Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

What's the reasoning behind merchant republics not being able to usurp kingdom-level titles? It's a big pain having to completely dismantle a kingdom just to swipe the crown so you can lower the number of direct vassals you have.

Also, what's the balance reason for boats costing so much upkeep-wise? Playing as Ireland I have to use boats to get my retinue places in a timely manner (or onto the continent) and calling up my own boats ends up dropping my income to -30. I know you can call up vassals' boats and not pay the upkeep, but then you have to go through the extra steps of lumping the disparate fleets together. Would having a perma-fleet really break the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, this.

Does anybody else suffer from always wanting to preserve important dynasties? For example, when I'm playing as the Norse in the Old Gods bookmark, I always makes sure to preserve the lines of all of Ragnar's sons, plus Rurik's house. When I play Muslims I always want to ensure the survival of the sayyid dynasties, and so on.

No, but if I have a cool guy in my court, I'll try to find them a bride. I'll even find a barony for a guy if he's cool enough and lowborn.

EDIT
Who am I kidding. I've given duchies away to cool enough lowborns.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Or a leveled up mansion I found out. I played more last night and yeah, the AI is just dumb as gently caress when building tech I guess. I was the first to get a trade port simply through mansion leveling and having lots of sons. Now if only they'd stop trying to off each other, maybe I could actually win the election and get Venice out of the clutches of doddery old men who apparently have no idea how to run a country. We're still at Trade Practices 0 after nearly 100 years of play.

Yeah merchant republics start out super slow as the AI slowly gets its poo poo together and saves up enough money to buy trade posts/upgrades. I created a merchant republic vassal in my 867-start game and it took them like 30 years to finally build a trade post. And Trade Practices II was even already in their province when they started. To be fair, once they get rolling they're kind of ridiculous and are providing me with like 8 times as much tax income as any other vassal.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, Ive been out for a while, did they fix the AI levies bug yet?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
There is only one dynasty worth preserving: the noble House Asperger, the rightful barons of Aspberg.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, Ive been out for a while, did they fix the AI levies bug yet?

No. They've announced it's fixed and the fix will come with the next patch, but haven't made a peep about when the next patch is coming.

I like to think they're vindictively delaying the patch just to piss off everyone that's been ritualistically screaming at them about it over on the paradox forums.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

No. They've announced it's fixed and the fix will come with the next patch, but haven't made a peep about when the next patch is coming.

I like to think they're vindictively delaying the patch just to piss off everyone that's been ritualistically screaming at them about it over on the paradox forums.

I think the current CK2 lead said the patch would be released this coming week, but I don't have a link offhand.

edit: oh, okay, they walked that back and said "we have a possible fix that we'll be testing next week and will release ASAP after that" - if "testing" involves a beta patch that's one thing, but if not I guess we'll be waiting a week or more.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 11, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh paradox.

Good thing I have other games to play in the meantime, but I still barely got to try WoL before I found about the bug and gave up my game :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

There is only one dynasty worth preserving: the noble House Asperger, the rightful barons of Aspberg.

Didn't Paradox give the 1066 ruler a neckbeard and static anti-social traits? I could be misremembering.

Ofaloaf posted:

It's useful to have family trees and obscure dudes figured out, because they can still play big roles in the game.

I remember in vanilla CK2 some Russian duke would sometimes press his wife's claim on the Byzantine Empire, it was glorious! Edward Aetheling reclaiming his rightful place on the throne of England is also nice to see from time to time.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

Use this one. It's a link to the Github version, which is the being-worked-on dev version.

Really been enjoying AtE, it's a fun mod to build an empire then switch to the other end of the map in, and little moments like this keep cropping up- I'm the King of Comancheria, and my efforts to Holy War for chunks of The Lone Star are currently being thwarted by the Rio Kingdoms:

...who have just the best goddamned dynasty name for the narrative here:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

What sort of character traits should they have?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

cynic, proud, envious, weak, stutter

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Spakstik posted:

Also, what's the balance reason for boats costing so much upkeep-wise? Playing as Ireland I have to use boats to get my retinue places in a timely manner (or onto the continent) and calling up my own boats ends up dropping my income to -30. I know you can call up vassals' boats and not pay the upkeep, but then you have to go through the extra steps of lumping the disparate fleets together. Would having a perma-fleet really break the game?

Just lump your vassals boats together, and then never relieve them. That's what I do. You get a vassal relations penalty for using their levies, but it resets every now and again, and I've never had any issues with it. The only time I disband my vassal fleet levies is when I could raise more than I currently have raised, and then I immediately raise them again. I've gone probably 70-80 years with the same 351 boats in my Viking game. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You have to lump your own boats together anyway, the only difference is whether you pay for them in gold or opinion maluses.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Hey guys, been playing the game for a hundred hours and still can't figure this out: When I watch youtube clips, everyone has character menus pop up UNDER the left-hand menu, not in the middle of the screen, blocking all kinds of things. I have the latest patch, so I assume there's something I have to change in settings? It's super hard to manage vassals.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is it possible to press multiple claims at once? I'm the queen of Whales and England has 4 counties that belong to me but it's going to be pretty loving tedious to get each one of them separately...

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

You can press multiple fabricated claims in some certain circumstances but not de jure claims.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeron posted:

You can press multiple fabricated claims in some certain circumstances but not de jure claims.

Specifically, you can press multiple claims of your own. You can only press claims held by other characters one at a time.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

MildManeredManikin posted:

Is it possible to press multiple claims at once? I'm the queen of Whales and England has 4 counties that belong to me but it's going to be pretty loving tedious to get each one of them separately...

