Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Does anyone use Ally for their checking account?

I will be moving this summer, and my new city will only have one branch of the bank I currently use (US Bank) and it will be on the other side of town from where I will be working and probably living…

I opened an Ally savings account, and so long as that goes smoothly for the next six months, I was thinking of using a checking account with them as well.

Has everyone had positive experiences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

asur posted:

When the financial crisis happened? You also need to be able to make the payments if you use it. It's not really that much different than just investing you're emergency fund. The line of credit just adds another potential source that has some risk of not being there. It's up to you to decide if this risk is worth the return. Just to put this in perspective, it will increase you're total investments by about 3.5% if you invest the maximum amount you currently can in a 401k and an IRA. (I'm assuming a return of 7% since that gives 80k with 10k invested over 30 years)

Hard to take advice seriously from someone who can't tell the difference between homophones.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Bloody Queef posted:

Hard to take advice seriously from someone who can't tell the difference between homophones.

Sweet ad hominem, bro.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Bisty Q. posted:

Sweet ad hominem, bro.

I wasn't attacking his character. I was attacking his intelligence, which is relevant imo.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Bloody Queef posted:

I wasn't attacking his character. I was attacking his intelligence, which is relevant imo.

Ad hominem doesn't mean a character attack. It means an attack of an argument by means of attacking the person.

Not really a dog in the fight. Just enjoying the irony of calling another an idiot for improper word use.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

MJBuddy posted:

Ad hominem doesn't mean a character attack. It means an attack of an argument by means of attacking the person.

Not really a dog in the fight. Just enjoying the irony of calling another an idiot for improper word use.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ad%20hominem posted:

2) marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

Anyway, I shouldn't have derailed and actually answered his post. People that had an established LOC were fine during the financial crisis. New lines of credit were what dried up.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

:cripes: at the last five posts

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Keep a little perspective though. This is the newbie thread, and even BFC in general people come in drowning under credit card debt that they got into at least partly by paying for unexpected urgent expenses with their credit cards. "Use your credit for emergencies" is bad advice for people who don't think past the next paycheck.

Furthermore, I personally have zero interest in attaching a 10% interest cost to the money I need to spend the next time the sewer line breaks. Four grand, and the plumber doesn't take credit cards so interest gets paid from day one! Cash on the barrel and I'll restock in future months, thanks.

spinst posted:

Somebody... moana maybe?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
If you only can fund one or the other in the short term(IRA or emergency savings), the only real downside of putting it in an IRA is that you might lose some money in the short term.

YES, you lose the compounding effect if you have to remove principal from your IRA to pay off emergencies, but if you just kept it in a savings account instead you never even had that chance because you're talking about NOT using that year's IRA allowance at all.

Obviously you should try to have a free and clear separate emergency fund built up ASAP, but if I didn't have that I'd do what a poster above said and keep your emergency money in a savings account until the end of the tax year in April, then throw IRA money in there and hope you don't have to use it. That way if you don't have to use it, yay, years worth of tax-free growth.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

slap me silly posted:

Keep a little perspective though. This is the newbie thread, and even BFC in general people come in drowning under credit card debt that they got into at least partly by paying for unexpected urgent expenses with their credit cards. "Use your credit for emergencies" is bad advice for people who don't think past the next paycheck.

Fair enough, but on the flip side, it's a question he came in with on his own accord and was immediately given an "oh no, don't do that" answer. Certainly, it's not for everyone, but we've hashed the pros and cons well enough at this point to allow for his own decision.

quote:

Furthermore, I personally have zero interest in attaching a 10% interest cost to the money I need to spend the next time the sewer line breaks. Four grand, and the plumber doesn't take credit cards so interest gets paid from day one.

I agree with you on this. I wouldn't use a line of credit like that... Only defer the payments you can at zero interest (eg credit card). As far as my experience has been, planned contracted services and emergency plumbing have been invoiced days after service and are typically net 15 or 30 rather than collect at time of service. That's still plenty of time to transfer funds if needed.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

slap me silly posted:

Somebody... moana maybe?
Isn't Ally the poo poo one that was the bank that got bailed out and changed their name? I think I opened an account because I thought it was Alliant but then never used it. Alliant Credit Union is great for online banking. Right now it's .6% interest on CHECKING and like .8% on savings. Highly recommend: https://www.alliantcreditunion.com/

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Ally is what used to be GMAC but by most accounts is recognized as a good online alternative today.

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

I have a bad feeling about this...

Brian Fellows posted:

If you only can fund one or the other in the short term(IRA or emergency savings), the only real downside of putting it in an IRA is that you might lose some money in the short term.

