Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

simplefish posted:

BHX is good for crosswinds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9OAng32F0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayPuFYMKZL4

(I haven't watched these ones in particular, so I don't know if they're any good, but there seem to be quite a few of them for Birmingham.)

I always had it in my head that runways had to be completely flat so it blew my mind to see runways that dip and bump like Birmingham's. I mean I know it's exaggerated by looking at it head on but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That pilot - and his first officer - got a handshake on the way out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done this. I was on a flight into Dallas during a bad thunderstorm, we landed just ahead of it. The shear must have been brutal because we came in all kinds of sideways, and I heard some kind of metal grinding which I can only assume was the tail or some poo poo hitting the ground.

On the way out I shook the pilots hand and said "I heard that". He kind of chuckled and sheepishly said "....yeah", but the killer was his hands were as clammy as mine.

That's a bad sign.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

In spaaaace news: The Falcon 9 managed to hit it's floating landing platform. But hit it a BIT too hard and went crunch/boom. Possibly some sort of hydraulic issue on the fins as a main cause? I don't think anything is for sure yet though. Payload functioned fine though and will link up with ISS Monday.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

That's still pretty loving amazing, even if they weren't able to stick the landing and definitely a giant middle finger to what the ULA have been doing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah they said beforehand that it wasn't much of a sure thing. Hey at least they can sell it to the DoD.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

B4Ctom1 posted:

um, the wing loading from these stunts is terrifying me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSw7iGDpl4

I love the C-27J. It's like a mini-Hercules. :3:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fucknag posted:

It is exactly what it looks like. Crosswinds (any wind not directly head-on or from the rear) blow the plane off course, so the plane has to yaw in the opposite direction for the engine thrust to cancel it out and keep the plane on course. Then they have to kick the nose back towards the direction of travel at touchdown to prevent too much side load on the landing gear (which can handle some, but not much.)

This plane is traveling parallel to the runway centerline.

The image kind of needs a caption that says:

"So tell me again how the autopilot does most of my job for me."

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

MRC48B posted:

I love the C-27J. It's like a mini-Hercules. :3:

Is this the one they want to make the mini AC-130 replacement from?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

B4Ctom1 posted:

Is this the one they want to make the mini AC-130 replacement from?

Yeah, they're promoting this MC-27J thing with a removable gun module and have a mockup that they take to air shows.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 11, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Thanks, jerks, now I have to use incognito just to browse the forums:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

mlmp08 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201145440

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

some one has been pricing hotas for E:D

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

wkarma posted:

Nah, for Falcon BMS. ED should be flow with mouse/keyboard.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

mlmp08 posted:

Is there a plot reason for their to be F-106's on the cover of Clear and Present Danger? That is an odd choice, unless the cover design was done by "GIS miltary jet"

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Slo-Tek posted:

Is there a plot reason for their to be F-106's on the cover of Clear and Present Danger? That is an odd choice, unless the cover design was done by "GIS miltary jet"

lol no. They shot down drug running aircraft with fighters, but those were F-15s. And then there was the A-6 that dropped the bomb on the big meeting of drug lords, but other than those two that was about it for aviation stuff other than the helicopters.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Slo-Tek posted:

The people who design book covers are notorious for not giving a poo poo about what the book actually contains.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hunterhr posted:

The people who design book covers are notorious for not giving a poo poo about what the book actually contains.

My dad used to design book covers, he was overjoyed if he had a short blurb of the content before he designed it.

Most time it was "it's a story about a family in the 1800's; the mom's the hero."

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
In that case, I can see how someone might just say "Just put some loving jets on it" if they didn't get a description.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wkarma posted:

What's E:D?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Elite: Dangerous

The F-106 was retired (except from NASA) before that book was even written.

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

[insert clever comment here]
So I took my dad to the Cosford Air Museum a while back. He's a retired RAF Officer, so it was a nostalgia trip for him. Here are a few pictures of the more interesting exhibits. A great day out, as has been recommended previously:

Yellow Sun, our first operational nuke :britain:

A Victor bomber, a beautiful aircraft

English Electric Lightning

Chevaline nuclear warhead, interesting diagram showing the decoys, main bus etc. My old man was surprised this was declassified:

Tracked Rapier, apparently pretty lethal if you're in its kill zone

I've got a few more, if anyone's interested?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yes more please! British Cold War equipment is a favorite of mine.

