Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

it's a piece of cardboard (with some lenses in them that actually do the thing)

right but it's 90% of the effect of oculus for less than $5 so if that poster's got ideas that would require it, it's a much cheaper way to test it out or get to mvp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Main Paineframe posted:

hey, maybe thats why real cabs are subject to real regulations about what they're supposed to do with other people's personal property, as opposed to stealing it and selling it off. maybe that's why jitney cabs with no physical presence in the area are bad, even! anyone who chose to drive for uber doesn't get to complain about spending a bit of gas on returning lost goods because it's an expected part of the job

and so is this. surprise, being a professional driver is really lovely and being an independent contractor professional driver who can't rely on their company to help them out is even worse!

free market bitch

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Main Paineframe posted:

hey, maybe thats why real cabs are subject to real regulations about what they're supposed to do with other people's personal property, as opposed to stealing it and selling it off. maybe that's why jitney cabs with no physical presence in the area are bad, even! anyone who chose to drive for uber doesn't get to complain about spending a bit of gas on returning lost goods because it's an expected part of the job

and so is this. surprise, being a professional driver is really lovely and being an independent contractor professional driver who can't rely on their company to help them out is even worse!
i think we all agree on the terribleness of
1. uber the company
2. uber the service
3. uber drivers

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

It owns, all I did in that thread was say "The T is good."

forget it jake, it's fishmechtown

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
more like "lol wake me up when 3d printers can make integrated circuits cheaply"

this would be a big loving deal, even if the resulting ICs had 100x the feature size of state-of-the-art processes. unfortunately you can't spray molten pure silicon and have them turn into semiconductor circuits because that poo poo needs to be a single crystal to do its job and rapidly-cooling substances don't crystallize, they turn into an aggressively non-crystalline soft blob instead. at least that's my very limited understanding of the processes involved, i'm sure jawn or whoever will gladly explain the main ways in which i'm full of poo poo.

printing a shaped chunk of plastic is a neat party trick and perhaps useful in a pinch but not world shattering like loving #makers make it out to be

because guess what, if it was then large companies would already be using the hell out of it

and they are. in the limited situations where it makes sense.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
the maker movement completely ignores the economics of scale and its very funny

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

the maker movement completely ignores the economics of scale and its very funny

the maker movement is a bunch of white dudes whose dads never taught them how to do anything useful (or more likely, completely ignored their dads when they were trying to)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

uncurable mlady posted:

the maker movement is a bunch of white dudes whose dads never taught them how to do anything useful (or more likely, completely ignored their dads when they were trying to)

i guess this might be my main complaint?

like they're all :2bong: YOU CAN MAKE THINGS OUT OF STUFF :2bong: and i go..ok yeah

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

like they're all :2bong: YOU CAN MAKE THINGS OUT OF STUFF :2bong: and i go..ok yeah

the best part of the d&d 3d printer/maker economy thread was everyone praising cnc

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

my main complaint are the idiots who have uncritically bought into poo poo like "ATOMS ARE THE NEW BITS" that have infiltrated the computing college here and are trying to integrate 'maker culture' and 3d printing into every single loving curriculum

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ayn rand hand job posted:

the best part of the d&d 3d printer/maker economy thread was everyone praising cnc

i'm a big fan of their music factory

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

more like "lol wake me up when 3d printers can make integrated circuits cheaply"

this would be a big loving deal, even if the resulting ICs had 100x the feature size of state-of-the-art processes. unfortunately you can't spray molten pure silicon and have them turn into semiconductor circuits because that poo poo needs to be a single crystal to do its job and rapidly-cooling substances don't crystallize, they turn into an aggressively non-crystalline soft blob instead. at least that's my very limited understanding of the processes involved, i'm sure jawn or whoever will gladly explain the main ways in which i'm full of poo poo.

idk what ic's you would print that wouldn't be served much better with a core, sensor kit and the capability to print i2c capable lines

where is this falling between arduino and rpi that still needs ic-printing flexibility

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jonny 290 posted:

mmhmm *rotor turns back to drill press and lathe and does something useful*

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what's the mechanical machine bootstrapping sequence? like to build a mill you need a lathe first

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rapid prototyping already revolutionized engineering, its funny to see people catch up to where engineers were like 20 years ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

what's the mechanical machine bootstrapping sequence? like to build a mill you need a lathe first

this guy wrote a book about bootstrapping your way to a lathe

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how far down the process do we need to bootstrap? like killing a deer for leather?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

how far down the process do we need to bootstrap? like killing a deer for leather?

go all the way back to god creating tools, humans, materials, and of course the most important thing of all: unrestrained free market capitalism, without which no creation is possible

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this guy wrote a book about bootstrapping your way to a lathe

That guy wrote books on making all of those machines and in a logical series, like you start off by making a foundry, then you use that to make a horizontal milling machine, a lathe, a shaper, etc.