Ideally you would put it into a money market account within your IRA, and then as you built up an "outside the IRA" emergency fund, you would move the equivalent amount of money inside the IRA to retirement-oriented funds. This may be too complicated for the average beginner saver who doesn't have enough money to fund both, however.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

spinst posted:

I will be moving this summer, and my new city will only have one branch of the bank I currently use (US Bank) and it will be on the other side of town from where I will be working and probably living…

I opened an Ally savings account, and so long as that goes smoothly for the next six months, I was thinking of using a checking account with them as well.

I use Ally for checking and savings. They're great. Excellent customer service, (relatively) good interest savings, they refund all ATM fees. There's no way to deposit cash, so if that's a problem, you'll need a secondary bank, but they've been great for me. I used ING Direct before, and they were fine, but Ally has been better.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Since lines of credit exist, I don't understand why emergency funds exist for people who have these magical lines of credit.

People say "Oh, well, the bank can revoke your line of credit whenever it wants".

When has this ever happened?! I'd rather keep that $10k invested and have it turn into $80k after 30 years. Unless someone gives me a good reason not to - one that I've never seen before.

I think some people hold too much cash for their emergency funds, but I don't think the right thing to do is to rely on credit completely for it.

On top of the "the plumber doesn't take credit" type emergencies, I worked for a credit card processing company during the financial crisis. We lowered credit lines and closed cards en masse when poo poo started to go down. A high credit score was some insulation from that, but if we noticed people's balances jumping irregularly, we'd close regardless of score.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 12, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

spinst posted:

I have had overall good experiences with Ally (one checking, one savings account for 2ish years). It does suck they don't take cash, but my check deposits take 2-3 days to go through mad at this point. My landlord actually uses POP, so it's nice that Ally does that as well. Oh, and they finally launched an iPad app.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Ally has been my daily driver for more than two years now and they've been fantastic. Their website is good, their app is good, and the atm fee refunds are amazing. Nothing like having $15 atm fees refunded and being able to use any atm like it ain't no thing. I also use their bill pay to handle my rent and it's never missed a beat plus I get email receipts when my landlord cashes the check. I have Alliant as my backup but I've had no reason to use them except for the free credit scores.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I have a question. Let's say I wanted to take out a loan to pay off my credit card debt. Is that at all useful? How do people consolidate their debt? Would I only need to compare the interest rates to see if its worth it?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I have a question. Let's say I wanted to take out a loan to pay off my credit card debt. Is that at all useful? How do people consolidate their debt? Would I only need to compare the interest rates to see if its worth it?

Lots of people on Lending Club and Prosper are applying to do a consolidation loan. It really depends on the amount you need. If it's <10k and your credit is decent, you might be able to get a personal loan from a credit union.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Grumpwagon posted:

I think some people hold too much cash for their emergency funds, but I don't think the right thing to do is to rely on credit completely for it.

On top of the "the plumber doesn't take credit" type emergencies, I worked for a credit card processing company during the financial crisis. We lowered credit lines and closed cards en masse when poo poo started to go down. A high credit score was some insulation from that, but if we noticed people's balances jumping irregularly, we'd close regardless of score.

Cash is king applies when things get bad. An emergency fund which is actually a sum of money rather than credit is generally good for new comers to BFC. I look at the number of people who have no money to pay for their car breaking down or some other not that uncommon expense in the various threads, and you wouldn't want to get a cash advance off a credit card when you need money.

When I got my first full time job I consolidated my debts through my bank by way of a short term loan. Your bank will have pre-assessed your risk and may (or may not) give a reasonable interest rate. Credit unions and P2P lending are popular for getting competitive interest rates though.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 12, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Devian666 posted:

Cash is king applies when things get bad. An emergency fund which is actually a sum of money rather than credit is generally good for new comers to BFC. I look at the number of people who have no money to pay for their car breaking down or some other not that uncommon expense in the various threads, and you wouldn't want to get a cash advance off a credit card when you need money.

When I got my first full time job I consolidated my debts through my bank by way of a short term loan. Your bank will have pre-assessed your risk and may (or may not) give a reasonable interest rate. Credit unions and P2P lending are popular for getting competitive interest rates though.

Not sure why you're quoting me here, I agree with you, and that was the point I was making too. My only additional point was that I have seen people with $30k-$50k emergency funds, and that seems excessive to me.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I was quoting you as an extension to the discussion as you had made a good point. I also think that $30-$50k is overkill for an emergency fund. I was watching the Suze Orman show while I was travelling across China and someone had a $120k emergency fund. It's enough money to buy a house which I don't see as a type of emergency.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

My emergency fund is at $75,000. I just feel more comfortable having that kind of money on hand. When it goes over that amount, any excess is put into taxable investments (since I already max out my 401k, IRA, and HSA). It's basically enough to handle 99% of anything that might come my way: unexpected major surgery (that my insurance won't completely cover or takes a long time to pay), if I get canned from work and it takes a long time to find a job, some crazy surgery that my dog may need, etc. in an amount that can handle a "when it rains, it pours" type of scenario.

