Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The Hexen series has a cool idea, but it was ruined by making you go on an endless item and switch hunt instead of actually exploring and having good fights. I simply don't have the patience to zip around maps and find the one hallway that opened up in the middle of a map that's on the other side of a hub that is somewhat large in itself.

Endless item and switch hunts also make it feel like you aren't actually doing anything in the game. Instead of being the hero that's taking down a skull-monster man or giant red demon, you're a shirtless and 'roid-abusing weirdo that has an insatiable need to pull every switch and collect every worthless trinket he finds because of a crippling case of OCD before eventually running into an evil overlord and killing him because he's interrupting your switch-pulling and item-collecting marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Other people have already said it, but the biggest sin for Hexen/Hexen II in my eyes was the fairly limited arsenal per class. It doesn't really matter to me that there are 16 weapons in the game if I can only ever use a quarter of them at any given time, and most of them are boring as poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I could never get too into Hexen, but it wasn't the labyrinthine level design which got me (although that did wear thin). It was the weapon limit. Classes are loving awesome in an FPS, but an FPS with only 3 weapons is super weaksauce. They should have given you the other class' weapons later on, but made them use more ammo/mana or make them do less damage or something. As-is, its just way too little variety for me to get excited about shooting mans with.

Heretic though, that was my jam. I was really into LOTR and fantasy stuff, and then Doom came out and it was brilliant, but my old man wouldn't let me play. (Played it at a friend's house, of course) But I think somehow heretic flew under the radar, I guess it wasn't making headlines at the time. So I played a ton of that.

It didn't really occur to me at the time how much Heretic really was just a pure reskin of doom, (while hexen is more its own beast) but maybe that's why its better.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Wrath of Cronos hugely improves Hexen's gameplay and it's really good http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1224
Slogging through maps isn't so bad when the shooting part isn't dull as hell

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

see you tomorrow posted:

Wrath of Cronos hugely improves Hexen's gameplay and it's really good http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1224

Does it help you figure where the goddamn switch you need to find is?

I liked Heretic but not as much as Doom for whatever reason.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm gonna be controversial and say that Daikatana episode 3 is a better Hexen game than Hexen 1 or 2.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

see you tomorrow posted:

WoC is super loving cool and I highly recommend it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I tried playing Scythe 2 with that mod.

I didn't get very far :(

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly Strife feels like a better Hexen game than Hexen - it does the open world thing Hexen was trying for without getting too wrapped up in its own switch hunts (what hunts are present are generally contained to the stage they're found in). Granted, if you were looking for a pure fantasy setting, Strife's mixed medieval-sci-fi probably won't scratch that itch much.

Also, the idea of science-fiction fantasy is pretty great. Guy decked out with state-of-the-art, futuristic assault armor, a visored helmet and plasma swords a-plenty gets stuck in a medieval world with dragons and wizards and decides to show the 1000s how the 2300s does things? Yes please.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm gonna be controversial and say that Daikatana episode 3 is a better Hexen game than Hexen 1 or 2.

I agree with you. Daikatana episodes 2 and 3 are what I've always wanted from Hexen; action-filled romps through ancient worlds. They're a lot more straightforward that Hexen ever could be. The item hunt near the end of Episode 2, even though it could've been communicated a lot better before reaching the gates and has the dumb piece in the spider-shaped water, is how an item-hunt should've been done; each of the items you need are in self-contained puzzles you can clearly tell apart. DK episode 3 takes Hexen's art style and uses it to make cool and action-filled levels instead of using it as a backdrop for dumbshit switch and item hunts. E3's music really fits the Hexen style a more more than Hexen's MIDIs ever did. Of course, to really get the Hexen feel, you need to disable the side-kicks.

After playing Daikatana SP without sidekicks, I consider Daikatana to be what Hexen should've been, but with the unfortunate mistake of being sandwiched in-between two bad sci-fi games (Episodes 1 and 4).

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Just stumbled upon this, for any coders interested in how early FPS works. It's a 265 line raycaster project in javascript.

http://www.playfuljs.com/a-first-person-engine-in-265-lines/

People have also translated to python and other languages. I'm gonna try it on my raspberry pi.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

EvilGenius posted:

Just stumbled upon this, for any coders interested in how early FPS works. It's a 265 line raycaster project in javascript.

