Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Gaz-L posted:

Shouldn't he be tweeting Melissa Whatshername?

Krysten Ritter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

Krysten Ritter.

No, not her, the AKA Jessica Jones showrunner. DeKnight is just in charge of Daredevil, I thought?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gaz-L posted:

No, not her, the AKA Jessica Jones showrunner. DeKnight is just in charge of Daredevil, I thought?

Yeah, Melissa Rosenberg is the showrunner.

DeKnight has actually said a fair few times that he doesn't know much about plans for Daredevil beyond his own series, so my sense is that it'll be more self-contained than the rest of the Defenders project.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I liked Agent Carter too, it wasn't brilliant but it was a pretty fun first episode (aside from her friend dying or whatever). One thing which I thought was a bit silly was her treatment in the SSR, since from Cap 1 she had a lot of respect from the soldiers. I suppose it's along the lines of how women were treated at the time, though, no matter how much they proved themselves. The interactions between her and Jarvis were great too.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just watched the One Shot and I can easily see that one shot being the "end" of the series. I wouldn't be surprised if the end of Agent Carter has Howard lobbying Washington to start SHIELD. Carter taking missions on the sly is probably going to be an ongoing plot of the series.

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah, Melissa Rosenberg is the showrunner.

DeKnight has actually said a fair few times that he doesn't know much about plans for Daredevil beyond his own series, so my sense is that it'll be more self-contained than the rest of the Defenders project.

I mean he could be lying but most of the solo movies were pretty solo and the Avengers movie handled the story of how they all came together. I'm sure the Defenders' series will do something similar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I just watched the One Shot and I can easily see that one shot being the "end" of the series. I wouldn't be surprised if the end of Agent Carter has Howard lobbying Washington to start SHIELD. Carter taking missions on the sly is probably going to be an ongoing plot of the series.

I mean he could be lying but most of the solo movies were pretty solo and the Avengers movie handled the story of how they all came together. I'm sure the Defenders' series will do something similar.

I think there will be more connections between the tv shows than there was between the movies just because Luke Cage has a ton of history with both Jessica Jones and Iron Fist, but Daredevil sorta being its own thing until Defenders would make sense too, he was always a loner.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I liked Agent Carter too, it wasn't brilliant but it was a pretty fun first episode (aside from her friend dying or whatever). One thing which I thought was a bit silly was her treatment in the SSR, since from Cap 1 she had a lot of respect from the soldiers. I suppose it's along the lines of how women were treated at the time, though, no matter how much they proved themselves. The interactions between her and Jarvis were great too.

It makes more sense if you think of the SSR as having been reorganized and turned into something more akin to the FBI after hostilities officially ended (sort of like how the OSS morphed into the CIA). None of the guys she's working with now knew her during the war (they even mention that one or two of them were Pacific Theater vets), so they act like typical WWII veterans of the era, casually dismissive of the woman in the office. I imagine we'll see a big difference in how, say, the former Howling Commandos treat her, since they spent a lot of time with her during the war and have seen what she can do first hand.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They've also emphasized it with the radio play, but the general public just thinks of her as Cap. America's fling, and not someone who was actually there and contributing to the war effort.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AbsolutelySane posted:

It makes more sense if you think of the SSR as having been reorganized and turned into something more akin to the FBI after hostilities officially ended (sort of like how the OSS morphed into the CIA). None of the guys she's working with now knew her during the war (they even mention that one or two of them were Pacific Theater vets), so they act like typical WWII veterans of the era, casually dismissive of the woman in the office. I imagine we'll see a big difference in how, say, the former Howling Commandos treat her, since they spent a lot of time with her during the war and have seen what she can do first hand.

She's also a superior officer with the soldiers (and even then, one of them still needs to get punched.) At the SSR she's technically equal, but that's 40s women in the workplace equal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It was also pointed out in the TVIV thread that Carter actually benefits from being thought of as little more than a sectary because it enables her to hear things that she wouldn't normally be able to hear.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

twistedmentat posted:

It was also pointed out in the TVIV thread that Carter actually benefits from being thought of as little more than a sectary because it enables her to hear things that she wouldn't normally be able to hear.

