Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Gatz just finished the first of the Dog of Dracula games and it's the weirdest thing I've seen in a while and concerns a groomer of the undead trying to right wrongs in a sauceless world. It's just that kind of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

AMReese posted:

It's a shame that the devs didn't get more time to work on it. Do you know if Evil Genius Online is any good?

I'll take your word for it and try him out.

Edit: Other than him having an annoying habit of smacking his lips before he talks, it's pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation.

It is a Facebook enabled social game with premium currency that can be purchased in a series of micro-transactions. That should tell you everything you need to know about the level of quality.

Re: VideoLP

...and his constant hitting the mic, and repeating the same three jokes over and over, and his seeming inability to edit anything out any dull repetitive minutiae with only two exceptions. But, I will give him credit for actually finishing the thing, even after being hit by at least one game breaking bug.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I haven't checked the entire thing to see if it's all there, but here's a snapshot of slowbeef.com circa October 2007.

Edit: I should probably put a link. :downs:
https://web.archive.org/web/20071018031640/http://www.slowbeef.com/MG2/index.html

Ah thank you! I read this at least once a year, it always cracks me up.

slowbeef posted:

I have it local (ripped from the web archive, actually) and just have to fix all the links on my new site ever since some domain squatting dude grabbed my old one. :(

Sorry to hear about the domain squatter, I hope I can see it back on your site one day!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good horror game LP? I really enjoyed DumbRodent's Outlast LP and VoidBurger's Silent Hill playthroughs. I want something that's not a bunch of screaming, that allows the game to sort of speak for itself.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
DumbRodent is also doing a Dead Space LP now tho i'm not sure if he's posted a thread for it yet.

Alternatively, i can't recommend The Man With A Hat's Dead Space LP enough. He's even giving you the option. subtitled close-to-first-experience playthrough and a voiced have-fun playthrough.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

Can anyone recommend a good horror game LP? I really enjoyed DumbRodent's Outlast LP and VoidBurger's Silent Hill playthroughs. I want something that's not a bunch of screaming, that allows the game to sort of speak for itself.
The Outlast LP is fantastic and does a wonderful job of letting the game speak for itself. Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is also worth a look for the same reasons.

Geop fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 8, 2015

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Sociopastry posted:

Niggurath has done quite a few horror game LP's, including a recently finished one, "Nanashi No Game" for the DS.
He never screams, knows the ins and outs of every game he plays, doesn't waste time, focuses on the game itself and has a generally calm and soothing presentation style.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Sociopastry posted:

Can anyone recommend a good horror game LP? I really enjoyed VoidBurger's Silent Hill playthroughs.

The Homecoming LP by Kamoc is the natural next step, then.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Dooky Dingo posted:

Niggurath has done quite a few horror game LP's, including a recently finished one, "Nanashi No Game" for the DS.
He never screams, knows the ins and outs of every game he plays, doesn't waste time, focuses on the game itself and has a generally calm and soothing presentation style.

Ooo, I'll have a look-see.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

The Homecoming LP by Kamoc is the natural next step, then.

Well, depends on if you want a good LP of a horror game, or an LP of a good horror game. Because that's definitely the former, not so much the latter.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

There's also the Siren games done by Egomaniac. I think he re-did his original Siren LP a little while back.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Sociopastry posted:

I just finished watching ApocalypseToast's runthrough of Metro 2033 and it's a very good, understated style of a great atmospheric game.
There's also a runthrough by pannycakes that was completed first, but I haven't seen it myself so I don't know how the two stack up against each other.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know there are good tutorial LPs for understanding how to play CK2, Vic 2, and Europa Universalis 3 but does anyone know of any good tutorial LPs for EU4?

LPArchive only has EU3.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Unfunny Poster posted:

I know there are good tutorial LPs for understanding how to play CK2, Vic 2, and Europa Universalis 3 but does anyone know of any good tutorial LPs for EU4?

LPArchive only has EU3.

Check out Arumba on Youtube, he's got a bunch of no-nonsense EU4 stuff, and knows the game very well. Here's a playlist of short videos of him explaining some of the core game mechanisms: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWBz8XAD77YTwMe6wx-Ql_Ao

Skip the first three tutorial videos though, they are literally just him playing through the tutorial of the game, which you're better off doing yourself.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I follow Arumba (the dude puts out way too much content to be actively watching all of it) so I'll check out that playlist.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Honestly, I wouldn't watch any of Arumba's tutorials. Arumba is kind of... bad at tutorializing IMO. I just watch him play random campaigns until I get bored and learn a lot more. My first time playing EU4 went very, very well just from watching his non-tutorial content.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Geop posted:

The Outlast LP is fantastic and does a wonderful job of letting the game speak for itself.
Isn't that the one he already watched?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
uh, am I allowed to link DireWolf20 in the thread? because yeah :)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't even remember if it even got done on here or just not archived or what but I remember someone let's played Saints Row 4 but I cannot remember who it was. Does anyone else know, off the top of their head?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

That was ChaosArgate and his LP isn't on the master list or in the archive as far as I can tell but you can view the videos on his youtube channel!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And here's the thread.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm lazy and haven't sent an archival request yet because I still need to clean up that thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ah, thanks. I just assumed that if it was done on here then it wasn't archived because by the time it finished archiving things was kinda broken.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's part of it too, I kinda forgot to send an archival request because archives were broken and Baldurk didn't wanna archive anything until they were fixed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChaosArgate posted:

That's part of it too, I kinda forgot to send an archival request because archives were broken and Baldurk didn't wanna archive anything until they were fixed.

And Gat out of Hell

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Im looking for an Alien: Isolation LP that is focused principally on preserving the atmosphere, ideally with no commentary or if unavoidable subtitles only. It would be awesome if the game featured no deaths because I am looking to experience the game as if it was a new movie entry.

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 12, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
That's pretty much the definition of a longplay. I have no idea if it's any good, but searching "Alien Isolation longplay" yields this.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Slightly LP-related, what's a good Youtube-channel if I want a feature on last year's gaming highlights. Like with different categories, etc.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where did the term long play Come from anyways?

As a request what is Retsupraes best stuff? Some of it is lame but there are some good things as well

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Turtlicious posted:

As a request what is Retsupraes best stuff? Some of it is lame but there are some good things as well
I think it mainly came from the fact that people normally recorded a play through of a game in one long, continuous stream. I'm not exactly sure though who coined the term if that's what you're looking for, but it's become a common term for a long.

And I've usually enjoyed most of the adventure game/long plays that Retsu has done, like Dark Seed. Or the especially early stuff with proteus and Dave_O.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Turtlicious posted:

The Negotiator series (videos titled "How to X"), Shadow of Destiny, and usually Retsufrash videos are pretty good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Gaming in the Clinton years is always great for a laugh. So are the billymc videos too. I have no mouth and I must scream was also pretty nice as well.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Darkseed and Darkseed 2 retsupuraes are amazing.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Definitely watch Last Alert, it's the one that made them consider riffing on Long Plays at all. The game is absolutely ridiculous, and it's almost worth watching alone to hear Diabetus burst out in full laughter for once.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Turtlicious posted:

My favorites include the BillyMC/TheLimePopsicle videos, a lot of the Retsufrash stuff, and lots of random LP mockery (ElectricalBeast, MageKnight404, the videos where the LPer's computer struggles to run the game at single-digit FPS). The Trapped games are great, especially the second one with its horrible puzzles, and as for Long Plays I'd say Kings Quest V and VI and Hopkins P.I. are more consistently entertaining since there's not as much dead space as the other Long Plays (though Darkseed II was entertaining partly because of the long player's insane thoroughness becoming a running gag).

e: The Negotiator videos are also great since the characters are ridiculous and the guy writing them clearly has no idea what he's talking about as far as actual negotiation goes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Turtlicious posted:

You might get better recommendations if you say which of their videos you've previously enjoyed, because then people could point out others like them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HenryEx posted:

Definitely watch Last Alert, it's the one that made them consider riffing on Long Plays at all. The game is absolutely ridiculous, and it's almost worth watching alone to hear Diabetus burst out in full laughter for once.

In addition to this, also watch Cobra: Space Adventures. The game itself is an incredibly janky pseudo-visual novel/RPG, and the story & characters somehow manage to start off completely ludicrous, and keep getting stupider at every turn. It is an endless font of material, and Beef/Betus don't let it go to waste.

It's something like 7-8 hours long all together, but manages to be consistently funny throughout, which is quite the feat. Having said that though if you're strapped for time, slowbeef put together an abridged version that's closer to ~3 hours in length.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 13, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There's a pretty sweet LP going on of a rad art-y puzzle game. It's been going on for a while, so there's plenty of content to watch. The graphics are great, it has an awesome soundtrack, and the gameplay is of the simple yet challenging variety. You should watch it. oh yeah, it is called flywrench

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 14, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Holy crap, we have entered a golden age of joke LPs. Read DATE SPEEDWAGON. it's goddamned hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Blind Sally posted:

Holy crap, we have entered a golden age of joke LPs. Read DATE SPEEDWAGON. it's goddamned hilarious.

I feel like I should have watched an anime to get this.

I have not.