Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
There's still a big gap between getting messages out and actually knowing and influencing what's going on. Governor Billy Bob of Bumblefucknowhere Province is probably skimping on how much money he's sending you, and could only be selectively implementing your orders... and unless you go out there yourself you'll never know unless he completely fucks it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

dupersaurus posted:

There's still a big gap between getting messages out and actually knowing and influencing what's going on. Governor Billy Bob of Bumblefucknowhere Province is probably skimping on how much money he's sending you, and could only be selectively implementing your orders... and unless you go out there yourself you'll never know unless he completely fucks it up.

This, incidentally, is one of the reasons itinerant monarchy became A Thing for a while in Europe after Rome (the other is to make the locals pay for you and your absurd entourage).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

Well, you're expecting Billy Bob to skimp on the money. Billy Bob and his predecessors have been doing so since the creation of the office. The office is, in fact, a reward and not generally a part of actual day to day governance because that's for bureaucrats. No, not a reward of social prestige or honor, silly, it's a straight-up money reward. A certain level of graft is the whole point. If Billy Bob goes beyond that point he's probably literally starving the peasants and since the Roman economy was hugely interdependent this is hard to disguise though he can probably get away with it occasionally and blame it on greedy tax farmers. Whether the powers that be actually care is another thing, but often they do. Additionally, you can probably count on Billy Bob to implement your orders because you've handed him a golden ticket by putting him in office to begin with.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Disinterested posted:

This, incidentally, is one of the reasons itinerant monarchy became A Thing for a while in Europe after Rome (the other is to make the locals pay for you and your absurd entourage).
Itinerant monarchy is the greatest thing. It's like the carnival came to your town and it both administered justice and emptied out your food stocks and now you're going to eat barley porridge for a whole season and your daughter is going to have the bastard son of some knight who won't send you any money but seriously that was the most spectacle you ever saw in your whole stupid life.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

Itinerant monarchy is the greatest thing. It's like the carnival came to your town and it both administered justice and emptied out your food stocks and now you're going to eat barley porridge for a whole season and your daughter is going to have the bastard son of some knight who won't send you any money but seriously that was the most spectacle you ever saw in your whole stupid life.

This is totally off topic, but I actually read a medieval account once from the Avignon Papacy of a cardinal who threw a lavish party in the city with expensive wines, and constructed a large fake bridge across the river. He proceeded to laugh with his party guests at unsuspecting townspeople who fell in the river.

Royal and princely courts were ridiculous.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Speaking of which, I loved that it was just an accepted (and expected!) thing for a young man to bankrupt himself to put on a giant party/show for everybody to go to so they'd like his dead dad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
They were pretty much like touring rock bands from the 70's-90's. You can't tell me Charlemagne didn't have a "backstage" with passes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's not called the Order of the Garter for nothing.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

They were pretty much like touring rock bands from the 70's-90's. You can't tell me Charlemagne didn't have a "backstage" with passes.

He couldn't read, but he sure knew how to party.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Have you ever dreamed of crossing the Roman Empire in an Ox cart? Do you wonder how long it would take to do so? Or how much such a travel might cost you if you were a 2nd century Roman?

ORBIS is the tool for you!

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/05/how-across-the-roman-empire-in-real-time-with-orbis/

NB: I have not used this tool myself, I just know it exists.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dalael posted:

Have you ever dreamed of crossing the Roman Empire in an Ox cart? Do you wonder how long it would take to do so? Or how much such a travel might cost you if you were a 2nd century Roman?

ORBIS is the tool for you!

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/05/how-across-the-roman-empire-in-real-time-with-orbis/

NB: I have not used this tool myself, I just know it exists.