Except that if they acknowledged her insight and experience instead of dismissing her NoNuts style, she would be hearing that poo poo to begin with. TVIV, I swear.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

My superpower is the ability to move goalposts with my mind.

hahahaha, genuine belly laugh there sir.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Was Taters posted:

Except that if they acknowledged her insight and experience instead of dismissing her NoNuts style, she would be hearing that poo poo to begin with. TVIV, I swear.

That's not how it worked in 1946, especially in an office where they don't know her or care about her experience or accomplishments at all. Was Taters, I swear.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

mikeraskol posted:

That's not how it worked in 1946, especially in an office where they don't know her or care about her experience or accomplishments at all. Was Taters, I swear.

She's not 'ACTUALLY BENEFITTING' from their sexist stupidity, you moron. She's just working around it. It is still a loving OBSTACLE.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Was Taters posted:

She's not 'ACTUALLY BENEFITTING' from their sexist stupidity, you moron. She's just working around it. It is still a loving OBSTACLE.

Oh ok, well that's obvious. I thought you meant something else with your post. My apologies. Twisted's wording was poor but I assumed his post was about how Peggy used their sexist stupidity to her advantage, which provided more entertainment in the show not that it was saying their treatment of her was to her benefit.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 11, 2015

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

mikeraskol posted:

Oh ok, well that's obvious. I thought you meant something else with your post. My apologies.

OK I'll stop yelling at you. It's just a crazy way to pitch it. Yes it makes them dumber, but their dumbness is the problem in the first place.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh, if she was a dude she would still have to work around the SSR as she is literally helping someone indicted on treason, withholding information about his leaving. As it would be hella suspicious how she knows all of this information about Starks weapons and tech.

Not that it's "good" but her being able to blend in and be percieved as not important is one of the most important things a spy does

Which is why she told white knight dude to knock it off as him standing up for her does no good to either of them.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 11, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

First good look at Other-Amell's Firestorm costume:

Vixen getting CW online animated series, seemingly set in the Arrowverse:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Guess they are giving the former Young Justice studio some work with the Vixen thing?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
It's too bad about the tits.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ToastyPotato posted:

Guess they are giving the former Young Justice studio some work with the Vixen thing?

Looks like it. If I had to guess as well, this might be DC's answer to Marvel's planned Netflix mini-series. A showcase for an even more obscure heroine on a digital platform, nevertheless set within the same universe, presumably to expand things within spending as much money.

On the one hand, its kinda annoying that DC's first superhero show specifically about a female hero in decades is going to be animated in an otherwise live action universe, but on the other hand, its going to be the first African superheroine show out of either of the big two at all, which is actually a pretty decent move on DC's part. Hopefully it'll be able to get broadcast outside of CW Seed somehow, because I live in the UK, and I managed to get my sister and father both hooked on the Flash - so it'd be nice to expose them to Vixen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astro Nut posted:

... DC's first superhero show specifically about a female hero in decades ...

Sure, Birds of Prey was only about 10 years ago, wasn't it? :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also they're working on Supergirl so its kind of a race to see which comes out first.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

muscles like this? posted:

Also they're working on Supergirl so its kind of a race to see which comes out first.

Considering Supergirl isn't even cast yet and Vixen already has artwork for the cartoon, probably Vixen. Casting a VA is going to be a billion times easier than casting Supergirl, especially if you considering Vixen was already in some cartoons (Young Justice? Something else?) and they can reuse one of those if they are feeling particularly lazy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, its also only January, which is plenty of time to put a show together.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

Sure, Birds of Prey was only about 10 years ago, wasn't it? :v:

Wait that's a thing?

one google search later

Oh my god that was a thing. I don't think that even aired this side of the Atlantic - I certainly never heard about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What a terrible character to give a cartoon to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CW Seed shows are usually just shorts. The animated Vixen series will probably just be a handful of 5-10 minute episodes, not a full on animated series.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

Wait that's a thing?

one google search later

Oh my god that was a thing. I don't think that even aired this side of the Atlantic - I certainly never heard about it.
Weird parts of Birds of Prey:

-Gotham is called New Gotham for some reason
-Everything is framed in terms of metahumans. The super villains were all apparently metahumans, and Batman was the one who kept them in check. So, in this world, Batman's basically a Sentinel.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
- Metahumans are secret and have their own subculture (that revolves around one bar apparently)
- It's version of Roulette was a scarred misogynist (and male)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there a different Birds of Prey show that never made it to air?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Weird parts of Birds of Prey:

-Gotham is called New Gotham for some reason
-Everything is framed in terms of metahumans. The super villains were all apparently metahumans, and Batman was the one who kept them in check. So, in this world, Batman's basically a Sentinel.