It's probably irrational but gently caress it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah the main challenge of credit card debt is it's fairly high interest depending on the card and also your current credit score.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Grumpwagon posted:

Not sure why you're quoting me here, I agree with you, and that was the point I was making too. My only additional point was that I have seen people with $30k-$50k emergency funds, and that seems excessive to me.

30k for 6 months of expenses isn't completely out of line for some areas and even $50k sounds a little low for a high-earning single-income family of 4+.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Engineer Lenk posted:

and even $50k sounds a little low for a high-earning single-income family of 4+.

I think that if your minimum necessary expenses are ~$75K over six months, then your lifestyle needs to be re-evaluated. [ed: or, you're just so rich it hardly matters.]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 12, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Engineer Lenk posted:

30k for 6 months of expenses isn't completely out of line for some areas and even $50k sounds a little low for a high-earning single-income family of 4+.

Yeah. I'll grant you $30k. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong here, it's just hard to think about that as a pretty frugal renter with no kids in a fairly low to moderate cost of living area. Still, $50k seems like too much, without extenuating circumstances, but I guess it's pretty situational.

I suppose it is a pretty personal choice. If that person with a $75k emergency fund feels better for having it, that's fine by me (and considering he/she is maxing tax advantaged accounts with money for a 75k emergency fund left over, they don't need my advice anyway). I just don't think we should advise people to have that much, unless they know they're high risk for job loss, or have a chronic illness, or whatever.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 12, 2015

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I can very easily see someone who makes a high salary with a $700k house (which is median for my area), a stay-at-home spouse and a few young children needing a much larger buffer than you'd think. $30k is basically 6 months of mortgage payments with no money left over for anything else.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Engineer Lenk posted:

"high earning" sounds like a euphemism for "terrible with money". If you spend money like it is water and like putting your family in a bad situation if the firehose of money is reduced slightly, then yes you might need a 50k emergency fund. After you have that fund together, the next step is to go read some books on how to start tackling the ridiculous amount of spending that is going on.

Even a family in Silicon Valley doesn't need 50k for 6 months expenses. Yikes!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Vilgan posted:

"high earning" sounds like a euphemism for "terrible with money". If you spend money like it is water and like putting your family in a bad situation if the firehose of money is reduced slightly, then yes you might need a 50k emergency fund. After you have that fund together, the next step is to go read some books on how to start tackling the ridiculous amount of spending that is going on.

Have you ever looked at COBRA costs for family health insurance, plus a deductible? How about a significant legal bill?

$50k emergencies are rare, but they can happen, even to people of middle-class means. Really wealthy people who have to worry about things like keeping their kids in private school and keeping up maintenance and taxes on a super-fancy place should probably plan for them as a matter of course, although they can ironically get away with a much smaller cash emergency fund - they can rely on having enough to survive in riskier accounts even if the bottom falls out of the market, and get a better return on emergency savings. It's good to be rich.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Vilgan posted:

As someone in the Bay Area, I'd disagree.

$3500/mo - 2 BR rent in SV in $3500+, you could probably find a small unit on the questionable outskirts of EPA or something, but good luck. Anywhere else is minimum 1+ hour commute each way, probably 1.5-2hrs plus given traffic now
$2500/mo - Literally every family I know,both parents work, just due to the sheer cost. This means daycare is mandatory. The absolute cheapest I've seen daycare at (outside of an illegal immigrant) is ~$15,000/yr per kid.
$700/mo - Throw in maybe $700 for food (this is mostly groceries, plus a few cheaper restaurants) for a family of four.
$500/mo - Insurance (car/life/renters) and vehicle (gas, maintenance)

That is $43,000 in essentials for 6 months. This isn't including clothes, cell phones, or utilities either. Switch from renting to a mortgage and you are over $50k for six months.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Interest rate question:

I have a load with a 2% fixed rate. So with the inflation rate bouncing around 1.5% a year I was wondering if there was a point where paying more then the normal incremental payments hurts me. Since over the course of the loan the money I put in early will be "spent" at a higher valuation of the dollar.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

M_Gargantua posted:

Interest rate question:

I have a load with a 2% fixed rate. So with the inflation rate bouncing around 1.5% a year I was wondering if there was a point where paying more then the normal incremental payments hurts me. Since over the course of the loan the money I put in early will be "spent" at a higher valuation of the dollar.

