Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
drat that must be awful. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
A completely unrelated question, does anyone have any recommendations on how to get a good grasp of meter? I think I get it on a purely intellectual basis but I think it would be better if I intuitively could feel/hear the different meters, for example 6/8 from 3/4 (if that's possible?). I've been looking at some examples of meter on YouTube but they haven't been that great.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Quick question again. Apparently, the P35 only has support for a sustain pedal. The next step up is then the P105 which supports all three. But at that cost, and especially including the need for a stand, the price jumps straight up to that of the cheapest Arius. So my question is: would this be an issue at all as a complete beginner, or can you get by pretty well without the other two pedals, at least long enough to get your money's worth out of the thing? I plan on going the classical piano route, so if this is something detrimental, I might as well spend the extra cash outright and save myself additional cost in the long run. Granted, my skill level in music is pretty low. I haven't really done anything serious since playing in the school band in primary school.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I'd say you really don't need the two other pedals until you're a good deal more advanced. The changes they make are very subtle (at least to my ear,) so pieces that use them won't be that noticeably different to the ear (especially on a digital.) On top of that, sheet music that actually mark the other pedals is the exception rather than the rule. Only piece I've seen so far is the first movement of Moonlight that has a couple of Una Corda's.

E: Come to think of it I think I read somewhere that the two extra pedals on most low-mid end digitals don't use separate sampling, but changes the standard samples in stead. I may be misremembering though.

Joda fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 30, 2014

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Joda posted:

I'd say you really don't need the two other pedals until you're a good deal more advanced. The changes they make are very subtle (at least to my ear,) so pieces that use them won't be that noticeably different to the ear (especially on a digital.) On top of that, sheet music that actually mark the other pedals is the exception rather than the rule. Only piece I've seen so far is the first movement of Moonlight that has a couple of Una Corda's.

E: Come to think of it I think I read somewhere that the two extra pedals on most low-mid end digitals don't use separate sampling, but changes the standard samples in stead. I may be misremembering though.

Thanks. I'll aim for the P35 as planned, then. By the time I get to advanced levels I've most likely moved into a bigger space anyway.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joda posted:

I guess a more nuanced way to put it is to check with your neighbours before getting it, to see how the sound insulation is between the floors. I'm currently in a dispute with my upstairs neighbour because she starts hammering her floor if I play for more than like 30 minutes at a time, and she suddenly believes that playing at 5:30/6 PM is unreasonable despite this never being a problem before. I'm not saying it's unreasonable of her, since the sound insulation in my building is awful, but I wish I'd checked this before I got it.

I play piano pretty regularly, but I would want to kill my neighbor if I had to listen to them play at any hour of the day. Having a piano in an apartment building where other people can hear you is massively inconsiderate and I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. Even if you're playing during the day or the early evening, your neighbors might not want to hear it. It might not be illegal or anything, but that doesn't make it right to think they should just deal with it or whatever.

I'm not directing this at you specifically, even though you definitely should have checked beforehand, but it just blows my mind that people do not consider things like that. Even if you check, a lot of people may be too nervous or polite to say they would mind it. They may not even know how loud it gets or what it would be like.

Bottom line is if you're going to get a piano then get a digital and a nice set of headphones until you have your own place.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

What a sad world this would be if everyone who lives in a reasonably big city would just stop to make music in their home.

I know at least 40 people who play an acoustic instrument and live in an apartment, and only 2 of them ever had someone complain about it. If your walls aren't made from paper, it's not that big of a deal.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

cebrail posted:

What a sad world this would be if everyone who lives in a reasonably big city would just stop to make music in their home.

I know at least 40 people who play an acoustic instrument and live in an apartment, and only 2 of them ever had someone complain about it. If your walls aren't made from paper, it's not that big of a deal.

Most people are too shy or polite to say anything about it. That shouldn't stop someone from being considerate. Not everyone wants to listen to other people's music, and I think everyone should be respectful of that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Every time you watch TV, are you using headphones? Have you learned ASL lest your neighbors be tormented by your conversations?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Every time you watch TV, are you using headphones? Have you learned ASL lest your neighbors be tormented by your conversations?

I wear headphones anytime I do anything on my computer whether that be watching movies or listening to music. My digital piano has a nice set of headphones that I use. I live in a very old duplex and sound travels easily. I work from home and stay up late, so I do what I can to minimize what noise I make past a certain time. It's not that difficult and it doesn't diminish my quality of life in any way.

I don't know why you're being sarcastic. I've lived in buildings where people were loud and obnoxious, or didn't know what they did carried through the complex. It really sucks when your schedule doesn't align with "normal" hours and you're kept up or disturbed by poo poo like that.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 30, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, that's why you talk to your neighbors and ask about their schedule. If you live in a shitpile with cardboard walls, and it's so bad you can't even watch TV, then okay, don't get a piano. That doesn't mean everybody without a freestanding house shouldn't be allowed music.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, that's why you talk to your neighbors and ask about their schedule. If you live in a shitpile with cardboard walls, and it's so bad you can't even watch TV, then okay, don't get a piano. That doesn't mean everybody without a freestanding house shouldn't be allowed music.