Yep, I too childishly changed the name of my Kingdom when I made it.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
It would be nice if de jure claims counted as personal claims so you could say "I am personally the Queen of Wales so get the gently caress out of Wales" but you can't so whelp

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TheBlackRoija posted:

It would be nice if de jure claims counted as personal claims so you could say "I am personally the Queen of Wales so get the gently caress out of Wales" but you can't so whelp

Yeah, I think de jure claims not being pressable all at once is bad design. It's just retarded on every level--"You hold two counties that everyone agrees rightfully belong to me, so I am going to declare war on you and slaughter your army and besiege your holdings, and then I'll take one of those two counties and I'll be back in ten years for the other," said no one ever.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man. Pagan holy wars now give nicknames at a prodigious rate. My last three emperors have all been "the Sword of Zun," and the one before that was "the Sword of the Sun."

Also I guess you can get it from stopping crusades and jihads and what have you, which feels a little silly. Even a white peace can give it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Coward posted:

Yep, I too childishly changed the name of my Kingdom when I made it.

:downsgun: god drat it

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, I think de jure claims not being pressable all at once is bad design. It's just retarded on every level--"You hold two counties that everyone agrees rightfully belong to me, so I am going to declare war on you and slaughter your army and besiege your holdings, and then I'll take one of those two counties and I'll be back in ten years for the other," said no one ever.

Or you break the truce and everyone is like whoa dude, that was pretty hosed up how you just conquered all your de jure stuff all right at once like that.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Or you break the truce and everyone is like whoa dude, that was pretty hosed up how you just conquered all your de jure stuff all right at once like that.
Can't even do that. It still takes two wars, even if you don't wait between them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's clearly a balance issue, otherwise we would see even more stable mega-blobs all the time. Do you want that?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Yeah, I'm not seriously complaining about it. It's a little silly, but I can certainly see why it's there.

I do think you ought to be able to press multiple de-jure barony claims, though, particularly against holy orders. Or god, I guess even worse is when you end up with the county capital, but all the baronies beneath it are a different realm. Four wars or so just to get total control of one county. That bit's annoying as hell.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

It's clearly a balance issue, otherwise we would see even more stable mega-blobs all the time. Do you want that?

It wouldn't have any impact on stability I don't think. It just makes it more grindy, which means the big fish spend more time fighting counties than fighting each other. There should definitely be a "I own all this, EVERYONE get the gently caress out" casus beli imo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, I'm not seriously complaining about it. It's a little silly, but I can certainly see why it's there.

I do think you ought to be able to press multiple de-jure barony claims, though, particularly against holy orders. Or god, I guess even worse is when you end up with the county capital, but all the baronies beneath it are a different realm. Four wars or so just to get total control of one county. That bit's annoying as hell.

That's true, and if you already hold the counties I see no reason why you would need several wars to get the foreign powers out of your provinces.

Volkerball posted:

It wouldn't have any impact on stability I don't think. It just makes it more grindy, which means the big fish spend more time fighting counties than fighting each other. There should definitely be a "I own all this, EVERYONE get the gently caress out" casus beli imo.

So you want the Abbasids at the CM start date to be even more powerful? Or the Byzantines in general?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

That's true, and if you already hold the counties I see no reason why you would need several wars to get the foreign powers out of your provinces.

So you want the Abbasids at the CM start date to be even more powerful? Or the Byzantines in general?

How would it make them more powerful? Their holy wars are done by the duchy or kingdom. They rip off chunks by taking on entire domains at a time, not by pressing de jure county claims. Also the Abassid's tend to blow up consistently now from what I've seen. Umayyad seems to be stronger.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
This week in Painfully Convoluted Ways to get Achievements:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Volkerball posted:

It's called the tribal invasion, and you implicitly should own everything!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

TITY BOI posted:

Pff. You're not even a Karling Roman Emperor.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm pretty sure these stats are locked.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TITY BOI posted:

:smuggo:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Vichan posted:

I'm pretty sure these stats are locked.
Yep.

code:
1317 = {
	name="Hans"
	dynasty=797
	martial=1
	diplomacy=0
	intrigue=5
	stewardship=7
	learning=10
	religion="catholic"
	culture="german"
	trait="mastermind_theologian"
	trait="scholar"
	trait="quick"
	trait="cynical"
	trait="honest"
	trait="shy"
	trait="paranoid"
	1040.1.1 = {
		birth="1040.1.1"
	}
	1100.1.1 = {
		death="1100.1.1"
	}
}

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Sloppy, you went for SPQR last when you could have been conquering brittania as the mongol-jain-saoshyant-sayyid-augustus!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Strudel Man posted:

Man. Pagan holy wars now give nicknames at a prodigious rate. My last three emperors have all been "the Sword of Zun," and the one before that was "the Sword of the Sun."

Also I guess you can get it from stopping crusades and jihads and what have you, which feels a little silly. Even a white peace can give it.

Hell, just conquesting gives out ridiculous numbers of nicknames. My last Haesteining game had every single "Sword of <Norse deity>" in my kingdom alone.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Pfft, you are not even a Karling. And you should be Jain for the opinion bonus. Like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Maimed trait's tooltip said it'd take a miracle to heal, it wasn't kidding.

All that blue land was green before that hellspawn took over. His grandson reconquered it and was having a good run until he died in his early twenties, leaving the country in regency for ten years of decadence, half the kingdom declaring independence, catholic uprisings and the start of the loving crusades all at the same time.

• Locked thread