Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

As much as I've heard about buybacks over the years, I've still yet to experience it anywhere. I mean, yeah, I get comped drinks regularly but there has never been a noticeable system or pattern to the frequency. I think the bars in my market tend to use a comp tab or a certain number of comps per night. Some nights I get them and some nights they go to the hot chick that the bartender has been chatting up for the last hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Armagnac posted:

Oh and I laughed when I saw bartenders saying never do shots with customers. It's pretty much required in most local bars here. It's ok for the bartender to refuse, but all bartenders will occasionally do shots with patrons, and if you're a regular you always order an extra shot for every round for the bartender.

Does this type of culture still exist anywhere else in the world?

Unfortunately, legislation and the law has killed a lot of this in certain parts of the world.

I'm not allowed to drink while on the job. I know most places in the world have laws that are along those lines but generally turn a blind eye towards them, but recentish (9 years ago) changes up here have made it in employer's best interests to crack down on drinking. It sucks, because we do get people who are from out of province or out of the country who will order a round of shots with one extra for the bartender and I have to turn it down.

Same thing with buying rounds. Technically we're not allowed to give away drinks, although no one pays any attention to that rule. Yes, it's incredibly stupid: we can't give away free drinks, but we can give away free gift certificates that can be used on the purchase of liquor.

There's also a laundry list of dumb rules we have to adhere to. For example, after 1AM, we can only serve "two standard drinks" per person. So that can be 2 beers, a shot and a beer, two drinks or a double (2 oz).

I hate my province's liquor laws.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

leica posted:

Does she have a "following"? I love it when bartenders brag about their "following", move to a new bar and nobody follows them :v:

What's wrong with that? That is a great way to make hella bank, and make it so you are less at the mercy of being placed at X or Y bar that night.

The staff loves you for it too, because other BTs know that if they are put on a 2 person bar with you, they are doing good no matter what.

edit- Even better is if your following is because you are a fun host and person to party with, and not because you give away the bar.

Perdido posted:

I'm not allowed to drink while on the job.

I can tell I've been out of the business too long because this didn't strike me as a legitimate labor concern.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 6, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

40 OZ posted:

What's wrong with that? That is a great way to make hella bank, and make it so you are less at the mercy of being placed at X or Y bar that night.

The staff loves you for it too, because other BTs know that if they are put on a 2 person bar with you, they are doing good no matter what.

edit- Even better is if your following is because you are a fun host and person to party with, and not because you give away the bar.

I can tell I've been out of the business too long because this didn't strike me as a legitimate labor concern.

nothing wrong with being popular and having folks that want to know where (for example) you're heading for your next job. There is something wrong with bars looking to only hire people with a following - if you want a promoter pay for one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JawKnee posted:

nothing wrong with being popular and having folks that want to know where (for example) you're heading for your next job. There is something wrong with bars looking to only hire people with a following - if you want a promoter pay for one.

Yeah, about the same time I stopped bartending was about the same time employment ads started popping up that read basically like this:

"Female bartenders wanted! Please send resume with a headshot, and include links to all social media accounts"

Unsurprisingly, none of those bars are still open.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Almost universally (at least here in the Bay Area) those bars are run by total newbies, have no clue what they're doing and close immediately.

Strangely enough, when I worked in a strip club, none of those things were listed in the ads nor required of employees. Terms like "well groomed," sure. But no fitness requirements, head shots, etc.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Let's be honest. We are not talking about every bar that demands/desires DJs and bartenders that work social media for a regular crowd.

We're talking about clubz. And management would be dumb to not hire these people. And if I was the barback, I'd want to haul ice for that BT. And if they were sharing tips with me, I'd want them too, if I was another BT.

It's never gonna be common enough that it is necessary, at least in decent sized joints.

JawKnee posted:

if you want a promoter pay for one

Have you ever dealt with these people?

Shooting Blanks posted:

"Female bartenders wanted! Please send resume with a headshot, and include links to all social media accounts"

From my experience, sexist bar owners would prefer men that get lots of women at their bar, than the other way around. That way, the women who are at the bar, begat male customers that show up too.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Almost universally (at least here in the Bay Area) those bars are run by total newbies, have no clue what they're doing and close immediately.

Strangely enough, when I worked in a strip club, none of those things were listed in the ads nor required of employees. Terms like "well groomed," sure. But no fitness requirements, head shots, etc.

Yes. I've worked in "good" clubs, and this is not part of the hiring process, but people sure take notice if you are bringing a crowd.

It seems like alot of these BTs become liquor reps.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 7, 2015

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My buddy just opened a bar (his first one, but he's not trying to manage it alone) and so far, all of the people that claim they have thousands of social media followers and whatnot are insufferable assholes, and one has already been fired for being a useless rear end in a top hat prima donna prick.

EDIT: The thing I really don't like about the "servers can't drink on shift" is that, technically speaking, you can't even offer your bartender/server a taste of the wine you're drinking, which is something I like to do regularly if I've ordered a decent bottle just as a matter of courtesy. It's not like you're even going to get buzzed off a single mouthful of wine.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 8, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

40 OZ posted:

Hah, yeah I've even worked for a few of them, but I see your point.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

PT6A posted:

My buddy just opened a bar (his first one, but he's not trying to manage it alone) and so far, all of the people that claim they have thousands of social media followers and whatnot are insufferable assholes, and one has already been fired for being a useless rear end in a top hat prima donna prick.

