Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Astonishing Wang posted:

I've circled a few things that make your situations different:

AKA: The everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

YES! I DID! :D

I can't imagine freezing water inside pipes/tubes is good at all. Anti-freeze is kind of a necessary thing.
Freezing inside the engine block (the coolant runs all through the block, it's full of cavities to let it circulate in there) isn't always terminal, but it can be, and if it happens badly it'll properly gently caress the thing. If you're only a few degrees below freezing, pretty much any antifreeze will work to prevent it, it doesn't need to be a specific "harsh winter" mix or whatever.

This is also one reason why you should draing and refill the cooling system every few years, so it has good stuff in there, it can degrade over time.

In terms of tools, a halfway decent socket set and a cheapo multimeter will get you a hell of a long way with car repair. I'd suggest a set of good screwdrivers, a worklight, and some spanners to bolster that. And obviously a BFH.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I've circled a few things that make your situations different:

This is why my friends come to me for car repairs, even just to do their own work. I am armed for the escalation of warfare against uncooperative mechanicals.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

InitialDave posted:

Freezing inside the engine block (the coolant runs all through the block, it's full of cavities to let it circulate in there) isn't always terminal, but it can be, and if it happens badly it'll properly gently caress the thing. If you're only a few degrees below freezing, pretty much any antifreeze will work to prevent it, it doesn't need to be a specific "harsh winter" mix or whatever.

This is also one reason why you should draing and refill the cooling system every few years, so it has good stuff in there, it can degrade over time.

In terms of tools, a halfway decent socket set and a cheapo multimeter will get you a hell of a long way with car repair. I'd suggest a set of good screwdrivers, a worklight, and some spanners to bolster that. And obviously a BFH.

This is why my friends come to me for car repairs, even just to do their own work. I am armed for the escalation of warfare against uncooperative mechanicals.

Weeeell, I got two different sets of socket sets that are worth a drat. One's a MASSIVE Craftsman set complete with adjustable screwdriver and heads, and two spanners.

Other's a Kobalt set that's less nice but still has some neat stuff.

Another's this weird non-brand name tiny kit that I've used more to fix my computer than anything else because it came with tiny screwdrivers.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I've done a lot more with a lot less. Sounds like a good haul.

poo poo, I probably pulled that engine out of the S2000 with about what you have right now, plus a jack and some stands.

Point is, it's what you do with them. While it may not be ideal, you can basically do everything you need to with what you have now.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Adiabatic posted:

I've done a lot more with a lot less. Sounds like a good haul.

poo poo, I probably pulled that engine out of the S2000 with about what you have right now, plus a jack and some stands.

Point is, it's what you do with them. While it may not be ideal, you can basically do everything you need to with what you have now.

Alright, cool.

So now just need money for the parts and a nice sunny day where it's not -fuckyou degrees outside.

Which means it's time to play the waiting game until I get paid next friday!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I still use the first socket set I ever bought, a Pepboys branded Goodyear kit. It even still has some of the original parts (case and SAE sockets mostly). Take good care of it and it will take care of you. Kobalt is actually pretty decent as far as low-end tools go.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Other than an alternator belt, what parts do you need?

IIRC it's easiest to work on that alternator belt from the bottom than the top. Make sure you can safely get under the car and use your time underneath there to look at things and understand what they are.

Other than your Mk1 eyeball, do you know how to check alignment and wear?

revmoo posted:

I still use the first socket set I ever bought, a Pepboys branded Goodyear kit. It even still has some of the original parts (case and SAE sockets mostly). Take good care of it and it will take care of you. Kobalt is actually pretty decent as far as low-end tools go.
Westward 1/2" drive set for me. My mom gave it to me as a birthday present about 23+ years ago and I still use it as my main 1/2" set although to be honest my 3/8 probably gets used 2x as often.

Also, every fastener on that car is metric. Every single one. The only time an imperial fastener would be encountered is from the PO fuckery so be extra-sure before you put an inch socket/wrench on it before you pour on the torque. That can be an express way to round a head.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_if8-CkTZE

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

Other than an alternator belt, what parts do you need?

IIRC it's easiest to work on that alternator belt from the bottom than the top. Make sure you can safely get under the car and use your time underneath there to look at things and understand what they are.

Other than your Mk1 eyeball, do you know how to check alignment and wear?

Westward 1/2" drive set for me. My mom gave it to me as a birthday present about 23+ years ago and I still use it as my main 1/2" set although to be honest my 3/8 probably gets used 2x as often.

Also, every fastener on that car is metric. Every single one. The only time an imperial fastener would be encountered is from the PO fuckery so be extra-sure before you put an inch socket/wrench on it before you pour on the torque. That can be an express way to round a head.

