Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
https://twitter.com/CarcinogenSDA/status/554318281495281665

Seems like no speedrunning during bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

RUBBISH.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What a crybaby

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Yeah, how would he not think to ask ahead of time?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

androo posted:

Yeah, how would he not think to ask ahead of time?

He wouldn't even have had to ask. They've been clear that the bonus stream wasn't just gonna be a speedrun free for all anymore for awhile, and while it's understandable that random viewers wouldn't know that, he as a member of the community should've been aware of that before the event ever started.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I thought matty or someone else said this weeks ago.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

And for folks who want the runs chopped up individually, this playlist seems most complete (maybe entirely complete?): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-oCuyGCQNJ4WuknwulXjwTVPFY8m8K6t

All these videos have the sound off by like five seconds for me, anyone else getting that? Was trying to catch the first half of awful block and it's unwatchable.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Kind of sucks that the bonus stream has a schedule now, too. Part of the appeal was that it was a laid back free for all where people could just do whatever. Like I understand where they would want people out of there by a certain time, but that doesn't mean everything has to be preplanned.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Sir Tonk posted:

All these videos have the sound off by like five seconds for me, anyone else getting that? Was trying to catch the first half of awful block and it's unwatchable.

I didn't notice anything like that. Still, if that's giving you issues, there are other Youtube channels you could try, like GDQArchive (which is not the official GDQ channel, by the way).

Edit: Or try this list: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_NsA72Bgro96PNeBjK7G07qQ1PtCTrVe

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 11, 2015

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hcreight posted:

Kind of sucks that the bonus stream has a schedule now, too. Part of the appeal was that it was a laid back free for all where people could just do whatever. Like I understand where they would want people out of there by a certain time, but that doesn't mean everything has to be preplanned.

unfortunately it does need to be planned b/c otherwise people can start getting argumentative or lovely about it

like, last sgdq weren't there runners who ignored the sorta informal 'dibs' calender and just started setting up whenever they felt like it

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmewT1Wq-BxHK0OoOhmoHGQ

This channel has worked fine for me, although I think some runs are missing (werster's Pokemon Red?)

VV: Odd. And disappointing, I was looking forward to that run. Should still be on twitch VODs right?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 11, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

According to both playlists I linked, Werster requested his run be removed from the lists. I don't get it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

According to both playlists I linked, Werster requested his run be removed from the lists. I don't get it.

What run did he do?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

unfortunately it does need to be planned b/c otherwise people can start getting argumentative or lovely about it

like, last sgdq weren't there runners who ignored the sorta informal 'dibs' calender and just started setting up whenever they felt like it

Yeah, the reason why the "bonus stream" is scheduled and speedrun-free now is because people were butting in and being lovely about getting their runs on stream somehow.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So breaking down what from my long distance viewing perspective went right and wrong this year:

The hosting was a lot better this time around. Last year (or maybe it was SGDQ) the pendulum swung from way too much to way too little but this time it seemed to be a good balance, especially after the first day rush. A few of the runners probably needed to be reminded that they had to let the host get a word in edgewise and some of the hosts probably needed to mention the upcoming bid wars a bit more, but the fact that there could be a bit of give both ways says that this was really well handled.

Once things were streaming it looked really good. The layout was solid, putting visual reminders on screen of what was happening was good. The donation tracker total onscreen (even if inaccurate) was good. What I'm saying is that the visual presentation was good. It doesn't need to remain in exactly this format next time, but there's a real foundation to build on going forward. The only thing I'd suggest is throwing up some bid war trackers in the text rotation.

There was virtually no camera facing personality problems this time. There's a couple of exceptions, but that's going to happen in a nearly 200 hour continuous event. I'm not sure if there were firm rules on the first day or two that led to some really stiff couch experiences, but people seemed to use some common sense once things got going and it was back to generally peppy show. The only real disappoint there is that someone in a costume totally should have been allowed to sneak up on the guy running Sneak King and hand him a burger right when he called time.

Well, now the needs improvement stuff:

The scheduling is really showing signs of strain. Hitting the big picture before the nitty-gritty, when a concept goes south it drags down everything around it. The F-Zero block is a good example of this. I'd hesitate scheduling more than three hours of thematically similar games together just so variety gets in. Take my beloved Awful Games block, obviously it's the best part of the marathon but there's some weirdos out there who don't like seeing horrible games broken hard. Now I wouldn't necessarily recommend structuring the schedule around the eight or nine weirdos like that, but the point is that keeping things varied gives them a reason to stick around. "I'll sit through the remaining half hour of this because something I like is coming up."

Now for the scary suggestion that would make every single person involved freak out: there needs to be flexible scheduling. Getting behind like the marathon did this time pushed big donation drivers out of prime viewing hours. What I'd recommend is that you have a certain number of "on the bubble" runs that can be cut to recover time. Make the possible to cut runs short ones of about a half hour in length every six hours and then lock the schedule for the next twelve hours. That way you can look down the line and inform the runner that they had to be cut well in advance. drat straight that's going to piss people off and generate cries of how unfair it is, but flexibility will help.

The set up issues can be ameliorated by having two different playing couches. Play a block of games on one while the other is set up for the next run. One side could have the system set up for races to help cut down on the hardware needed. Between the two stations you'd have the donation guys and host along with a system handing the streaming and picking the signal from which of the two capture boxes to use. A bit more complicated in the basic set up and requiring more capture hardware, but it would give you a lot more breathing room.

