Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've seen the body of St. Clare of Assisi, and either her remains themselves look like she's been turned to wax, or someone has put a wax mask over the face, because that's what she looked like. A friend of mine (who was with me in Assisi when we saw St. Clare) was in France this summer and saw the body of St. Catherine Laboure, and she said that, unlike St. Clare, the body looked like a living person who was asleep.

I would love to learn more about these cases -- are they all hoaxes and the bodies have been embalmed? Surely even embalmed corpses decay over centuries? St. Clare of Assisi died in the 1200s and St. Catherine Laboure died in 1876, for reference.
There have been several good books on this. The one you want IMHO is The Mummy Congress: Science, Obsession, and the Everlasting Dead by Heather Pringle. It examines a whole bunch of mummies, natural and artificial, and talks about how it's done. An important discovery, mentioned in the book, was that some incorrupt saints were actually embalmed at the time of death, and this embalming was simply forgotten over the decades and centuries.

IIRC an incorrupt corpse is no longer required (or counted) as a precondition to sainthood.

This link is a good place to start:
http://www.orderofthegooddeath.com/really-whats-incorrupt-corpses

e: I forgot to mention that most saints on display have wax masks over their faces and hands: hence the doll-like appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Rabbit Hill posted:

I would love to learn more about these cases -- are they all hoaxes and the bodies have been embalmed? Surely even embalmed corpses decay over centuries? St. Clare of Assisi died in the 1200s and St. Catherine Laboure died in 1876, for reference.

According to Fortean Times, which has covered this topic a few times, there are more than a few genuine cases. The cause is unclear but things are complicated by:

- most (all?) cases aren't totally free of decay, often they discolour and shrivel strangely

- some "incorruptibles" have suddenly started decaying for no apparent reason

- which of course leads people to start overtly preserving the "incorruptible" corpse. (I think the above us one of them - the corpse certainly has a mask.)

- the phenomena is usually associated with saints, so it's uncomfortable that there are a few incorruptibles corpses belonging to those with very unsaintly lives. (Seem to recall one was a fascist.)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah. On the topic of incorruptibles. It's not really all THAT odd that when you separate a corpse from air, keep it in a cool, dry, clean place out of the sun, and possibly anoint it with oils and/or smoke that might have antimicrobial properties, you sometimes don't see a lot of obvious decay.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Gibfender posted:

Christ. I can't say I wasn't warned but gently caress me that was difficult to sit through. The Dnepropetrovsk maniacs video has always been one no amount of morbid curiosity could make me watch.

For unnerving I've always been partial to Chernobyl in terms of how close thing got to becoming a global rather than local disaster.

I'm a big fan of this BBC docu-drama covering the immediate aftermath:

http://youtu.be/yk3-XUe0oEU

The part where they sent the divers in. Oh my god ;_;

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

On the subject of incorruptibles, there was the mystery of the body of Rosalia Lombardo in which she was soo well emblamed it looked like she was just asleep. Until recently, no one knew what technique the embalmer used, as he died before anyone was able to ask him how he did it. However, the mystery has since been solved when they found a memoir written by the embalmer where he described his technique. Not as unnerving a case anymore, the last time I read about it was actually before they had found the process notes!

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Jisae posted:

On the subject of incorruptibles, there was the mystery of the body of Rosalia Lombardo in which she was soo well emblamed it looked like she was just asleep. Until recently, no one knew what technique the embalmer used, as he died before anyone was able to ask him how he did it. However, the mystery has since been solved when they found a memoir written by the embalmer where he described his technique. Not as unnerving a case anymore, the last time I read about it was actually before they had found the process notes!

