Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I would say Bakker is the closest comparable author I have read but dude needs to lay off the sex stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cardiac posted:

I kinda liked Bloodsong, at least along the lines as a enjoyable read. It is not like I will reread it like I have done with other series.
As for Lightbringer, it has some interesting ideas and is at least easy to read. But the characters are just uninteresting and the whole story is just wish-fullfilment all the time.

Good summary.
By Sanderson, I have read the WoT books, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings and Mistborn and while he is not horrible, he is also just not fun to read since the characters are just so bland. If Way of Kings is Sandersons version of moral ambiguity, I don't know what to say anymore.

Sanderson either has a less nuanced view of the world or that's just his style of writing. I don't think his characters are that much more shallow than Erikson's, though Erikson definitely goes deeper into the history of his world than Sanderson does.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hand Row posted:

I would say Bakker is the closest comparable author I have read but dude needs to lay off the sex stuff.

To be fair, this is true of many authors. Does it help the story? Cool. Go wild. Otherwise, I'm really not interested in someone else's sexual fantasies.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Ynglaur posted:

To be fair, this is true of many authors. Does it help the story? Cool. Go wild. Otherwise, I'm really not interested in someone else's sexual fantasies.

Oh how I wish it was just sex ninja village fantasies with Bakker. He has rather strong views on sexuality. Here is a blog post covering his quotes. Male gaze rape machines woo.

https://fozmeadows.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/the-problem-of-r-scott-bakker/

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I am not a fan of Bakker's writing style or a lot of decisions he makes in his books but that blogpost looks highly suspect and pretty drat fallacious.
edit: And let's face it, Bakker's coming out way ahead in the following discussion. Hell, the blogger even admits they haven't read the book they're bitching about.
Really, the more I read of it the author of the blog comes as a rabid, foaming-at-the mouth fanatic.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 7, 2015

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Honestly I didn't read much of the bloggers comments, just read what Bakker says.

I don't really care in the end if he has a grim view of sexuality and has views like men judge everything by rapeability, but I would prefer those topics not be covered in my nerd fantasy books.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 7, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I am not a fan of Bakker's writing style or a lot of decisions he makes in his books but that blogpost looks highly suspect and pretty drat fallacious.
edit: And let's face it, Bakker's coming out way ahead in the following discussion. Hell, the blogger even admits they haven't read the book they're bitching about.
Really, the more I read of it the author of the blog comes as a rabid, foaming-at-the mouth fanatic.

On Bakker, I would recommend the thread for his books, since it is less hyperbolic compared to the recommendation thread.
I enjoyed Bakker, although sometimes he takes the whole rape thing too far. On the other hand, Erikson have very little of this (Hetan a obvious exception) which is kinda interesting considering how rape have been the result of human warfare the last 10k years.
Not that I am complaining, since having a fantasy series largely free of creepy things is kinda nice.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think Bakker even thanks Erikson in his acknowledgements for being one of the inspirations to his book.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Cardiac posted:

On Bakker, I would recommend the thread for his books, since it is less hyperbolic compared to the recommendation thread.
I enjoyed Bakker, although sometimes he takes the whole rape thing too far. On the other hand, Erikson have very little of this (Hetan a obvious exception) which is kinda interesting considering how rape have been the result of human warfare the last 10k years.
Not that I am complaining, since having a fantasy series largely free of creepy things is kinda nice.

Erikson is on the whole a fairly decent author from a feminist standpoint, at least in the genre. Women are essentially treated as interchangeable with men and several protagonists are women without being given an essentially "woman" storyline.

Having said that, I don't particularly like the Janall storyline with repeated torture, but the Hetan stuff he has written a bit about in the Malazan Reread of the Fallen: Link

(Warning for both Dust of Dreams spoilers and awful torture/rape stuff)

Steven Erikson posted:

So, while I’m sure I’ll find some time to weigh in on this discussion thread, it’s occurred to me to put some thoughts down now, to which you can object, pick apart, or otherwise mull over now that we’ve reached this point in the reread.

I think it’s already been touched on by a few readers, but the details relating to the hobbling are not invented out of the blue. There is plenty of evidence for hobbling and other forms of similarly debilitating torture, prehistorically, historically and of course in our present age.

