Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kyrosiris posted:

Normally I would hate Stephen Speck because he plays lands in front of creatures, but that Simian Spirit Guide to pay for the Mana Leak was a blowout

Also Amulet Combo is infinitely more interesting than UR Delver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bhsman posted:

Also Amulet Combo is infinitely more interesting than UR Delver.

This is also true. :shobon:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Aw man, that choke. It would be really cool to see merfolk get to the finals.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pod is still the best deck in modern I guess? At least Delver didn't do anything.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pod wasn't the main reason that card was banned in the first place (it was 12Post).

And GSZ makes Gaddock Teeg, a card which fucks over Pod's tutors pretty well, much more playable.

I'm not sure how Gaddock Teeg affects Pods tutors much at all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Bloom Titan in Second Place is pretty impressive, I must admit.

Maybe I should grab a playset of Amulets now and not later.

I'd hold off on that haha, that was a pretty flaccid final.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

They can't cast Pod, Chord, or GSZ while Teeg's out?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

forbidden lesbian posted:

I'd hold off on that haha, that was a pretty flaccid final.

The amulet player had the win that second game, though. (If he Pacts the Birthing Pod, the pod player gets a copy and has to either pact the Pod or the original Pact. If he pacts the original, only he has to pay the upkeep cost. If he pacts the pod, the original pact fizzles, ergo it's owner doesn't have to pay the upkeep cost. Ergo only the pod player has to pay, ergo the pod player loses.)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

He said something like, "I'm not racist, but it seems most cheaters are Portuguese and French."

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

What is Birthing Pod's converted mana cost?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The amulet player had the win that second game, though. (If he Pacts the Birthing Pod, the pod player gets a copy and has to either pact the Pod or the original Pact. If he pacts the original, only he has to pay the upkeep cost. If he pacts the pod, the original pact fizzles, ergo it's owner doesn't have to pay the upkeep cost. Ergo only the pod player has to pay, ergo the pod player loses.)

Oh really? I missed part of it, I just saw part of the first match where it seemed like he didn't really do anything and like five minutes of the second, had to go away for a little bit, and then came back to Eric being the winner.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

Oh really? I missed part of it, I just saw part of the first match where it seemed like he didn't really do anything and like five minutes of the second, had to go away for a little bit, and then came back to Eric being the winner.

Stark and Marshall missed it themselves, until the interview with Peters (the winner).

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

mcmagic posted:

Pod is still the best deck in modern I guess? At least Delver didn't do anything.

It "only" put two in the top 8 when 5 of the other 6 decks played multiple Chalices of the Void.

And the pact play was a punt but bringing in chalice against pod was just baffling.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well, Omaha was my first GP, and I did pretty terribly (2-1-2), but I definitely had a blast, and definitely look forward to going again. I played Mono-U Tron, and while I know it's not the best deck, and it gets eaten alive by Delver, it's a shitload of fun. Holy balls is it ever slow, though--it runs so few threats that you need to be pretty much positive that it's going to be able to protect what it lands. I'm definitely torn on what the most satisfying play I had with it was, though--it's either Mindslaver-ing an Affinity player and destroying their entire board with their Ravager, or blowing up all four of a Jeskai Control player's lands with a Sundering Titan (he splashed black for Slaughter Games). I'm looking forward to more events and more Modern in the future.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Anyone think Whisperwood Elemental is being pretty undervalued right now? 5 mana for 6 power aint bad, and it just keeps drawing you cards if it sticks around. Plus it is pretty good wrath insurance.

it kind of seems like a larger goblin rabblemaster to me. I think i might do babby's first spec on it at $5

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A big flaming stink posted:

Anyone think Whisperwood Elemental is being pretty undervalued right now? 5 mana for 6 power aint bad, and it just keeps drawing you cards if it sticks around. Plus it is pretty good wrath insurance.

it kind of seems like a larger goblin rabblemaster to me. I think i might do babby's first spec on it at $5

The chances of any cards beings undervalued in prerelease prices are pretty much nil...

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

mcmagic posted:

The chances of any cards beings undervalued in prerelease prices are pretty much nil...

Funny that, he mentions a prime example of noted dollar bin rare card goblin rabblemaster, which grew astronomically at least a week or two after release.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Deofuta posted:

Funny that, he mentions a prime example of noted dollar bin rare card goblin rabblemaster, which grew astronomically at least a week or two after release.

didn't wingmate roc shoot up like a rocket post release too? (e: dig through time too!)

i just figure the card is powerful enough to have potential, and a mythic in a small set means supply is on my side

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Roc went down then up then back down again, iirc. It is actually pretty close to its start point right now, according to goldfish.

Deofuta posted:

Funny, you're talking to the guy who harped on and on about how the current most valuable mythic in khans was a bad, unplayable card.

On the other hand I think Whisperwood probably just lands around $5 if it sees play anyway.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Manifested cards aren't the same as drawn cards. Every non-creature you manifest is a wasted card. A bear and nothing more.