Whatever the result is, there needs to be a plan for dead air. The set up issues this time meant that there was a lot of standing around and not doing anything while UraniumAnchor figured it out. You can only hit the donations and sponsors so many times so take a cue from professional sports announcing and talk up the run that's about to start or what programming is upcoming. Talk about the game, talk with the guy who just finished the run. It basically comes down to talk to someone.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I think he said something to the effect of "I don't like other people getting views from something I did on AGDQ", which is fine, I guess.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dias posted:

I think he said something to the effect of "I don't like other people getting views from something I did on AGDQ", which is fine, I guess.

That's fair. Presuming it means that it will be up on the official AGDQ channels when that happens then?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

https://twitter.com/wersterlobe/status/553901446039891968
https://twitter.com/wersterlobe/status/553900603383242752

They also submitted their copy to Kotaku and got all the hits from that too. When you make your living off the twitchbux you tend to get a bit possessive.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 11, 2015

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

So if there are no speedruns, what on earth are they having?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cerebulon posted:

Fun. :v:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cerebulon posted:

quote:

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com...h_at_3pm_edt_36

I want bonus stream to be a (loosely) scheduled stream with about 24 hours of non-speedrunning content. This can include side tournament finals such as Fighting Masters and Melee. It can also include games such as Mario Party or other party games, possibly a blind playthrough of something that's really bad but funny to see people suffer through (like Toki), and possibly even a Q&A session.

The purpose of setting up bonus stream this way is to make it more casual and fun like it was back in the day, and to solve how unsustainable it is.

I know some people will be mad about this change, because a lot of people have the mentality of, "well I didn't get my game in the main marathon, but I can get it in bonus stream," but as I said before, that's not what bonus stream was about, or should be about. Bonus stream back in the past was just a way to stream and relax after we were done with a marathon.

Also, the way bonus stream is handled now doesn't work. It barely worked at AGDQ because Hannah spent time organizing it (and frankly she should have rested instead), and it didn't work at SGDQ because no one on staff cared. If we continue the path of letting people speedrun games with no real schedule, it'll just create more conflict and arguments about who gets to run in such a small amount of time.

By the way, if people are wondering why only a 24 hour period, it's because the teardown this SGDQ was very nice and relaxed since I had a full day and lots of good help thanks to people such as yeti and vanish mantle. It was much better than the AGDQ teardown.

Now if this new bonus stream doesn't work, then I'll just nuke bonus stream because it's not worth having bonus stream if no one is having any fun.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

That's a shame.

Why can't we have nice things? :(

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Whatever the result is, there needs to be a plan for dead air. The set up issues this time meant that there was a lot of standing around and not doing anything while UraniumAnchor figured it out. You can only hit the donations and sponsors so many times so take a cue from professional sports announcing and talk up the run that's about to start or what programming is upcoming. Talk about the game, talk with the guy who just finished the run. It basically comes down to talk to someone.

At least one other person has been suggesting someone should have a roving camera to look at the audience or the player's hands or whatever else is interesting at the time. Maybe that person should be empowered to conduct interviews as well?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hcreight posted:

That's a shame.

Why can't we have nice things? :(

It's fine, the best parts of bonus stream were always the dumb party games.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Cerebulon posted:

A smash tournament, because they don't know what's good for them.

They should obviously be playing Street Fighter or Guilty Gear to improve their frame timing.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

qntm posted:

At least one other person has been suggesting someone should have a roving camera to look at the audience or the player's hands or whatever else is interesting at the time. Maybe that person should be empowered to conduct interviews as well?
A lot of people keep asking for solutions that require more people when they're already shorthanded. I don't know why they are still shorthanded these days with so many people interested in helping, but any proposal that requires more manpower gets shot down fairly quickly. Maybe that will change in the future.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

qntm posted:

This would cause a 1000% increase in cringeworthy content. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CrashCat posted:

A lot of people keep asking for solutions that require more people when they're already shorthanded. I don't know why they are still shorthanded these days with so many people interested in helping, but any proposal that requires more manpower gets shot down fairly quickly. Maybe that will change in the future.

As someone who runs gaming events (not near this size obviously) sometimes, people that want to help tend to also be those who are terrible at helping and can actually make things worse, no matter how good their intentions are.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

We have bonus sign :toot:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Dias posted:

So long as some of that is still going on, I'm cool.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Between runs, replay a short run from the previous days, something that got a graveyard-shift and isn't much longer than 15min. I don't know how practical this suggestion would be, but...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dias posted:

Between runs, replay a short run from the previous days, something that got a graveyard-shift and isn't much longer than 15min. I don't know how practical this suggestion would be, but...

StarCityGames does something like that for their Magic events. They stream previous matches from that tournament, or highlights from other events, but the matches are 'broken' so you might catch half of game 1 between two rounds, and the other half in the next break. Not sure how feasible that would be for speedruns.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

How do these people still have their avatars from 2004?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can't remember if it was on this thread or somewhere else, but I've heard the suggestion for having a Stream B type thing like ESA had last summer. That would kind of alleviate the whole "wahhh my game didn't get picked issue that was clogging up the bonus stream" and give people an alternative to 8 hours of F-Zero.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Hell they could trivially find TASes to run to fit any gap really.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dias posted:

That frog golf or whatever was torture

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Harlock posted:

Frolf owns.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Harlock posted:

Frog golf means frolf.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
They should really do a blind speedrun of Frog Fractions, speaking of frog games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

• Locked thread