Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

hmm lets check in on the /r/uberdrivers zeitgeist

If I had known that flannel would be back I wouldn't have thrown out all my shirts from 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

uber as a microcosm of capitalist affairs coming along faster than anticipated

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

a cat in the food prep area.

same

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the case of the cat in the food prep area

Apr 7, 2003

I can understand that rule, cats are loving filthy.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
prepare cat in food area

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
if uberdrivers.net is any indication all uber drivers are horrible shitlord assholes anyway

quote:

So, what do you do when paxs leave personal property in your car? The first time it happened to me a bloke left his cell phone in the back seat. I found it when I was several miles away. Dude calls his cell phone hoping I'd pick up and I did. I ended up driving quite a ways out of my way to return the drat thing at the end of the night. As I was driving home I concluded I'm a shmuck because I violated my rule of ABC (Always Be Compensated.) I got absolutely nothing out of that trip after I solved a problem that I did not create. Since that experience I have only had people leave clothing in my car, and that goes straight to Goodwill the following the day. Uber doesn't have a policy that I'm aware of (or at least not a rational one) to deal with personal items left in cars. And since there's no compensation for returning gear, I can't think of a good reason to return crap left behind.

quote:

If it's cash I keep it. If it's a cellphone, etc....I would try to notify the pax that I have it. I would leave up to the pax to how to get it back. I'm certainly not going to waste any gas driving it over to them unless they reimburse me.

quote:

Depends, hasn't happened to me yet. A lady ran out in traffic to flag me at the airport after leaving her black coat in my car in the dark. Even though I looked with the front light on, it was in the shadow of the seat and we just didn't see it for a moment until she realized she didn't have it when she got out in the cold. (Cold, for everyone not on the West Coast, is considered 45 degrees here ;).) Anyway I thought about it and I think there's always a reasonable answer that doesn't require you driving to them. A cell phone is really important, they can come and get it from a Starbucks near me at a pre-arranged time. Other valuables, keys, same thing. I think that anything else (like the lady's coat), I would be happy to mail if they paypal me the $ for postage. I do a lot of airports, I can only imagine I would have to mail things since they have flown out of town. I really try hard to avoid things being left--I ask them AND I check.

I saw someone post a really clever solution if they need you to drive it to them. Go to a corner, have them put their pin next to you on their app so you get the ping, and then drive to them on the clock. I don't know how they could do it if it was their phone you were supposed to return...but it definitely requires compensation for you to backtrack more than a mile.

quote:

Oh man, you just provided the answer. When I had to drive that bloke's phone back to him I should have just fired up the rider app on his phone, taken the ping, then started my trip to his home. poo poo! Why didn't I think of that?

OK, new policy: I'll return a phone if I can fire up the rider app. Otherwise, well...

quote:

Yeah, but then what? Unless someone is paying me for the trip, I'm not delivering it. And unless someone is paying me postage and a courtesy fee, I'm not returning it via post.

quote:

How to Avoid Obnoxious Cancellations

First, always accept a fare otherwise you will get warnings from Uber.

Second, if the fare is over 10 minutes away immediately call the rider and get someone on the phone first before moving the car. You want to say "Hello, I just got your call and am on my way. My eta is..." Assess the situation and try to ask where they are going. "Do you have a flight?" If there is no answer than do not move the car. Send a text and give them one more call.

Third, if the fare is a really long distance call them to say the computer made a mistake and you are too far away and that they will need to cancel.

Fourth, never cancel or skip fares. Always answer the call. Let the rider cancel. If you are not coming call them and make an excuse as to why and tell them they have to cancel. "Im changing a flat tire." "Computer errored. Im too far." The reality is they will eventually have to cancel as they cant get a new ride without cancelling.

quote:

You can also drive the opposite direction as far as possible, and wait for the cancel :)

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
i just remembered that we have the 1099 taxageddon ahead of us

Apr 7, 2003

crusader_complex posted:

i just remembered that we have the 1099 taxageddon ahead of us

I'm so hard

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
filing season starts January 20! get ready to learn all about schedule se via Uber drivers going "taxes!?!?"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
uber does revenue sharing, not taxes

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
people on my Facebook think uber is good. wat should i do? unfriend?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

people on my Facebook think uber is good. wat should i do? unfriend?
you can always shame them first and see where the boat goes

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

sounds good. one person tried to tell me uber was safe since you can track them with "technology" if they do a crime on you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

uber was safe since you can track them with "technology" if they do a crime on you
:thumbsup:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bobbilljim posted:

sounds good. one person tried to tell me uber was safe since you can track them with "technology" if they do a crime on you

was he a street walking cheetah

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

worse, probably works in IT

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I used an oculus rift last night. I was pretty incredulous about the whole thing but it's legit. dunno if it'll ever see widespread adoption but it's definitely gonna burrow into a few niches at the least.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

a taiwanese lurker goon told me last night that a friend of his in taiwan had his drivers license suspended for being an uber driver. lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a taiwanese lurker goon told me last night that a friend of his in taiwan had his drivers license suspended for being an uber driver. lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i hope they dont gently caress up price/quality ratio of cv1