the books own, even if you never plan on making those tools.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uFTCy4hmTk

JawnV6 posted:

a lathe is the most important machine tool because radially symmetric parts are critical to literally every machine. a lathe is also the first machine tool that can build an improved version of itself.

hobbesmaster posted:

you only need to go down as far as the stuff you already have. for instance if this is a post-apocalyptic world and you have a bunch of destroyed cars to take apart, you could build a pretty nice lathe out of the bearings and shafts, the belts, the battery and the starter motor.

if you don't have access to even a supply of metal and/or want to go down to like, pre-industrial levels you totally can though. you'll need to find charcoal, iron-bearing sand, and corundum grinding stones (these were all strategic military resources in the ancient world).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FrozenVent posted:

I love it when people tell me that 3d printers are going to revolutionize world logistics because instead of getting cheap plastic crap from china we can make cheap plastic crap at home

lol wake me up when 3d printers can make cheap plastic crap cheaply

and the chinese cheap plastic crap actually lasts for a significant amount of time too

the 3d printing thread in d&d was pretty funny though because lots of people didn't understand why you couldn't put wood and cloth in to be printed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nobody understands that. most of the people who i show a 3d printer to are hugely underwhelmed -- they expect that it can literally make anything (eg "can you just, like, make an iphone?"), and even for the things it does make, they are disappointed that it takes a couple of hours and they can't have it instantly.

i blame makerbot for calling their machine the "replicator"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I've seen people in graduate level logistics management classes argue that we shipping people were just wanking off because worldwide shipping would be made obsolete by 3d printer

I'm still mad over a year later

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Which Bush era, and was this text mocking or glorifying this lifestyle?

It's a Bill Bryson book that was published in the 1990s (either The Lost Continent or Notes From A Big Country) and he starts off being pretty smug about how terrible America is compared to Britain but, iirc, by the end of the book he has learnt to love some of the things he initially rails against.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

cyberia posted:

It's a Bill Bryson book that was published in the 1990s (either The Lost Continent or Notes From A Big Country) and he starts off being pretty smug about how terrible America is compared to Britain but, iirc, by the end of the book he has learnt to love some of the things he initially rails against.

His thing about people driving everywhere is absolutely correct, I've seen people start the car and drive sixty feet to the mailbox.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

His thing about people driving everywhere is absolutely correct, I've seen people start the car and drive sixty feet to the mailbox.

was it you or was it someone else here who posted about seeing a little girl riding her bicycle slowly down the sidewalk while the mother crept along in an suv beside her at 5 miles an hour?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That was something else but I can deffo believe that.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I live in a dense urban area but a mile or so south or west or east you're in subdivision-style suburbia and I've had people yell at me to "buy a car!" as they drove by when I was walking somewhere. pretty weird.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I dont get people who yell from cars, they are the weirdest people

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

honestly if i forgot my phone or whatever in a cab and the driver brought it back to me id give him a 20 or something even if i didnt have to cause thats just the nice thing to do

i think it's reasonable to expect a driver not to throw out or sell something you forgot the next day even if you don't plan on tipping them

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cyberia posted:

that sounds more like I'm a Stranger Here Myself but i could believe it being in those books instead

speaking of him there's an interesting sounding book about the home that i might pick up later

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

i think it's reasonable to expect a driver not to throw out or sell something you forgot the next day even if you don't plan on tipping them

sure but you can drat well go get it yourself at a time and place that is convenient for the driver. if you want them to return it to you then you should compensate them in some way for their time and cost. they didn't forget your phone in the back of their car, you did.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

BONGHITZ posted:

Bonus weirdo points if they yell or honk at people who are out jogging (on the sidewalk).

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

i'm a big fan of their music factory

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lyon posted:

sure but you can drat well go get it yourself at a time and place that is convenient for the driver. if you want them to return it to you then you should compensate them in some way for their time and cost. they didn't forget your phone in the back of their car, you did.

nothing stopping uber drivers from inviting these people to drop by their office to pick up the goods. except that their office is their house. but if they aren't okay with letting these people in their house they probably shouldn't be letting them in their car either

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

rapid prototyping already revolutionized engineering, its funny to see people catch up to where engineers were like 20 years ago

i've heard from people in the additive manufacturing examining area of the patent office that their job has gotten stupid easy lately because all these people keep reinventing the wheel and the examiners just keep smacking them right down with 20-50 year old prior art.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

3d systems patented everything related to fused deposition molding in like the 80s so yeah all the makerbot like things aren't going to get any patents

3d scanners also are getting some insane expectations regarding cost and quality of data thanks to cheap 3d printers and the kinect

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
i wonder when was the last time a taxi driver had that problem with 'wtf do i do with this guys left poo poo??!?!?!'

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

if you see someone smoking in a car with kids in the back, yell at them

it will not accomplish anything, afaik but i don't know how not to do this

otherwise, carry on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG