Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Disco Infiva posted:

Wait, if they are working on BG 1.5 which is a completely new game, then that implies they got AD&D licence from Wizards or whoever, right? I thought they aren't giving it anymore.

Of course, this is if we presume that BG 1.5 is AD&D to begin with.

well, they've said that wizards doesn't want them to make a new game using d&d rules, they can only mod the baldur's gates. if wizards decided they wanted a studio to make a new d&d rpg, beamdogs track record isn't exactly stellar. i mean they completely hosed up with bg2EE and still haven't fixed it to the level the original was.

besides, i'm not sure i'd even want to play a d&d game with the current rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just checked out 5th edition and I would pay $$$ for a 5th edition Infinity Engine (or Infinity Engine-esque) game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Doomhammer posted:

Imoen Romance is eternally in development to remind us that not all mods are good mods.

Re-development, to add a ToB portion. The previous version, which was SoA-only, was done. I helped proofread the new version because I was part of the modding community at the time and thought surely that mod couldn't be as bad as its reputation suggested. I was wrong. :gonk:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I would love a mod that adds all the awesome IWD magic items to BG and BG2. Even better if they were intelligently added to named enemies and poo poo. I never played IWD before the EE came out and I am getting a huge kick out of all the awesome and varied items.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't remember any of the details of our 3D support on IWD2 except that there were problems with it. Sorry.

kujeger posted:

Just finished IWD2, and it seems the ending has a slight cliffhanger, or at least a pretty open ending. Was there ever any expansion/sequel being talked about?
The Black Hound carried over a few story elements. The place pictured in the intro (the sunlit outdoor patio area with grass/trees/a pond) was in Highmoon near the Leaves of Learning. It appeared pretty much as it did in the trailer and you would encounter Maralie looking over the book there as a potential companion (gnome druid/illusionist). There were other tie-ins, but they were *~ refs ~* rather than major plot points.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How far into production did The Black Hound make it?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It was about in the middle of production when it was canceled. We had a pretty good number of areas implemented, a ton more to go. Our area pipelines were very slow and fragile and were the first things we improved when we transitioned to Van Buren/Fallout 3.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
To be fair, the 3D support never really worked well in BG2 back in 2001. It's only now that it's becoming useful, seeing that the 3D drivers have matured while a lot of the old 2D tricks aren't being supported anymore.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Dyna Soar posted:

well, they've said that wizards doesn't want them to make a new game using d&d rules, they can only mod the baldur's gates. if wizards decided they wanted a studio to make a new d&d rpg, beamdogs track record isn't exactly stellar. i mean they completely hosed up with bg2EE

What's your specific problem with BG2EE? 1.3 seems fine to me.

Bort Bortles posted:

I just checked out 5th edition and I would pay $$$ for a 5th edition Infinity Engine (or Infinity Engine-esque) game.

Same here.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Dyna Soar posted:

it's pretty much the last "modern" rpg I tried to play. it was so clunky, ugly and the plot was just, meh, and I gave up after like, 5 hours.

I really hope pillars of eternity or numenera will be good.

I watched a video on youtube and apparently by the end you are as powerful as a god but the loading times were so horrendous that I never got beyond beating off 20 guards in some random nobleman's bedroom.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Airfoil posted:

What's your specific problem with BG2EE? 1.3 seems fine to me.

it's probably playable, but afaik still buggier than the original fully patched.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Decrepus posted:

I watched a video on youtube and apparently by the end you are as powerful as a god but the loading times were so horrendous that I never got beyond beating off 20 guards in some random nobleman's bedroom.
Are you sure you didn't end up in a persistent world RP server if you were beating so many people off?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Bort Bortles posted:

:agreed:

Still disappointed we never got some kind of 4th edition SRPG, but 5th would make a good game too. In my current BG ironman run I definitely find myself wishing I could multiclass 5th ed. style.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mountaineer posted:

:agreed:

Still disappointed we never got some kind of 4th edition SRPG, but 5th would make a good game too. In my current BG ironman run I definitely find myself wishing I could multiclass 5th ed. style.

I havent actually played a tabletop RPG in a while so I never played 4th but I heard it was....different. 5th seems like a refined 3rd edition, and IWD2 is my favourite Infinity Engine game because of its hybrid 3rd Edition ruleset. The simplified 5th edition rules would make the game more approachable / newbie friendly but still offer the depth of character development that so many people love and crave.

My IWD2 run that I just started with a Bard, Fighter, Sorcerer x2, Cleric x2 I just finished protecting the palisade and am about to go to Shaengarn Bridge (spelling?) and I'm just enjoying it so much.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Smol posted:

Eh, they can just make you lose XP to max 160k for story reasons. Irecinus torturing you or whatever.
I'd hope not. The game already strips you of your items. Removing your XP would be taking things too far, especially when the game now lets you have more XP than the limit when starting the game. They'd have to change the game to remove an existing feature.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Oh, yeah. Level drain. I forgot all about you.

Walking back to a temple from Windspear Hills to fix this problem is kinda the opposite of fun.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Airfoil posted:

Oh, yeah. Level drain. I forgot all about you.

Walking back to a temple from Windspear Hills to fix this problem is kinda the opposite of fun.