I posted a video before about this guy who checked alignment on the pulleys by spraying water on the belt while it was squeaky and running. Noise goes away, pulley alignment issue, noise gets worse, tensioning issue. Noise doesn't change, belt's fuckered more than likely.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

I'm no turkey-ass doctor, I'm a Turkey ASS Doctor!
JN1HZ14S0GX147529

Alright so here is what we know from factory:

JN1: Nissan Passenger Vehicle
H: VG30 (NON-TURBO) Engine
Z: Z31 CHASSIS
1: Model Change (0-9)
4: Your body type
S: Standard Restraint System
G: Manufactured in 1986
X: Manufactured in Japan at Hiratsuka
147529: The number of production

Have you got any other compliance plates or anything under the hood, you should have the manufactures plate on the car (standing at the front looking at engine bay it's on the left on the firewall) which will 100% tell you the make a model. For example my VIN inidcates that it's a non turbo engine because it was imported by Nissan and the VIN's are different in Australia but the manufactures plate from Hiratsuka inidcates "NISSAN 300ZX VG30 (ET)" which is factory turbo. Don't know how you guys go with car imports and stuff.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Almost forgot to mention what parts I'll likely need. Uhhh, for right now? Just the alternator belt. Need to buy that, and then put it on to diagnose before I can really even bother with getting different parts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
For pulley alignment, I normally just use a straight edge like a metal ruler across them, it's generally pretty easy to see a problem.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
So the next thing.

Once I do find that it is misaligned, do I buy a new pulley? Or just try and wiggle the pulley so that it is indeed within alignment? Or mechanically agitate it until it's in the right spot?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it isn't aligned, my order of probablilities would be that the bracket holding it on is badly fitted, or not right for the car, or the alternator itself is incorrect, or one of the pulleys is incorrect. Someone having put it on with a bracket bent or in the wrong place or washers placed where they shouldn't be, something like that, is the most likely reason for it. If it's only out by a few millimetres, I suspect loosening everything off, tapping it back into position, and retightening it (after checking all the fasteners are present) will sort it out.

Don't forget it must be aligned right on both the top and bottom run the belt makes - if it's mounted on an angle, it could well be aligned correctly when you look at it on top, but be off on the bottom run.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

So the next thing.

Once I do find that it is misaligned, do I buy a new pulley? Or just try and wiggle the pulley so that it is indeed within alignment? Or mechanically agitate it until it's in the right spot?

You'll need to shim it with washers

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So the next thing.

Firstly I am not convinced of this water technique for checking alignment. Run a string around the grooves and see if it contacts anywhere other than the center, that should tell you and you will be able to tell how much it is out by how far off the Centre it is. This should work quite easily for a standard v-belt like yours. You can also use a string on the edge of the pulley as long as the thickness f the rim is comparable.

That will not tell you how worn it is though. A guage is the best way but see if you can feel a ridge where the belt rides or if it riding deep in the groove.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
When I had a belt out of alignment it was visibly so, and wasn't bad enough to throw the belt. So yours is probably worse. If you have the space, just look at how the belt meets the pulley, and see if it looks a bit crooked to you. As far as tension, I think the rule of thumb is one inch of vertical deflection per foot of span? Something like that? I just do them by feel usually, "yep feels tight" "whoa that's loose".

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have seen them too but yeah if it is readily visible you definitely have problems. Also take a good look at the balancer and make sure it isn't separating or loose.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Saw this RC shell on TQ Racing and thought of you

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=2133

Sadly it is all sold out at the moment, but you might be able to source one from another hobby store

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

You Am I posted:

Saw this RC shell on TQ Racing and thought of you

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=2133

Sadly it is all sold out at the moment, but you might be able to source one from another hobby store

Ahahahaha, that's adorable.

If weather gets up to above freezing next week, gonna get that belt and slap it on there, and at the same time check the pulleys. I'm not entirely sure how to check to make sure the tensioner isn't making GBS threads the bed. Although I still need to figure out how I'm gonna lift it up to get it on there, one of you commented it'd be easier to get at the belt from underneath. Probably some jack stands like someone said before? My neighbor might have a set that I could use.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Get a set of four jackstands from harbor freight for $40 and a harbor freight floor jack for $100~. The floor jacks are awesome for the money. I hear even the NASCAR guys use them.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

Propaganda Bob posted:

Get a set of four jackstands from harbor freight for $40 and a harbor freight floor jack for $100~. The floor jacks are awesome for the money. I hear even the NASCAR guys use them.
This. ^^^^

I've got a pair of the basic blue Pittsburg "racing" jacks to get the AE86 up. They work well enough if you're patient (the pressure release will drop your car if you're too hasty) and mine have lasted a couple years already. Well worth the money.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

TheLarson posted:

This. ^^^^

I've got a pair of the basic blue Pittsburg "racing" jacks to get the AE86 up. They work well enough if you're patient (the pressure release will drop your car if you're too hasty) and mine have lasted a couple years already. Well worth the money.

Did you get an undersized jack? I think I remember seeing in the instructions that the pressure release is supposed as a safety if you put too much weight on it.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

If weather gets up to above freezing next week

Just get a big incandescent light and point it at whatever you're going to be working on and it will warm up in ten minutes or so. I changed the master cylinder on my car today in -8C weather and I was very comfortable. Also, i really hope you didn't actually buy a $3000 pc, I just built a new rig for $900 and with an i5, ssd and gtx 760 it plays everything on max settings. In the pc building world diminishing returns are very real and after the $1000-1500 mark you're just wasting money you should be spending on your bitchin' ride!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

TWSS posted:

Just get a big incandescent light and point it at whatever you're going to be working on and it will warm up in ten minutes or so. I changed the master cylinder on my car today in -8C weather and I was very comfortable. Also, i really hope you didn't actually buy a $3000 pc, I just built a new rig for $900 and with an i5, ssd and gtx 760 it plays everything on max settings. In the pc building world diminishing returns are very real and after the $1000-1500 mark you're just wasting money you should be spending on your bitchin' ride!