Time lapse footage of her opening her eyes due to temperature changes:

http://www.cultofweird.com/death/rosalia-lombardo-blinking-mummy/

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Warrahooyaargh posted:

that is creepy as poo poo

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Jisae posted:

There's also the mummy of Xin Zhui, which was preserved well enough to still be soft/flexible and autopsied after 2,000 years. Supposedly they've developed some "secret compound" to preserve her further, but I don't know if anyone's ever figured out exactly how it was done in the first place.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Reminds me of Starlite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlite
http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2014/10/the-lost-miracle-material-that-could-have-changed-the-world/

A miracle material that could have changed the world, but instead died with it's creator.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nettle Soup posted:

Reminds me of Starlite.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2014/10/the-lost-miracle-material-that-could-have-changed-the-world/

A miracle material that could have changed the world, but instead died with it's creator.
Christ, I remember seeing that on Tomorrow's World as kid. It kind of sucks that he took the formula to his grave but he's not Tony loving Stark - someone else will figure it out eventually, surely?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Christ, I remember seeing that on Tomorrow's World as kid. It kind of sucks that he took the formula to his grave but he's not Tony loving Stark - someone else will figure it out eventually, surely?

Yeah, it's not that big a deal. If someone gets ahold of a sample, we can make it again. There's just legal bullshit in the way right now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It has some hallmarks of fraud, like going the media route before establishing a business to make or sell the stuff and never letting anyone do more than some initial testing, plus being a huckster showman about it. Plus, it really plays into the lone maverick genius myth that Americans love so much, but what could some guy do in his garage that dupont couldn't? It's not like there aren't lots of people trying to make heat shielding.

Plus, why wouldn't his family use the stuff to make money now that he's dead? Or sell what's left of his notes?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jack Gladney posted:

It has some hallmarks of fraud, like going the media route before establishing a business to make or sell the stuff and never letting anyone do more than some initial testing, plus being a huckster showman about it. Plus, it really plays into the lone maverick genius myth that Americans love so much, but what could some guy do in his garage that dupont couldn't? It's not like there aren't lots of people trying to make heat shielding.

Plus, why wouldn't his family use the stuff to make money now that he's dead? Or sell what's left of his notes?

Yeah my instinct upon reading that is that it's more showmanship than science. Who knows though, some people are crazy.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Jack Gladney posted:

I really agree here. Can a patent not have worked for his purposes?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah it reminds me of Troy Hurtubise. Check out his 'Angel Light':

"According to Hurtubise, the device makes walls, hands, stealth shielding, and other objects transparent. He also claims that beams from the device have the side-effects of frying electronic devices and killing goldfish. After testing the device on his own hand, Hurtubise claims he could see his own blood vessels and muscle tissue as clearly as if the skin had been pulled back, but the beam caused numbness and he began to feel ill. He also claims to be able to read the license-plate on a car in his garage from his workshop, and can see the road salt on it.[11][12][13]"

Also various other inventions that are suspiciously effective but never really leave his lab for some reason, also including heat shielding materials funnily enough. He's the dude who made anti-bear armour for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5-qdA

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The thing I find particularly disturbing about Rosalia Lombardo is that her corpse has persisted long past the people who were so griefstricken they wanted her preserved. Most people who are deliberately mummified have it done for cultural/religious reasons: beliefs about the afterlife, human sacrifice, political significance (Stalin, Mao, Eva Peron). In that case, there are reasons for the embalming that outlast the people personally affected by the death. Rosalia, by contrast, was preserved because of her parents' grief. Now they (and everybody who knew her) are dead, and the only reason for her corpse to persist is tourism. She's not even being used as a "Remember that as thou art, I was" memento mori; by comparison with the other corpses in catacombs, she looks great (ish).

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I agree that the starlite thing sounds shady as gently caress when you read about it but I remember them blowtorching the piss out of an egg and not cooking it on Tomorrow's World and it'll just shatter my loving worldview if it turns out Judith Hann was in on the deception.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Jack Gladney posted:

Not letting any reports be published in journals is a ten-story high flashing-red warning sign to me.

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Jan 10, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BurroughsBane posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, you should watch Southcliffe. It's on Netflix, and according to wikipedia, follows the events and personal repercussions of a mass shooting in the fictional town of Southcliffe, the events and location of which contain very strong similarities with the Hungerford massacre. It's pretty good and the acting alone is incredible moving.

I second. It's still my favorite of all the "Netflix Original" stuff.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I second. It's still my favorite of all the "Netflix Original" stuff.