I love the Victor so drat much, it's so alien looking.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The car behind the tracked rapier - I must know what and why

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

simplefish posted:

It was used by RAF Regiment (organic infantry and air defence division of the RAF) personnel to drive into East Germany during the Cold War for reconnaissance, e.g. testing reaction times, finding SAM and GLCM sites. Basically, tear around off-road in East Germany dodging East Germans and taking photos of stuff.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Fun fact about Yellow Sun:

The reason it has a square nose was to offer air resistance so the aircraft dropping it had the *chance* to get away. We just put parachutes on ours and kind of hoped it wasn't windy. Also, Blue Danube was your first operational nuke, while Yellow Sun was your first operational *thermonuke*. Blue Danube kind of looks like it was enthusiastically overengineered by a guy who used to work at a British car factory:

"No, dammit! The end must be *pointy* and it must be aerodynamic! Paint it hunter green and *polish* it to a mirror shine...if we're going to end the bloody world we're going to do it with a *handsome* bomb, not like the Laurel and Hardy setup the Yanks used. If it won't fit, you just tell those atomic boffins to make their gadget smaller."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 12, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

simplefish posted:

I'm interested too. Looks like a Holden VK Commodore, AKA an Opel Senator/Vauxhall Royale. Why is one of those there?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Rapier anti aircraft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHGvDZOPZkk

Rapier anti submarine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC7gilxJD-w

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

Bloodhound missile, long range SAM for taking down TU-16s and later upgraded for TU-22s. The RAF air defence strategy during the 1980s was as follows:

1. F-3 Tornado was first interceptor, out over the North Sea

2. Bloodhound engaged in air corridor after the F-3s

3. Then Harriers

4. Last aircraft defence was BAE trainer Hawks fitted with Sidewinders.

5. Point defence for air bases/ high value sites was Rapier and Bofors guns

Interesting fact, all the bases I grew up on in Norfolk still had bomb damage from WWII.

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

Fo3 posted:

I'm interested too. Looks like a Holden VK Commodore, AKA an Opel Senator/Vauxhall Royale. Why is one of those there?

It's a Vauxhall (Opel) Senator with upgraded suspension, engine and fitted with radios. Also weirdly it has curtains for all the windows for privacy. Apparently you could be in one for days and having to poo poo required a little privacy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm looking to go to Pensacola to see the the naval aviation museum later this year. Anything I should absolutely not pass up that I might casually miss or surrounding attractions worthwhile? I'll be there either in spring or summer for maybe 4 to 7 days. Not TDY, just vacation.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

genericuser posted:

It was used by RAF Regiment (organic infantry and air defence division of the RAF) personnel to drive into East Germany during the Cold War for reconnaissance, e.g. testing reaction times, finding SAM and GLCM sites. Basically, tear around off-road in East Germany dodging East Germans and taking photos of stuff.

Might have been RAF Regiment people who were part of it, but the organisation responsible for those shenanigans was BRIXMIS - part of the larger four power 'Allied Military Liaison Missions' system set up just after the war IIRC.

e: VVV strike bomber, rather :)

Koesj fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 11, 2015

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

Last one the TSR-2, the ultimate in :britain:. This was the final time we tried to build a fighter without an international consortium. The Brit equivalent of the Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow

All the rest of the pics are nothing unusual. However, the whole museum in excellently done. Comparable to the American hanger in Duxford, which is also awesome. I spent lots of years in my youth on USAF bases in Europe so have a special place in my heart for the F-15, F-111 etc

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

Koesj posted:

Might have been RAF Regiment people who were part of it, but the organisation responsible for those shenanigans was BRIXMIS - part of the larger four power 'Allied Military Liaison Missions' system set up just after the war IIRC.

e: VVV strike bomber, rather :)

I love this thread, I always wanted to know more about this but never knew the name of the mission:

quote:

'BRIXMIS was also noted for many technical intelligence coups,[15] including:

'Secretly bringing a Yak-28 Firebar's Skip Spin radar and jet engines back to Farnborough for inspection after it crashed into the embankment of lake "Stössensee" on the river Havel enlargements [Berlin]
Measuring the calibre of the gun of the then brand-new BMP-2 Armoured personnel carrier
Stealing "reactive armour" from a Russian tank, for analysis.'