I never watched it, but it also seemed to be a really weird hodgepodge of multiple DC continuities on top of all the weird original stuff: main DCU (Barbara Gordon was Batgirl, gets crippled by Joker and becomes Oracle); Earth-2 (Huntress is Batman and Catwoman's daughter); the Burton films (Catwoman was a metahuman); and the DCAU (Harley Quinn exists, Joker is voiced by Mark Hamill).

Oh, yeah, and its Black Canary was just a teenager with psychic powers, who later turned out to be the daughter of the real Black Canary.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

Wait that's a thing?

one google search later

Assuming you mean the side where we spell colour the correct way - like the QUEEN - then it did air here. Granted it was on the weird kinda-Toonami channel that shared time with Trouble on cable and Sky back in the day, but it aired.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ToastyPotato posted:

Considering Supergirl isn't even cast yet and Vixen already has artwork for the cartoon, probably Vixen. Casting a VA is going to be a billion times easier than casting Supergirl, especially if you considering Vixen was already in some cartoons (Young Justice? Something else?) and they can reuse one of those if they are feeling particularly lazy.
(They probably wouldn't do this, but) If they plan on having a live-action version of her appear on the live-action shows at some point, it may be cool if they just hired the VA based on who they eventually want to see in the shows.

(It may also be a terrible idea because good live-action actors are not guaranteed to be good VAs in any way shape or form, but hey)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Assuming you mean the side where we spell colour the correct way - like the QUEEN - then it did air here. Granted it was on the weird kinda-Toonami channel that shared time with Trouble on cable and Sky back in the day, but it aired.

I do indeed.

Though by a 'kinda-Toonami' channel, do you mean CNX? I know it was only around briefly, and I certainly only browsed through it a few times before it got replaced.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

I do indeed.

Though by a 'kinda-Toonami' channel, do you mean CNX? I know it was only around briefly, and I certainly only browsed through it a few times before it got replaced.

I think that may have been it. I mainly remember that it aired Birds of Prey, lovely action movies, DBZ and Cowboy Bebop.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

(They probably wouldn't do this, but) If they plan on having a live-action version of her appear on the live-action shows at some point, it may be cool if they just hired the VA based on who they eventually want to see in the shows.

(It may also be a terrible idea because good live-action actors are not guaranteed to be good VAs in any way shape or form, but hey)

Just use Gina Torres. Use her for all things.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

I never watched it, but it also seemed to be a really weird hodgepodge of multiple DC continuities on top of all the weird original stuff: main DCU (Barbara Gordon was Batgirl, gets crippled by Joker and becomes Oracle); Earth-2 (Huntress is Batman and Catwoman's daughter); the Burton films (Catwoman was a metahuman); and the DCAU (Harley Quinn exists, Joker is voiced by Mark Hamill).

Oh, yeah, and its Black Canary was just a teenager with psychic powers, who later turned out to be the daughter of the real Black Canary.
Wikipedia wasn't as big of a thing back then, but the show watches like someone read the wiki of characters and then just walked by the licensing department. There is this weird mix of pretty deep cuts combined with a complete lack of nuance or understanding for the source material.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fishylungs posted:

Just use Gina Torres. Use her for all things.

I would sort of dig it if the forthcoming MCU Captain Marvel movie pulled a fast one and cast Gina Torres as Monica Rambeau. It'll never happen but it might be funny to see if the Carol Corps would have as apoplectic a reaction to it as your stereotypical CBR message board nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I would sort of dig it if the forthcoming MCU Captain Marvel movie pulled a fast one and cast Gina Torres as Monica Rambeau. It'll never happen but it might be funny to see if the Carol Corps would have as apoplectic a reaction to it as your stereotypical CBR message board nerds.

I think the bigger issue is that Monica is like the 5th most well-known Captain Marvel.