This thread is so huge now that it's totally understandable, but it always make me laugh when this gets posted, as a thread about it is what spawned this one.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

And may it get continually posted every year or so for everyone new to the thread its an awesome little widget.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I know we know all the Roman swears. Do we know any Ancient Greek swears?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Disinterested posted:

Not really that absurd when it's literally the entire central government, though. Imagine half of Whitehall or Washington DC stopping by Bumfuck, Whereveryouare for a month.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

feedmegin posted:

Not really that absurd when it's literally the entire central government, though. Imagine half of Whitehall or Washington DC stopping by Bumfuck, Whereveryouare for a month.

My understanding was that they also did that because most of the goods they could collect from their subjects was perishable. Many areas didn't have coins so you'd have to give the guy a step up from you X bushels of wheat or X number of pigs, then when the king came around he'd (he being the one up guy) have to throw a big feast and provide a certain amount of food and drink.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 9, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any good recommendations on documentaries surrounding this large period? Not looking for anything specific really. Just love well done informative documentaries. Netflix, amazon, youtube...

I really liked Meet the Romans. Really enjoy seeing the "other side" of history or rather less known

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rggk_H3jEgw

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

feedmegin posted:

It's also a bunch of hangers on, etc. Paying for the people who are going to give justice is one thing, paying for elaborate banquets and for scroungers is another, particularly when your king is mostly doing it to be cheap, as was the case sometimes.

My favourite books about this kind of thing are Karl Leyser's. Classics.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This thread is so huge now that it's totally understandable, but it always make me laugh when this gets posted, as a thread about it is what spawned this one.

I've read this whole thread and didn't know that.

cheerfullydrab posted:

feedmegin posted:

So was part of the reason for itinerant monarchy just that infrastructure wasn't good enough to get sufficient food to a static court, and improvements in state power and transportation made that less important? That's neat.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

House Louse posted:

So was part of the reason for itinerant monarchy just that infrastructure wasn't good enough to get sufficient food to a static court, and improvements in state power and transportation made that less important? That's neat.

Oh, you can totally get food to a static court, but it reduces the breadth of the goods that you can tax because medieval objects of taxation are often perishable.

Hosting an itinerant court is just something every magnate has to deal with in places like Germany. It's like an occasional very heavy tax that you live with once in a while, and it's a way for the itinerant king to impose his authority in that locality while saving money for having to pay for his apparatus himself. Given the occasional HR Emperor would have been poorer than some of his subjects, it's not an irrelevant considerations.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 10, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Disinterested posted:

Oh, you can totally get food to a static court, but it reduces the breadth of the goods that you can tax because medieval objects of taxation are often perishable.

Hosting an itinerant court is just something every magnate has to deal with in places like Germany. It's like an occasional very heavy tax that you live with once in a while, and it's a way for the itinerant king to impose his authority in that locality while saving money for having to pay for his apparatus himself. Given the occasional HR Emperor would have been poorer than some of his subjects, it's not an irrelevant considerations.

It was also away of inflicting punishment on disfavored nobles. Good friends would get a brief visit, while for those on the outs the monarchs may stay a month or more. Bankrupting your enemies was often more effective than beheading them.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

It was also away of inflicting punishment on disfavored nobles. Good friends would get a brief visit, while for those on the outs the monarchs may stay a month or more. Bankrupting your enemies was often more effective than beheading them.

The Tokugawa Shogunate basically pulled this in reverse; everyone had to visit Edo, with their retainers, plus leave hostages. So the various daimyo are basically paying upkeep on two mansion, have to pay travel expenses, and are always having to keep up with the Jones because you have to be in Edo and rub elbows. Basically leave everyone too poor to wage war. (Plus keep their wives and kids in Edo plus keep the city stocked full of booze and prostitutes so everyone is getting more decadent and less belligerent.)

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Smoking Crow posted:

I know we know all the Roman swears. Do we know any Ancient Greek swears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZIVAacnNg

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

House Louse posted:

I've read this whole thread and didn't know that.