It is still card advantage and it does provide Wrath insurance for all your other face up guys but having other face up guys is the key there.

And it's something your opponent can play around too. If they try to just Wrath, you'll sac in response and get a bunch of bears. If they target it with a kill spell first with the intention of Wrathing after, you sac in response and your opponent just has to hold out till next turn to wrath you out. Also Perilous Vault and Anger of the Gods completely invalidate his ability.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Can someone explain to me how Manifest amounts to drawing cards? Because I just don't get it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Manifested cards aren't the same as drawn cards. Every non-creature you manifest is a wasted card. A bear and nothing more.

??? I spoke to hastily about it 'drawing you cards' but how on earth is a non-creature manifest wasted? You got it for nothing!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

A random 2/2 is not a full card frequently, but anytime you hit a creature you can morph that IS a real card gain.

And since most of the time your deck top is random you grabbing a spell is not different than it getting milled away.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

??? I spoke to hastily about it 'drawing you cards' but how on earth is a non-creature manifest wasted? You got it for nothing!

You put that card in your deck because it does something other than be a bear.

E: On a different note I wonder if UW Heroic will do anything with Lightform or Cloudform? They Scry enough that they can almost garuntee a creature gets Manifested Giving their beater Flying and Lifelink or Hexproof seems alright. Especially Hexproof.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 12, 2015

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

uh, i feel like you're making an analog to the mill argument. It doesn't matter if it gets manifested on the field, you didn't lose it because you didn't have to spend a draw step on it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

Can someone explain to me how Manifest amounts to drawing cards? Because I just don't get it.

If your hand is out of gas, but throughout the game you have manifested X cards of which Y are creatures, you can 'cast' those Y creatures sort of like if you had drawn them.

RE: Specs, there is almost always one or two cards that break out at the PT and shoot up, while the rest make their way downwards. Unless you are putting the work in to find those cards, and unless you can do as good a job of that as the PT testing teams can, you're basically just guessing and the odds are bad.

Don't let it stop you though. Speccing on cards can be fun in the way gambling or opening packs is fun. Just go in to it clear eyed about what you're trying to do.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How close manifesting is to drawing cards depends on how many creatures you run. In a 30 creature deck for instance you could see it as drawing half a card.

e: There might also be more ways to "reclaim" a manifested non-creature card in Dragons, like that guy who bounces stuff back to your hand.

e2: Obviously with library manipulation the card advantage rate would rise.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 12, 2015

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Cernunnos posted:

You know what they say - A bear on the battlefield is worth a wingmate roc in your library.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I did pretty good with Monastery Swiftspear, because from the time it was released it was one of my favorite creatures of all time. I also cracked Nissa and Ajani during the m15 prerelease and traded them for 20 bucks each. Felt bad when Nissa went to 30, but in the long run, getting rid of pre-release planeswalkers for 20 has been good to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I did pretty good with Monastery Swiftspear, because from the time it was released it was one of my favorite creatures of all time. I also cracked Nissa and Ajani during the m15 prerelease and traded them for 20 bucks each. Felt bad when Nissa went to 30, but in the long run, getting rid of pre-release planeswalkers for 20 has been good to me.

At your LGS or online?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
At the old lgs. The people who collect things for standard eat up planeswalkers before they are widely available.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah I'm not buying the 'manifest is wasting cards' argument. Its like saying Thoughscouring yourself is wasting cards.

You're just drawing the next card down anyway, and if you don't know what your draws are it really doesnt matter if its an Elspeth or what have you.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I don't think Manifest is wasting cards, but I don't really buy that it's the same as drawing cards either.

To me, Whisperwood Elemental is basically a worse Master of the Wild Hunt, but it could still totally be decent and playable.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Wait one drat second.. will manifest make the lens of clarity actually decent in limited? When I draft, that card is a practical joke because it either lets you know that you lost a turn earlier, or lets you see the better card you would have drawn instead.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Wait one drat second.. will manifest make the lens of clarity actually decent in limited? When I draft, that card is a practical joke because it either lets you know that you lost a turn earlier, or lets you see the better card you would have drawn instead.

I would be astounded if lens of clarity became a playable card

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think it the manifest thing hits at an innate difference between serious and casual players. There's just a massive feelbad when you mill the top card of your library and it turns out it could have won you the game, even if statistically milling the top card of your library blind is the right decision. It takes a while for a player to overcome that initial reluctance with cold hard math.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Unless you know a spell is at the top of your library and you still manifest it, manifesting the top card of your library is not "wasting" a card. If the top card of your deck is unknown when you manifest, your top card will still be unknown afterwards.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

newtestleper posted:

I would be astounded if lens of clarity became a playable card
Me too. At least the "look at the top card" ability has a context now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

If you look at your pool and lens of clarity is better then any other options exit out that draft because you are not winning any of those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

No, you're still spending a card to do basically nothing.

• Locked thread