Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Slaan posted:

Do torches do anything other than light up areas to make other runs easier?

Mostly they're just there for extra light. A few enemies react to them (some run away, others get more aggressive, Agdayne and his buddies go from neutral to hostile). Lost Sinner and Earthen Peak can be made easier with some torch-related puzzle elements, and you need to use torches to complete Dark Chasm of Old. Getting the Bone Fist and access to the generally considered terrible co-op area of the Ivory King DLC also requires some torch-lighting.

But for the most part yeah, just extra light. Can also be handy to mark out for yourself where in the Gutter you have or haven't explored yet, or to more clearly see if you're about to walk off an underwater edge to your doom in Amana (which is one of the places where it also makes enemies more aggressive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alabaster White posted:

I thought everyone was freaking out because you would have to rebuy the PC version at full price to experience the new stuff while the consoles would get it patched in?

Nope. They were actually complaining about having to do the exact same thing as the people on console. The DX9 version will have the same patches as the PS3/360 version of the game. People who want the updated graphics/whatever-else need to buy the game again on console, too (and a PS4/Xbone, if they don't have one already.)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Alabaster White posted:

I thought everyone was freaking out because you would have to rebuy the PC version at full price to experience the new stuff while the consoles would get it patched in?

The DX9 version will get all the upgrade last gen console versions get. Which means item descriptions, that new NPC and uh.. not sure if anything else, really.
The new DX11 version will be the actual Scholar of the First Sin edition with new enemy placements, graphical tweaks, improved multiplayer and the likes.

E: ninja'd

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

The DX9 version will get all the upgrade last gen console versions get. Which means item descriptions, that new NPC and uh.. not sure if anything else, really.

Usual patch balance stuff and some multiplayer changes (though not the big "6 player can duck it out in a single world" changes).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Nope. They were actually complaining about having to do the exact same thing as the people on console. The DX9 version will have the same patches as the PS3/360 version of the game. People who want the updated graphics/whatever-else need to buy the game again on console, too (and a PS4/Xbone, if they don't have one already.)

What the gently caress? Who gives a poo poo then? People were really just flipping out about having to pay money for what is effectively DLC? What entitled little shits. Nobody got this mad at Isaac: Rebirth, so what's the big problem??

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Alabaster White posted:

Nobody got this mad at Isaac: Rebirth, so what's the big problem??
Maybe not on SA, but oh yes they did. :smith:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

Everyone gets certain things added in, like item descriptions and poo poo. New graphics and multiplayer? Everyone has to pay for that.

EDIT: Beaten by a whole friggin lot.

Double Edit: Though now that it's been brought up, have they said how exactly the expanded multiplayer is going to work? Does it mean more summons? Or does it mean that the Belltowers are going to be completely batshit?

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 11, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alabaster White posted:

What the gently caress? Who gives a poo poo then? People were really just flipping out about having to pay money for what is effectively DLC? What entitled little shits. Nobody got this mad at Isaac: Rebirth, so what's the big problem??

Yes I cannot possibly understand why people would be upset about having to re-buy a game they already own and because of Japanese game company pricing tradition likely for full price. Like it's a dumb complaint and I don't agree that it's really an issue at all but you have to be willfully ignorant to not see where the people who are complaining are coming from.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Yes I cannot possibly understand why people would be upset about having to re-buy a game they already own and because of Japanese game company pricing tradition likely for full price. Like it's a dumb complaint and I don't agree that it's really an issue at all but you have to be willfully ignorant to not see where the people who are complaining are coming from.

But you don't have to buy it :confused: If you really hate it that much, you don't have to buy it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Alabaster White posted:

But you don't have to buy it :confused: If you really hate it that much, you don't have to buy it.

lol if you think this is an option for these people

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alabaster White posted:

I did not imply that was untrue don't put words in my mouth

vvv this is true either way

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 11, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

It actually has some real issues because it's going to fragment the game's online community which is already not nearly as active as it was several months ago.

Of course almost no one is actually complaining about that, they're just wailing over not getting things for free, or because they believe only PC has to pay for the upgrade (where the gently caress did this idea even come from and why does nobody do the requisite 5 seconds of research to find out it's completely false).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Of course almost no one is actually complaining about that, they're just wailing over not getting things for free, or because they believe only PC has to pay for the upgrade (where the gently caress did this idea even come from and why does nobody do the requisite 5 seconds of research to find out it's completely false).

It came from this thread because people speculate or speak from memory instead of linking sources like they should and then other people parrot the speculation as fact.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

King of Solomon posted:

:darksouls:!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How much of a pain in the dick is Vendrick with 4 Giant Souls vs 5? In other words, is it really worth the almost assuredly rage-inducing Ancient Dragon battle? I've heard some people recommend using an ascetic to get a second copy of one of the earlier souls as well, but is it even worth doing or is Vendrick about the same either way?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How much of a pain in the dick is Vendrick with 4 Giant Souls vs 5? In other words, is it really worth the almost assuredly rage-inducing Ancient Dragon battle? I've heard some people recommend using an ascetic to get a second copy of one of the earlier souls as well, but is it even worth doing or is Vendrick about the same either way?