Sure, absolutely. If the inflation rate is higher than your loan rate, you should pay the bare minimums and you will pay less in real terms over the course of the loan (assuming your net income increases at or above the rate of inflation, that there will not be a subsequent deflationary period, and that your minimum payments are greater than the accumulated interest on the loan).

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

app posted:

As someone in the Bay Area, I'd disagree.

$3500/mo - 2 BR rent in SV in $3500+, you could probably find a small unit on the questionable outskirts of EPA or something, but good luck. Anywhere else is minimum 1+ hour commute each way, probably 1.5-2hrs plus given traffic now
$2500/mo - Literally every family I know,both parents work, just due to the sheer cost. This means daycare is mandatory. The absolute cheapest I've seen daycare at (outside of an illegal immigrant) is ~$15,000/yr per kid.
$700/mo - Throw in maybe $700 for food (this is mostly groceries, plus a few cheaper restaurants) for a family of four.
$500/mo - Insurance (car/life/renters) and vehicle (gas, maintenance)

That is $43,000 in essentials for 6 months. This isn't including clothes, cell phones, or utilities either. Switch from renting to a mortgage and you are over $50k for six months.

I've heard significantly different stories about costs, but I don't live there so whatevs :)

On the flipside, that sounds awful and reinforces how much I love Seattle. Slightly lower salaries in exchange for significantly cheaper housing in walkable neighborhoods with a nice easy commute via bus or light rail. I live in my favorite part of Seattle that is super walkable, right near the lake and a bunch of other cool things, etc and our monthly expenses are 1500/month for mortgage and 1k/month for food/utilities/etc that we need to spend and 1k per month that we could easily remove if necessary. We could get that a lot lower if we moved to a less nice neighborhood.

Edit> I lied, I am going to question these numbers. Zillow quotes average 2 br in silicon valley as 2200 a year ago, I doubt its gone up over 50% in the last year. I see lots of 2 br apartments in that area for WAY under 3500. Also, people usually throw around 700k for a home, that'd be like 2600 before insurance/tax not over 3500.
Other costs:
food - 600/month
Car/life insurance: 100/month and vehicle: gas/maintenance 200/month
Utilities/all other random stuff: 300
So maybe 4500 before childcare IF you need childcare, the original discussion was single earners because they probably want a 6 month cushion while its a lot less necessary for dual earners. Dual earners ought to be fine with a lot less than 6 months

I'll stand by my original point that burning through 50k in 6 months is absurd. Lots of people in SV have posted elsewhere that they are easily able to live in SV and save 60-75% of their income by not going crazy with spending. If both people are earning 60k or whatever such that you really do need both people to work, perhaps you should move just about anywhere else in the country that's not Manhattan or SV.

Vilgan fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 13, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
6 months of "normal budget" expenses is a good rule, because you can probably stretch that to 12 months or more of unemployment if you do something like downsize living space, sell a car, drop a phone line, eat beans, and get rid of cable, etc.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What high earning family of four with a stay at home mom lives in a two bedroom apartment? This conversation is pretty dumb but let's at least have the same one...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 13, 2015

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

Interest rate question:

There's an argument to be made that you're losing out on some money by putting it into paying down your loan instead of investing it; especially if you haven't maxed your IRA contributions for the year.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

There's an argument to be made that you're losing out on some money by putting it into paying down your loan instead of investing it; especially if you haven't maxed your IRA contributions for the year.

Oh man. That's rich. Don't put money you actually have into a Roth unless you have a six month emergency fund but go ahead an take a loan out to fund the Roth? I don't understand where you're coming from. Wow. Talk about rate chasing. Follow your heart I guess.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dead Pressed posted:

Oh man. That's rich. Don't put money you actually have into a Roth unless you have a six month emergency fund but go ahead an take a loan out to fund the Roth? I don't understand where you're coming from. Wow. Talk about rate chasing. Follow your heart I guess.
Uhhhhh... if I could take out a 2% unsecured loan to fund my IRA? gently caress yes.

In fact, I have a 2% student loan (so, effective rate closer to 1.75-1.8%) that I don't pay down for this exact reason. Additionally, if I die, my IRA is inheritable as an asset, but they'll write off the student loan, so there's yet another reason not to pay it.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Dead Pressed posted:

loving nerds and their math, amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Uhhhhh... if I could take out a 2% unsecured loan to fund my IRA? gently caress yes.

In fact, I have a 2% student loan (so, effective rate closer to 1.75-1.8%) that I don't pay down for this exact reason. Additionally, if I die, my IRA is inheritable as an asset, but they'll write off the student loan, so there's yet another reason not to pay it.

I was under the impression that student loans (At least direct government ones) don't get written off when you die and they just go after your next of kin to pay up instead, which is why I haven't offed myself yet. Then again I don't know many people with gov't loans at a 2% interest rate either so I'm guessing yours is private?