Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also the nonces in the Catholic church

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

As an atheist I'd like to apologise for Josef Stalin, Pol Pot and Dick Dorkins.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As a human being I'd like to apologize in general, we're pretty awful.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
As an Earthling I don't see any need to apologise because the only people we're shits to are each other.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kegluneq posted:

As an atheist I'd like to apologise for Josef Stalin, Pol Pot and Dick Dorkins.

The other two I can forgive but gently caress you and gently caress me and gently caress all other atheists for Dick "Please stop calling me Dick Dorkins" Dorkins.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
As a representative of the fine country of Wales I would personally like to apologize for Tom Jones, and by proxy The Voice.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
A slightly weird thing happened today. I was in my kitchen using noisy stuff then heard someone shouting 'hallooo' in the hall, went out and there were two plainclothes policemen halfway up my stairs (I wouldn't have heard if they'd knocked because of the noisy kitchen stuff so presumably they did knock then just walked in). They came up and said they were just wondering about what was happening in the flat downstairs. I said nothing that I knew of, they asked some random questions about whether I'd seen the guy downstairs then said that it wasn't actually anything to do with the guy downstairs and someone had phoned them up because they had seen a strange person in the village that they didn't know and he looked like he might be dodgy.

Do police actually go and look for random dodgy looking people? That seems ridiculous. My husband probably looks dodgy (think a cross between captain jack sparrow and a tramp) and my son grew the most ridiculous beard when he was away at uni so may have frightened the locals when he was home for christmas, but looking dodgy isn't a crime as far as I know. Or maybe they were just lying and were here for something else completely. It was weird though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They were scoping your place out. Expect an armed raid later on.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
This is the second time in the last few months that the police have just walked into my home. It's my own fault for not locking the door but it's funny that as a relatively law abiding person I'm going to have to start locking the door to keep the police out.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Back in the day you could leave your door unlocked with undesirables walking in

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

This is the second time in the last few months that the police have just walked into my home. It's my own fault for not locking the door but it's funny that as a relatively law abiding person I'm going to have to start locking the door to keep the police out.

It's not your fault.
And next time you might like to politely remind the police that in normal circumstances they have no more right to just walk in uninvited than anyone else.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Well I just called them and yes it turns out they do just come out and go door to door if someone calls them and says there's a dodgy looking person in the village. I'd not said to them when they were round that my son had been home for christmas because it just hadn't occurred to me that he could be who they were talking about until later. They didn't know it was my son (they seemed to think it was someone living downstairs) so the walking into my house was still unwarranted and I am beyond incensed that someone actually called the police because there was an unshaven youth standing near the post office. I asked the police whether he'd been doing anything dodgy but no, it was just being not recognised as a local and being 'unshaven'. I mean, it was a remarkably stupid beard but still. And he left to go back to uni a week ago so if he was a badun the police obviously weren't that bothered.

Rant over, sorry.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Ddraig posted:

As a representative of the fine country of Wales I would personally like to apologize for Tom Jones, and by proxy The Voice.

Thank you for Nye Bevan though! :)

Wait, are large groups of people equally responsible for the good ones too?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stottie Kyek posted:

Thank you for Nye Bevan though! :)

Wait, are large groups of people equally responsible for the good ones too?

The bad ones are bad because. The good ones are good despite. Remember your Marxist social theory, comrade.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Anybody want a 100% (i.e. no deposit required) interest-only BTL mortgage? No income or repayment plan necessary, but mummy and daddy must have a decent chunk of cash or equity in their home:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jan/10/mortgage-students-buy-own-homes

quote:

He’s in his third year at university, studying hard ahead of his final exams this year – but, unlike other students, Jonathan Pearson will graduate with a profit, not a student debt. He is not from a wealthy background but stands to make at least £30,000 after buying a home, rather than renting while at college.

Most other homebuyers struggle for years to find the necessary deposit, with Halifax reporting this week that the average age of a first-timer has now topped 30. But Pearson did not even have to put down a deposit, managing to obtain a 100% loan from a reputable building society.

At the age of 20 he was granted a £183,000 mortgage by Bath building society to buy a three-bed home in Chelmsford, Essex, where he has been studying architecture and technology at Anglia Ruskin University. He turned the lounge into a bedroom for his own use, and rented the three bedrooms to other students at his college.