4 soul Vendrick is fine since it's only double defense. It takes a lot longer but it's entirely possible and pretty easy.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Initially he has 32x resistances. Each soul halves that.
so with 4 souls youre at x2, double resists. So youll have to whack/dodge him twice as long.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Guys I heard that when Scholar comes out all original copies of the game will be deleted from our hard drives and we'll have to buy it again (also FROM sold the rights to Ubi, so you know it's true).

Even if most of it's second hand I think it's amusing to be hearing about negative opinions re. buying ds2 multiple times given the direction of opinion in this thread around release (to paraphrase, "I will buy Dark Souls 2 as many times as I can afford")

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Twice-as-long Vendrick is still much less of a headache than Ancient Dragon. I mean, if you've got Ancient Dragon on your bucket list anyway, then by all means fight him first. But if you'd otherwise just say screw it and skip him, then don't feel obligated to kill him for that fifth soul.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Vendrick's a lot less of a pain in the rear end than Ancient Dragon. Just do him last after you've done all the DLCs because there isn't much point before then. At that point you can probably survive one of his attacks with some health to spare, too.

Failing that, stick your head up his rear end.

No really.

Stay directly behind him, specifically just behind his left knee (behind the bent knee of whatever foot he has forward, i'm pretty sure it's his left).

His crescent sweeps can't hit you there and his overhead smash is really slow and can't track worth a poo poo.

Just don't get caught in front of him when he rotates the sword he's dragging to be parallel to the ground or yeah you'll need to reflex-dodge correctly to avoid being oneshot. It might be a double sweep too.

quote:

(also FROM sold the rights to Ubi, so you know it's true).

gently caress you, don't even joke about that.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I am very bad at this game and found it a lot easier with 5. His moves are very predictable, but it was such a long fight that he just kept killing me by attrition. I was in a rush to finish, so I just ascetic'd the black gulch bonfire and killed the giants down there again for the fifth soul.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Why would you kill Vendrick? You people are monsters! :gonk:

True, given everything I've seen in Dark Souls 1 and most of 2, the point seems to be that you're basically a monster whether you intend to be or not! But I like the play the game with the mindset that I'm not going to attack anything that isn't hostile towards me, which is why those Heide Knights are still chilling out where I found them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Killing Vendrick is really just putting him out of his misery if you speak to him in his own memories. He calls himself a fool for letting Nashandra trick him like she did.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Also to get your 5th soul for Vendrick without wanting to cut your wrists killing the dragon, just bonfire black gulch and kill the giants twice.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Why would you kill Vendrick? You people are monsters! :gonk:

True, given everything I've seen in Dark Souls 1 and most of 2, the point seems to be that you're basically a monster whether you intend to be or not! But I like the play the game with the mindset that I'm not going to attack anything that isn't hostile towards me, which is why those Heide Knights are still chilling out where I found them.

Would you want to be a mindless zombie pacing in a circle for all eternity? The dude's mind is completely gone anyway. It's pitiful what he's become when you finally reach him but it's pretty clear that you're putting him out of his misery at this point. Killing the Heide Knights is kinda mean though, which is why I (usually) don't do it. But that's more of a gameplay thing: the Heide Knights are tough enemies so the game doesn't compel you to fight them, but they have unique drops if you do.

The only really dickish thing to do in this game is to kill NPCs, especially the defenceless ones. Do it enough and you get "punished" by opening yourself up to arbiter invasions by other players.

(don't ask me why Licia counts as a defenceless NPC. The person in question tries to kill you multiple times throughout the game, even if it's you who starts the fight if you opt to kill them the "proper" way).

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Renaissance Robot posted:

Guys I heard that when Scholar comes out all original copies of the game will be deleted from our hard drives and we'll have to buy it again (also FROM sold the rights to Ubi, so you know it's true).
It's true, it also happens if your death counters goes above 1000 now, to weed out the filthy casuls. And then a FROM employee comes to your house to point and laugh at you, which is awesome.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Even if most of it's second hand I think it's amusing to be hearing about negative opinions re. buying ds2 multiple times given the direction of opinion in this thread around release (to paraphrase, "I will buy Dark Souls 2 as many times as I can afford")
I very likely won't buy it because so far they've done a poo poo job to tell me why it would be worth it for sane people who already have (finished) the game. If it's meant for people who've never bought it before (like nextgen console owners) then that's cool but not for me. The "i bought this game 73 times!" people weird me out a bit.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
DS2 has a few vestiges of abandoned game mechanics in it. For instance, the mini-bosses that you encounter around the map. The Pursuers were supposed to be the centerpiece of this idea, showing up to ambush you in various places, but they got de-emphasised in the final product. You also have enemies like the mace-wielding Old Knight, the Heide Knights (who don't strike first), and the various red enemies and NPC invaders throughout the world.

