Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll be honest, the three new playthroughs going up now all have me more excited for the channel then I've been in awhile. Good time to be a fan of people who play video games for the internet :toot:

"I didn't get far in TTYD"

Matt please okay them to do that next. I want it super bad now.

Yes please, TTYD is the best Paper Mario game. Bowser's Inside Story is the best Mario RPG of them all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
SMRPG is the game that got me into the JRPG genre. It's loving great and I love it and this is fantastic thank you senpais.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Eh...sorry, Pat/Matt, I don't think Silent Hill 2 looks that great compared to other PS2 games. It looks like a high-res PS1 game a lot of the times with better face technology, but the actual running looks like garbage, especially when compared to late PS2 games.

Or even fairly, MGS2 which came around the same time from the same company.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MGS2 doesn't even just look good for the time, it just plain looks good, although with simple environments.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've been catching up on TBF playthroughs that I haven't seen yet, so I've just finished watching Homecoming, shortly after watching Downpour. Moving straight on to Silent Hill 2 is going to be an interesting experience.

MGS2 had a simple visual design throughout (a lot of the tech has a smooth, textureless motif) that let them add a rounded softness to all the 3D models, especially on the faces, so the characters have a kind of plastic-y living action figure look to them while still feeling like living people, a bit like the characters in Toy Story.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the only problem with anything that is happening is it makes me want to play mario rpg

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

MGS2 had a simple visual design throughout (a lot of the tech has a smooth, textureless motif) that let them add a rounded softness to all the 3D models, especially on the faces, so the characters have a kind of plastic-y living action figure look to them while still feeling like living people, a bit like the characters in Toy Story.
The MGS2 devs did a lot of experimenting to come up with the style they did...

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Should I not watch the Game of Thrones LP if I haven't watched the fourth season yet?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

^ Never seen those before, thanks.

It's between three and four, so as long as you've seen the red wedding, you're good.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The Kins posted:

The MGS2 devs did a lot of experimenting to come up with the style they did...

drat that second one looks great. I'd kill for a handheld Metal Gear in that style.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

^ Never seen those before, thanks.

Commissar Ken posted:

drat that second one looks great. I'd kill for a handheld Metal Gear in that style.
They're from The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2, which is a pretty awesome bonus disc that came with MGS2 Substance in some countries. It has model viewers (which I took those shots in) for characters, vehicles and environments, along with a bunch of other cool development debris like a detailed development timeline, behind the scenes videos etc.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 11, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

goldblums eyes posted:

Should I not watch the Game of Thrones LP if I haven't watched the fourth season yet?

The game mainly revolves around a family that's not actually in the show, so you'll probably be fine.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Also it's been a bit since i've played through SH 2 last but re-seeing that intro and the bits after it really hits me hard that with the way James talks if they wanted to make a SH2 movie they should have went with William H. Macy as James. He does that same sort of awkward stilted dialogue really really well.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 11, 2015

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

The game mainly revolves around a family that's not actually in the show, so you'll probably be fine.

Thanks. I was moreso wondering if Matt and Woolie say anything that would spoil season 4 for me though.

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 11, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched the first episode and they didn't say anything with spoilers for Season 4. They usually watch out for that stuff so I wouldn't imagine they'd let one slip out unless it was an accident.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've been catching up on TBF playthroughs that I haven't seen yet, so I've just finished watching Homecoming, shortly after watching Downpour. Moving straight on to Silent Hill 2 is going to be an interesting experience.

Just so you know, Homecoming desperately wants to be Silent Hill 2 and blatantly copies it's end-of-game twist. If you don't know what that twist is, you should probably wait until you can see the good version of that ending before watching the lovely version that has Pat talking about how it's a shameless copy of SH2 over it. Just thought I should warn you.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 11, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Commissar Ken posted:

Also it's been a bit since i've played through SH 2 last but re-seeing that intro and the bits after it really hits me hard that with the way James talks if they wanted to make a SH2 movie they should have went with William H. Macy as James. He does that same sort of awkward stilted dialogue really really well.

I think Sean Bean as James would have been hilarious. It's too bad the second Silent Hill movie is what it is. Which is trash.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Matt Plays No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (Part 1) yoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
FOUR concurrent let's plays?!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They're coming back from the Christmas break in style. That is a hell of a line up of games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HGH posted:

I think Sean Bean as James would have been hilarious. It's too bad the second Silent Hill movie is what it is. Which is trash.

The first Silent Hill movie was pretty incredible to me because it was the first Sean Bean movie I'd seen in a long time where he does not die at the end. In fact he's the only major character that never has anything supernatural happen to him at all. The somehow even shittier second movie rectifies this misgiving, in a roundabout way.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How long did it take for the Best of 2013 video to go up last year?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

FOUR concurrent let's plays?!

They're just spoiling us at this point.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

goldblums eyes posted:

Thanks. I was moreso wondering if Matt and Woolie say anything that would spoil season 4 for me though.

They were pretty upfront about "you need to be caught up to the end of season 3 to watch this" so I think they're being careful.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Matt, stop kavetching. You did a good job by yourself and having worked on it it's interesting to hear you talk about it. PLUS No More Heroes is a good game for cool guys and one of my favorite Wii games so I wanna see the whole shebang.

Goddamn this version has some gnarly screen tearing though on cutscenes. Death Metal walking up the stairs nearly ripped space and time.

beep by grandpa posted:

How long did it take for the Best of 2013 video to go up last year?

Like June or July.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Commissar Ken posted:

Matt, stop kavetching. You did a good job by yourself and having worked on it it's interesting to hear you talk about it. PLUS No More Heroes is a good game for cool guys and one of my favorite Wii games so I wanna see the whole shebang.

This, 100%. You have a unique perspective on one of the most interesting games of the last generation, it will be good, don't worry about it.

Also, what a loving lineup of LPs. 2015 starting real strong.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Can't believe you guys remembered Melisandre, but forgot then mispronounced one of the main character names repeatedly. :v:

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

For anyone who doesn't watch VGCW (Video Game Championship Wrestling) they are doing a big tournament soon to see who will get into the main roster for the show and it's up to the viewers to vote who fights in it. So, why do I bring it to this threads attention?

The baz must get pushed.
http://w11.zetaboards.com/VGCW/topic/10879411/1/

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Advanced Warfare would have been a lot better if it involved Big Boss Man stealing caskets.

nexas posted:

For anyone who doesn't watch VGCW (Video Game Championship Wrestling) they are doing a big tournament soon to see who will get into the main roster for the show and it's up to the viewers to vote who fights in it. So, why do I bring it to this threads attention?

The baz must get pushed.
http://w11.zetaboards.com/VGCW/topic/10879411/1/

You also get three votes, so be sure to throw one towards Shovel Knight too!

Here's a video of his entrance from the fan show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaC6iMPaFuo

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 12, 2015

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

To release 4 high-caliber LPs, and then release a CoD Machinima video..... That's loving money, and I love it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Depths posted:

Matt Plays No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (Part 1) yoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Holy moley I thought this post from yesterday was the poster requesting Matt do a solo LP of NMH, then today I check my YouTube stream and drat girl.

2015 off to a crazy strong start.

Anyway, something about the art style in the ps3 version bugs the poo poo out of me- like it's too gritty or the graphics are too sharp/realistic for my liking...I think I prefer the Wii graphics/shittier processing power way more than what we have. I can't say that I've ever felt this way about a rerease with a graphical update ever before, either.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Rhonne posted:

Advanced Warfare would have been a lot better if it involved Big Boss Man stealing caskets.

You also get three votes, so be sure to throw one towards Shovel Knight too!

Here's a video of his entrance from the fan show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaC6iMPaFuo

WE'VE GOT TO PUSH SUMMER KNIGHT FOR SHOVELSLAM

Wait, gently caress. That came out wrong/ That intro is super hype though.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man watching someone play super Mario RPG without using the run button is the most frustrating poo poo ever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cmykjester posted:

Man watching someone play super Mario RPG without using the run button is the most frustrating poo poo ever.

I wonder how many sessions are already recorded before they look at comments and figure it out

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

cmykjester posted:

I see where you're coming from but at this point I'm still so happy they're playing it at all I wouldn't even care if they ignored timed hits.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This channel has me on a loop.

I really, really enjoy the SH2 LP and the only thing really bogging it down is Pat seems waaay too eager to try and explain the ending. We're in part 2 and it's mostly just "do you get this do you understand where this is going this means this can you understand his wife's situation?"

Like I'd rather have a reserved playthrough and a bonus video of the two guys just talkin it out instead because the commentary style is just kinda odd.

The NMH video also took me by surprised because I like Matt, he's a good guy, but solo let's plays on the channel kinda worry me a teensy tiny bit. Especially Matt who, no offense, seems to be the top of his game when he bounces off someone.

Egg on my face when I realized the angle he's going with it and it's pretty reserved as well. Eager to see how the future parts play out now. What a good time to be on this channel.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Matt's joke persona works best with a straight man, which means it's a good thing his solo run is basically just him being a normal rear end dude with legitimately interesting insights to share! I had a moment of 'man I hope this is good' too but pretty much right away I saw it was gonna be good.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
When Liam got the star in Bandit's Way and just walked through all of the K-9 enemies, I started cracking up. I wonder if they know how to run and are just meta-trolling us especially since Liam let his knowledge of Geno slip a couple of times. And him knowing about the attack/defense action commands almost right away.

And yeah, you guys were under-leveled when fighting Croco. I didn't have any trouble with any fights in the game (except for Culex), but I destroyed every enemy I saw.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This channel has me on a loop.

I really, really enjoy the SH2 LP and the only thing really bogging it down is Pat seems waaay too eager to try and explain the ending. We're in part 2 and it's mostly just "do you get this do you understand where this is going this means this can you understand his wife's situation?"

This also annoys me a bit about Pat. Being the lore guy is really cool and all, but being the lore guy does not work when you want to make sure everyone is constantly aware that you are the lore guy begging to be asked for information about the story of a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Charles Martel posted:

When Liam got the star in Bandit's Way and just walked through all of the K-9 enemies, I started cracking up. I wonder if they know how to run and are just meta-trolling us especially since Liam let his knowledge of Geno slip a couple of times. And him knowing about the attack/defense action commands almost right away.

And yeah, you guys were under-leveled when fighting Croco. I didn't have any trouble with any fights in the game (except for Culex), but I destroyed every enemy I saw.

Eh, they stated they aren't full-blind because of game culture osmosis - Pat outright said "I know Geno's badass" in the first video. Timed attacks were invented by this game and Liam played one of the other ones. Plus, picking up a star and running thru enemies isn't foreknowledge, it's just having played Mario before. If anything the cloud thing is Liam knowing more than he's letting on.

CJacobs posted:

This also annoys me a bit about Pat. Being the lore guy is really cool and all, but being the lore guy does not work when you want to make sure everyone is constantly aware that you are the lore guy begging to be asked for information about the story of a video game.

SH2 is Pat's excuse to sploosh exposition all over Silent Hill - that's how he demonstrates affection. He's going kinda hard into spoilers territory tho.