I think the last episode was a huge letdown, but 1-3 were both amazing and horrifying.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Warrahooyaargh posted:

This article says that the blinking thing is bunk, it's an optical illusion based on shifting light:

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/optical-illusion-child-mummy-opens-and-closes-her-eyes-140620.htm

But when you look at side-by-side pics, the light doesn't seem to have changed much at all? I'm looking at her hair, the folds on the blanket, and the glare off the glass.

This gif kinda points to it being different camera angles, you can the shift in the case's lines :

Any photo pros here that care to weigh in?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Any photo pros here that care to weigh in?

IANAPP, but I will say that the face on Mars still looks loving amazing, despite knowing that it's just shadows. That looks like a dead kid opening her eyes, whatever the reality.

Maybe it's just shifting light, but it doesn't seem that clear in those photos. The light above and below the eyes stays consistent, and only one of those frames seems to have significantly different lighting, over all. I'd think a few closeups and a ruler could put this to rest in peace.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nettle Soup posted:

Reminds me of Starlite.

imagine what this mixed with red mercury could do..

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jack Gladney posted:

The only thing he was missing was "I'll only release the secret on this day at this time!"

I'm glad the hairdresser-turned-amateur-chemist had a hobby he was interested in, but convincing people that vastly safer fire-fighting equipment and aircraft were totally possible but only with his help was a lovely thing to do.

The super-secret formula lives on, though, as fuel for clickbait articles, so I guess he accomplished something

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Aspergillosis. Seems like a lovely way to go. Also, potentially what Chopin died from, if the embalmed heart in a jar of cognac is actually his: http://m.bbc.com/news/magazine-29915863

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

RNG posted:

Aspergillosis. Seems like a lovely way to go. Also, potentially what Chopin died from, if the embalmed heart in a jar of cognac is actually his: http://m.bbc.com/news/magazine-29915863

Similarly, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergilloma (:nms:, gross picture)

quote:

An aspergilloma, also known as a mycetoma or fungus ball, is a clump of mold which exists in a body cavity such as a paranasal sinus or an organ such as the lung.

quote:

The fungus settles in a cavity and is able to grow free from interference because critical elements of the immune system are unable to penetrate into the cavity. As the fungus multiplies, it forms a ball, which incorporates dead tissue from the surrounding lung, mucus, and other debris.

quote:

Aspergillomata can also form in other organs. They can form abscesses in solid organs such as the brain or kidney, usually in people who are immunocompromised. They can also develop within body cavities such as the sphenoid or paranasal sinuses, the ear canal, and on surfaces such as heart valves.

quote:

Although most fungi — especially Aspergillus — fail to grow in healthy human tissue, significant growth may occur in people whose adaptive immune system is compromised, such as those with chronic granulomatous disease, who are undergoing chemotherapy, or who have recently undergone a bone marrow transplantation. Within the lungs of such individuals the fungal hyphae spread out as a spherical growth. With restoration of normal defense mechanisms, neutrophils and lymphocytes are attracted to the edge of the spherical fungal growth where they lyse, releasing tissue-digesting enzymes as a normal function. A sphere of infected lung is thus cleaved from the adjacent lung. This sphere flops around in the resulting cavity and is recognized on x-ray as a fungus ball but is really a "lung ball".

:stonkhat:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There's a whole subculture on youtube of watching those being scraped out of peoples ears.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ear+fungus (:nms:)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Nettle Soup posted:

There's a whole subculture on youtube of watching those being scraped out of peoples ears.

...WHY? Why is this a thing? :stonklol:

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I listened to that and they left that audio running far too long. I unsubscribed.

In fact, I'd already emailed them about an earliest episode which started, with no warning, with a guy explaining in great detail how he sexually abused his stepson. I'll never forget that piece of audio til I die.
Yeah, I started off liking Sword & Scale but they're far too gratuitous with that stuff. I started losing interest when one episode was just robotic voices reading out chatlogs of two guys talking about how they wanted to eat toddlers with zero exposition, but putting in a horrific three(?)-minute clip of some poor guy getting killed by murderers that aren't even the topic of the episode was the last straw. I want to understand the formation and motivation behind murderers, not listen to (sometimes literally) the audio to a gore video.

