Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Metrication posted:

lol wtf is this

if you leave your phone in a starbucks, you wouldn't be surprised if someone immediately pawned it and you never saw it again, and if someone actually got in touch with you and returned it you'd probably give them a twenty in thanks

leaving your phone in an uber works the same way

free market bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just watched the pop idol black mirror last night, it's weird to think that there's people who get a [economic] boner seeing stuff like dude paying for his toothpaste by the credit/mL

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

but perhaps all boners are economic boners... :biotruths:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

if you leave your phone in a starbucks, you wouldn't be surprised if someone immediately pawned it and you never saw it again, and if someone actually got in touch with you and returned it you'd probably give them a twenty in thanks

free market bitch

the difference is that in the starbucks example, some random shitlord who just happened to be there is presumably the one who found your phone

if a starbucks employee found it and turned it in to the manager, presumably you wouldn't give the manager and owner a twenty as thanks for not literally stealing from their customers

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

free market bitch

this kind of thinking is how people like sagebrush perform mental gymnastics to do bad things on their own in a sort of "well what did you expect" way

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

now what we SHOULD do when someone steals something is take that someone and tie them up on the roof of your house for a month and...

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Mido posted:

now what we SHOULD do when someone steals something is take that someone and tie them up on the roof of your house for a month and...

ah yes, that is what the noble savage does

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

the difference is that in the starbucks example, some random shitlord who just happened to be there is presumably the one who found your phone

if a starbucks employee found it and turned it in to the manager, presumably you wouldn't give the manager and owner a twenty as thanks for not literally stealing from their customers

what if the manager stopped working, got in her car and drove to your apartment?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

it's like Uber but for arbitration!!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

theflyingexecutive posted:

what if the manager stopped working, got in her car and drove to your apartment?

But the only reason this exists as a need is because Uber drivers have no central point of dispatch/admin, because they are contractors lolol. Any actual business has a central point where they can store lost property, the manager doesn't have to do that poo poo and never will.

The whole issue with Uber is that it's only predictable on the happy path, you get in a vehicle, get out at the right place, and money changes hands. Anything else and it's libertopia with people just doing whatever they please. Violent passengers, violent drivers, car damage? You on your own mate.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"thanks for taking my thousand dollar piece of electronics I use every twelve seconds and going out of your way to make sure I got it back, but I'm not going to give you any money, not because I'm a supreme tightass, but because I expect that of any near-minimum-wage member of the proletariat. I can rest easy knowing that if I get too drunk on 15 craft cocktails I can count on some underclass servant to protect my personal property for free"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

But the only reason this exists as a need is because Uber drivers have no central point of dispatch/admin, because they are contractors lolol. Any actual business has a central point where they can store lost property, the manager doesn't have to do that poo poo and never will.

there are plenty of licensed cab drivers who don't operate under a dispatcher, this is not an uber-exclusive problem

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
if you expect compensation in return for not doing something bad you're a terrible person, sorry

if you don't try and compensate someone for going out of their way to give you a hand then you're also a terrible person

sorry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
would it be ok if I took uber rides in cities where its banned and then got the license plate and agreed to not report them for a cash payment in the exact amount of my Uber ride?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
do exactly that and let me know how it works out for you

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

there are plenty of licensed cab drivers who don't operate under a dispatcher, this is not an uber-exclusive problem

in that case they usually turn it in to the police, or in the case of dc (where most taxi drivers are independent), to the taxi commission - both of which have special divisions for dealing with lost property. the dc taxi commission will even ship your stuff to you

incidentally, this is probably one of the specific reasons places like nyc require uber to have a physical presence in the places they're serving

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

would it be ok if I took uber rides in cities where its banned and then got the license plate and agreed to not report them for a cash payment in the exact amount of my Uber ride?

blackmailing is an essential component of the truly free market as envisioned by ludwig von mises

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
time to apply the uber formula to other industries:
- a body that oversees but does not have significant political power
- has major barriers to entry.
- cost to those using said service is high because of the intentionally limited supply
- uses an app
- requires the "contractors" to be smug

So uber but for legal advice.

- no law school education needed
- set rate legal advice ($25 per hour, of which 30% goes to uber but for lawyers)
- is not bound by the law society or the bar, because they are not a law firm but a technology company
- uses an app so people can just tap on their location, and an uber lawyer (but they're not lawyers, since it's a technology company) will spend their own money to drive their car to the client. First one there gets to provide legal advice, the rest get nothing.

where do I sign to get my 50 billion dollars

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
lawyr

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

but they aren't calling themselves lawyers because they are a technology company

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in a lot of ways financial advisors are already set up that way
  • barely salaried employees but huge bonuses for good sales
  • dropped by company if they're not productive enough
  • no guarantee of performance based on their advice
  • wildly different experience based solely on who your advisor is
  • certification [CFP] is highly recommended but not legally required

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
fine, bearristr (mascot is a bear in a three piece suit)

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
lol if u expect a jitney cab driver to waste time and gas bringing your idiot phone back to your idiot self

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

seems they can barely be bothered to pick up paying passengers

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

but they aren't calling themselves lawyers because they are a technology company

ianl.com

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

i-anal.com

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

time to apply the uber formula to other industries:
- a body that oversees but does not have significant political power
- has major barriers to entry.
- cost to those using said service is high because of the intentionally limited supply
- uses an app
- requires the "contractors" to be smug

So uber but for legal advice.