Fair enough, I get that point. I was also tempted to score a beater car. Turns out there's a 1999 impreza wagon for 1800.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

jeeeeeeeep brooooooooos

I still haven't gotten around to buying ring terminals yet.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So these have a belt tensioner? I'd expect an 80s car to have V-belts, with the adjustment being one of the accessories swinging one way or the other. Or were they ahead of the curve with installing multi-rib serpentine belts and tensioners and such?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Raluek posted:

So these have a belt tensioner? I'd expect an 80s car to have V-belts, with the adjustment being one of the accessories swinging one way or the other. Or were they ahead of the curve with installing multi-rib serpentine belts and tensioners and such?

Correction: It's a V-Belt. Sorry, probably should've clarified. I don't know enough to know that a car this far back doesn't have a tensioner, although I'm sure I would've figured it out eventually.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Correction: It's a V-Belt. Sorry, probably should've clarified. I don't know enough to know that a car this far back doesn't have a tensioner, although I'm sure I would've figured it out eventually.

If it's anything like my 60s motors, adequate tension is only achieved by jamming a jack handle into e.g. the power steering pump and hauling on it while someone else tightens the bolt that holds the pump at the correct tension.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
These cars should have tensioners.

It's probably like the 280zx one where you loosen the center bolt on the pulley and then loosen the long bolt behind it on the bracket for slack, then tighten the long bolt to achieve tension, and then tighten the center pulley bolt again to lock it in place.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mafoose posted:

These cars should have tensioners.

It's probably like the 280zx one where you loosen the center bolt on the pulley and then loosen the long bolt behind it on the bracket for slack, then tighten the long bolt to achieve tension, and then tighten the center pulley bolt again to lock it in place.

Huh, so like a turnbuckle kind of deal. I guess that's the intermediary system between jack-handle-and-wrench and a serpentine spring tensioner?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
This isn't stock, but you can see the belt isn't a v belt, but the alternator does have a tensioner bolt:
http://z31performance.com/showthread.php?15864-How-To-Installing-a-2005-Nissan-Titan-150-amp-Alternator

The one I was thinking of is used for the A/C belt.

Serpentine belts need the alignment to be right on or they will just pop off. Check to see if anything is wobbling once you get a new belt on there.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

mafoose posted:

This isn't stock, but you can see the belt isn't a v belt, but the alternator does have a tensioner bolt:
http://z31performance.com/showthread.php?15864-How-To-Installing-a-2005-Nissan-Titan-150-amp-Alternator

The one I was thinking of is used for the A/C belt.

Serpentine belts need the alignment to be right on or they will just pop off. Check to see if anything is wobbling once you get a new belt on there.

Okay, neat.

Also, because I was pestered to over and over by my family, I called up the shop that replaced the alternator belt for me last time and told me "Yeah, should be good to go", and left them an annoyed-sounding message.

I seriously seriously doubt they will tell me anything other than "tough luck, if you wanna bring it back and pay more, feel free", but hey, y'never know. I don't like being pestered every 5 seconds by my family.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I once had a shop put my harmonic balancer on wrong on a previous Jeep. I only noticed after it shredded a belt. I called them up and they told me to bring it in and they'd take a look. The tech took one look and said "Yeah, we'll take care of that for ya." Half an hour later, and I was back on the road.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Same happened with my F150. Shop did the belt and it ate itself a day or two later, called them up and they said to bring it back and and had me back on the road in 30 minutes, no charge. Give them a call, if they truly hosed up or didn't check something they should fix it for you.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

I seriously seriously doubt they will tell me anything other than "tough luck, if you wanna bring it back and pay more, feel free", but hey, y'never know. I don't like being pestered every 5 seconds by my family.

Yea i don't think they can/would do that....

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Also, because I was pestered to over and over by my family, I called up the shop that replaced the alternator belt for me last time and told me "Yeah, should be good to go", and left them an annoyed-sounding message.

Try being polite instead of giving them the impression you're going to be a pain in the rear end.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Extra posted:

Try being polite instead of giving them the impression you're going to be a pain in the rear end.

I was polite about it. I'm never a jerk on the phone to people. I'm very rarely a jerk unless people really deserve it.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Also buy jackstands. Since you don't know what the gently caress for the most part I thought I would just reiterate to never get under the car without jackstands. :kiddo: being crushed isnt fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

AcidRonin posted:

Also buy jackstands. Since you don't know what the gently caress for the most part I thought I would just reiterate to never get under the car without jackstands. :kiddo: being crushed isnt fun.

I dunno. This thread has been rather amusing.

• Locked thread