Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

oh. neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Leal posted:

I have to ask, with that 10% extra attack strength added wouldn't a sch in cleric stance do more damage with the dots then a smn would, outside of the smn using bane and the dot extender pet skill along with the pet's auto attack? Or do smns get more int from gear then schs get mnd to compensate?

SCHs lack things like Fester, damaging pets, etc.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The DoTs alone should be stronger in theory, yes. The overall damage, however, should not.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Mordiceius posted:

Nah, I'm just looking for pure quantity of Soldiery for the relic grind.

If you have a tank or healer job you can queue as, queue for Chimaira and Hydra from the initial relic quest. They die in about 2-3 minutes, which puts you roughly where a good Snowcloak party will be in terms of soldiery/minute. The newbie bonus for both is 40 soldiery, which gives the two trials an edge if you luck into getting it semi-frequently. On Aether's data center I saw maybe 6-7 of them when I was grinding out my last spring water's worth of soldiery.

Beyond that, roulettes every day.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Leal posted:

I have to ask, with that 10% extra attack strength added wouldn't a sch in cleric stance do more damage with the dots then a smn would, outside of the smn using bane and the dot extender pet skill along with the pet's auto attack? Or do smns get more int from gear then schs get mnd to compensate?

SCH dots do more than SMN dots (Bio, Bio II, Miasma) but Aero + Energy Drain doesn't quite make up for the lack of Fester and you're missing ~100 dps from your pet.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Meiteron posted:

If you have a tank or healer job you can queue as, queue for Chimaira and Hydra from the initial relic quest. They die in about 2-3 minutes, which puts you roughly where a good Snowcloak party will be in terms of soldiery/minute. The newbie bonus for both is 40 soldiery, which gives the two trials an edge if you luck into getting it semi-frequently. On Aether's data center I saw maybe 6-7 of them when I was grinding out my last spring water's worth of soldiery.

Beyond that, roulettes every day.

I'm a white mage, natch. Seems like I'll be seeing a lot of Chimera and Hydra.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I think in a target dummy scenario, sch can hit about 250-300 dps. The other problem sch has is a lack of accuracy. Don't feel bad if you're not helping out the dps as a sch until you feel comfortable with it and timing lustrate. SCH dps is only really important for cutting edge content since the enrages are really tight.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

god drat this game is pretty

edit: bonus round - hung out at the FC and brought my Fat Cat out with Dudude Dude's... discovered they have a staredown if you have two out at once.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 12, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Best Race in Best House Hub? :agreed:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Kitfox88 posted:

Best Race in Best House Hub? :agreed:

Agreed about fat cat being the best race, not sure if they're the best housing hub.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

This would be adorable if it wasn't fat shaming political incorrectness that only an eastern dev is capable of conjuring up.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Am I a terrible no-good very bad healer if I put all my attribute points into int because I usually play SMN :ohdear: I justify it by saying it at least makes my emergency cleric stance heals a bit less pathetic

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Am I a terrible no-good very bad healer if I put all my attribute points into int because I usually play SMN :ohdear: I justify it by saying it at least makes my emergency cleric stance heals a bit less pathetic

Having INT as a DPS class is more important than having MND as a healing class. Don't worry about it too much unless you find yourself playing SCH almost exclusively.

Also try not to emergency heal in Cleric Stance (aside from Lustrate :v: )

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Leal posted:

This would be adorable if it wasn't fat shaming political incorrectness that only an eastern dev is capable of conjuring up.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bear in mind that it's a whopping 250 GC seals (like, one high level FATE) to get the bonus point respec item. It's not like you really have to commit to your bonus stats too much any more. If you're gonna be Seriously Healing Something Substantial for an evening, switch your points to MND, and then switch back when you're back in DPS and/or casual-healing mode.

Vil fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 12, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

e: double post

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Leal posted:

solidarity, my friend!... a lot of it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Just got Lancer to 15 so I can be a monk, is it just me or do the Lancer quests suck? Th Pugilist quests are about how it's cool to punch things and an awesome old guy and his tiny students. The Lancer quests are about how all Lancers are terrible cowards who're likely to piss themselves and run away at the first sign of danger and it's really impressive and crazy that you can overcome the constant, bowel-loosening terror of holding a spear.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Just got Lancer to 15 so I can be a monk, is it just me or do the Lancer quests suck? Th Pugilist quests are about how it's cool to punch things and an awesome old guy and his tiny students. The Lancer quests are about how all Lancers are terrible cowards who're likely to piss themselves and run away at the first sign of danger and it's really impressive and crazy that you can overcome the constant, bowel-loosening terror of holding a spear.

The only purpose of the Lancer quests is to reassure you that you made the right choice by picking Monk

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

A Spider Covets posted:

solidarity, my friend!... a lot of it.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Maybe, but they have one of the maybe four Duskwright Elezen in the entire game in them, so.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

boom boom boom posted:

The pugilist guild quests are bar none the best of all available classes except maybe rogue because I haven't done those yet; so I'm afraid you started with the best and all the rest of them aren't going to be nearly as good.

Personal favorites were PUG, ARC, and ACN myself.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

elves love drama

i like this game but it's been rendered completely unplayable due to constant 90k errors lately. i've done a lot of tinkering that hasn't fixed it, so i guess the only solution is to document the problem and harass comcast. more challenging than any raid!!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

gaming is.... it's GOOD!!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

kafziel posted:

Maybe, but they have one of the maybe four Duskwright Elezen in the entire game in them, so.

Oh yeah, the goth kid who thinks he's hardcore.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

thje spear....nothing takes more courage to wield than the thing that gives you the longest reach possible..

when mechanists come out i hope there's a guy with a sniper rifle who constantly talks about honor

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shameful

GulagDolls posted:

when mechanists come out i hope there's a guy with a sniper rifle who constantly talks about honor

Or a sniper who talks big but is actually a rookie and completely fucks up an assassination.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

kafziel posted:

From what i remember MoonCattes are just as rare. The MoonCatte girl in the ARC questline is just as annoying too.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I've found the chocobo primal.

Also, lol:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Smornstein posted:

From what i remember MoonCattes are just as rare. The MoonCatte girl in the ARC questline is just as annoying too.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Trying to get this going, and the account stuff is a goddamn mess. What did I do wrong?

I signed up for a SE account over on their EU site. However, when I go to log on in the free trial, it won't let me on. It does not recognise that I made an account and does not think there is an account associated with my email. Did I sign up in the wrong place? Also, it is asking me for a one time key, which I am told I am supposed to leave blank. What is it, and why leave it blank?

e; solved it, the launcher for the trial is so goddamn awful I assumed it was broken when it was not responding to my click to start a new account and signed up on SE's site instead thinking it would direct me there. Nope, it is just an awful piece of junk and required me to retry it about 10 times.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 12, 2015

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Meiteron posted:

The pugilist guild quests are bar none the best of all available classes except maybe rogue because I haven't done those yet; so I'm afraid you started with the best and all the rest of them aren't going to be nearly as good.

Personal favorites were PUG, ARC, and ACN myself.

Nothing quite matches up to the sheer anime hilarity that is the pugilist final quest and monk final quest. It more than makes up for the job quests being rather droll in comparison up to a point.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vil posted:

Bear in mind that it's a whopping 250 GC seals (like, one high level FATE) to get the bonus point respec item. It's not like you really have to commit to your bonus stats too much any more. If you're gonna be Seriously Healing Something Substantial for an evening, switch your points to MND, and then switch back when you're back in DPS and/or casual-healing mode.
Turning in spare gear from expert dungeons or I think Circus Tower will get you nearly a thousand per piece, too. The respec items have gone from a high but not too unreasonable price to the point you could probably switch between SMN and SCH and reassign stats accordingly between every dungeon run you do with a little luck.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

The only purpose of the Lancer quests is to reassure you that you made the right choice by picking Monk
It's to introduce you to drg and the concept of jumping off cliffs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

After loving around with t9 for nearly all of 2.4, it feels really good to beat t10 in just a week of working on it.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

boom boom boom posted:

No the lancer quests do suck, but its not a fair comparison because the pugilist is the best story line.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Another Person posted:

Also, it is asking me for a one time key, which I am told I am supposed to leave blank. What is it, and why leave it blank?
To answer the question you don't care about anymore, the One-time Key is somewhat bad terminology for where you enter the authenticator code if you get one. It stumped me for a while too.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I am a functionally retarded Duty Finder PUG member of a paladin. If I were in Shiva Extreme and the other tank swapped in for me at the first bow phase, at what point should I be swapping back on average? I am too scared of fun dance dance revolution circles to find an opening during a weapon switch.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I am a functionally retarded Duty Finder PUG member of a paladin. If I were in Shiva Extreme and the other tank swapped in for me at the first bow phase, at what point should I be swapping back on average? I am too scared of fun dance dance revolution circles to find an opening during a weapon switch.

If you had it before first bow phase (i.e. during the initial staff), you 'should' taunt back when she switches to staff. -- the mechanic is, theoretically, that you are doing staff phases, and the other tank should be doing sword. You won't be able to know which one she's going to until she doesn't. But this is okay because you can't run to do the hailstorm/circle dance until she's done the swap anyway (Run early and you run the risk of ice claws murdering the tank/everyone). Sit on her rear end until she goes up for a weapon switch, charging up a nice halone while you wait. If it's staff, Provoke, Halone, run to your hailstorm position. If it's sword, sit there and let the other tank drag ice claws onto you, then enjoy your 1-2-3 until circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, that's not when the other tank should have swapped with you. The way the fight works is that when she has her sword out she gives you a blunt resistance debuff, and when she has her staff out she gives you a slashing resistance debuff. Because of that you need to swap whenever she switches weapons, which will happen after the bow phase. Which weapon she picks is random, so it's possible (and in fact very likely) for one tank to have her most or even all the time. She always starts with the sword after diamond dust, and she tends to choose the sword at weapon swaps. What you should be doing before the fight is designating one tank to be the sword tank, and the other to be the staff tank.

• Locked thread