The good news about 1.3 is that it auto fills your spell book when you get restoration. Level drain still sucks but EE is worth it for that one fix.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm planning on finishing my ironman bg run tomorrow, if my main char doesn't hit lvl cap in Bg1, it starts when imported to BG2 with the same level he had at the end of BG2?

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 10, 2015

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea how backstabs work. How can I possibly deal less than 44 damage on x4 backstab when my minimum damage is 11 and the enemy has no damage reduction of any kind?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My first response would be to ask how is your minimum damage 11? Keeping in mind backstab multipliers are only applied to the physical damage portion, not to any additional elemental damage or anything.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

netcat posted:

I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea how backstabs work. How can I possibly deal less than 44 damage on x4 backstab when my minimum damage is 11 and the enemy has no damage reduction of any kind?

Some damage is not increased by the multiplier. Not sure about strength bonus or magic weapon bonuses (like on a +2 dagger or whatever), I know elemental damage definitely doesn't get boosted and is just added on at the end.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

netcat posted:

backstab multiplier is applied BEFORE bonus damage from Strength or magical damage present on the weapon.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm planning on finishing my ironman bg run tomorrow, if my main char doesn't hit lvl cap in Bg1, it starts when imported to BG2 with the same level he had at the end of BG2?
Your PC's XP total will get bumped up to 89K if he has less than that.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Excelzior posted:

backstab multiplier is applied BEFORE bonus damage from Strength or magical damage present on the weapon.

Actually, in BG innate magical damage bonuses are subject to the backstab multiplier, although elemental or other additional bonus damages are not.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So I have a question. Normally in BG2 I take my time in chapter 2, screw around, do lots of quests, and then go rescue Imoen after I'm late and buff, but this time I'm actually intending to keep her, so if I rush off to spellhold ASAP, am I going to lock myself out of any quests in the long term? Are there any quests and/or items that are ONLY available if you go after them before you get Imoen back?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Mzbundifund posted:

So I have a question. Normally in BG2 I take my time in chapter 2, screw around, do lots of quests, and then go rescue Imoen after I'm late and buff, but this time I'm actually intending to keep her, so if I rush off to spellhold ASAP, am I going to lock myself out of any quests in the long term? Are there any quests and/or items that are ONLY available if you go after them before you get Imoen back?

Not a single thing. I usually do all the side quest stuff in chapter 6.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Over in the Ironman thread, someone posted screenshots of a run and, in the portraits on the right side, the characters had their current and max HP listed on their portraits in nice, bold numbers. I don't know if this is a mod or just a setting of which I'm not familiar, but does anyone know how that was done? I asked in the thread, but that thread moves very fast and the chap who posted the original pictures doesn't have PM capability.

Here's a sample:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's a setting in at least unmodded BG2, although I forget how to turn it on.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

That looks to be the Enhanced Edition. I've just started my BG2 ironman run, and I've got the HP numbers showing by default.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it's one of the new default options in 1.3 ee (in your baldur.ini, "HP over head", a value of 0 means it's on). There's also a new max hp on level up option. It's also on by default.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Excelzior posted:

it's one of the new default options in 1.3 ee (in your baldur.ini, "HP over head", a value of 0 means it's on). There's also a new max hp on level up option. It's also on by default.

I take it that it's for BG2:EE only, and not 1?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

If you're playing BG2EE I think Hexxat leaves when Chapter 4 starts.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I'm contemplating a Kensai/Druid dual-class. What's a good druid weapon type to have grandmastery in BG2? Also since I'd dual at level 9 and I recall druids having a weird level curve, would level 10 be one of the ones that has a big xp gap?

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 11, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mountaineer posted:

I'm contemplating a Kensai/Druid dual-class. What's a good druid weapon type to have grandmastery in BG2? Also since I'd dual at level 9 and I recall druids having a weird level curve, would level 10 be one of the ones that has a big xp gap?

Spear can be fun, Club if you concentrate on boosting your fire resistance then use the club of detonation. The big xp gap for druids is between level 14 and 15, so you should be fine dualing at 9.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Druids get level 9 the fastest of all classes for some reason

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Skwirl posted:

Spear can be fun, Club if you concentrate on boosting your fire resistance then use the club of detonation. The big xp gap for druids is between level 14 and 15, so you should be fine dualing at 9.

A kensai/druid sounds like a good excuse to use the impaler, my favorite weapon that I've never actually used.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Druids get level 9 the fastest of all classes for some reason

this. part of the reason why a Berserker/druid dual is a ridiculously good option for a "tank" character.

Kensai/druid not so much, obviously.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Excelzior posted:

this. part of the reason why a Berserker/druid dual is a ridiculously good option for a "tank" character.

Kensai/druid not so much, obviously.

Eh, they get barkskin and ironskin. Those two spells go a long way to mitigate the cons of a kensai. Barkskin is especially good because, unlike mage armor spells, it improves with level. I just wish it lasted longer, but what else are you going to memorize at 2nd level?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Goodberries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'd go club grandmastery 2 pips in dual wield and then the rest in spears. That way you can dual wield with belm in offhand, then switch to spears once you get HLAs (switch to a spear and activating whirlwind in particular is very satiafying)