Nah, you could usually tax in grains and such even if you were taxing mainly in kind. Itinerant monarchy is sort of an arbitrary and personally-administered taxation by the monarch to support their court, which weakens the lesser nobility while allowing the monarch to reserve all of their resources for other stuff, like extra soldiers to beat up rebellious nobles. That was kind of a thing for a long, long time in Europe even as itinerant monarchy specifically went out of style.

the JJ posted:

The Tokugawa Shogunate basically pulled this in reverse; everyone had to visit Edo, with their retainers, plus leave hostages. So the various daimyo are basically paying upkeep on two mansion, have to pay travel expenses, and are always having to keep up with the Jones because you have to be in Edo and rub elbows. Basically leave everyone too poor to wage war. (Plus keep their wives and kids in Edo plus keep the city stocked full of booze and prostitutes so everyone is getting more decadent and less belligerent.)

As a side note, the daimyo spent so much money traveling the main roads to and from Edo that this system basically single-handedly upended class relations in Japan and placed the burgeoning proto-capitalist class above the samurai in de facto power once and for all, as well as leading to tremendous urban development and infrastructure improvements.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Nah, you could usually tax in grains and such even if you were taxing mainly in kind. Itinerant monarchy is sort of an arbitrary and personally-administered taxation by the monarch to support their court, which weakens the lesser nobility while allowing the monarch to reserve all of their resources for other stuff, like extra soldiers to beat up rebellious nobles. That was kind of a thing for a long, long time in Europe even as itinerant monarchy specifically went out of style.

As a side note, the daimyo spent so much money traveling the main roads to and from Edo that this system basically single-handedly upended class relations in Japan and placed the burgeoning proto-capitalist class above the samurai in de facto power once and for all, as well as leading to tremendous urban development and infrastructure improvements.

Which is really funny because another part of the Tokugawa reforms was supposed to be preventing social upheaval by firmly locking all the social classes as they were, with merchants firmly at the bottom. Yuk yuk yuk. (This, not the more exciting warring states period is where the whole honorable samurai and his legendary swords became a big deal. Swords being both restricted to the samurai class and required of them.)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Christoff posted:

Any good recommendations on documentaries surrounding this large period? Not looking for anything specific really. Just love well done informative documentaries. Netflix, amazon, youtube...

I really liked Meet the Romans. Really enjoy seeing the "other side" of history or rather less known

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rggk_H3jEgw

I can't believe this has never showed up on my feed before. I started watching it and it is awesome. Thank you very much for posting.

Watching the first episode, I had never realized just how much inscriptions are left all over the city. This may be a ridiculous question but, out of the people living in Rome currently, I wonder what percentage of the population bothered to learn to how read Latin so they could read all of those inscriptions.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Indeed, I believe Queen Elizabeth I spent much of her reign travelling around the country staying at the estates of her nobles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just finished Anthony Everitt's Cicero and thought it was a really drat good read, I very much recommend it though it doesn't really cover anything "new" about him. But getting to read excerpts from his own private letters, or those between others concerning him etc, really brought him to life for me - it probably helps that he was a fascinating man who was alive at a fascinating time.

I'll have to get hold of his Augustus, given that Cicero's death overlaps with Octavian's early political life, and the two had a lot to do with each other, it feels like a natural "sequel".

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Deteriorata posted:

I'm pretty amused that this implies that the best way to rule is to spend only passing moments with people you like, while settling down and putting down roots with people you hate.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tomn posted:

I'm pretty amused that this implies that the best way to rule is to spend only passing moments with people you like, while settling down and putting down roots with people you hate.

Those are the ones that need watching the most. Although, I believe that Henry VIII first met the Boleyn girls while crashing at their father's place. So there were other reasons to go visit the countryside.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

the JJ posted:

Which is really funny because another part of the Tokugawa reforms was supposed to be preventing social upheaval by firmly locking all the social classes as they were, with merchants firmly at the bottom. Yuk yuk yuk. (This, not the more exciting warring states period is where the whole honorable samurai and his legendary swords became a big deal. Swords being both restricted to the samurai class and required of them.)