It's not that people shouldn't be allowed music, it's that it's loving inconsiderate. Not everyone will say they aren't cool with it because, as I said, they are too shy or too polite. I know plenty of people like that. They hate their neighbors for how loud and inconsiderate they are, but won't say anything to change that. It's great that you don't care about people like that, but they exist.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 30, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My opinion is if you live in a terrible building where you can hear every conversation and you literally can't watch TV, don't get a piano. Most people in apartments don't have such terrible buildings. In that case it's fine to get a piano as long as you talk with your neighbors and you keep normal hours. You could also do some basic sound reduction stuff.

e: nice edit. If you ask "are you okay if I play piano for an hour between 10 am and 8 pm," and the neighbor says "sure, sounds great" when they actually have a huge problem with it, the problem is the neighbor's for being pathologically unable to bring up normal concerns. You can't read their mind; being polite is all you can do.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 30, 2014

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

On Terra Firma posted:

Most people are too shy or polite to say anything about it. That shouldn't stop someone from being considerate. Not everyone wants to listen to other people's music, and I think everyone should be respectful of that.

Honestly, when I've had neighbors who played the piano/violin/trumpet, I kind of enjoyed hearing their practice. Ditto with moderate recorded music that I can hear through open windows, etc. I've known other people to say the same.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Star posted:

A completely unrelated question, does anyone have any recommendations on how to get a good grasp of meter? I think I get it on a purely intellectual basis but I think it would be better if I intuitively could feel/hear the different meters, for example 6/8 from 3/4 (if that's possible?). I've been looking at some examples of meter on YouTube but they haven't been that great.

6/8 (or triplet feel in general) is in a lot of childhood stuff. Humpty Dumpty is in 6/8, the Sponge Bob Square Pants theme song is in 12/8. Actually, most sea shanties are in 6/8. The Pirates of the Caribbean song is in 6/8 (or 12/8 maybe, sometimes it's hard to tell). 3/4 is more of a waltz feel - basically any waltz ever is in 3/4. I don't know if that helps, it is kind of a weird thing to catch onto.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

e: nice edit. If you ask "are you okay if I play piano for an hour between 10 am and 8 pm," and the neighbor says "sure, sounds great" when they actually have a huge problem with it, the problem is the neighbor's for being pathologically unable to bring up normal concerns.

Well it's cool that you have no problem with it. Some of us actually give a poo poo about people like that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sorry I don't assume that everyone is lying to me??

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Sorry I don't assume that everyone is lying to me??

I don't assume that? Some people might not be lying when they say they're okay with it, then down the line they realize they're not at all okay with it and won't say anything. Or they don't know what having someone with a piano entails and realize they made a mistake saying it was okay. It's better for everyone, in my opinion, to just avoid any risk of that completely and get a nice digital with some nice headphones. Crazy right?

I'm not really sure why any of this is hard to understand, but I'm done derailing this thread.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
"Just get a digital" is not a great universal suggestion when good digital pianos start at like $1500 and good acoustics start at "please just get this out of grandma's apartment." Music shouldn't be totally off-limits for people who can't afford houses or digital instruments.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't assume that? Some people might not be lying when they say they're okay with it, then down the line they realize they're not at all okay with it and won't say anything. Or they don't know what having someone with a piano entails and realize they made a mistake saying it was okay. It's better for everyone, in my opinion, to just avoid any risk of that completely and get a nice digital with some nice headphones. Crazy right?

I'm not really sure why any of this is hard to understand, but I'm done derailing this thread.

Crazy, indeed. It's not a derail, you're in the piano thread saying people shouldn't get a piano unless they buy a house first. That's on topic, it's just terrible advice.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

Bottom line is if you're going to get a piano then get a digital and a nice set of headphones until you have your own place.

We own our place. Our place is a flat on the third floor of the building.

Our upstairs neighbours have an upright and every once in a while their kids hit random keys on it. It's very muffled and I couldn't see myself complaining if someone was practicing during reasonable hours.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Just get good enough that people want to listen to you play.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I wouldn't want someone owning a piano above or below me in an apartment or condo. I guess that's a minority opinion, and if you have neighbors that sincerely don't mind then that's great. Some of you disagree with me, some don't. Let's drop it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

are there any other divisive piano-related topics that will spark controversy?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

baw posted:

I've seen discussions about Monk's technique almost come to blows.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

baw posted:

Wurlitzer is better than Steinway

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jazz Marimba posted:

Wurlitzer is better than Steinway

You have never heard a Bluthner then. Pity most of the concert grands these days are Steinways, so boring.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

You have never heard a Bluthner then. Pity most of the concert grands these days are Steinways, so boring.

looks like someone hacked their site :stare:

baw fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 31, 2014

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Can touch affect the tone of a piano?

Bach: repeats or not?

Historically informed performance: good idea or HIPster bullshit?

Are all engineers terrible artists who think piano playing is an optimization problem?