The question that arises is: why did I have to drag you all through such a horrific event? There are so many ways to answer this, I almost don’t know where to start. I suppose we can begin with dispensing with the notion that ‘Fantasy’ as I write it, is escapist literature. It isn’t. For me, the ‘fantasy’ world is a simulacra, a curious reflection of our real world, and the thing that binds the two is the human condition. I would think that, after almost nine complete novels, this much should be readily evident by now. I use the invented universe to talk about this one, and no, I don’t think this is particularly unique or in any way exceptional (even in novels where writers have clearly not consciously considered the relationship between the invented world of their fiction and the real world in which they live, they all end up saying something about that relationship, even when they don’t mean to. This is one of the topics I find myself addressing more and more at cons and other public venues where we talk about the genre: the proliferation of gratuitous violence not just in recent Fantasy fiction, but on film and in television, where heroes assume a pathological indifference to those they kill or to those who die as an indirect consequence to their actions, and the way in which these ‘fictions’ are both a reflection and a potential affirmation of a kind of acceptable sociopathy in modern society – but this topic deserves much more space than I’ll be providing here, so we’ll move on).

Last evening I had a conversation with my wife on our topic here, and the online discussion it would soon initiate. She has not read the novel, so I gave a brief description of the scene, and explained to her how the discussions on the TOR Re-read have already included comments indicating readers’ revulsion, rejection, dismissal and/or anger at the scene in question. Coincidentally, she had earlier that day been listening to a CBC radio program discussing Joseph Boyden’s novel, The Orenda, in which scenes of torture (between First Nation tribes at around the time of first contact) were written in graphic, unblinking detail. These descriptions of torture proved controversial (perhaps for the same reasons the hobbling in Dust of Dreams are, but not entirely so, as Boyden happens to be First Nations himself, and by virtue of tackling home-grown inhumanity was clearly bucking against the romanticisation of First Nation peoples in a general sense, but doing so with the intent of unifying all peoples, regardless of culture or origin, into a commonality of the human condition – and upon every level imaginable to me, Boyden’s courage leaves mine in the dust).

In any case, my wife responded with something like this: ‘when you come upon a scene like that, you read it, and you read it for every victim of torture in the world today, and no matter how horrified, or appalled, or disgusted you feel, nothing you are experiencing, in the reading of those scenes, can compare to what the victims of torture felt and will feel. And that is why you read it. You don’t turn away, or hide your eyes. You read it, because the truth, and those very real victims out there in our own world, deserve no less.’

Hmm. And that’s why I wrote it, too.

But this brings me to a few comments I’ve noted already, in which the term ‘gratuitous’ was used to describe the hobbling scene and its aftermath. That is a term I object to in every possible way. In fact, even the label thrown so casually (lazily?) at me (and that scene in particular) leaves me incensed. If you consider the above position, and take note of the flat, reportorial style I use in recounting the event, there is nothing gratuitous in there. Nothing at all. I wrote out what needed to be there, to make explicit and unambiguous what was going on. In terms of psychic distance, I pulled right back, as far as I could go, until the voice ceased to be mine, ceased to ‘belong’ to a narrator. All of this is the opposite of gratuitous, and leads me to wonder if those who readily use that label, even understand what it means.

Gratuitous violence revels in details, often under the guise of ‘being realistic,’ but betrays its delight in the telling. It is violence recounted without purpose beyond the spectacle itself. The language begins to gush, redolent with excitement. The psychic distance rushes inward, invites you into the glory of mayhem, of pain and suffering, of the most base emotions of vengeance, malice, and the hunger for destruction. I could offer plenty of examples of gratuitous violence in popular fiction and film and television, but really, I can’t be bothered. It’s out there, and it’s legion.

As always, an author seeks a covenant with the reader. It begins, from the author’s point of view, with a promise, and that promise is implicit in the opening scenes of any work, or series. It would be hard to argue that I was in any way coy or ambiguous with the opening chapters of Gardens of the Moon, the first novel in the Malazan series. But that promise, if left to stand alone, unbound to any guiding purpose or intent, unbound to any deliberate thematic position, would indeed have arrived in the coldest of tones, from which all manner of gratuitous poo poo could be expected to follow. We’re now nine books into the series, and the discussion of themes reappear again and again in this re-read, with considerable unity in the recognition of those themes; and it is that recognition that underscores the rest of my promise in this covenant I seek with you. The language of redemption is compassion. Compassion is all about understanding, and understanding is all about seeing, clear-eyed, all the things we would, perhaps, rather not see.

