Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Agent355 posted:

Blueglass is basically awkwardness and uncomfortbaleness personified and I can't enjoy anything he appears in. I can't imagine I'm the only one either.

it's his laugh for me. it's high-pitched, cuts through loving anything and he has no awareness of its volume. if he had a normal laugh he could be on the screen 24/7 but that laugh is all-time bad and he does it every 10 seconds when something wacky happens in a run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gamerofthegame posted:

Still slightly better then the usual massive RPG finale, I guess?

FF9 was waaaaay better than this, mainly due to the commentary

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
It would probably help to just end in the evening instead of forcing one more all-nighter. Or was that the plan and they got way behind schedule?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Is this a joke post? He is a notorious splicer who was run off once SDA finally looked at the evidence.
Cosmo once streamed the OOT run and provided commentary. It's comical how many times he had to reset*.
People realized he spliced fairly early on and there are some embarrassing posts on SDA defending him basically out of celebrity.

*You can spot a reset from the pause menu. Your first pause always goes to the map screen, but every other pause returns to the last screen you saw.

Did Cosmo stream it to show off all the evidence of splicing? That sounds like it'd be funny.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

it's his laugh for me. it's high-pitched, cuts through loving anything and he has no awareness of its volume. if he had a normal laugh he could be on the screen 24/7 but that laugh is all-time bad and he does it every 10 seconds when something wacky happens in a run.

He doesn't even really annoy me honestly. It's just an extension of the awkwardness that I can't enjoy. He makes me feel uncomfortable since he doesn't quite follow your normal social queues well and it's somewhat unnerving to me.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It would probably help to just end in the evening instead of forcing one more all-nighter. Or was that the plan and they got way behind schedule?

Many setups have taken a lot longer than expected, impacting the schedule pretty severely.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Agent355 posted:

Kung fu jesus, wake up, sit on the couch and do color commentary.
I get the feeling that this sort of intrusion would be frowned upon. I'm in the audience tho

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Agent355 posted:

He makes me feel uncomfortable since he doesn't quite follow your normal social queues well

This applies to probably about 90% of the people in that event.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Azazell0 posted:

This applies to probably about 90% of the people in that event.

But they usually come and go. None are as intrusive as memelord Yellow Shirt Guy™ :v:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'm pretty sure they're 4-5 hours behind schedule, give or take. This is the first GDQ in a couple that they've gone over. They started out going horrendously over time in the early ones when they were still learning and polishing up how they run it but the recent SGDQ and AGDQ before this I think went well under time(or I think would have but they propped it up with extra unannounced runs to fill the time).

This one's just had problems and it's just one of those things. SGDQ will probably be fine and they'll continue to learn.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
I like Blueglass because he ignores his popularity. He doesn't want to stream, he doesn't want a twitter and he doesn't want people to donate to him. Chibi's kinda the opposite, he forced himself on the couch basically to promote himself as a streamer, which makes him 20 times more annoying.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Your Computer posted:

But they usually come and go. None are as intrusive as memelord Yellow Shirt Guy™ :v:

Yolo Swag God*

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Geight posted:

Did Cosmo stream it to show off all the evidence of splicing? That sounds like it'd be funny.
Yeah, it was great.
Looks like the twitch archive is dead and it never made it to youtube.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HoneyBoy posted:

Yolo Swag God*

e:

Comrade Question posted:

I like Blueglass because he ignores his popularity. He doesn't want to stream, he doesn't want a twitter and he doesn't want people to donate to him. Chibi's kinda the opposite, he forced himself on the couch basically to promote himself as a streamer, which makes him 20 times more annoying.
Chibi's clearly worse, but I'm allowed to dislike two people at once, thankyouverymuch :colbert:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I get the feeling that this sort of intrusion would be frowned upon. I'm in the audience tho

You could be this years Chibi. Think of the fame.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I don't think I ever encountered these frogs as a kid.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Comrade Question posted:

I like Blueglass because he ignores his popularity. He doesn't want to stream
Has he said he doesn't actually want to stream? Last I heard, he just didn't have streaming equipment.

Though I guess with how inexpensive devices that let you stream composite and s-video is, him not actually having gotten one yet might indeed hint at that he doesn't really want to. (or, of course, it could be that his computer isn't good enough either and that's obviously a fair bit more expensive to upgrade)

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Are you the guy with the paper crown on who is very obviously looking at a phone behind the couch

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think the end of the event is kind of the right time for big long runs like this. I'm not watching the OoT run because I don't want to watch 4 hours of that, but I think it's good that big long game runs are shown for people who are into that. I'd much rather these slow dragging runs come at the end instead of killing the hype in the middle of the marathon.

