Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Holy crap, I never noticed this before. I wonder if it's a deliberate homage? Knowing Ellis, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Morrison's Batman Incorporated has a lot of British stuff in it (along with other international characters), including one minor character inspired by Margaret Thatcher

-----

Christ almighty, always knew Morrison was a bad 'un.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I saw a bit of the Incredibles the other day and was reminded of the Superhero costume designer scene. I was wondering if any comics have ever gone in-depth in-universe about superheroes and their costumes? Is there someone out there making outfits for heroes and villains? Do heroes themselves ever discuss costume trends like the 90s-era Liefield look or how absolutely everyone used to wear spandex?

Hoping I haven't missed that being covered in the thread already.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dolash posted:

I saw a bit of the Incredibles the other day and was reminded of the Superhero costume designer scene. I was wondering if any comics have ever gone in-depth in-universe about superheroes and their costumes? Is there someone out there making outfits for heroes and villains? Do heroes themselves ever discuss costume trends like the 90s-era Liefield look or how absolutely everyone used to wear spandex?

There was Leo Zelinsky, a tailor for superheroes and supervillains from JMS's run on Amazing Spider-Man. Leo has not been seen since he designed a costume for PENANCE, which probably sunk his reputation.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dolash posted:

There is in fact a guy in Marvel New York who provides most of the superhero tailoring who was introduced in I think JMS' Spider-Man run (issue #502, to be precise). He sees heroes and villains on alternate days. Spidey's not a customer (that's actually why he seeks him out-he has info one of his customers is about to kill a DA and can't just tell one of his regular clients or he'd risk losing all his business). He actually designs Spidey's Last Stand costume, which cropped up earlier in the thread:

VagueRant posted:

Great OP!

I was recently reminded of this Spidey outfit from JMS' run, that I always liked.

the wiki kind of explains it maybe - http://spiderman.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Parker_%28Earth-312500%29
The jacket was even reversible so he could easily go from casual Peter to Spidey. Shame it never came into the story proper. Jackets are definitely big in superhero fashion lately.
Both stylish and practical!

Edit: Aw dang, beaten. Didn't realise he made Penance's outfit. Isn't Spider-Woman's new costume meant to have a reversible jacket? Maye she got it from Leo.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dolash posted:

Gladiator (the non-Shiar one) makes costumes for a lot of superheroes between going evil and crazy as well as fixing up costumes for heroes when they get messed up. With regards to the last part every now and again when a new writer comes along and costumes get redesigned there will be some off hand comments.

Off the top of my head when Whedon took over Astonishing X-Men he moved the X-Men from leather jackets back to their costumes and there was a quip about how everybody wearing black leather was freaking people out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dolash posted:

One of the characters in Invincible is a tailor and designer, though he doesn't play a major role or anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There was a Batman story about a tailor who ends up getting roped into doing costume work for Batman's rogues, although since they're dangerous psychos it's a terrifying situation for him instead of a side gig, and Batman ends up rescuing him from it and hiring him to work on his own suits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also a story in Morrison's Action Comics run that revealed where Superman got his S shirt.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Rogues also had a tailor on retainer for a while? It may have been before the Rogues were an official thing but he was the go to for a lot of Flash villains for a while.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

There was Leo Zelinsky, a tailor for superheroes and supervillains from JMS's run on Amazing Spider-Man. Leo has not been seen since he designed a costume for PENANCE, which probably sunk his reputation.
I actually like Penance's costume for what it's worth. Penance is a stupid character, but I think if you re-purposed it for some third tier villain then you'd have a decent and memorable costume that has a lot going on without ever being busy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Penance was nu metal in super hero form.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Rogues also had a tailor on retainer for a while? It may have been before the Rogues were an official thing but he was the go to for a lot of Flash villains for a while.

Paul Gambi, tailor extraordinaire! There was even a minor reference to him on the Flash TV show, with some kind of "Gambi Tailor" or "Gambi Dry Cleaning" truck.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hakkesshu posted:

One of the characters in Invincible is a tailor and designer, though he doesn't play a major role or anything.

Didn't he briefly hook up with Invincible's mom? That doesn't seem that minor...

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Paul Gambi, tailor extraordinaire! There was even a minor reference to him on the Flash TV show, with some kind of "Gambi Tailor" or "Gambi Dry Cleaning" truck.

He only made a few appearances in the pre-Crisis DCU. Here's part of his first one from Flash #141:

He ended up having a twin brother who designed Black Lightning's costume and then took a bullet for him in Black Lightning #1. Also, he was named in tribute to Paul Gambaccini, a big name fan who wrote a lot of letters to DC books during the Silver Age and ended up having a media career in the UK as a critic or something.