And to be clear here, ‘seeing’ is all we’re doing. I suspect that very few of us here has experienced torture, of the kind that debilitates with purpose (no-one who has survived sole-beating can ever again walk without experiencing pain, and, yes, they are out there, in our world, right now). Our experience is vicarious but then, that is what reading novels is all about.

The hobbling of Hetan was no direct repudiation of the Noble Savage (been there and done that in House of Chains). It was about social control, maintenance of the status quo, and above all, about ritual recognition (and damnation) of the ‘Other.’ It was about the mental process by which we collectively and individually engage in the mental exercise of dehumanizing the ‘One Who Does Not Belong.’ But as concepts these are all very well, and if left abstract they serve little purpose but to elicit the knowing nod and perhaps a sorrowful shake of the head.

That’s not good enough.

So, back to the covenant: recoil in horror with this scene. I did. But keep your eyes on the page. Read it through, but not for me. Don’t for an instant read it through for my sake.

Torture is going on right now. People are being maimed. Some will die. Others will live with pain and trauma for the rest of their lives. And if you’re at all like me, you feel helpless to do anything about it. But one thing you do have a choice over: you can turn away. Cover your eyes. You can cry out: “I didn’t agree to this!” You can even, with indignation, get angry with me and say: “Why did you do this to me?” You can, above all, dismiss the whole thing as trivial – it’s just a fantasy novel, after all, written by someone most people have never heard of and never will.

The hobbling of Hetan is the nadir of the human condition. Sometimes, just seeing such a nadir reminds us of how far we still have to go, in this age of waterboarding and the sustained vilification of the ‘Other,’ and while such acts of violence are in all likelihood very distant from us readers here, they exist, as a chapter in the history of our own civilization, our own culture, and future books recounting the history of our present, will note us with clinical clarity, as nations in which torture was both condoned and conducted.

What a miserable truth to leave behind.

I didn’t write that scene for you. I wrote it for them. And I ask the same of you. Read it for them. As my wife said, whatever we feel is as nothing compared to what the victims have, and will, go through. And in the grand scheme of things, our brief disquiet seems, to me now as it did then, a most pathetic cry in this vast wilderness.

Go well. I will look in on the discussion when able.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I... actally really like that line of reasoning. Gives you a different context on violence depictions and why they're there.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

anilEhilated posted:

I... actally really like that line of reasoning. Gives you a different context on violence depictions and why they're there.

Yeah I thought it was a really well written post. I'd actually say he's one of the least awful people writing fantasy novels, not that there's a whole lot of competition in that.

Though LOL at his wife not reading his poo poo.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like to think his wife thinks of his novels as just some nerdy thing he and his friend do.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Ethiser posted:

I like to think his wife thinks of his novels as just some nerdy thing he and his friend do.

I always wondered if he shoves his success in her face periodically. "Remember honey when you said those D&D sessions were a waste a time and I needed some real hobbies??"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hand Row posted:

I finished FoD and want more. Any recommendations? I read Abercrombie and Sanderson and the like but they aren't in the same class. Lynch was promising but his series is getting weaker. Gene Wolfe is incredible but I already read the Sun books.

Try Michelle West's Sun Sword series. It has a lot of the same elements that make Malazan great(huge scope and great world-building with tons of historical, mythological & cultural backstory, Gods and Demons taking an active part in the world, all types of magic fuckery, awesome battles/action on both a large scale and small squad-based scale, all types of political intrigue & power-playing, shades-of-grey characterization for most characters and factions, and you get philosophical type poo poo in the mix too). This is probably the closest you'll get to Malazan in another fantasy series.

Guy Gavriel Kay stand alone novels are well-written fantasy that hit a lot of the same emotional cues as Malazan for me.

Like other people have already mentioned Bakker is great too. His world-building is right up there with Malazan's, he has a lot of philosophy and metaphysics mixed in, and his series has a ton of complexity and depth.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I got Bakker's first - Prince of Nothing? - like two years ago based on recommendations from this and the rec thread, and while I thought it would be the oft warned of dragon rape that I'd have the most trouble with, I actually couldn't get past the hodge podge of names just in the first couple of pages. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Ugh, I really didn't want more Olar Ethil. She's even worse in FoD than the was in the main series. Regardless, I'm in awe of Erikson's effort in this book, and in the Malazan universe. I feel like pieces are being put in place, but they're never quite how I would have imagined, and are better for it. Really amazing stuff. Waiting for Fall of Light is gonna be tough.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Erikson is on the whole a fairly decent author from a feminist standpoint, at least in the genre. Women are essentially treated as interchangeable with men and several protagonists are women without being given an essentially "woman" storyline.

