Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh thank goodness i dont have to do clive's full story to get the good ending in suikoden 2, that was driving me insane with its time restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why does WA3 keep rewarding me with those tags that let you rename NPCs? Will the ocean of sand fill with beer if I name everyone Bruce?

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Infinity Gaia posted:

Things go severely downhill once you reach the prison chapter and enemies start having obnoxious amounts of HP and deal extreme amounts of damage, and the only way to counter that is to use your extremely overpowered AoE attacks on everything.

This. That's when I stopped playing. I just couldn't push past how tedious battles got at this point in the game. Bobbin Threadbare did a pretty good 100% LP of Rogue Galaxy, through which I lived vicariously:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9H-oYsI40xaazYM4sfnpTAyaRMU-z-gr

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Things go severely downhill once you reach the prison chapter and enemies start having obnoxious amounts of HP and deal extreme amounts of damage, and the only way to counter that is to use your extremely overpowered AoE attacks on everything.

This is where I stopped playing, too. I remember stopping because I was annoyed that my AI teammates couldn't avoid taking damage and would constantly die.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Heavy neutrino posted:

This is where I stopped playing, too. I remember stopping because I was annoyed that my AI teammates couldn't avoid taking damage and would constantly die.

That's pretty much Level 5's thing at this point.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Just imagine the Layton series with Level-5 brand of combat and enemy scaling. Or Level 5 brand of puzzles, like the tea poo poo in the second game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Shark Tower posted:

So I'm starting up Final Fantasy Type-0. Gotta say, if there's one thing Squenix's got going for them, it's gorgeous graphics.

So how important is it that I use my free time efficiently? Is there anything crucial I'll miss if I just go straight to the next mission, despite having 2+ hours left free?

There are a bunch of quests that are technically accessible during your first playthrough, but are increasingly beyond your level without ridiculous amounts of grinding. So, just do what you can and leave the rest for new game+.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rogue Galaxy was fine, but L5's best RPG is still the original Dark Cloud, warts and all. DC2 had some really cool ideas but it also has a really boring Saturday morning cartoon story

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Rogue Galaxy was fine, but L5's best RPG is still the original Dark Cloud, warts and all. DC2 had some really cool ideas but it also has a really boring Saturday morning cartoon story
I can't think of a single thing that Dark Cloud 1 does better than Dark Cloud 2. The town-building stuff is so different that I can chalk that much up to different tastes, I guess.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Oh thank goodness i dont have to do clive's full story to get the good ending in suikoden 2, that was driving me insane with its time restrictions.

Yeah, I've never bothered with it. Getting to Sajah within 20 hours means you really have to dedicate an entire run just to Clive's sidequest. Sounds interesting on paper, but there's no particular reward for it other than his story and you'd probably have to skip a lot of other content to make it in time.

I'm sure some crazy people have run Clive's quest and still recruited all 108 stars, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've never hated a Level-5 game, AI warts and all. But I look at a Tales game then I look at any other RPG with AI teammates in a real time system and all I can ask is "why did nobody bother to steal this?" ToH R is starting to warm up on me. I still don't understand the timing behind the guard break, I just mash square when I hear that little noise, but being able to set up specific attacks under specific conditions is fantastic.

Nihilarian posted:

I can't think of a single thing that Dark Cloud 1 does better than Dark Cloud 2. The town-building stuff is so different that I can chalk that much up to different tastes, I guess.

I'd say brevity is Dark Cloud's greatest strength. DC2 crams in everything and the kitchen sink. It's like 4-6 hours to get through all the story and intro dungeon before you even reach the first town. Dark Cloud just blows up and the world and there you go, start playing the game.

All this Dark Cloud chat I'm probably going to dust it off tonight but I'll never replay the sequel even though it's a far better game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

Its story is so bare bones and simple that it largely stays out of the way, and I preferred getting the rewards for town building in the town itself rather than travelling to The Future in DC2 which is a rigid static layout that only expands out rather than shifts around to match the past town layout. Also I'll always prefer 60fps to 30fps. DC2 also overloads you on systems to the point where you can golf inside of dungeon floors

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Its story is so bare bones and simple that it largely stays out of the way, and I preferred getting the rewards for town building in the town itself rather than travelling to Future Town which is a rigid static layout that only expands out rather than shifts around to match the past town layout. Also I'll always prefer 60fps to 30fps. DC2 also overloads you on systems to the point where you can golf inside of dungeon floors

Having to search for the treasures was absolutely miserable. I recall one of the latter areas where you don't even have a town to build, they just unlock chests as you complete the story. So every time you reach a point in the dungeon you have to zap to the future and run around this huge map trying to hunt down tiny objects. You need a guide to keep your sanity.