- no law school education needed
- set rate legal advice ($25 per hour, of which 30% goes to uber but for lawyers)
- is not bound by the law society or the bar, because they are not a law firm but a technology company
- uses an app so people can just tap on their location, and an uber lawyer (but they're not lawyers, since it's a technology company) will spend their own money to drive their car to the client. First one there gets to provide legal advice, the rest get nothing.

where do I sign to get my 50 billion dollars

don't forget "actively breaking the law every step of the way because it is super illegal for non-licensed non-professionals to do the thing that they do"

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Thesoro posted:

lol if u expect a jitney cab driver to waste time and gas bringing your idiot phone back to your idiot self

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
yes total stranger please waste your time and money to return my loving idiot baby device to me for no compensation because i am a literal child who doesnt deserve material possessions

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

cool tip chat

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Poniard posted:

every time i want to make something with oculus rift i always get told "noone will buy that" or on the other end "the military probably alreayd has something like that" so noone helps me with my bullshit

google cardboard is better than it has any right to be

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sure, only because the name Google Glass was already taken

it's a piece of cardboard (with some lenses in them that actually do the thing)

it's like that whole thing with "3d printer prints copies of itself #whoa #wow #singularity" where all it can do is print a few of its structural elements and not uuuh any of its parts that do anything more interesting than just sit there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh i still get a nickel's worth of impressed ooh and ahh when i show some newbie the various 3d printed replacement parts on one of our 3d printers

"you mean it makes parts for itself???"

yes, like every machine tool that has existed since ancient times, it can make a subset of parts for itself

(a lathe can actually make itself into a better lathe which i think is p. cool)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

eh i still get a nickel's worth of impressed ooh and ahh when i show some newbie the various 3d printed replacement parts on one of our 3d printers

"you mean it makes parts for itself???"

yes, like every machine tool that has existed since ancient times, it can make a subset of parts for itself

(a lathe can actually make itself into a better lathe which i think is p. cool)

It would be pretty cool if you could make yourself into a better poster lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

It would be pretty cool if you could make yourself into a better poster lol

there's a second-level joke here about me being a tool that you didn't think to include. B-

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

ayn rand hand job posted:

was he a street walking cheetah

:D

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I love it when people tell me that 3d printers are going to revolutionize world logistics because instead of getting cheap plastic crap from china we can make cheap plastic crap at home

lol wake me up when 3d printers can make cheap plastic crap cheaply

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

yes total stranger please waste your time and money to return my loving idiot baby device to me for no compensation because i am a literal child who doesnt deserve material possessions

hey, maybe thats why real cabs are subject to real regulations about what they're supposed to do with other people's personal property, as opposed to stealing it and selling it off. maybe that's why jitney cabs with no physical presence in the area are bad, even! anyone who chose to drive for uber doesn't get to complain about spending a bit of gas on returning lost goods because it's an expected part of the job

and so is this. surprise, being a professional driver is really lovely and being an independent contractor professional driver who can't rely on their company to help them out is even worse!

quote:

Last Saturday, I picked up 3 girls. The one that sat in the back right seat, rolled down the window and stuck her head out throughout the ride, while the girl that sat next to me kept me busy with conversation, apparently to distract me. When we got to their destination, she helped the girl that stuck her head out, out of the car and left.

I got another request and when I got there, the passengers did not get in on the side the girl stuck her head out and told me there was vomit on that side. I came out and saw the vomit ALL OVER THE OUTSIDE OF MY CAR! but the riders said I should take them to where they wanted to go because it was 3am and did not want to wait for another Uber driver.

After I dropped the passengers, called a mobile detailing company and they came out in the middle of the night where I parked to disinfect and do a preliminary clean and came back at daylight to finish the cleaning. I sent Uber photographs, the bill for $65 last Saturday Jan 3, 2015, have followed up twice and got NO RESPONSE till this moment of typing here.

Please share your experience and as to whether Uber will reimburse me for the cleaning and 5 hours that I was offline. Thanks.

quote:

I was driving a set of three drunk passengers early in the morning and the inevitable happened. A passenger vomited in the back seat on the door and out the window. She tried to get it out the window but her vomit messed up the cloth on the door and her cloth seat, and also the window and exterior door that were easy to clean in comparison to the seats.

It all happened at 2am and instead of waiting for that smell to become permanent I took matters into my own hands. I took a quick picture of my vomit streaked car and I got the necessary cleaning supplies and enduring my own squeamishness to vomit spent over an hour cleaning my car in the early morning. Then I spent the next five days trying to get a response from the uber email.