The cost to Pearson of servicing the mortgage has been just £775 a month, far less than the £1,320 he manages to collect in rent. To be on the safe side, he budgets for costs of £1,100 a month to cover utilities and insurance, but has still enjoyed a month-on-month profit of around £200 – while living rent-free.

Even if there had been no rise in property prices, Pearson would have been in profit. But over the past two years, prices in Chelmsford, a commuter town a 40-minute train ride from London, have risen significantly. “It’s worth about £220,000 now – if not a bit more,” he says, which suggests a paper profit of around £37,000.

So how does a 20-year-old with no obvious means bag a 100%, £183,000 mortgage, to be repaid on an interest-only basis, when almost every other young buyer has to put down a deposit and make repayments that would cost around £1,075 a month rather than £775 once capital repayment is added on top of the interest?

Pearson does not pretend to be a financial whizz-kid. “To be honest, my mother had been dealing with a financial adviser, who told her about this scheme when he knew I was going through university. They met up, talked it through and basically what was needed was that my mother had at least £40,000 in equity in her home to be able to act as a guarantor, and that I had to complete a full year at university. They helped me find the property as well, and we managed to get £7,000 lopped off the asking price of £190,000.”

But what about the other fees and costs for taking out a mortgage and buying a home – such as conveyancing costs? Pearson says these added up to just under £5,000, and that his mother helped him out again. So while you don’t necessarily have to come from a very well-off background, this loan won’t work if your parents are renting, if their own mortgage is very large or if they can’t help out on fees.

We have totally learned our lesson and have now taken to lending responsibly. :downs:

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 11, 2015

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Apparently the government are looking at cutting unsocial hours payments in the NHS. Haven't heard any official announcement about it or seen anything in the news about it, but all my nursing friends have already started their facebook statuses

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

LemonDrizzle posted:

Anybody want a 100% (i.e. no deposit required) interest-only BTL mortgage? No income or repayment plan necessary, but mummy and daddy must have a decent chunk of cash or equity in their home:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jan/10/mortgage-students-buy-own-homes

We have totally learned our lesson and have now taken to lending responsibly. :downs:

No no, you see, he is a hard-scrabbling entrepreneur, just the sort of chap we want in the New Britain.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Ddraig posted:

You should really apologise for Ian Watkins as well.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

StoneOfShame posted:

You should really apologise for Ian Watkins as well.

The other members of Steps share some of the blame too, don't blame it all on him.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

The other members of Steps share some of the blame too, don't blame it all on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RleE--HDBiU

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Jedit posted:

It maybe isn't right wing, and it's not quite on the level of shifting the tax brackets where the poor get nothing, but it does benefit the middle class while not doing as much as you think for the poor. People on Income Support already get prescriptions for free across the UK, so it's not a policy that helps them.

I wouldn't mind prescriptions being means tested with an exemption for people earning less than median wage and fees capped to a monthly limit of three charges. That would bring in a reasonable amount of money without taking penny one from anyone who can't afford it.

By this argument wouldn't a national minimum income a right-wing/regressive policy? If a service is only free for poor people the it is always in danger of getting cut while if everyone uses it including the wealthy then it will be held to a better standard.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

return0 posted:

By this argument wouldn't a national minimum income a right-wing/regressive policy? If a service is only free for poor people the it is always in danger of getting cut while if everyone uses it including the wealthy then it will be held to a better standard.

Don't wealthy people already use the nhs?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pissflaps posted:

Every now and again to feel British and patriotic, then they write angry letters to the Daily Mail about how the nurses only spoke Swahili and the waiting room smelled of curry and why are their tax pounds being used to pay for people who don't drink tea properly???

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Every now and again to feel British and patriotic, then they write angry letters to the Daily Mail about how the nurses only spoke Swahili and the waiting room smelled of curry and why are their tax pounds being used to pay for people who don't drink tea properly???

Your crack is shite.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It's spelled "craic".

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

It's spelled "craic".

It's 'crack'.

You're displaying a deep ignorance of the Teesside language.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Well I just called them and yes it turns out they do just come out and go door to door if someone calls them and says there's a dodgy looking person in the village. I'd not said to them when they were round that my son had been home for christmas because it just hadn't occurred to me that he could be who they were talking about until later. They didn't know it was my son (they seemed to think it was someone living downstairs) so the walking into my house was still unwarranted and I am beyond incensed that someone actually called the police because there was an unshaven youth standing near the post office. I asked the police whether he'd been doing anything dodgy but no, it was just being not recognised as a local and being 'unshaven'. I mean, it was a remarkably stupid beard but still. And he left to go back to uni a week ago so if he was a badun the police obviously weren't that bothered.

