Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Falstaff posted:

You may notice she isn't utilizing conventional medicine. In fact, she may even be practicing without a license!

Nether did Black Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ConanThe3rd posted:

Nether did Black Jack.

Black Jack once fended off an entire pack of hyenas while performing open heart surgery on himself in the middle of a loving desert, nobody loving talks back to Dr. black jack if they know any better.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I want Isabel's jacket. Except sized for a 6'1 dude. And real.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

Black Jack once fended off an entire pack of hyenas while performing open heart surgery on himself in the middle of a loving desert, nobody loving talks back to Dr. black jack if they know any better.
My point exactly.

Also, yes, that Jacket is pretty great.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
calling that this is a psyche-out and isabel's gramps didn't notice the potion pilfering

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh duh he's stopping her to give her the umbrella

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"This little bookworm has become more than Isabel!"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Gotta love the little details. If it wasn't for Grandpa shouting at Isabel, I didn't notice that Isabel was slowy creeping up towards to steal.

Still, stealing right out in the open? :v:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Shindragon posted:

Gotta love the little details. If it wasn't for Grandpa shouting at Isabel, I didn't notice that Isabel was slowy creeping up towards to steal.

I personally like her sneaking pose in panel 2.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I suspect she isn't being shouted at because she stole something, but instead because her grandpa wants her to have the lantern to charge it.

edit: wait no, her color's way different from the train, nm

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Do we know why does it matter if your aura color matches your spirit's? I don't remember.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Do we know why does it matter if your aura color matches your spirit's? I don't remember.

Yes, the closer the match, the easier it is to feed on that energy. Think of it like a kid who doesn't like green veggies, or who only wants to eat blue M&Ms, or something.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Imagine spirits were made of coloured yarn, and you're wearing a sweater made of yarn of your spectral energy...

Also it's interesting to see people are already getting cabin fever in Mayview. Francisco's being suspicious, when he says he's not trapped does he mean because he's where he wants to be or that he has another way in and out? Only half his students came in via train, after all.

Interesting to see him try and take the train from Mina. Does he have the authority? Who's actually in charge inside the bubble? Presumably Boss Leader can still communicate with them via dreams so they're not about to go Lord of the Flies, but there might be some (further) factionalism.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Wherer or not he has the authority to do so is unlikely to stop him if he thinks it's the right thing to do. And since it doesn't look like he trusts Spencer's organization much he probably does.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dolash posted:

Also it's interesting to see people are already getting cabin fever in Mayview. Francisco's being suspicious, when he says he's not trapped does he mean because he's where he wants to be or that he has another way in and out? Only half his students came in via train, after all.

It could just mean that his goal has always been to stay close to Mayview so not being able to leave doesn't affect him.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

when he says he's not trapped does he mean because he's where he wants to be or that he has another way in and out?

I assume it's because he's already where he wants to be. His home is there, so I wouldn't say he's completely trapped. That would also be why Zarei fired back that Francisco wouldn't be able to "import friends".

I'm guessing he doesn't have much of a social life outside his students. And if he didn't have those he'd hardly interact with anyone at all.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 14, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

neogeo0823 posted:

Yes, the closer the match, the easier it is to feed on that energy. Think of it like a kid who doesn't like green veggies, or who only wants to eat blue M&Ms, or something.

While this is true, I think it's more likely that the actual reason they try to match colours is because the spectral can more easily use the tool's powers that way. I doubt many spectrals would see "the spirit will regain enough energy to free itself faster" as a positive - assuming they're not all like Eightfold and willing to go right back into the tool again.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

But in this particular case, they want the train to recover faster so they can ride it out of Mayview, so that's probably the primary reason they want a matching color.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The only person who seems to want the lantern/train spirit to have a better spectral match is Grandpa. And he doesn't want the 'loophole'.

I thought there was dialog about how only Dr. Zarei could hope to control the train, as well. Though I think that was in the previous chapter.

Or I'm misremembering.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ditocoaf posted:

But in this particular case, they want the train to recover faster so they can ride it out of Mayview, so that's probably the primary reason they want a matching color.

That might be the surface/nice reason, but what Gramps is really angling after is control over the primary/only known passage in and out of Mayview. No way he'd return it even after it fully recovers.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They're just posturing here at the moment, but I wonder - would he try to take it from her by force? It's not like he and his students have to kill her, but if he decides he should be in control of the train now it's unclear who would hold him accountable. Especially considering he'd control the only way in or out of Mayview, so even if the Consortium did want to intervene or punish him they couldn't really do it so long as they need his cooperation.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well in the event that it REALLY came to blows since a good portion of his students still in fact work for the consortium, if Boss Leader ordered it taken back from him there's probably enough of a chance that he wouldn't actually win.

Edit: REALLY want to see what the doc can do, to be honest.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 14, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

reignonyourparade posted:

Well in the event that it REALLY came to blows since a good portion of his students still in fact work for the consortium, if Boss Leader ordered it taken back from him there's probably enough of a chance that he wouldn't actually win.

I dunno, as much of a dork as Spender is, he is and understands that he is powerful, incredibly so - and yet he thinks that Francisco could easily kill him if he goes down the wrong path or becomes evil. It could all be posturing of a dork going 'master, kill me if I turn evil', but he also played himself up as very powerful, and while yeah, he got beat around for awhile, he then one shot Forge after he used his evil-shadow-spirit.

To put it another way, Spender is apparently pretty strong in the Consortium, Forge is apparently an incredibly strong and powerful spirit that has never tasted defeat in thousands of years, Spender beat Forge, Francisco can beat Spender. So Francisco is probably stronger than most of the consortium goons he trains.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It's implied that Francisco basically invented the entire concept of fighting using your spectral energy (presumably before him, spectrals would entirely rely on powers they got from their tools). I'd say it's a safe bet that he's "the best fighter the consortium has ever had", with his only limiting factor these days being age.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
There's a theory that he's a ghost. What with "will you lose your social life too?" and because you never see his feet.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dr. Zarei has sharp eyes.

She doesn't seem happy, but she didn't say anything (yet). Wonder why?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I guess Ed is being his goofy self again

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tollymain posted:

Well I mean you'd assume someone who nicked that needed it; I'd guess that she's probably more grumpy that Spender's little trip caused more injuries than were let on.

Ed's playing with Tippi!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I really like the art in this comic, I felt the need to say that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikeJF posted:

Well I mean you'd assume someone who nicked that needed it; I'd guess that she's probably more grumpy that Spender's little trip caused more injuries than were let on.

Ed's playing with Tippi!

What if the green salve is ghost-only

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just looked back at Chapter 3. Wow, this comic's art has improved by leaps and bounds in a really short time. It's honestly kind of all-around fantastic for an artist/author who's so young.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Tollymain posted:

yes her eyes are very sharp.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rand Brittain posted:

I just looked back at Chapter 3. Wow, this comic's art has improved by leaps and bounds in a really short time. It's honestly kind of all-around fantastic for an artist/author who's so young.

Just how well he does at making Francisco look so imposing over Isabella, it's perfect.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

I'd guess she wants to confront Isabel about it, but not in front of Francisco.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So, umbrella powers!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
probably shield powers

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hey whaddya know, Grandpa cares about Isabel.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Tollymain posted:

probably shield powers

Pfft lame. It's gonna be like Penguin (Cobblepot) and be used to hypnotize her enemies and then shoot them with her spirit fireballs.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It'll be like Kirby Parasol but with an umbrella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Mary Poppins flight. It's both useful and embarrassing.