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thanks radium

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

thanks radium

wtf

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

they're right to be annoyed when they have to return someone's poo poo miles away for free though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

doublepost

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kalstrams posted:

doublepost

nah the post didnt load for like a minute

something in the server hiccuped

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

every time i want to make something with oculus rift i always get told "noone will buy that" or on the other end "the military probably alreayd has something like that" so noone helps me with my bullshit

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

they're right to be annoyed when they have to return someone's poo poo miles away for free though

that's what happens when you're an "independent contractor". if they were working for a real taxi company they'd just be able to turn it in to their company and the company would take care of returning the good or getting the person to come pick it up. in some cities, like nyc and dc, taxi companies will hand over your items to a government department like the dc taxi commission or the nypd lost property division, who will hold it until you return it or even ship it to you

uber, on the other hand, has no lost item policy beyond "we'll give you all your drivers' numbers and let you call them to find out if they've thrown out your poo poo yet", and puts all the responsibility on the drivers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when this all comes to a head and uber gets charged with tax evasion or workplace safety violations or whatever...what argument will the government use to claim that uber is an employer of taxi drivers and not just a service facilitating like-minded *pffrrrtfrttttt* or whatever they say?

i know that fedex or ups got smoked a while back for claiming that all their drivers were contractors but requiring that they wear a uniform and work specific hours. can uber be hit with that sort of thing for e.g. dropping you as a driver if you don't accept all the fares you get, which i think is a thing they do?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the closest one to what the model is supposed to be is sidecar, the drivers set their own rates [which of course results in a race to the bottom as they compete with each other for fares but markets gonna market]

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

when this all comes to a head and uber gets charged with tax evasion or workplace safety violations or whatever...what argument will the government use to claim that uber is an employer of taxi drivers and not just a service facilitating like-minded *pffrrrtfrttttt* or whatever they say?

i know that fedex or ups got smoked a while back for claiming that all their drivers were contractors but requiring that they wear a uniform and work specific hours. can uber be hit with that sort of thing for e.g. dropping you as a driver if you don't accept all the fares you get, which i think is a thing they do?

uber's "income guarantees" for drivers where they have to take 90% of pings and do one trip every hour and be available from 9pm to 5am will probably put them much closer to the fedex "these are actually employees" model. I think the fact that uber determines the rates and handles the money might be a part of that as well. i think the government, both federally and locally, has more than enough stuff to come down on uber if they want to, the question is, do they want to?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

that's what happens when you're an "independent contractor". if they were working for a real taxi company they'd just be able to turn it in to their company and the company would take care of returning the good or getting the person to come pick it up. in some cities, like nyc and dc, taxi companies will hand over your items to a government department like the dc taxi commission or the nypd lost property division, who will hold it until you return it or even ship it to you

uber, on the other hand, has no lost item policy beyond "we'll give you all your drivers' numbers and let you call them to find out if they've thrown out your poo poo yet", and puts all the responsibility on the drivers

having the phone loser come to them (presumably downtown/the most popular area) is a totally legit compromise and the driver should still expect a "thank you for not stealing my phone" tip. that poo poo's pretty basic

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

having the phone loser come to them (presumably downtown/the most popular area) is a totally legit compromise and the driver should still expect a "thank you for not stealing my phone" tip. that poo poo's pretty basic

lol paying people not to steal your personal property

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

lol paying people not to steal your personal property

agreed, but similarly lol expecting someone to go out of their way to accommodate your mistake

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that's why if it's a real company it would go to the depot and no extra effort on the part of the driver.

if they want to be considered like a cab/limo company they'd need to provide similar service. charging extra for delivery or shipping is of course only fair

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

lol wtf is this

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

agreed, but similarly lol expecting someone to go out of their way to accommodate your mistake

the "mistake" in this case was being an uber driver in the first place. that's what happens when you're an independent contractor who has to deal with the public. "be your own boss" and "not making enough to have employees" means you get to do all the unpleasant jobs yourself

this also extends to other mistakes your passengers make, like when a drunk passenger pukes all over your backseat. uber drivers have to clean that poo poo up themselves

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

the law. specifically the definitions section of the law.

because laws have to be very specific about what they cover in order to not be struck as unenforceable due to vagueness they all have a section at the beginning defining what they mean by certain terms. for example the austin taxi law defined a "for hire" transportation driver as anyone who accepted any form of payment (cash or barter) tips included in excess of the IRS reimbursement rates and defined a for hire transportation company as any company or organization that used any means (radio and portable electronic devices specifically mentioned) to dispatch or arrange for a for hire transportation driver to pick up a passenger.

uber is hosed because they aren't the first to try that sort of defense. even if the law didn't have that definition in it I highly doubt a judge would look at uber and not apply a duck test which clearly would result in them being termed a taxi company.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

all mistakes should be punished as severely as possible, it's the only way to reach perfection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm like 90% sure that last uber driver jacked my wallet, i don't think i 'left it on a bench' at all.

the charges didnt start till 45 mins after I called him looking for it despite it already being gone for 9 hours at that point, and they were run at a walmart that is in a side of town that he said he lived in.

vee oh vee we don't ride uber any more1

• Locked thread