Rant over, sorry.
You live in Royston Vasey, don't you?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

It's spelled "craic".
Craic comes from the English word crack.

It wasn't even loving borrowed that long ago, mid 20th century at the earliest. So it's quite funny that shitloads of Irish and Scots apparently assume it's some millennia old Celtic tradition or some bullshit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone know what's happening with mixed-sex civil unions in the UK?

I remember reading that it got shut down in England and Wales by the Tories on the grounds of 'undermining marriage' or some poo poo, but that the SNP said they would actively investigate implementing it in Scotland during early 2014. I've not heard anything further on it since though.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

no they use BUPA and poo poo i guess

tooterfish posted:

It wasn't even loving borrowed that long ago, mid 20th century at the earliest. So it's quite funny that shitloads of Irish and Scots apparently assume it's some millennia old Celtic tradition or some bullshit.

ya

return0 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 11, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Proposal: Members of parliament (both houses) and senior government officials are required by law to only use the NHS for all medical work, and their hospital is randomly assigned.

Hypothesis: NHS funding gets tripled on the next budget.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Proposal: Members of parliament (both houses) and senior government officials are required by law to only use the NHS for all medical work, and their hospital is randomly assigned.

Hypothesis: NHS funding gets tripled on the next budget.

I think really you'd need to stop them owning shares in private healthcare companies.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Does anyone know what's happening with mixed-sex civil unions in the UK?

I remember reading that it got shut down in England and Wales by the Tories on the grounds of 'undermining marriage' or some poo poo, but that the SNP said they would actively investigate implementing it in Scotland during early 2014. I've not heard anything further on it since though.

You're pretty much right. The Tories don't want either humanist marriage or mixed-sex civil partnerships because Lynton says so. The Scottish government has the right to implement them through secondary legislation, but they're still working on it.

There's been no traction on people from other jurisdictions converting their civil partnerships to marriage, either, to the chagrin of some Northern Irish couples.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

tooterfish posted:

yeah p. unreasonable for peoples abused for millennia by the english to assume they nicked a word here and there

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

yeah p. unreasonable for peoples abused for millennia by the english to assume they nicked a word here and there

um "the english" have only existed for like 600 years. they were abused by the anglo-normans, the angles, saxons, and romans before that.
get your poo poo straight.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Don't forget the Vikings!!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
what was your favourite abuse of Scots? mine was when Hadrian built that sick loving wall to keep them out of our glorious Roman Empire. :smuggo:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

You're pretty much right. The Tories don't want either humanist marriage or mixed-sex civil partnerships because Lynton says so. The Scottish government has the right to implement them through secondary legislation, but they're still working on it.

There's been no traction on people from other jurisdictions converting their civil partnerships to marriage, either, to the chagrin of some Northern Irish couples.
I hope we can at least look forward to mixed-sex civil partnerships for non-residents being performed at Gretna Green.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

um "the english" have only existed for like 600 years. they were abused by the anglo-normans, the angles, saxons, and romans before that.
get your poo poo straight.
It wasn't entirely one way. For instance, there was a period between the collapse of the Roman occupation where Irish tribes took advantage of the lack of organised resistance to raid the western coast of Britain viking style (because "viking" is indeed a style, not a people. It literally means "man in a loving boat").

Then the Saxons arrived, and they were apparently so hard that according to respected historian Mister Adequate, they managed to brutally oppress the Irish backwards through time. They literally hit them so hard their grand-daddies felt it.

That's actually pretty badass.

Oberleutnant posted:

what was your favourite abuse of Scots?
Braveheart.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

what was your favourite abuse of Scots? mine was when Hadrian built that sick loving wall to keep them out of our glorious Roman Empire. :smuggo:

That was abuse of the Picts and Caledones, the Scots hadn't arrived yet.

Also, anyone who thinks that the Scots weren't pretty drat good at abusing themselves hasn't looked at much Scottish history.

tooterfish posted:

Braveheart.
Best answer.

• Locked thread