Then there's the torch mechanics which honestly I think the game is better off without. "You have to fight one-handed here because reasons" is what it boils down to. Especially the situations like the Sinner's Rise where rolling in water forces you to walk back to the previous sconce checkpoint to re-ignite your torch. The game shouldn't give you a bunch of combat tools and then suddenly take some away from you for no reason, at least not more than once as a unique gimmick. Power stancing is a much more effective version of what I think they were trying to go for: you have to level further to powerstance a pair of weapons than you would to just wield them normally, and you also lose the ability to block or parry while powerstance is active. So you can be flexible and defensive or you can be a specialized glass cannon. You trade off one set of advantages and disadvantages for another, which is good. Torches just take options away without really giving you any new ones.

HP hollowing and SM are still things that I'm not exactly wild about though. Performing match making based on a list of areas visited so far would have accomplished the same sort of thing as SM I think (preventing twinks from killing new characters without recourse). Sure you could power-level to 50 STR in Forest of Fallen Giants and then oneshot people with a single thrust of your +3 straight sword, but that's incredibly tedious to do without cheating. DS1 at least has the nice property that there isn't much of a consequence for dying in the same area over and over again, whereas both SM and the HP hollow system permanently punish you for it. It's funny that the end-end game achievement of getting all four crowns basically just restores you to more or less the DS1 situation: you drop souls on death but you don't lose max HP. Sure you also remain human and can therefore still summon, but is that really such a big difference?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

DS2 has a few vestiges of abandoned game mechanics in it. For instance, the mini-bosses that you encounter around the map. The Pursuers were supposed to be the centerpiece of this idea, showing up to ambush you in various places, but they got de-emphasised in the final product. You also have enemies like the mace-wielding Old Knight, the Heide Knights (who don't strike first), and the various red enemies and NPC invaders throughout the world.

Aside from the Pursuer, I wouldn't consider any of those vestiges of the ambush encounter thingy. BP enemy variants, NPC invaders, and just straight up tougher but one-time enemies were a thing in Dark and Demon's both.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

(don't ask me why Licia counts as a defenceless NPC. The person in question tries to kill you multiple times throughout the game, even if it's you who starts the fight if you opt to kill them the "proper" way).

Licia is a weird one, because if you rip the usurper's model out, it's an entirely different person, just with the same clothes. Prolly just a bit of laziness though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd have been less disappointed with the pursuer if they hadn't made such a big deal of it in the late stage press demos. Maybe it was bad internal communication causing an essentially cancelled element to get talked about too much, maybe they got right up to release night and went "poo poo, we've barely even started on this". Either way, I got hype for a practically nonexistent feature.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Flytrap posted:

Licia is a weird one, because if you rip the usurper's model out, it's an entirely different person, just with the same clothes. Prolly just a bit of laziness though.

Really? I dunno, the face looks a lot like Licia to me, and you get a good look under the hood if you parry her

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

Really? I dunno, the face looks a lot like Licia to me, and you get a good look under the hood if you parry her

It's mostly the hair. Licia is a brunette, the usurper is a blond. You can't really tell with the red glow. If I'm remembering the screenshots right the usurper kinda looks like Anastacia from 1.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr Dog posted:

Would you want to be a mindless zombie pacing in a circle for all eternity? The dude's mind is completely gone anyway. It's pitiful what he's become when you finally reach him but it's pretty clear that you're putting him out of his misery at this point. Killing the Heide Knights is kinda mean though, which is why I (usually) don't do it. But that's more of a gameplay thing: the Heide Knights are tough enemies so the game doesn't compel you to fight them, but they have unique drops if you do.

It just seemed like such a malicious thing to do, the poor guy seems so obviously "gone" that whatever WAS Vendrick is long since dead, and I'd just be attacking an animated sack of bones - there's no misery to really put him out of, guy is long gone already.

That said, others have said that with certain DLC items you can actually speak to him/access his memory, so maybe that's not entirely accurate. It is certainly the way I feel about it though - I saw the guy and as soon as I saw he wasn't going to attack, I just wanted to leave the poor bastard alone.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's true, it also happens if your death counters goes above 1000 now, to weed out the filthy casuls. And then a FROM employee comes to your house to point and laugh at you, which is awesome.

FROM Employee: Haha you hit 1000 deaths, let's see how far you got bef.... Majula? :stonk:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It just seemed like such a malicious thing to do, the poor guy seems so obviously "gone" that whatever WAS Vendrick is long since dead, and I'd just be attacking an animated sack of bones - there's no misery to really put him out of, guy is long gone already.

If you kill him you get to wear his hat

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Regy Rusty posted:

If you kill him you get to wear his hat

Dark Souls.txt

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Old Dragonslayer not included

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

FROM Employee: Haha you hit 1000 deaths, let's see how far you got bef.... Majula? :stonk:

cmon man those pigs have a really weird hitbox ok :( and i keep falling down the hole while i'm backing away from them

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Old Dragonslayer not included

:qq:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Can you get the NG+ and ++ spells from Wellager with an Ascetic, or do you actually have to clear the game like 2.75 times? I mean I'll probably do that anyway at some point, but they are the only achievements I'm missing at this point and I have a compulsion to have all 3 games at 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Can you get the NG+ and ++ spells from Wellager with an Ascetic, or do you actually have to clear the game like 2.75 times? I mean I'll probably do that anyway at some point, but they are the only achievements I'm missing at this point and I have a compulsion to have all 3 games at 100%.

It has to be legit ng+/+2.