I have always had a soft spot for Picker and Blend, cause there is something about a couple of lesbian soldiers behaving like old married people.

Zeitgueist posted:

Having said that, I don't particularly like the Janall storyline with repeated torture, but the Hetan stuff he has written a bit about in the Malazan Reread of the Fallen: Link

Yeah, I forgot about the Janall storyline. It is luckily mercifully short in the larger perspective.

Habibi posted:

I got Bakker's first - Prince of Nothing? - like two years ago based on recommendations from this and the rec thread, and while I thought it would be the oft warned of dragon rape that I'd have the most trouble with, I actually couldn't get past the hodge podge of names just in the first couple of pages. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

If you can manage GoTM or LoTR, it is not worse than that. Actually less characters than Malazan and fewer storylines.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Picker and Blend were a couple? I thought they were just (lesbian) best buds.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Habibi posted:

If I remember that correctly, the prologue isn't supposed to make any sense on a first read. It gets pretty good later on, Bakker's handling of sex aside.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

apophenium posted:

Ugh, I really didn't want more Olar Ethil. She's even worse in FoD than the was in the main series. Regardless, I'm in awe of Erikson's effort in this book, and in the Malazan universe. I feel like pieces are being put in place, but they're never quite how I would have imagined, and are better for it. Really amazing stuff. Waiting for Fall of Light is gonna be tough.

Oh man. gently caress Olar Ethil.

Credit to Erikson though, the whole scene with her and Gate Sergent Raskan getting his head absorbed/chopped off by her belly was some quality horror poo poo though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That was probably one of the most surreal things I've ever read.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Going through a re read at the moment and I can't remember whether a character in house of chains comes up again, it's the toblakai under the monastery which was possessed by the demon Kalam fights outside the whirlwind. It gets chosen by Togg and Fanderay and they start working through the wards on it but I don't remember it showing up anywhere else.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Xemloth posted:

Going through a re read at the moment and I can't remember whether a character in house of chains comes up again, it's the toblakai under the monastery which was possessed by the demon Kalam fights outside the whirlwind. It gets chosen by Togg and Fanderay and they start working through the wards on it but I don't remember it showing up anywhere else.
Heh, I just passed that part on my audiobook reread (the fourth or fifth?) and had wondered the same thing, but I couldn't recall it ever coming up again.

anilEhilated posted:

If I remember that correctly, the prologue isn't supposed to make any sense on a first read. It gets pretty good later on, Bakker's handling of sex aside.

Cardiac posted:

If you can manage GoTM or LoTR, it is not worse than that. Actually less characters than Malazan and fewer storylines.

No, it is not even the sense or lack thereof, or the number of characters or whatnot. It is literally the names themselves with their multiple apostrophes, etc... And, yes, I know, this is a Malazan thread and it seems like that should be a trivial complaint, but I never had anywhere near the issue with Malazan names as I did with the ones I encountered early on in Prince. I can't really explain it. Like I said, I should probably give it another shot.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 9, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Habibi posted:

Heh, I just passed that part on my audiobook reread (the fourth or fifth?) and had wondered the same thing, but I couldn't recall it ever coming up again.
Oh goddamnit, I know he shows up but can't for the life of me remember where. He helps or heals one of the good guys, maybe Kalam when they're assassinating Forkrul Assail in TCG. Or maybe Paran or Toc. Basically he comes, does his thing and the character remarks on a wolf spirit or something similar inside the fellow. Maybe eyes.
So infuriating I can't remember.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 9, 2015

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Habibi posted:

No, it is not even the sense or lack thereof, or the number of characters or whatnot. It is literally the names themselves with their multiple apostrophes, etc... And, yes, I know, this is a Malazan thread and it seems like that should be a trivial complaint, but I never had anywhere near the issue with Malazan names as I did with the ones I encountered early on in Prince. I can't really explain it. Like I said, I should probably give it another shot.
If you think of them as crazy middle eastern names it makes things a little easier. Like Malazan, eventually you'll see the same nation or general or whatever mentioned enough times that it'll just start to click.

