Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

I think I'll assign them to the military, then send them into the caverns and wall the way up behind them. They can start a new society in the lightless depths.

Alternatively, make the were-elephants your people, and all new migrants must face a trial by fire (and tusk) to join your presitigious ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Complications have arisen.

None of the local wildlife dares to approach the were-elephant settlement, and construction is proceeding quickly. Two of the exiles have even given birth. I feared the worst, but it seems that even transformed into hulking beasts, the mothers recognize their own children, and are not hostile to them.

Unfortunately, other were-elephants are. Neither infant survived the month. Four were-elephants remain.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 9, 2015

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

StrangeAeon posted:

Complications have arisen.

None of the local wildlife dares to approach the were-elephant settlement, and construction is proceeding quickly. Two of the exiles have even given birth. I feared the worst, but it seems that even transformed into hulking beasts, the mothers recognize their own children, and are not hostile to them.

Unfortunately, other were-elephants are. Neither infant survived the month. Four were-elephants remain.

How did the two were-elephants die?

Is a sentence I never thought I'd type.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

When they transform, occasionally they start attacking each other. I'm watching them now, and two are brawling it out, while the other two watch. I'm not sure what decides which of them want to start a fight, and which don't.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

StrangeAeon posted:

When they transform, occasionally they start attacking each other. I'm watching them now, and two are brawling it out, while the other two watch. I'm not sure what decides which of them want to start a fight, and which don't.

I wonder if this is kind of related to the necromancers attacking their own undead. Maybe hostilities haven't been set correctly.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm using the latest Starter Pack and I've got a bug(?) that I can't figure out. It seems that some jobs just don't get a dwarf. But it isn't consistent. The best thing I can point to is that if I use planning mode to place a bed, it never gets built, it says Waiting for construction... Needs Furniture Hauling Construction suspended. But if I go to the next bedroom over and build a bed without using planning mode and actually manually choose one of the beds waiting to be installed, it gets installed without any issues.

I'm at a complete loss on how to even begin troubleshooting this.

Edit: For some reason the second time I tried saving and reloading worked. Don't know why the first didn't. Working now for whatever reason.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 9, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RedTonic posted:

I wonder if this is kind of related to the necromancers attacking their own undead. Maybe hostilities haven't been set correctly.

Perhaps every creature hostility flag is relative to the player's fortress-faction in fortress mode? i.e., If a creature is hostile to [PLAYER] then it is actually hostile to [ALL], for lack of better tags, due to some roundabout in coding?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Nietzschean posted:

Perhaps every creature hostility flag is relative to the player's fortress-faction in fortress mode? i.e., If a creature is hostile to [PLAYER] then it is actually hostile to [ALL], for lack of better tags, due to some roundabout in coding?

But then other invaders (goblins, normally) would probably degenerate into civil war on most/all invasions, so I am unsure.

My dwarven parent civilization seems to have integrated a number of humans. There are even human nobles. My embark hasn't received any humans as far as I am aware, but my various crafters will make "large" items which can accommodate them. I wonder if I'll receive any human migrants? Our outpost liaison is actually a human, and we trade with a human civilization, too. I haven't actually encountered elves in this particular world yet... Which is pretty weird. There are also apparently 9 civilizations right now, too, but I haven't made contact with most of them...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RedTonic posted:

But then other invaders (goblins, normally) would probably degenerate into civil war on most/all invasions, so I am unsure.

My dwarven parent civilization seems to have integrated a number of humans. There are even human nobles. My embark hasn't received any humans as far as I am aware, but my various crafters will make "large" items which can accommodate them. I wonder if I'll receive any human migrants? Our outpost liaison is actually a human, and we trade with a human civilization, too. I haven't actually encountered elves in this particular world yet... Which is pretty weird. There are also apparently 9 civilizations right now, too, but I haven't made contact with most of them...

I think the only non-dwarfs you can get are the king or queen. People have gotten goblin dwarf royalty before.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is even possible for a dwarven nation to be ruled by an Elf-King.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Goblins end up ruling dwarves in at least 1 civilization in probably 3/4 of worldgens if you look at them in the legends viewer.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

:frogsiren: AHWOOOOOGA

Toady One posted:

We're going to start in on inns and taverns now. As we said in the report, we'll hold off on recipes and generated games/gambling until the second tavern release to avoid an unseemly delay. So what'll be in the first release? You'll be able to define taverns for use by your dwarves and by visitors (who will know about the presence of the taverns automatically until we get to start scenarios). The main tavern associated area will likely be a meeting hall or dining room, at your discretion -- activities will include instrument use (finally!), singing, dancing, storytelling, drinking and eating. We're also strongly considering doing something with standing orders, at least to the point where the booze supply can be maintained.

There'll be experiments with emotional/intellectual needs in both modes. Socializing in taverns will satisfy some of these needs. We'll probably get rid of "breaks" and just incorporate that time into the eat/drink/party activities according to the needs of the dwarf. Hopefully the amount of labor time available will remain about the same, while the off-time will be more interesting.