People have also translated to python and other languages. I'm gonna try it on my raspberry pi.

Neat, I've kind of wanted to hit the Wolfenstein 3D source and add stuff to it because I understand how the algorithm works but the code is crusty. Maybe I'll do something with that when I have more time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

I'm gonna try it on my raspberry pi.

Let me know how this works out. Been looking for a reason to buy a pi for awhile now and making my own Wolf3D clone for a custom built computer sounds like a really fun project.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

EvilGenius posted:

Cool. I know it was simple to do this but the code available is all ancient and terrible.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Well, this popped up on the GOG forums. A bunch of stuff from the cancelled Blood 2 expansion? A lot of it looks to be in various formats for the engine or the editor or whatever to handle, but there's a few things you can open up ad check out without it. I haven't looked too deeply into it yet though.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I liked Heretic but not as much as Doom for whatever reason.

I don't really like any games as much as I like Doom.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't really like any games as much as I like Doom.

The only game that could possibly be considered better than Doom is Doom II.

That said, I've been waiting patiently for Brutal Doom v20 to be released. It's supposed to be Freedoom compatible, too. (And no, I don't think Freedoom works as a Doom/2 replacement yet as you can't even complete all the maps in phase 1 or 2.)

edit: I know this is kinda not in the theme of the thread, but I actually like Doom, The Roguelike. It's like Doom and nethack had a baby.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 11, 2015

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I don't really consider Doom and Doom 2 as separate games.

I don't even really think of them as standalone games, period. More like... game platforms, to make / play your own WADs on.

Like when you install Microsoft Office, and it has sample files you can look at as examples, but you're not supposed to actually USE them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Linguica posted:

I don't really consider Doom and Doom 2 as separate games.

I don't even really think of them as standalone games, period. More like... game platforms, to make / play your own WADs on.

Like when you install Microsoft Office, and it has sample files you can look at as examples, but you're not supposed to actually USE them.

It's a game in the sense that like, GURPS is a "game".

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Alain Post posted:

It's a game in the sense that like, GURPS is a "game".
Yeah, actually, comparing it to a tabletop RPG system is pretty accurate, especially considering how much it draws from id's own D&D sessions. You can play the included missions, but the real fun is making your own or playing ones someone else made.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EvilGenius posted:

Psh I wrote my own raycaster years ago with nothing more than a basic description of the concepts and the math. :smuggo: They're not that complicated.

Although I never got around to fixing that bug with the floor/ceiling texture mapping...

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Zaphod42 posted:

Psh I wrote my own raycaster years ago with nothing more than a basic description of the concepts and the math. :smuggo: They're not that complicated.

Although I never got around to fixing that bug with the floor/ceiling texture mapping...

Show off.

I'd always wanted to write a software renderer of some description, but all the examples I could find on-line for coding FPS style images just used Open GL, etc. I found plenty of (I.e. the same copy and pasted) descriptions of raycasting, but they were too high-level to translate into code (perhaps not in hindsite, if I'd sat down and really thought about it).

I think the first thing I'll do with the project is come up with an easy way to populate the map array, starting with a 2 colour bitmap so I can just draw it.

Another cool project I thought of doing was coding this using VBA in Excel. Just so you could use sheet 2 to define the map!

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 11, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

EvilGenius posted:

quote:

a technique called raycasting. You may have seen it before in games like Daggerfall and Duke Nukem 3D
:eng99:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Every time I see "raycasting" I always mentally split the two words and imagine some rad-rear end sci-fi wizard who conjures up CRT-displayed images.

Which I suppose isn't actually that far from how Carmack made things.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

He made things using diet coke and pizza. His true fuel to do all these games back in the days.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

lurker1981 posted:

That said, I've been waiting patiently for Brutal Doom v20 to be released. It's supposed to be Freedoom compatible, too. (And no, I don't think Freedoom works as a Doom/2 replacement yet as you can't even complete all the maps in phase 1 or 2.)

edit: I know this is kinda not in the theme of the thread, but I actually like Doom, The Roguelike. It's like Doom and nethack had a baby.