C.C Chang - insane nutjob or pedagogical genius?

These are a few of the things I've heard on forums.

megalodong fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 31, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

megalodong posted:

Just get good enough that people want to listen to you play.
I think this is honestly a lot of it. I've lived within earshot of a range of musicians from decent to professional, and I've liked all of it, but I would definitely get homicidal after 10 minutes of Row Row Row Your Boat.

...Lucky my neighbors like showtunes :iamafag:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

megalodong posted:

Can touch affect the tone of a piano?

Bach: repeats or not?

Historically informed performance: good idea or HIPster bullshit?

Are all engineers terrible artists who think piano playing is an optimization problem?

C.C Chang - insane nutjob or pedagogical genius?

These are a few of the things I've heard on forums.

Seen and raised (taken from one of the more prominent ones):

"Can cry or Can't cry while performing publicly"

"In one word, what is Piano to you?"

"How to solve psychological problem on piano playing?"

"Hello. I would like to ask how Czerny's studies are ranked."

"Define 'atmospheric' in piano music"

:witch:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

how long does it take to MASTER K545 mvmt 1.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Hawkgirl posted:

6/8 (or triplet feel in general) is in a lot of childhood stuff. Humpty Dumpty is in 6/8, the Sponge Bob Square Pants theme song is in 12/8. Actually, most sea shanties are in 6/8. The Pirates of the Caribbean song is in 6/8 (or 12/8 maybe, sometimes it's hard to tell). 3/4 is more of a waltz feel - basically any waltz ever is in 3/4. I don't know if that helps, it is kind of a weird thing to catch onto.

This is a good response. Unfortunately meter is a whole lot of "what does it feel like". If you're trying to play something in a certain meter, watch very closely how you group notes and articulate them. If you want to listen to a piece and be able to say the meter well… Hawkgirls post is the kind of thing to do, but you can take an educated guess at best.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hola thread.

Question about buying a used piano – how old is too old? I'm interested in getting rid of my keyboard in favor of a piano and am trying to find a good deal. I'm taking a look at a recently refurbished 1927 Steinway V this afternoon. Since it's had work done I'm guessing it'll sound and play pretty good, but is it too old? Am I going to spend a lot of money trying to maintain the thing? Will I have some big repairs coming my way? It recently had new hammers and dampers installed.

For the sake of comparison, for the same price I could get a baseline Yamaha new. My main goal is to be able to play whatever piano I buy a lot. I don't care much about it being a pretty piece of furniture.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Depends on the piano. For such a big purchase, I would definitely get an expert I trusted to go all through it beforehand, same as buying a car. But it sounds like some of the bigger work has just been done and that should keep for awhile. . . .

The piano I grew up with (still at my parents') is a huge warhorse upright ca. 1902 iirc. Could have a little work done, but it's lived a bit of a wild life, and it's still fine overall. My piano here at my place is a 1946 Baldwin Acrosonic spinet -- I'm only the third owner, and it's in better shape than my parents'. I would expect a properly-cared-for Steinway to be in very good condition.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for the info. I just got back from testing it out... while the majority of it looks pretty good (new hammers & dampeners, solid sound board, great sound overall), it is in desperate need of some regulation work. All of the keys feel loose. I called up a local piano shop to see how much they'd charge by giving them a rough description of what I felt, and they ballparked $1500 which is half the cost of the piano. It also turns out that all of the recent work was done by the guy who owns it who tinkers with pianos as a pass time, so I'm not sure about the quality of his work.

So I'm not sure about it. While it'd be cool to have a Steinway, for that price I'd almost be better off buying a newer, ready to go Yamaha or something. And I'm not sure it's worth the effort to drag a technician out to this dude's house.

Hmmmmm.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

What kind of new Yamaha are you looking at that costs $4,500? I would guess that you forgot a zero but $15,000 seems like a lot for regulation work.

edit:

ah, newer. still seems pretty inexpensive

baw fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 3, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

baw posted:

What kind of new Yamaha are you looking at that costs $4,500? I would guess that you forgot a zero but $15,000 seems like a lot for regulation work.

edit:

ah, newer. still seems pretty inexpensive

Yeah, I don't have a ton of money to blow on a piano at this point unfortunately. Everything I'm looking at is refurbished. They're not the most amazing pianos you can buy to be sure, but they're better than my keyboard.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Does anyone have experience with taking piano lessons online over a webcam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
this semester im playing

le cyclope by Jean-Philippe Rameau
1st mvt. of les adieux op 81a by Beethoven
1st mvt. of piano sonata 2 by Chopin
either basso ostinato by Shchedrin or the copland passacaglia again if i dont have time, that chopin is a beast

prob gonna go to a competition too, we'll see

David Pratt posted:

Does anyone have experience with taking piano lessons online over a webcam?

can you physically not leave your house cus if thats the case you can hire someone to come to your place and give you lessons. if not stop being a lazy and go outside piano teachers are plentiful, even lovely tiny towns have a church with a pianist/organist most of whom would welcome the extra cash