We'll have more information about visitor interactions as we get closer to that. There will be an economic aspect but it won't yet be emphasized. We're going to deal with any remaining issues with multi-species forts for this release, and there'll be opportunities to incorporate some visiting critters into your fort on a more permanent basis (most likely mercenaries/adventurers).

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

scamtank posted:

instrument use (finally!)

WHAT

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The musicality attribute's time to shine is now!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

PublicOpinion posted:

The musicality attribute's time to shine is now!

Please please please let it be possible to create a rock-star adventurer.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Generation Internet posted:

Please please please let it be possible to create a rock-star adventurer.

"His black greasy hair is extremely long"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really excited for that actually.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Kennel posted:

"His black greasy hair is extremely long"

His high-pitched voice is somewhat distinctive.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the early-spring of 1251 the flutedwarf delivered a masterwork performance of a low-quality song.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What is the interaction between the Fighting skill, and whatever relevant weapon skill?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

This is a raccoon leather song. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of rope reed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Urist Speedwagon the Musician has crafted a fine song! It depicts chords of bees, refrains of flaming goblins, and a solo dedicated to himself singing the song consisting of chords of bees and refrains of flaming goblins!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Urist Speedwagon the Musician has crafted a fine song! It depicts chords of bees, refrains of flaming goblins, and a solo dedicated to himself singing the song consisting of chords of bees and refrains of flaming goblins!

It menaces with dubs of base!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Taverns sound like a great thing and I'm really glad they are gonna make multi species forts work properly. I wonder if you can build a tavern on the edge of a glacier and still get drunks stumbling in to visit it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Drunk Bards, 2015 Tour

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Evilreaver posted:

It menaces with dubs of base!

Spikes of Steppe Dub leather.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So just out of curiosity, Fogwall is not flooding or anything and this is definitely not an emergency, but hypothetically is 1 or 7 the higher priority job for mining designations?

Houka
Mar 27, 2014

Nietzschean posted:

So just out of curiosity, Fogwall is not flooding or anything and this is definitely not an emergency, but hypothetically is 1 or 7 the higher priority job for mining designations?

1 is the highest priority. I think this overrides even workshop jobs, too, so miners will do this before anything else.

Evil Sheep
Jan 28, 2009
I hope drunken fist fights and elves getting thrown out of taverns by racially discriminating dwarfs becomes a thing.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Willie Tomg posted:

What is the interaction between the Fighting skill, and whatever relevant weapon skill?

As I understand it, fighting is the primary skill used for combat, and your weapon skill is just a proficiency thing, there to make your fighting rolls effective. I could be wrong, though.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

I wonder if you can build a tavern on the edge of a glacier and still get drunks stumbling in to visit it.

Yes, and Scamtank won't complain unless they're drunk spruces.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm pretty sure it works like Archery - it's general intuition for how things work and people move in an arm's-length brawl. A very high Fighter skill disparity should let you negate the opponent's Dodging, but it's been shown to have a hand in other calculations too. The weapon skill itself is much more important.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that overlapping rooms stop decreasing each other's values after a certain number of rooms. Anyone have any hard math on that?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that overlapping rooms stop decreasing each other's values after a certain number of rooms. Anyone have any hard math on that?

My recollection is that a room that overlaps another room will have its value reduced by 75%, no matter how many rooms it overlaps with. So if you have five overlapping rooms covering the same valuable objects, you're in higher value than scattering them between the five rooms separately. I don't know if that's changed or anything though.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Playing the next-to-latest version (the one bundled with LNP). Had three distinct loyalty cascades this weekend! Two resulting from tantruming dwarves killing or being killed, and one after two zebra-lycanthropy infected dwarves rampaged through the fort. Still also encountering the situation where militia ordered to kill a target will hang out in a knot around the target but will not engage.

What I learned: in a contest between a master fighter, unarmed, vampiric, farmer dorf and a newly-minted master fighter, unarmed, were zebra, diagnostician dorf, the were zebra will break every joint in the vampire's body and then tear him in half and pitch the lower half over the wall of their shared prison. Then hop out to have a look at the hospital. :negative:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's really interesting that you had loyalty cascades! In the current DF succession LP upgrading a save file from .12 to .23 completely ended a loyalty cascade in progress, which led us to speculate that something about .2x had made loyalty cascades impossible and retroactively disabled. Your trip report has me all kinds of confused and curious.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

From what I can tell, the were-elephant situation may also have been caused by a loyalty cascade, resulting from attacking the infants that two of them had borne. It's been months since they've fought with each other, so apart from continually destroying workshops and being very confused by the cavern pathing, the were-elephants are stable.

Edit: Also, has anyone else had problems with livestock breeding? It's been years and my ram has yet to be fruitful with any of my six ewes. The ram is not gelded, either.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 12, 2015

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

StrangeAeon posted:

Edit: Also, has anyone else had problems with livestock breeding? It's been years and my ram has yet to be fruitful with any of my six ewes. The ram is not gelded, either.

After six years without succeeding, he's probably feeling pretty sheepish.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

House Louse posted:

After six years without succeeding, he's probably feeling pretty sheepish.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Come to think of it, I've also not gotten a single invasion, though I checked to make sure there were goblins nearby. Maybe my save is bugged.