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Look up Harvey Black's 'Effect' series on Kindle for your Cold War gone hot behind enemy lines-fix then. The dude's ex-BRIXMIS and wrote a not altogether poo poo trilogy in the vein of Red Storm Rising etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

genericuser posted:

All the rest of the pics are nothing unusual. However, the whole museum in excellently done. Comparable to the American hanger in Duxford, which is also awesome. I spent lots of years in my youth on USAF bases in Europe so have a special place in my heart for the F-15, F-111 etc

When I was a kid I lived on RAF Woodbridge. Every few years I recognize another base getting closed. Woodbridge and Bentwaters are gone, Chicksands, now Mildenhall and Alconbury are on the list. Also Molesworth, but I don't remember that one. :(

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

mlmp08 posted:

I'm looking to go to Pensacola to see the the naval aviation museum later this year. Anything I should absolutely not pass up that I might casually miss or surrounding attractions worthwhile? I'll be there either in spring or summer for maybe 4 to 7 days. Not TDY, just vacation.

The food is horrible microwaved Sysco, but you still want to eat at the museum cafe, as it is the old Cubi Point O-Club boxed up and rebuilt on site after they closed up operations in the Philippines.

Sometimes, if you ask nice, and are willing to wait a day or two, you can get a tour of the restoration facility, which is great. Though if you are pressed for time, or if they say "nah, we don't do that anymore" you can still look in the hangars and see what is going on during the trolley tour of the backlot that they run a couple times a day, you'll want to get your name on the list as you walk in the door for that as well, as it does fill up.

Otherwise, Pensacola has some of the nicest beaches in the world, so you'll want to spend some time with your feet in the sugar-white sand. The Gulf Shores Zoo is cute, and sometimes they are fostering 5-10 week old baby tigers and you can cuddle them in a semi-private setting. Costs like 75$ for a half hour, but worth doing once, I thought.

Climbing around all the old coastal fortifications is fun as well. Depending on how much time you have, you might also roll down to Battleship Park in Mobile, though they look to have fallen on relatively hard times, it is still pretty cool.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 12, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slo-Tek posted:

The food is horrible microwaved Sysco, but you still want to eat at the museum cafe, as it is the old Cubi Point O-Club boxed up and rebuilt on site after they closed up operations in the Philippines.

Sometimes, if you ask nice, and are willing to wait a day or two, you can get a tour of the restoration facility, which is great. Though if you are pressed for time, or if they say "nah, we don't do that anymore" you can still look in the hangars and see what is going on during the trolley tour of the backlot that they run a couple times a day, you'll want to get your name on the list as you walk in the door for that as well, as it does fill up.

Otherwise, Pensacola has some of the nicest beaches in the world, so you'll want to spend some time with your feet in the sugar-white sand. The Gulf Shores Zoo is cute, and sometimes they are fostering 5-10 week old baby tigers and you can cuddle them in a semi-private setting. Costs like 75$ for a half hour, but worth doing once, I thought.

Climbing around all the old coastal fortifications is fun as well. Depending on how much time you have, you might also roll down to Battleship Park in Mobile, though they look to have fallen on relatively hard times, it is still pretty cool.

Awesome, thank you! I once hung out with a bear cub that was in a refuge for bears that got too familiar with humans once, and it owned, even though she scratched the hell out of me while trying to investigate what was inside my shirt. Spoiler alert: my torso was in there!

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I forgot to quote and reply to the people who answered my question, I just wanted to say thanks for the replies y'all gave me! :)
During the korean war, how close were the americans to actually using nuclear bombs? And are there any good movies&books about the korean war? Only movie I've ever seen about the korean war is Tae Guk Gi - Brotherhood of war, which I thought was a good movie although I don't know how accurate it is.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Greggster posted:

I forgot to quote and reply to the people who answered my question, I just wanted to say thanks for the replies y'all gave me! :)
During the korean war, how close were the americans to actually using nuclear bombs? And are there any good movies&books about the korean war? Only movie I've ever seen about the korean war is Tae Guk Gi - Brotherhood of war, which I thought was a good movie although I don't know how accurate it is.

Think this is the one I watched (I was linked from the thread):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIobfyaiAUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

genericuser posted:

Fun fact: the last American to die as part of the Cold War was doing this. He, Major Nick Nicholson, and a couple others were attempting to photograph a T-80 (then brand new) training base when they got spotted and subsequently shot. It's actually kinda Metal Gear Solid sneaking mission stuff.

Greggster posted:

General McArthur favored using up to nine nuclear bombs to blow a path through China, intent on rolling up Communism in east Asia. (Curiously, the American nuclear stockpile at the time was at least 55 warheads. The actual size of the nuclear arsenal was such a closely held secret that it's unlikely he knew he was only planning on using a small part of it) That said, I don't think he ever seriously considered using them in Korea proper.