Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Illuyankas posted:

I honestly think giant enkaral-brained toblakai guy was completely forgotten about by Erikson, just like Lorn's otataral sword Paran is holding during Memories of Ice.
The second spoiler gets taken care of during Bonehunters, he gives it to the Trygalle mage who destroys it. Paran keeps a shard which he uses to smack Poliel.
edit: VVV Oooh, now I get it. Okay, that's fair.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

The second spoiler gets taken care of during Bonehunters.

Yeah, but that's what I mean - SE forgot it while writing MOI.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Illuyankas posted:

Yeah, but that's what I mean - SE forgot it while writing MOI.

And iirc this isn't just a inside joke. SE straight up admitted he forgot until, again iirc, a reader asked about it. Frankly, I appreciate the...frankness. Martin or Rothfuss would have probably just tried to pretend that they meant to leave the sword out, like the weasels they are. While Sandersom wouldn't have forgotten the sword at all, and in fact the reason the sword didn't appear in MoI would have been explained long before MoI even came out, in the sword's own trilogy that takes place in a strictly class-based society on a world populated entirely by swords, and which is available only as an eBook sent to you by the author if you email him asking for it nicely

Rarity: to some extent, you remain uncertain of what is happening or whom to root for until the latter parts of the last book of the series. It's glorious.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 11, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rarity posted:

I've got up to halfway through Gardens of the Moon. I'm liking it well enough but I don't have a clue what's going on. I can't even tell if the characters I like are the characters I'm supposed to like. How long do I have read for this to all start making sense? :psyduck:

Since nobody else has explicitly said: This is exactly how you're supposed to feel. You can say it's bad writing or good writing, most of the other books don't do it to you as bad as Gardens, but the whole lack of explanation is intentional.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rarity posted:

I've got up to halfway through Gardens of the Moon. I'm liking it well enough but I don't have a clue what's going on. I can't even tell if the characters I like are the characters I'm supposed to like.

Already answered, but I want to point out that you should feel free to post about who you ARE rooting for at any given point, plus what you think might happen or IS actually happening.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If only for our morbid amusement.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok well I'm about halfway through the first book (I only get to read a couple of days a week) so right now I'm liking Whiskeyjack, Tattersail, Crokus, Crone, Toc, Lorn and her undead buddy. The only thing I really expect to happen is Hairlock to end up a sympathetic character.

I have no idea what's actually happening. Tattersail died and turned into a magic baby or something?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Rarity posted:

Ok well I'm about halfway through the first book (I only get to read a couple of days a week) so right now I'm liking Whiskeyjack, Tattersail, Crokus, Crone, Toc, Lorn and her undead buddy. The only thing I really expect to happen is Hairlock to end up a sympathetic character.

I have no idea what's actually happening. Tattersail died and turned into a magic baby or something?

Good...good....

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
You're doing better than I did.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The mother of that magic baby returns in Memories of Ice where she acts like the biggest whiner in SFF history, and for some reason nobody calls her by her loving name.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

NmareBfly posted:

Already answered, but I want to point out that you should feel free to post about who you ARE rooting for at any given point, plus what you think might happen or IS actually happening.

The only correct person to root for in any given situation is Karsa regardless of whether or not he appears in the book.

I gave up on trying to summarize the ICE books when I realized that I couldn't remember 90% of RotCG, by the way. Sorry about that.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
A summary of RotCG stuff that I remember -

The Crimson Guard get the call to reform and take back D'Avore lands. Iron Bars and his squad are Far Away and trying to return. The CG Vow is hinted to be not the greatest idea in the world. The CG get to Quon Tali and start laying waste to things because they are a bunch of tough motherfuckers and it's loving hard to put them both down and out. A very underwhelming new character called Kyle ( :argh: ) joins the CG from Assail (!) and, on his first mission with them, gets a magic sword from some super magic dude aligned to the air or something. The CG link up with a bunch of ex-Malazan army types, including Toc the Elder. These people have a Princess or heir for whatever throne used to be in the area. After a bunch of fighting and sieges and poo poo - which includes Ryllandaras in his Soletaken jackal form - the CG realize life has moved on and nobody, including themselves, really wants to take back D'Avore lands, smite the empire, yadda yadda so they leave, feeling foolish.