And if you hate missing stuff then Dark Cloud 2 is the worst game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Who ever said that the sand boss from Ys Origins was a grindfest is completely right. The game so far had been completely grind free until that guy. Ridiculous. It's crazy because once you reach Level 34 he is crazy easy.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The main thing that bugs me about Dark Cloud is that you get six characters, each with their own weapons and combat styles, of which only two (maybe three if you're any good with the genie lady) are at all useful. Who ever uses Goro at any point?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Its story is so bare bones and simple that it largely stays out of the way, and I preferred getting the rewards for town building in the town itself rather than travelling to The Future in DC2 which is a rigid static layout that only expands out rather than shifts around to match the past town layout. Also I'll always prefer 60fps to 30fps. DC2 also overloads you on systems to the point where you can golf inside of dungeon floors

But golfing in dungeons ruled so

Dr Snofeld posted:

The main thing that bugs me about Dark Cloud is that you get six characters, each with their own weapons and combat styles, of which only two (maybe three if you're any good with the genie lady) are at all useful. Who ever uses Goro at any point?

I never beat the final boss of DC1 because it needed you to use all the characters, and I had been ignoring like half of them up to that point so they weren't leveled at all. The first Dark Cloud has a simplistic charm (I never really cared much for the added story focus in 2) and is a good proof of concept, but it's definitely rough around the edges. And I say that as someone who didn't even mind the thirst meter that much.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Who ever said that the sand boss from Ys Origins was a grindfest is completely right. The game so far had been completely grind free until that guy. Ridiculous. It's crazy because once you reach Level 34 he is crazy easy.

I just keep hoping one day Ys will throw away the stupid XP/leveling system entirely but it just keeps going in the opposite direction so I'm pretty sure that'll never happen. :/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Erebus posted:

But golfing in dungeons ruled so
In which dungeons? The ones with ditches running along the walls? The ones with unpredictable bouncing off angled walls?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I just keep hoping one day Ys will throw away the stupid XP/leveling system entirely but it just keeps going in the opposite direction so I'm pretty sure that'll never happen. :/

The games are the premier action JRPGs

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Which one was the sand boss? I just finished Yunica's story and I didn't have to grind for a single second on Normal. The only boss that felt like it was too difficult for its location was the giant Mantis boss, IMO. It took as much punishment than the final boss.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Levantine posted:

Which one was the sand boss? I just finished Yunica's story and I didn't have to grind for a single second on Normal. The only boss that felt like it was too difficult for its location was the giant Mantis boss, IMO. It took as much punishment than the final boss.

The Khlonsclard Cactus-Thing. That guy was a complete jerk.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Levantine posted:

Compared to Khonsclard (the Silent Sands boss), the Mantid is really easy. I wouldn't really describe Khonsclard as grindy, though, so much as he's an obnoxious damage race.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Variant_Eris posted:

The Khlonsclard Cactus-Thing. That guy was a complete jerk.

You can shut down most of his attacks by hitting his base. I did it with the charged fire spell while taking out the little weird starfish that pop up. You can dash to a corner aim diagonally and wipe out a couple of those while hitting him. He was one of the few bosses I one-shotted my first time though.

I had tons of trouble with the giant mantis and the boss in Roda's Annex. I felt like if I messed up for a second I was dead.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

In which dungeons? The ones with ditches running along the walls? The ones with unpredictable bouncing off angled walls?

I'm a spheda master. I can bounce balls across floating islands with my eyes closed.

I really wanted Monica in a leopard bikini.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Levantine posted:

You can shut down most of his attacks by hitting his base. I did it with the charged fire spell while taking out the little weird starfish that pop up. You can dash to a corner aim diagonally and wipe out a couple of those while hitting him. He was one of the few bosses I one-shotted my first time though.