I'll stick with Dan Zupansky's True Murder podcast, he does a good job of going into the background of his subjects, even if he still can't work out how to get his guests in on time after 200+ episodes.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

eightpole posted:

imagine what this mixed with red mercury could do..

Which is cause for me to again cite the wonderful Fortean Times: they did a lot of chasing up of all mentions of red mercury which could be distilled down to one sentence:

Everyone thinks it's really important and valuable but no one can quite agree on what it does.

Terrorists have tried to buy it. Intelligence agencies and police track interest in it. Gangs traffic in it. But no one knows what it does. Is it radioactive itself? Is it an incredibly powerful explosive? is it vital to nuclear triggers and detonators?

Nice summary from news article halfway down this page: http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/red-mercury.18000/

Also see: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/chemicalweapons/f/blredmercury.htm and http://www.entrewave.com/view/y2k/s11p925.htm

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

darkwasthenight posted:

Not letting any reports be published in journals is a ten-story high flashing-red warning sign to me.

He did let a couple companies run tests on it though, including a subdivision of the British ministry of defense. If it's a fraud there's a lot of people in on it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Puseklepp posted:

He did let a couple companies run tests on it though, including a subdivision of the British ministry of defense. If it's a fraud there's a lot of people in on it.
I was looking for video of it just to reassure myself that I hadn't imagined the whole thing and there's a youtube channel of it being tested by various people. Looks like it might just have been a variation on aerogels to me now that I see it in action again. Do we have any cutting edge material scientists handy to give an opinion?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Pilchenstein posted:

I was looking for video of it just to reassure myself that I hadn't imagined the whole thing and there's a youtube channel of it being tested by various people. Looks like it might just have been a variation on aerogels to me now that I see it in action again. Do we have any cutting edge material scientists handy to give an opinion?

Making aerogel in any significant quantity in your garage would be obscenely difficult and expensive, and literally impossible using only off-the-shelf goods available at the grocery/hardware store.

I know it's fun to believe this small-town hairdresser with no formal education was able to cook something up in his garage that would change the world, but it's clearly a sham.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

The children of the factory workers making electronics in Korea are at risk for birth defects. Not Wikipedia, but disturbing nonetheless: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/01/samsung-semiconductor-children_n_6200380.html?cps=gravity

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Making aerogel in any significant quantity in your garage would be obscenely difficult and expensive, and literally impossible using only off-the-shelf goods available at the grocery/hardware store.

I know it's fun to believe this small-town hairdresser with no formal education was able to cook something up in his garage that would change the world, but it's clearly a sham.

How did he fool those people testing his material and the people in the TV show?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Puseklepp posted:

How did he fool those people testing his material and the people in the TV show?

Maybe his real genius was inventing an aerosol serum that made rational people susceptible to implausible phenomena.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Puseklepp posted:

People making shows for Discovery and History manage it every day somehow.

Did you know a voodoo shark lives in a Louisiana bayou? Also aliens built the pyramids.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Maybe his real genius was inventing an aerosol serum that made rational people susceptible to implausible phenomena.

Or maybe he invented an uncookable egg.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

People making shows for Discovery and History manage it every day somehow.

Did you know a voodoo shark lives in a Louisiana bayou? Also aliens built the pyramids.

And don't forget about Mermaids.

quote:

"It is a hoax," wrote Ross Feinstein of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, which oversees the seizure of web sites engaged in criminal activity. Claiming that mermaids exist is not a crime, Feinstein said by telephone.

"This operation is focused on counterfeit goods and piracy, not freedom of speech - including those regarding the existence of mermaids," he wrote. "It is not our agency's position to judge whether or not mermaids exist or don't exist. ... Our agency has no open investigations into any issues regarding mermaids."

In defense of their docudrama, they did a... fairly convincing job of it. There was enough scientific references that were brought up that it sounded pretty plausible. I remember getting my mom to watch it and immediately after, having her ask me if mermaids are real.

Brainbread has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This was literally an episode of the X-Files.