Also K'azz D'Avore gets released from some sort of magic prison and it turns out Skinner, the CG second-in-command, may be up to No Good/his own stuff. Also also, Kyle ( :argh: ) is a boring character.

There's probably more but eh.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I think you mean Kyleragladfjnvgddhhrf.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

rejutka posted:

There's probably more but eh.

Someone who has only read the main series and never plans on trying ICE would probably want to know that Surly gets assassinated and Mallick Rel is proclaimed emperor.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Oh yeah, Laseen gets a thrill out of running around the battlefield in disguise beating Avowed to death with her hands and feet, that was cool. (until Vorcan's daughter, who works for Mallick Rel, assassinates her)

If we just crowdsource all the books like this we can write up better summaries later.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Rarity posted:

What is wrong, don't you like Paran and Kruppe?

Spoiler (and for those who have read the series).
It is kinda interesting how SE kills his darlings and shifts important PoV. Of those above, none gets important PoVs in the final books, except Tool of course.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cardiac posted:

What is wrong, don't you like Paran and Kruppe?

Oh yeah Paran's all right. Kruppe can :frogout: though :colbert:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If we just crowdsource all the books like this we can write up better summaries later.

That'd be cool. I can't stand ICE.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Kyle is the laziest name in the entire series

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Rarity posted:

Kruppe can :frogout: though :colbert:

:respek: Y'know what's up, Rarity.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I had forgotten all about Crone, though she was my favorite character in GotM. I'm on the back-end of Dust of Dreams, and hope she'll make a return in the next book.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
You're all missing out on the two best characters in the entire series: Korbal and Bauchelain. Easily my favourite characters in fantasy.

e: ignore my username, I had a bought of laziness when I made the account that's lasted to today.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

Oh yeah Paran's all right. Kruppe can :frogout: though :colbert:

rejutka posted:

:respek: Y'know what's up, Rarity.

You guys are really cool. #DownWithKruppe

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
kruppe is actually the best

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Theory: Kruppe is disliked because self-hating goons see themselves in him.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

And he's fat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zeitgueist posted:

That's a facile theory, but even if it's true, it wouldn't make them wrong.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Look at all these people with horrible opinions.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

nucleicmaxid posted:

Look at all these people with horrible opinions.

Except that swell guy that loves Korbal & Bauchelain, right?

V Tehol is a close 3rd

Baudin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 14, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Kruppe is an interior Pust, Broach is barely even a character, and all must bow before Tehol.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The best character is Udinaas, obviously.
Kruppe is probably disliked because TtH happens.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Habibi posted:

Kruppe is an interior Pust, Broach is barely even a character, and all must bow before Tehol.

Nah, I liked Kruppe when he was called Nakor the Isalani and was written by Raymond E Feist.

Iskaral Pust rocks, mind.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kruppe owns and the guy who does the audiobooks for him totally nails the performance as a pedantic overblown windbag.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rejutka posted:

Nah, I liked Kruppe when he was called Nakor the Isalani and was written by Raymond E Feist.

Iskaral Pust rocks, mind.

Nakor had more in common with Pust.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Rationality is the burden of the factual.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
The deceptively incompetent master is a fairly well known trope in a bunch of fantasy literature and probably goes back way before the genre.

However Kruppe is a really well done version of it, the character "voice" is fairly unique and clever.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
I'm glad you all came around re: Kruppe owning

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

rejutka posted:

You see, everyone can manipulate stuff. There is no magic, it's all just stuff. I think the universe is a baby and he is learning by creating worlds and seeing what happens with his experiments. Anyone want an orange?

Oh god you loving ruined Kruppe for me.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just started The Bonehunters. I'll miss the Letheras cast, Midnight Tides may be my favorite book of the series so far. Which leads me to my question. When does Shurq Elalle show up next? I'm very much looking forward to her stint as a pirate queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Spermy Smurf posted:

And he's fat.

So a goon then?

zeal posted:

Just started The Bonehunters. I'll miss the Letheras cast, Midnight Tides may be my favorite book of the series so far. Which leads me to my question. When does Shurq Elalle show up next? I'm very much looking forward to her stint as a pirate queen.

Dust of dreams and The Crippled God