Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

univbee posted:

well that was an anti-climactic end to the super metroid race at agdq

one of the runners about 25 minutes in got one-shotted by a boss due to a fluke thing that can happen that causes 8x damage. due to how super metroid speedrunning works he hasn't saved so he'd have to start over from the beginning. :rip:

so now the last hour is just the other guy running a victory lap, pretty much
This is why all super metroid races should be 4 way races

angry_keebler posted:

i tried playing baldur's gate on the ipad and it's really bad

if a badguy casts an aoe spell it slows down to a crawl and the party ai scripts don't work and the ai toggle doesn't work so you can't turn the bad ai off

it's just unplayable
Didn't Beamdog do that one? You could ask Kirk why it's so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

ahmeni posted:

finally got a couple hours into Transistor and past the 2nd boss and the combat system is feeling hella clunky with the focus on the stop mode

shoulda kept it all realtime like Bastion

i liked the combat, especially once you get more abilities.
that said, i only *really* started to like it the very last part of the game once you're fully loaded out,
and can customize your playstyle more

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Cardboard Box A posted:

This is why all super metroid races should be 4 way races

yeah, last year's race was actually really loving good

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

beamdog are apparently working on an infinity engine baldur's gate game which will take place during the two. it might be good or bad.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it looks very infinity engine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

because theyre using original bg engine

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Pinterest Mom posted:

beamdog are apparently working on an infinity engine baldur's gate game which will take place during the two. it might be good or bad.
it's kind of crazy that they've said ports of torment or iwd2 are pretty much impossible but can make a new campaign for the weird ad&d ruleset/engine instead

cps+s: prototype 2 is one of the better free + titles in a while. it is about as good as infamous2 so far and scales against the first game in the same way

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
it would be neat if beamdog did a 4th or 5th edition d&d game tbh, not like i don't know what those would turn out like

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my money is on bad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

adapting a legacy tabletop system to a crpg is pretty much always going to wind up that way. torment was interesting but mechanically was a hot mess. 3rd edition might just be the least awful system but 4th really could be decent, it's just no one's tried it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

shadowrun returns is the closest we've seen to a d&d 4th crpg but the best parts of dragonfall dc aren't the combat mechanics

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

4th was designed specifically to sell vidya games

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

We got a lot of questions about Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition and a potential Baldur’s Gate III on our reddit AMA. We’d be lying if we said we never think about doing a Baldur’s Gate III game, so we won’t say that. But we will say there’s nothing in the works yet regarding BGIII or a 5th edition game. That doesn’t mean the opportunity will never arise, though, so we’re preparing by starting a tabletop 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons game here in the office.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Kenny Logins posted:

shadowrun returns is the closest we've seen to a d&d 4th crpg but the best parts of dragonfall dc aren't the combat mechanics

I like the xcom lite combat mechanics.i loving hate how almost every battle has a loving timer

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

picked up demons souls again, gently caress 2-2

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
captain toad <3 <3 <3

just finished book 1. most adorable game of 2014

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Granbar posted:

captain toad <3 <3 <3

just finished book 1. most adorable game of 2014

~time for adventure~

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Al! posted:

I like the xcom lite combat mechanics.i loving hate how almost every battle has a loving timer
i don't dislike the combat but it wasn't enough to redeem the core campaign. dragonfall DLC owns for a combo of its writing, encounter design and characters, and is well served by the combat. not amazing but works well

seriously tho spell cool downs, combat companions and per-mission-use abilities would be the bread and butter of a d&d4th system crpg

haven't really seen anything of 5th besides the adventure zone podcast but its main ideas (advantage/disadvantage, inspiration) don't seem like they'd bring much to a crpg

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

adapting a legacy tabletop system to a crpg is pretty much always going to wind up that way. torment was interesting but mechanically was a hot mess. 3rd edition might just be the least awful system but 4th really could be decent, it's just no one's tried it

There isn't a single AD&D crpg that followed the rules exactly anyway.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Notorious QIG posted:

picked up demons souls again, gently caress 2-2

people like to say how awful 5 is in general, but I think that 2-2 and forward is the worst designed poo poo in the universe

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Citizen Tayne posted:

its almost as if making an RPG with the ruleset for a tabletop game is a supremely dumb idea

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

fair, even in the baldur's gate games there was aggravation from how close they managed to be. can't really remember how much it departed from the core rules, never played 2nd ed forgotten realms. i guess hunger/sleeping weren't followed

i guess i'd be content with more stuff in the divinity:os engine

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Can one of you peeps pls get me an invite into linkshell cause this molly millions character is never online

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rexicon1 posted:

people like to say how awful 5 is in general, but I think that 2-2 and forward is the worst designed poo poo in the universe

i don't understand how im supposed to reach the bottom of this pit

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
vanquish is some really boring poo poo

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
par for the goon recommended course i guess

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

triple sulk posted:

Can one of you peeps pls get me an invite into linkshell cause this molly millions character is never online

look for anyone with a goon tag and they'll normally point you in the right direction
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/freecompany/9236460623271821325/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/freecompany/9236460623271823315/

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

go cry to youre waifu about it

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

yeah power sliding everywhere while shooting the poo poo out of giant robots is dull as hell

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

you're playing it wrong somehow

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Cat Face Joe posted:

yeah power sliding everywhere while shooting the poo poo out of giant robots is dull as hell

power sliding for five seconds while shooting lovely guns packing less punch than pointing a finger at the screen and saying "pew pew"

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
you cant build a good game on one mechanic

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
was there ever a pc release of vanquish cause i remember finding the aiming very sluggish on ps3 even when doing slo-mo and i bet its way better w m/kb

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

that entire thread is just excellent

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

bump_fn posted:

was there ever a pc release of vanquish cause i remember finding the aiming very sluggish on ps3 even when doing slo-mo and i bet its way better w m/kb

don't think so. played a little bit of it on my friends ps3, really seemed like a p cool game. i remember the story being ludicrous

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

been a week without my 360 wired controller that i'm using with steam. jonesing hard for some more spelunking..!!11

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

:what:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
lol also-ran moba smite is running a $2.6million tournament with big front page articles on pc gamer and a promoted spot on twitch

its only got 50,000 viewers

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

dsyp :xd:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Space-Pope posted:

lol also-ran moba smite is running a $2.6million tournament with big front page articles on pc gamer and a promoted spot on twitch

its only got 50,000 viewers

is that a lot idk anything about this live streaming business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Ludwig van Halen posted:

is that a lot idk anything about this live streaming business
no, no it most assuredly is not

by contrast, dota and league both have over 100k viewers and have no tournaments going on

• Locked thread