Yeah BD2.0 is supposed to be out this month. It'll be interesting to see the changes. From the looks of things the weapon feedbacks got overhauled which is what I'm curious about the most.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah BD2.0 is supposed to be out this month. It'll be interesting to see the changes. From the looks of things the weapon feedbacks got overhauled which is what I'm curious about the most.

I hope this time there is a mutator that allows you to get rid of recoil.

That was actually far more annoying for me than the removal of the "auto-aim" feature, which kinda makes sense in the BD world since there is now more than one way for an enemy to die.

I played a "demo" version of BD 2.0 that I found on best-ever.org 10-15 days ago, and it seems like it's really more like a much more polished version of BD 1.9 rather than a complete overhaul. It also seems to completely replace the sprites for the monsters (it uses the Doom/2 spritesheets as a base, more or less), which makes it usable in Freedoom.

Actually, when it finally gets released, you could probably use Brutal Doom in combination with OBLIGE (random level generator) and Freedoom, and essentially have a more or less "complete" game. And it would be 100% free, too.

VVVVV - That's why I like OBLIGE. You can quickly churn out a full mapset for Doom 1/2, set the room size to "Tiny", and you won't play any particular map for long enough to get bored with it. Brutal Doom helps a lot with that, too, because it really does get monotonous when you are killing the same zombie 500 times, and they die the exact same way 500 times in a row. As another poster said, Doom works great as a base game to add onto, but after 20 years, it just doesn't quite have all the magic that it used to.

That said, it's still my favorite FPS, and I always find myself returning to it every now and then.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 12, 2015

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

lurker1981 posted:

w this is kinda not in the theme of the thread, but I actually like Doom, The Roguelike. It's like Doom and nethack had a baby.

I actually don't enjoy the Doom II levels as much as I enjoy the original Doom levels. There's just a point where Doom II becomes a big of a slog, since it gets to a point where there's a series of all these wide open maps, one after another, and I don't know. I find those really big, open levels kind of annoying in Doom, since you lose that firefight feel you get in the tighter levels.

But that's just me.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It's not just you, everyone pretty much feels the same way. I think the first "episode" of Doom II is insanely good though.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Adam Bowen posted:

It's not just you, everyone pretty much feels the same way. I think the first "episode" of Doom II is insanely good though.

Honestly, if I could use mods with it, I would only have the shareware version of Doom on my computer. :c00lbutt:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I really appreciate it when WAD authors do these little touches to transition between techbase and demonic areas of a level:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

lurker1981 posted:

I played a "demo" version of BD 2.0 that I found on best-ever.org 10-15 days ago, and it seems like it's really more like a much more polished version of BD 1.9 rather than a complete overhaul. It also seems to completely replace the sprites for the monsters (it uses the Doom/2 spritesheets as a base, more or less), which makes it usable in Freedoom.

Goddamnit, there goes my dream of someone making Brutal Freedoom.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

I really appreciate it when WAD authors do these little touches to transition between techbase and demonic areas of a level:

What am I looking at here that isn't your inexplicable usage of sprite scaling?

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Segmentation Fault posted:

What am I looking at here that isn't your inexplicable usage of sprite scaling?

The small transitions between techbase and demonic areas of a level?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

catlord posted:

Well, this popped up on the GOG forums. A bunch of stuff from the cancelled Blood 2 expansion? A lot of it looks to be in various formats for the engine or the editor or whatever to handle, but there's a few things you can open up ad check out without it. I haven't looked too deeply into it yet though.

Hey, this is interesting. But how I wish something like that popped from the cancelled Shogo expansion :(

In other news, Doomero now works on arcade shoot'em up made in Doom, because why not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8hWNnmZDx8

laserghost fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 12, 2015

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Nintendo Kid posted:

Are you talking about... The strangely spikey shadow leaking from the demon area? That's pretty subtle.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

laserghost posted:

In other news, Doomero now works on arcade shoot'em up made in Doom, because why not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8hWNnmZDx8

I'm pretty sure one day Doomero is just gonna announce he cured cancer using Doom or something.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
His multiplayer Resident Evil 2 thing is coming along pretty well too, it has door transitions now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

superh posted:

Are you talking about... The strangely spikey shadow leaking from the demon area? That's pretty subtle.

Yes, it's doing it on both sides of that particular screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nintendo Kid posted:

Dripping with subtlety.