Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Battlefront, how's Strategic Command?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

smr posted:

Clash of Steel was so goddamned good. Played I don't know how many games of that over the years.

Strategic Command I was the closest thing to a proper sequel we ever got and I still enjoy that here and there (can't get into any of the SC2 variants due to SQUARES) but CoS holds a special place in my heart. I'm hoping SC3 (back to hexes!) scratches that itch.

The Grandest Fleet was also so very good, enjoyed it much better than The Lost Admiral. It's screaming for like an iPad updated version.

I'm fond of SC2, but goddamn it looks like a really fugly Civ III mod. :smith:

LordPants posted:

Speaking of Battlefront, how's Strategic Command?

Yeah, I think it's pretty good. You're probably best off just getting Global/Assault on Democracy if you want all of WW2 or WW1/Breakthrough for WW1 and a WW2 scenario on the same big map. The earlier SC2 stuff is fairly outdated.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think the thing that personifies Battlefront's silly pricing and sales policy is the fact that they let an independent developer dig into the code for their original Combat Mission games to make them compatible on modern systems and then charged $5 for the patch to do so.

I just want to play my old copy of CM:BB :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think the thing that personifies Battlefront's silly pricing and sales policy is the fact that they let an independent developer dig into the code for their original Combat Mission games to make them compatible on modern systems and then charged $5 for the patch to do so.

I just want to play my old copy of CM:BB :(

Not sure what is wrong with this? They paid money to a guy (who now works for them full time) to make games released to older Windows versions compatible with newer ones. You could just keep Windows 98 installed and save the $5, though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Not sure what is wrong with this? They paid money to a guy (who now works for them full time) to make games released to older Windows versions compatible with newer ones. You could just keep Windows 98 installed and save the $5, though.

The real problem is calling it a 'patch' which people are accustomed to having for free, when if they had just re-released that games for the new price and called them 'remastered for Windows 8' then nobody would have blinked an eyelid.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Grognard (noun)

1. One who complains about the pricing of wargames.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I know this is a bit odd but anyone know of a grog/strategy game you can run on an android smartphone? I'm in the middle of a streak of long&boring night shifts.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The real problem is calling it a 'patch' which people are accustomed to having for free, when if they had just re-released that games for the new price and called them 'remastered for Windows 8' then nobody would have blinked an eyelid.

That, the charging a couple bucks for people who purchased Shock Force in stores to get all the same patches as the people who bought online, and the fact that honestly a lot of the things they charge ten bucks for in their 2.0/3.0 patches in the newer Combat Mission games seem like things other developers tend to patch in for free.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Illegal Username posted:

I know this is a bit odd but anyone know of a grog/strategy game you can run on an android smartphone? I'm in the middle of a streak of long&boring night shifts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=John%20Tiller%20Software&hl=en

Get your operational-level grog on wherever you go.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
:swoon:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Illegal Username posted:

There are many SNES emulators on Android, and the best game in the Pacific theater is there: P.T.O. 2. I play it mostly for the meetings, where you have to fight tooth and nail to secure your funding, plans for foreign policy and attack targets. It even models somewhat the potential for a military leader to become more influential than the president/prime minister. War in the Pacific PBEM can go to hell, two player local SNES wargames are where its at.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

shoot. shoot. shoot. disrupt. assault.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That, the charging a couple bucks for people who purchased Shock Force in stores to get all the same patches as the people who bought online, and the fact that honestly a lot of the things they charge ten bucks for in their 2.0/3.0 patches in the newer Combat Mission games seem like things other developers tend to patch in for free.

I don't think you can compare any of these things to what other developers do. Take for example the CMx1 patches. CMBO was released in 2000, the same year as Europa Universalis. Vista was released in 2007. The $5 Vista patch was released in 2009. How many developers patch their games after nine years from release? It's not necessary anyway, in my experience CMBO/BB/AK work just fine on Windows 7 (I haven't tried W8 but I assume the same applies), it seems that only Vista and XP were affected.

The CMSF patch which changes the Paradox/Gamers Gate copy protection to Battlefront's and lets you use BFC patches beyond v1.10 which is when Paradox ended supporting the product on their end is only one dollar, and not even needed if you install any modules to the game which will automatically do the same job. And seriously if you play CMSF without modules then there's something wrong with you.

The 2.0/3.0 upgrades are quite different from ordinary patches, eg. the 2.0 upgrade for CMBN adds normal maps to the game, 3.0 upgrade adds ground to air fire and so on. Still the current pricing system is confusing and it doesn't help that the products keep changing - eg. originally you just installed the Commonwealth module on top of CMBN but if you purchase it now you have to upgrade to 3.0 engine first. Which is fine if you purchased CMBN right now because then it will be upgraded to 3.0 engine automatically, but if you first purchased CMBN and then maybe at some point bought the 2.0 upgrade for it then now you must separately also purchase the 3.0 upgrade to play CW - whereas if you purchased CMBN and CW module when they came out, you don't need 3.0 upgrade to play them. :10bux: is little money but just describing it feels overly complicated and I don't want to think how many license keys I will have lying around if all titles get several engine upgrades over time...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Basically they're horrific at marketing and you do still pay a bit of a niche/indy-dev markup, but there's nothing heinous about their actions remotely on the scope of World in Flames Matrix shenanigans.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It seems like their main argument is that mass appeal and main exposure isn't a guaranteed success so they're not going to attempt it. They don't seem to have many negatives to their argument beyond, "We haven't done it in the past and we've been alright." It seems just like they're afraid of new things. [/grog]

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Nenonen posted:

It's not necessary anyway, in my experience CMBO/BB/AK work just fine on Windows 7

Really? I'll have to dig out a DVD drive and give my old copy a shot then. I assumed it was a lost cause on 7 if it didn't work on Vista.

I always liked CM:BB. One of the few tactical games that has some of the early war stuff. BT-5s vs Panzer 3s and all that.

Also one of the reasons I occasionally put up with Theatre of War and all its jankyness. Early Barbarossa, the Fall of France. Nice to play with something other than late Panzers, Sherman's, and T34s.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

My favourite part about CMBB is the minor nations that you don't see in games so often and their weird mixtures of equipment. Finland in particular, but there's also something magical about Hungary vs. Romania matches.

Or Italians in Stalingrad...

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 10, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Sweet, found the disc. And some sort of second disc labeled "Mod Disc". No idea what's on it.

Anyone recall if it had a CD Key? Only got the disc in a binder so far, haven't dug out the original case/manual that would have a key if there is one. Would like to avoid looking for those if I can help it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There are many SNES emulators on Android, and the best game in the Pacific theater is there: P.T.O. 2. I play it mostly for the meetings, where you have to fight tooth and nail to secure your funding, plans for foreign policy and attack targets. It even models somewhat the potential for a military leader to become more influential than the president/prime minister. War in the Pacific PBEM can go to hell, two player local SNES wargames are where its at.

PTO 2 has some neat things but when you play it a while you realize how the game kind of bursts at he seams. It's still fun, but the SNES version loads really slowly.

I had an Allied campaign in that game where I literally ran the Japanese out of army reserves as they teleported division after division into Iwo Jima to get wrecked by battleship/cruiser fleets. Battleships are mostly better than carriers because air attacks take massive casualties for some odd reason, and air attacks don't do anywhere near as much to troops as battleship bombardment. Battleships in the meanwhile can clear a four-division group on an island in less than a week.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Sweet, found the disc. And some sort of second disc labeled "Mod Disc". No idea what's on it.

Anyone recall if it had a CD Key? Only got the disc in a binder so far, haven't dug out the original case/manual that would have a key if there is one. Would like to avoid looking for those if I can help it.

No, the CDV version just requires the game disc to be in the drive (which is annoying).

The mod disc probably comes with the "Game of the Year" edition, it has a bunch of user made texture & sound mods on it. Grab them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Panzeh posted:

PTO 2 has some neat things but when you play it a while you realize how the game kind of bursts at he seams. It's still fun, but the SNES version loads really slowly.

I had an Allied campaign in that game where I literally ran the Japanese out of army reserves as they teleported division after division into Iwo Jima to get wrecked by battleship/cruiser fleets. Battleships are mostly better than carriers because air attacks take massive casualties for some odd reason, and air attacks don't do anywhere near as much to troops as battleship bombardment. Battleships in the meanwhile can clear a four-division group on an island in less than a week.

Yes, but it's also a game where the Foreign Minister can gently caress over Japan by forcing everyone to not declare war in time for an attack on Pearl Harbour. I love internal power struggles and politics too much to care about small details like that. All games need that is basically what I'm saying.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

It's a pretty cool game, but it must be said that the AI is absolutely atrocious. As in, "sink the entire opposing navy down to its destroyers in the first three months of warfare" atrocious. The complete monomania on taking mandated bases while almost entirely ignoring enemy fleets in the region leaves the AI open to getting raked over the coals by massed battleship fleets and carrier raids. You basically NEED to find someone else to play it with to get anything remotely approaching a challenge.

I agree that the internal politics part of it was pretty fun and original, though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yes, but it's also a game where the Foreign Minister can gently caress over Japan by forcing everyone to not declare war in time for an attack on Pearl Harbour. I love internal power struggles and politics too much to care about small details like that. All games need that is basically what I'm saying.

Yeah, absolutely. The conference minigame is cool, though it comes off as hella random because you can get jobbed by not ever having refuse or unify/direct/plead cards.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Do the other games in the series feature the internal politics portion? Because P.T.O. 4 is in English and on the PS2, and that might fix some of the issues with the actual strategy portion of it.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'm really glad I've gotten back into WiTP - haven't felt this groggy in years. Coordinating a landing operation with air and naval support and having it come off well is extraordinarily satisfying.

It's also the only Grigsby game I can stand, because it has benefited from a decade of patching, upgrades, and one full-on community remake.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Do the other games in the series feature the internal politics portion? Because P.T.O. 4 is in English and on the PS2, and that might fix some of the issues with the actual strategy portion of it.

PTO 4 is a very different game and it does not feature internal politics. It does include Europe, but is a significantly simpler game overall.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Alikchi posted:

I'm really glad I've gotten back into WiTP - haven't felt this groggy in years. Coordinating a landing operation with air and naval support and having it come off well is extraordinarily satisfying.

It's also the only Grigsby game I can stand, because it has benefited from a decade of patching, upgrades, and one full-on community remake.

I'm also really enjoying my first "proper" go at WitP, I'd never used the tracker before and it makes it into a totally different game almost. I used to get all worked up over microing things, and would inevitably forget lots every turn, then reload to fix it and feel like I was cheating. tracker takes if not all, then at least most of that pain away and lets me see the interesting parts of the game. Now if only I could get tracker working again, there's no way I can play without it now :qq:

Anyone who bought WitP on impulse and couldn't get into it should try it with the tracker, it's almost fun!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pharnakes posted:

I'm also really enjoying my first "proper" go at WitP, I'd never used the tracker before and it makes it into a totally different game almost. I used to get all worked up over microing things, and would inevitably forget lots every turn, then reload to fix it and feel like I was cheating. tracker takes if not all, then at least most of that pain away and lets me see the interesting parts of the game. Now if only I could get tracker working again, there's no way I can play without it now :qq:

Anyone who bought WitP on impulse and couldn't get into it should try it with the tracker, it's almost fun!

You got a link to this thing? I'm imagining like a WitP version of Dwarf Therapist.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Drone posted:

You got a link to this thing? I'm imagining like a WitP version of Dwarf Therapist.

https://sites.google.com/site/witptracker/

It's fantastic for keeping track of when LCUs or ships show up somewhere and managing the Japanese industry.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

uPen posted:

https://sites.google.com/site/witptracker/

It's fantastic for keeping track of when LCUs or ships show up somewhere and managing the Japanese industry.

Is it compatible with that beta patch that's been kicking around for the last year or so?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Yes, be warned getting it running is a little annoying but if you follow the instructions it should work fine.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Drone posted:

Is it compatible with that beta patch that's been kicking around for the last year or so?

There's a DLL in the beta folder that you have to copy into the tracker folder to replace the dll of the same name if you are using beta, they don't tell you this anywhere and it will not work without it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What I do is play WITP on my tablet and use WITP tracker and dropbox the saves from the tablet to the desktop. WITP is surprisingly tablet friendly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Okay, this tracker program is pretty neat. Spending some time trawling through the game's database now for neat stuff.

Both Charles de Gaulle and Leclerc are available leaders in-game for some reason. :stare:

Edit: oh God, Curtis Le May's aggression is a whopping 93. That sounds about right. The most aggressive general available to the allies.

Drone fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 11, 2015

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Are there any recommended addons like for the WitE?

I found a really great map addon so far, but wasn't sure what else was worth getting. I've enjoyed the shorter scenarios, but man, there's so much to take in with the big ones.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

:aaaaa:

I have vague memories of this from elementary school - I had no idea what was going on, but I liked watching it happen.
That was the day I became a grog.

Apparently there's a PC version available http://www.old-games.com/download/5452/p-t-o-ii

Baloogan posted:

What I do is play WITP on my tablet and use WITP tracker and dropbox the saves from the tablet to the desktop. WITP is surprisingly tablet friendly.
Wait, you can play WITP on a tablet? How?!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Wait, you can play WITP on a tablet? How?!

I got a tablet with an x86 processor and windows 8.1 and it works fine. I also use ShiftWindow to place the WITP window just right on the screen.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

It also works surprisingly well on phones/tablets through remote controlling PCs.

uPen fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 12, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I was proud of myself for mastering the interface of a Tiller game on iOS.

WitP though :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

dublish posted:

RPS had a bit about Battlefront and Steam today, and linked to this thread: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117381-sell-on-steam/

Eerily similar to Matrix/Slitherine's position a couple of years ago.
How are those guys still in business? Not just the anti steam stance but the "Steve" actively getting into forum slapfights thing.