CH cartoonists.

quote:

What do you think of Manuel Valls not inviting Marine Le Pen to tomorrow’s “Republican rally”?

I don’t give a poo poo.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Who the hell is Bob Lang, because he went all out to be a piece of poo poo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Bizarrely a Google image search for "Bob Lang" just results in lots of pictures of famous actresses's heads. Maybe there's a Hollywood hairdresser by that name. :shrug:

Edit: Maybe they all just have their hair in a bob, actually. Although that doesn't explain the Lang.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 11, 2015

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The cartoonist who did the "____ million dead to Alfred Nobel's invention, dynamite" cartoon after Obama Carter got the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 2002.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 11, 2015

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It's so good that so many outlets have published Charlie Hebdo cartoons in the wake of the attack, and that so many pundits have come out with reasons for why no one is allowed to have an opinion on those cartoons that isn't "YES FREE SPEECH".

It sure is a great way to celebrate free speech.

I'm sorry I didn't realise anyone had been murdered for saying they think CH comics are bad.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

rydiafan posted:

Bizarrely a Google image search for "Bob Lang" just results in lots of pictures of famous actresses's heads. Maybe there's a Hollywood hairdresser by that name. :shrug:

Edit: Maybe they all just have their hair in a bob, actually. Although that doesn't explain the Lang.

I think that Bob Lang is German or Dutch for "Long bob" as in the haircut.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

tacodaemon posted:

It's a good thing Tim Kreider has never done anything racially questionable! From "What Now for the Giant Squid", Oct. 5, 2005:

Jesus, that's almost as bad as the time Bennett white-washed the Iwo Jima marinse. :psyduck:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

"Oh my God! JC! A bomb!"

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Dees cat-throw vid?

It's gone from his Youtube channel. :( If you saw some of the comments on his channel you can see why: a dyed-in-the-wool animal nut was accused of cruelty for playing with his cat. Hnngh!

McFadden's effort post on the murders:

Forgot to check up on this guy:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Overminty posted:

I'm sorry I didn't realise anyone had been murdered for saying they think CH comics are bad.

Yeah, see? It's so great, this chilling, silencing effect. It lets people exclude middles all day long and not have to feel uncomfortable about it. A fitting tribute to people who spoke out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Okay, here's a Bob Lang megapost for those who aren't familiar.

Lang was an a-list shitlord at one point in the now nearly eight year history of the SA politoons thread, but he, like so many others, lost his regular gig (at CNN) and effectively went into semi-retirement around 2011. He's now back making cartoons for oorah-masturbatory ex-military blog SOFREP. He also does "Corn Time", a weekly panel for farming magazines that's mostly dumb dad jokes but occasionally gets topical and/or political.

These days his cartoons are almost exclusively about killing sand people, because that's SOFREP's subject matter, but back in the day, climate change was a favourite subject, and he was a leading light in the depiction of Al Gore as The Eternal Jew. He was well known for his demonic caricatures, overuse of crazy-person bubbles around anyone to the left of Arlen Specter (including Arlen Specter) and bizarre obsession with lapels. Here's some classics from the olden times:

5 (he thinks this is a bad thing)
13 (guest writer: Ted Rall)

and of course the all-time classics

20 (he re-drew this for Gore, but he didn't change the number)

• Locked thread