I had tons of trouble with the giant mantis and the boss in Roda's Annex. I felt like if I messed up for a second I was dead.

On hard and nightmare he gets stupid amounts of defense and the star things heal him really fast.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

SelenicMartian posted:

yes

What would golf be without some hazards.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

The games are the premier action JRPGs

Yeah but the XP/Level systems have always been awful garbage that do nothing but pad out the length of the game and make it harder to tune/balance the bosses and levels of the game. From the first game all the way until what we have now. The 'Action' part is what is actually good about Ys, not the 'RPG' part.

Not saying they even have to go full on top down character-action-game or anything (thought I certainly wouldn't complain), but just improving the way you level up (or the extreme need for it in many cases) would be good. To Celceta's credit, it's generally a lot better tuned regarding this than previous games in the series.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've never noticed or cared about the fps in the games so I'll take your word for that. But spheda rules. It's mostly optional so just don't play it if you don't want to.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

On hard and nightmare he gets stupid amounts of defense and the star things heal him really fast.

Makes sense. I'm not nearly good enough at games to play Ys on Nightmare without some assistance. I'm playing Hugo on Nightmare now but he started the game with the same stats as Yunica so I don't think I'll have a lot of trouble til the end.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Levantine posted:

Makes sense. I'm not nearly good enough at games to play Ys on Nightmare without some assistance. I'm playing Hugo on Nightmare now but he started the game with the same stats as Yunica so I don't think I'll have a lot of trouble til the end.

Hugo's like 10x easier than the other characters, you should be okay. Your thumbs may hate your guts though.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Hugo's like 10x easier than the other characters, you should be okay.

I glazed over this sentence and thought it was about Suikoden III for a second, and I was about to get really upset at how wrong it was.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is it just me or is the writing in growlanser ii weird?

i feel like I'm only being showed a selection of scenes from a story, not the entire thing.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Cross posting from the steam thread. You guys usually have thoughtful judgments.

Thinking about picking up Trails in the Sky. I got Ys Oath in Felghana during the last sale and only played about 5 hours or so. The last JRPG I finished was Tales of Vesperia on the 360 I think. How's the combat system and pacing of the main quest? Any particularly annoying/boring/grinding parts? And is it best played with a controller?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the pacing is pretty slow and deliberate for most of the game, i think it works but ymmv. combat system is simple but pretty fun, although spell animations could stand to be slower. it's not grindy in the least, as exp scales and if you lose a fight you have the option to retry with the enemy made slightly weaker

basically it's my favorite but don't buy it if you're not willing to deal with a super story and character focused game, the rpg elements are good but so much emphasis is given to the writing that if you're not invested in that you'll get sick of it

the story and characters are great though, and that's why i called it my favorite

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fun Times! posted:

Cross posting from the steam thread. You guys usually have thoughtful judgments.

Thinking about picking up Trails in the Sky. I got Ys Oath in Felghana during the last sale and only played about 5 hours or so. The last JRPG I finished was Tales of Vesperia on the 360 I think. How's the combat system and pacing of the main quest? Any particularly annoying/boring/grinding parts? And is it best played with a controller?

Basically what Cake Attack said. All the early to mid game momentum is directed towards character and world building so that when the poo poo hits the fan it really matters. It does take a long time for the game to really open up though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished Mother 3. Good game. Did the egg macguffin never actually get used??

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
im walter feng and this is my depressing robot story

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Nate RFB posted:

Finished Mother 3. Good game. Did the egg macguffin never actually get used??

No. It was a plot Macguffin that never really led anywhere. It sort of got shunted to the side, and I'm pretty sure that they didn't use the egg at the end.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
So did anyone play Natural Doctrine? It has gotten some pretty disappointing reviews but I've also caught word that its a good game for Strategy RPG enthusiasts.

I've been itching for a strategy RPG and I kinda like the look of Natural Doctrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eggie posted:

So did anyone play Natural Doctrine? It has gotten some pretty disappointing reviews but I've also caught word that its a good game for Strategy RPG enthusiasts.

I've been itching for a strategy RPG and I kinda like the look of Natural Doctrine.

It's a good game. It's weird and poorly explained and pretty goddamn ugly but the core gameplay is quite fun.