With that said the first PoN book takes some effort to get into, and like Malazan you have to start off just rolling with it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Bakker's worst linguistic fault is that his names don't map clearly to cultures. A linguist in the SF/F thread did a good critique.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I really enjoy Bakker's world building and magic system but am completely enraged by his POV characters. The early chapter from Kellhus' point of view was great reading, Cnaiur was kind of interesting, every other character (especially Achamian) made the books a chore to read because they were so loving intolerable.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really? I found myself hating everyone except Achamian. He was onestly the only character I could sympathise with.

SansPants
Mar 31, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Oh goddamnit, I know he shows up but can't for the life of me remember where. He helps or heals one of the good guys, maybe Kalam when they're assassinating Forkrul Assail in TCG. Or maybe Paran or Toc. Basically he comes, does his thing and the character remarks on a wolf spirit or something similar inside I the fellow. Maybe eyes.
So infuriating I can't remember.

That's right. TCG spoiler It shows up in the body of an en'karal and heals Kalam after he assassinates the Forkrul Assail in the Perish camp.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've got up to halfway through Gardens of the Moon. I'm liking it well enough but I don't have a clue what's going on. I can't even tell if the characters I like are the characters I'm supposed to like. How long do I have read for this to all start making sense? :psyduck:

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Rarity posted:

I've got up to halfway through Gardens of the Moon. I'm liking it well enough but I don't have a clue what's going on. I can't even tell if the characters I like are the characters I'm supposed to like. How long do I have read for this to all start making sense? :psyduck:

you can like any character you want, it's not top down enforced

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
At the end of the series, the last four pages are just a list of officially sanctioned likable characters, and it's just TOOL TOOL TOOL TOOL BLEND on repeat

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rarity posted:

Erikson isn't Gene Wolfe; he writes like a pulp mystery author. Every time he leaves some dangling hook, some character with an unknown identity or a whispered secret the audience isn't allowed to hear, there'll be a scene down the road where you find out exactly what it was. There are a handful of mysteries that persist from book to book but for the most part he hates cliffhangers (by his own admission) and avoids that kind of thing.

You can like any character you want except Kruppe, who's basically Iskaral Pusk except without any of the redeeming qualities.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gourd of Taste posted:

At the end of the series, the last four pages are just a list of officially sanctioned likable characters, and it's just TOOL TOOL TOOL TOOL BLEND on repeat

But who do I root for if they don't come with Good Guy/Bad Guy labels? :derp:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

But who do I root for if they don't come with Good Guy/Bad Guy labels? :derp:
Almost everyone. Literally. There's a character who comes up as a complete jerk in Book 3 and most people emathise with him in Book 8, without him going through any character change. It's all about the point of view.
edit: VVV Me too! The point is, a lot of people who originally hated him stopped there - without there being any different about him, except he got a chance to explain himself a bit.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 11, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I always liked that character. gently caress yeah that character rocks.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Spite and Envy are pretty unlikeable, especially if you make it to Forge of Darkness. Don't root for them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yet they both make pretty good first impressions.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

They're both pretty hilarious, honestly, and I'll always have a soft spot for (TtH) Spite visiting Envy in Darujistan and just getting so stupidly mad when she sees her house that she drops a loving meteor on it before they even talk.

They're hilarious in FoD, too, but in more of a "Jesus, gently caress :stare:" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

SansPants posted:

That's right. TCG spoiler It shows up in the body of an en'karal and heals Kalam after he assassinates the Forkrul Assail in the Perish camp.

I honestly think giant enkaral-brained toblakai guy was completely forgotten about by Erikson, just like Lorn's otataral sword Paran is holding during Memories of Ice.

Also SE's wife is a lovely lady who is terrified of nerds and I apparently got drunk and really annoyed SE to the point he actively thinks I'm a huge rear end in a top hat during the house party I met him and his wife at about eight-nine years ago, at least he's only the second richest person I've personally pissed off and if Tim Burton hasn't had me assassinated yet he probably won't either

(TTH spoiler) That was when I asked him if we'd see any other Hounds, like of Light, and he told me they specifically didn't exist well before TTH came out, so I wouldn't trust all his out-of-book statements.