Uber claims they will compensate any cleaning fee up to $100 if a passenger "spills" or "makes a mess" in your car. I asked that they compensate me for my time and materials expecting to get at least $50 in support being that cabs charge a flat $100 anytime anyone vomits. Instead uber has said my case does not merit any reimbursement or compensation. I guess they wanted a picture of the interior (they never said that, I'm just assuming that could be the only plausible reason) but to get there I had to clean the exterior. By that time I was suited up in what must have looked like a hazmat suit and too nauseated to think of taking another picture. One should be enough right? We are "partners" with uber at the end of the day...???

I called my local car wash just to see what they would have charged. They quoted me a few of $199.00 to clean any bodily fluids from a car. Uber claims to have your back incase the worst happens yet their best efforts to compensate a driver would theoretically only pay half the fee. That is assumeing that you can get them to pay. Uber saw a clear photo albeit at night and claim they see no mess that warrants cleaning... Maybe next time I'll just continue giving rides in a soiled car and let the customers complain. Maybe then uber would listen.

quote:

Have any of you encountered someone throwing up in your car?

I had someone throw up in my car but mostly on the outside door panel but got some inside. Guy and his wife/gf was a douche bag. I gave him 3 towels to clean himself up and took about 30 minute to get home. I know I was not suppose to ask for clean up fee but I did. She said she had $20 but refused to give me even that. She said she can only give me $5 but I had no change. Guy was laughing at the whole situation. I drove off and had the meter running for 3 miles. She texted me asking why the meter was still running. I had other cars stare at me with disgusted look.

This was around 1:00AM so I was not going to wait until in the morning to clean my car and went to self wash hose down my car. They do not offer receipt so I just ate up to cost to clean my car.

Does uber expect us to wait until the morning to clean the car and get a receipt from car wash to get reimbursed?

quote:

I was working the "late shift" last night and a rider who didn't appear intoxicated to me puked all over my car...even got me on the arm as I was handing her a plastic bag. I got my car cleaned this morning which cost me nearly $250. Have you ever had someone hurl in your car before? What was the aftermath? Did the matter get resolved amicably? What precautions do you take aside from the obvious "barf bags"...?

quote:

dang, popped that puke cherry. sorry to hear that. To get hit with it on your arm..dang x2

some supplies to carry in the vehicle for newbies

small paper bag with loop handles in the back pockets of the seats(stays open for them tipsy folks), roll of select a size paper towels in the trunk and the almighty anti-bacterial hand sanitizer in the glove.

total night bummer though. Uber on! ;)

quote:

umm... I had a passenger two passengers in a group of 5 puked on my car two nights ago, I brought the car to wash, 200 dollars later and my car smelled like a petting zoo from all the disinfectants they used. I emailed Uber repeatedly and haven't had a reply yet. It's almost 48 hrs and I sort of in panic mode right now...

quote:

Caution to newbies doing this full time: you cannot write off lost rides due to accidents, puke, etc. Therefore, if you are doing this full time, make sure you have a vehicle which can quickly be turned around and put back on the streets. Invest in WeatherTek mats and leather seats or really good canvas covers.

quote:

No way in Hell that vomit smell EVER comes out of a car interior.

And no way in Hell that $250 makes it worth my while to have my car sidelined for a week waiting for it to air out.

Just dont let people in your car with open containers of anything (soda and food included) or in an obvious drunken state.

gently caress Uber and their 'everyone is cool' policy. Drunks can walk and not get their DUIs.

quote:

I highly recommend the puke bags from Amazon. First they deny - no I'm fine, with their heads hung low.... that's when you get the bag out. Next, they put their hands over their mouth... and say, no i'm fine... you better have the bag in their hand by then.... pull over.. if they can't get out... tell them... PUKE IN THE BAG.... toss that puppy as soon as you can.. get them out of your car fast. Their head is spinning.

quote:

I had the lovely joy of picking up a lady who decided to puke the second she got into my car.

In the end, she had to leave in an ambulance, so I had to cancel the ride and never got a chance to officially start the ride.

Anyone ever had this experience? Will Uber pay to clean my car?

quote:

Great. Totally drunk & sloppy, late 30s jerkoffs in my car. Started eating hoagies after a wawa trip in the backseat. Heard a can crack open and an uh oh, there is beer everywhere. Can I just get the backseat professionally shampooed? Or do I have to get a full detail? I hit cleaning fee. Feel bad for the guy that ordered the ride because he was fine. It was his 2 loser friends that were nightmares. 2 minutes into the ride, they bring up anal sex and then when the guy that spilled the beer gets out of my car, he asks me for a blow job. Yeah, complete slobs. NO OPEN CONTAINERS IN MY CAR! My car now smells disgusting. How ironic bc the first thing they said when they got into my car was a compliment on how great it smelled. Sorry for the rant, I'm so mad.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
honestly if i forgot my phone or whatever in a cab and the driver brought it back to me id give him a 20 or something even if i didnt have to cause thats just the nice thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cab/uber/whatever protip: when exiting a vehicle, leave the door open until you've done a wallet/keys/phone check, they won't drive away until you shut it

• Locked thread