There was a really good prose short story in a Batman paperback that I had years ago about a tailor who made costumes for everybody in Gotham City. The whole thing is just stuff like Batman and him arguing about the best way to make gloves and batlines, and it's the best story in the book.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Servoret posted:

Also, he was named in tribute to Paul Gambaccini, a big name fan who wrote a lot of letters to DC books during the Silver Age and ended up having a media career in the UK as a critic or something.

Seriously? That's really weird. Paul Gambaccini hosted the official music chart programme in the UK during the 70s and 80s and he's been a DJ on classical music stations for the last 20 odd years.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Seriously? That's really weird. Paul Gambaccini hosted the official music chart programme in the UK during the 70s and 80s and he's been a DJ on classical music stations for the last 20 odd years.

Yeah, it's the same guy. I see him pop up occasionally when I watch British documentaries and I'm always weirded out that this American I know of from old letter columns ended up as a media personality in the UK.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thunderstrike AKA 90s XTREME Thor.

His son, Thunderstrike II, decided to carry on the terrible costume tradition.

The first Thunderstrike's costume was basically Thor with a silly vest instead of a cape, which wasn't so bad, but number 2's costume is a complete clusterfuck.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Dolash posted:

I think I remember the X-Men having a costume making machine in Beast's lab or something like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There was an alien costume making machine in Secret Wars, which Charles Xavier showed off for like three pages.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And Spidey still picked the wrong machine.

The Shiar had an instant wardrobe machine that turned Kitty into Darth Vader in the Dark Phoenix saga.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When the new X-Men first showed up, Xavier said their costumes were made by Reed Richards of unstable molecules. There's definitely a tailor in NYC that caters to supertypes who shows up in the most street-level books. The X-Men have a Shiar machine in their basement that can just do whatever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

And Spidey still picked the wrong machine.

The Shiar had an instant wardrobe machine that turned Kitty into Darth Vader in the Dark Phoenix saga.

I remember the '90s X-Force team got new costumes with that Shi'Ar device after Liefeld left the book, perhaps when Capullo took over the art, in the X-Cutioner's Song era.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Kitty got her first Sprite costume from the garbage can at Goodwill.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

The X-Men have a Shiar machine in their basement that can just do whatever.

A Maguffin? Those things are great!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
New Mutants (I think) immediately after the death of Doug and the 'deaths' of the X-Men had the kids coping by finding a bunch of discarded and unused costume remnants during the Blevins era.

Looking back at them now I think the only one that maybe sort of looked maybe sort of okayish was Illyana if only by virtue of looking a bit like Colossus' red-vest costume.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Worst superhero costume ever was when Kitty Pryde made an outfit out of various things in the X-Men's attic.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That costume is magnificent in only the way that a 14-year-old going through an attic for something to wear with roller skates can be, you philistine :argh:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Give the kid a break. It was her fifth costume and second codename that day.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kitty has always had a costume problem.

This is one of the absolute worst costumes in comics today. I hate it. It looks so dumb.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hakkesshu posted:

This is one of the absolute worst costumes in comics today. I hate it. It looks so dumb.

The only problem with that costume is that it's aggressively generic x-mans.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That looks like it's just a color swap on Nightcrawlers classic costume. Which I think was a holdover from being in the circus? Honestly it was a pretty good costume on him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I love any costume that takes after the retro X-Men. Dark blue and yellow for everybody!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Is her belt kinda phasing out of her on her right side? Or is it just made to look like it is?

Also, when did the Tarnished-Silver Surfer join the X-Men?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's Teen Bobby from the Past.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

Is her belt kinda phasing out of her on her right side? Or is it just made to look like it is?

Also, when did the Tarnished-Silver Surfer join the X-Men?

I believe those are the past original team so that would be Bobby. Personally, I've always found the team X-Men costume kind of bland. Like it makes sense for the younger guys but once you graduate to full X-Men you should get a personalized one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I believe those are the past original team so that would be Bobby. Personally, I've always found the team X-Men costume kind of bland. Like it makes sense for the younger guys but once you graduate to full X-Men you should get a personalized one.

Like aces in WW1 before everyone figured out "SHOOT THE COLORFUL GUY! THAT MOTHERFUCKER RIGHT THERE, SHOOT HIM!"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Hakkesshu posted:

I was all ready to say "Hey, the one Alan Davis drew her in in Excalibur was pretty boss" and then I went back and actually looked at it, only to realize that my memory deceived me and it was in fact terrible. Ye Gods, that loving collar.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

muscles like this? posted:

Your X-men uniform would literally be a school uniform. I dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McSpanky posted:

That costume is magnificent in only the way that a 14-year-old going through an attic for something to wear with roller skates can be, you philistine :argh:

Even Molly managed to make a costume that was less stupid than that:

• Locked thread