I actually really enjoyed FF6 last year though.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

KennyMan666 posted:

Has he said he doesn't actually want to stream? Last I heard, he just didn't have streaming equipment.

Though I guess with how inexpensive devices that let you stream composite and s-video is, him not actually having gotten one yet might indeed hint at that he doesn't really want to. (or, of course, it could be that his computer isn't good enough either and that's obviously a fair bit more expensive to upgrade)

He said he doesn't like to stream, that people shouldn't donate money to him for equipment because he has enough money and that they should donate to the charity instead in an interview.

E: Somewhere in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcRsLR1ohFU

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Probably. Have there been more 2 hour+ runs today than usual? Seems to make it all drag.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Are you the guy with the paper crown on who is very obviously looking at a phone behind the couch
No. I meant general audience, where I'm still allowed to use a computer. Because this would be unbearable without internet

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LibbyM posted:

I think the end of the event is kind of the right time for big long runs like this. I'm not watching the OoT run because I don't want to watch 4 hours of that, but I think it's good that big long game runs are shown for people who are into that. I'd much rather these slow dragging runs come at the end instead of killing the hype in the middle of the marathon.

I actually really enjoyed FF6 last year though.

I kinda agree, and I love OoT 100%, but it's a very slow and laid-back run. It's a very dreary-looking game with a very minimalist and often low-energy soundtrack. The reason a lot of other long runs work to close out *GDQ events is their energy, which OoT just lacks.

Mario RPG would have been a PERFECT closer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cubey posted:

:agreed: 100%

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Cubey posted:

You might be right, actually. But honestly I think they were just trying to top WONDERSHOT by going to a big name speedrun.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Please let the expected time be a huge overestimate. I can't handle another hour of OoT collectathon right now but I want to see this through.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Last year they raised like $100,000 during the 100% 6 hour Chrono Trigger run, so my guess is they thought they could do even more by having a long block of an even more "beloved" game at the end

Of course, say what you will about jRPG runs, but the CT run had some novelty and color to it. And it had the "will they or won't they break a million" suspense too
This does not

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Zurreco posted:

Please let the expected time be a huge overestimate. I can't handle another hour of OoT collectathon right now but I want to see this through.

There's really not that much real game left, but I don't know how much raw collecting is left.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

WDIIA posted:

Last year they raised like $100,000 during the 100% 6 hour Chrono Trigger run, so my guess is they thought they could do even more by having a long block of an even more "beloved" game at the end

Of course, say what you will about jRPG runs, but the CT run had some novelty and color to it. And it had the "will they or won't they break a million" suspense too
This does not

Only Notch can save us now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I probably sound like a broken record at this point but

WDIIA posted:

This does not

Chrono Trigger also started at 9:30 and ended around 3.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I would be way more engaged/not muting it to do something else every couple minutes if the couch wasn't filled by people that have likely pulled all nighters over the week multiple times.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WDIIA posted:

This does not

They also weren't way behind schedule, and a lot of people at this AGDQ (myself included) seem to have been a lot more exhausted for a lot larger portion of it. Also like, everyone is sick, too.

I am still enjoying this run though. Having a lower-energy closer is kinda nice because in the midst of the hype and excitement of the end of AGDQ 2014, all of that just made me more sad it was ending. This feels more like a natural winding down of things.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Tetris would have been an amazing closer but there's a lot more to it than just what is fun to watch.

What you need is a super popular game, a super popular runner and a super popular category but those are difficult stars to align.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I can't really deal enjoy with low energy runs. I'll check out Vanquish instead.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MST is a more fun category for OOT. This 100% run is just too long and disjointed, and it's hard to have a real sense of what's coming next or how far along it is.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Hey KFJ, is there gonna be any GYCL in the bonus stream this year?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Dark Souls 2 would have been perfect, now that you mention it

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

https://twitter.com/concavetriangle/status/553916702623535104

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Supercar Gautier posted:

MST is a more fun category for OOT. This 100% run is just too long and disjointed, and it's hard to have a real sense of what's coming next or how far along it is.

Yeah, one of the reasons I would be so behind Mario RPG is that the run doesn't really sequence break so if you're a fan of the game you don't get lost like I have been for most of this run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

There was a side tourney last night that already concluded so unless they do another one just for bonus I don't think so.

challonge.com/y37k9haf

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 11, 2015

• Locked thread