This is funny because I looked at old undergrad notes/essays of mine (with the resultant lovely writing) about itinerant monarchy in 11th century Germany:

quote:

This problem [of instability in 10th century Germany / ex Frankish kingdoms] was solved in great part by what Leyser refers to as 'Itinerant kingship'. He sees this as 'the most essential...institution of the Ottonian and Salian Reich.' [13] This tool was most heavily utilised by Henry I and also Otto III, who visited Aachen often, though all of the Ottonian and Salian kings used it. Henry needed the royal iter most of all because he was both an elected king and the first of his dynasty to be king of East Francia. Itinerant kingship had demonstrable advantages: Otto I, the strongest and probably the most autocratic of the Ottonian kings, was travelling through Franconia when he heard of a plot by his his son and brother to betray him, according to Thietmar, who refers to Otto's perambulations as 'fulfilling his office as ruler'. [14] (A. Warner, The Chronicon of Thietmar of Merseberg, Manchester University Press,, p.95 B.2 Ch.6.)

This Iter acted in much the same way as Louis XIV's grand project to keep all aristocrats in his sight, common also to the Japanese Edo period, but without the negative side effects – the Emperor did not become trapped in a single seat of power, surrounded by sycophants and cut off from the wider country - the Ottonian and early Salian kings were still able to monitor those all around their kingdom who might turn against them. This made for rulers who possessed far more information about their Reich than they otherwise might have, while also providing a method for assessing and strengthening the loyalty of vassals. In great part this was made possible by the constancy of the Ottonian church, which very often provided accomodation to the itinerant court, as well as staffing it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What were Roman prisons like? I assume that there was a huge difference between accomodations based on wealth and importance, but did the Romans have things like drunk tanks?

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Tomn posted:

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer :v:

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Tunicate posted:

What were Roman prisons like? I assume that there was a huge difference between accomodations based on wealth and importance, but did the Romans have things like drunk tanks?

They didn't really have them. Crimes that we would imprison people for were handled with corporal punishment or if you were someone important, exile, loss of property, or house arrest.

The Romans had a prison, but it was made as temporary holding for people who had been condemned to death.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wasn't one of their punishments just straight up dropping a guy down a hole and leaving him to starve to death? :gonk:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't one of their punishments just straight up dropping a guy down a hole and leaving him to starve to death? :gonk:

Yes, that's how they killed vestal virgins who broke their vows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

euphronius posted:

Yes, that's how they killed vestal virgins who broke their vows.

And the guys who slept with them were meant to be whipped to death I believe, which lead to the amazing story of Crassus being accused of trying to seduce a Vestal Virgin, admitting that he did it but proclaiming with complete sincerity that he was only doing it to get his hands on her property, and since it was Crassus everybody went,"Oh yeah that makes sense, not guilty!"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I think parricides were thrown into the Tiber River in a sack with a dog, cat, chicken, and rat. On the assumption that the animals would freak out and make the drowning process extremely unpleasant.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

sullat posted:

I think parricides were thrown into the Tiber River in a sack with a dog, cat, chicken, and rat. On the assumption that the animals would freak out and make the drowning process extremely unpleasant.

I feel like at that point it's really all pretty minimal compared to the mere fact of drowning, but you never know.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
If I recall correctly, Vestal virgins were considered "sisters" of everyone in Rome in the strictest sense of the term, so loving them wasn't just sacrilege, it was considered incest in the strictest sense of the term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

If I recall correctly, Vestal virgins were considered "sisters" of everyone in Rome in the strictest sense of the term, so loving them wasn't just sacrilege, it was considered incest in the strictest sense of the term.

Also because nobody was supposed to be buried in Rome, burying them alive was also sacrilege, so they'd give them food to take with them and pretend like they'd just moved them into a new room.... underground with no doors or windows or light.