EDIT: The thing I really don't like about the "servers can't drink on shift" is that, technically speaking, you can't even offer your bartender/server a taste of the wine you're drinking, which is something I like to do regularly if I've ordered a decent bottle just as a matter of courtesy. It's not like you're even going to get buzzed off a single mouthful of wine.

uhhhhh, yeah, Even in places that don't allow one to drink on shift, not allowing them to taste wine or cocktails is completely moronic. They seriously expect one to serve wine BTG without testing the bottle first? And not straw test every drink they served? If one of my bartenders served a drink without tasting it, they would get a very stern talking to.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

uhhhhh, yeah, Even in places that don't allow one to drink on shift, not allowing them to taste wine or cocktails is completely moronic. They seriously expect one to serve wine BTG without testing the bottle first? And not straw test every drink they served? If one of my bartenders served a drink without tasting it, they would get a very stern talking to.

Straw testing seems to get a pass, I don't know why, but it's actually illegal according to the provincial liquor commission for any serving staff to consume any alcohol on shift. It's ridiculous.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
There is no way the laws are that strict. Has anyone actually ever read one or is this all word of mouth?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Booties posted:

There is no way the laws are that strict. Has anyone actually ever read one or is this all word of mouth?
Here's Washington state's regulation for liquor license holders:

quote:

(3) Licensees have the responsibility to control their conduct and the conduct of employees and patrons on the premises at all times. Except as otherwise provided by law, licensees or employees may not:
(a) Be disorderly or apparently intoxicated on the licensed premises;
(b) Permit any disorderly person to remain on the licensed premises;
(c) Engage in or allow behavior that provokes conduct which presents a threat to public safety;
(d) Consume liquor of any kind while working on the licensed premises; except that:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=314-11-015
The exceptions are for entertainers and manufacturers. Obviously good Washington bartenders do taste their drinks, and I don't think the liquor control board has any desire to bust them for it, but it appears to be against the regulations.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Jesus. I guess you can argue that tasting and consuming aren't the same thing.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Booties posted:

Jesus. I guess you can argue that tasting and consuming aren't the same thing.
Eh, given that manufacturers have explicit exceptions for tasting for quality control (and bartenders don't), the intent is pretty explicit:

quote:

(ii) Licensed beer manufacturers and their employees may sample beer of their own manufacture for manufacturing, evaluating or pricing product in areas where the public is not served, so long as the licensee or employee does not become apparently intoxicated;

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I guess they just expect you to do all of that testing and tasting off the clock and during training. Kinda dumb.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You should be tasting every cocktail you make beyond a highball/Long Island variant... And even then, since we use house made/fresh sours I'd prefer my staff straw tasted those too, in most cases. At least the first one of the day.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You should be tasting every cocktail you make beyond a highball/Long Island variant... And even then, since we use house made/fresh sours I'd prefer my staff straw tasted those too, in most cases. At least the first one of the day.

But the state could argue you taste the sours before you use them and adjust accordingly. It's really dumb though.

What would you do if someone sent a drink back saying it's too sweet? If I was a cook and someone said the pasta was too salty I'd taste the plate to make sure. If I can't taste the sweet drink then I'm just going to make a sugarless drink that also tastes bad because I can't taste it and I'm annoyed.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
JOB KILLING REGULATIONS

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Booties posted:

But the state could argue you taste the sours before you use them and adjust accordingly. It's really dumb though.

What would you do if someone sent a drink back saying it's too sweet? If I was a cook and someone said the pasta was too salty I'd taste the plate to make sure. If I can't taste the sweet drink then I'm just going to make a sugarless drink that also tastes bad because I can't taste it and I'm annoyed.

If it's made correctly and was tasted prior to serving, then you offer to make them something different. You don't send out a lovely drink because a customer annoys you.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

even if they cannot taste tha likka?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

JawKnee posted:

even if they cannot taste tha likka?

Hose em down with the soda gun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

40 OZ posted:

I never said there's anything wrong with it, I was just poking fun at bartenders thinking they have a following then realizing they really didn't when they move to another bar. I see it all the time on the beach where bar location trumps any kind of awesome personality you think you have. I know of only a few good local bartenders that people would actually follow to another location, but they're not dumb enough to move from their prime location, and would deny they had a fan club to begin with because they aren't full of themselves.

PT6A posted:

Also this.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Shooting Blanks posted:

If it's made correctly and was tasted prior to serving, then you offer to make them something different. You don't send out a lovely drink because a customer annoys you.

no i mean if you're not allowed to taste it to figure it out then you would be annoyed while making the drink. I didn't mean make it lovely to spite the customer.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

PT6A posted:

What bar? Curious since you're in Calgary...

quote:

There are grey areas in AGLC regulation, but most establishments just opt to play it safe and straight up forbid drinking on the job and not worry about the wrinkles. Did I mention that I loving hate the AGLC? Because gently caress the AGLC.

40 OZ posted:

Also, this. It aggravates me to no end that bartenders are basically expected to be filling the joint. I get that it's a part of it, and I do bring people down on the regular, but it really bugs me when there's an expectation from owners/managers to be leveraging your social media accounts or whatever for the sake of the business. I manage to bring down enough people that it exceeds what management expects from staff with barely touching my social media accounts. No, I'm not going to spam the gently caress out of my FB.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 11, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Social media is never brought up with my bar ever, and I would never work at a bar that required that bullshit from a bartender. That should be the responsibility of the owners and managers.

[edit] The people that like you and want to come see you know when you work, there's no need for going on twitter and begging people to come to the bar that's tacky as hell. It's a manager's job to update twitter/fb with specials and what band is playing or whatever, that's all that should really be done.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 12, 2015

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
No poo poo, that's a terrible strategy and my heart goes out to anyone in those bars :/

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

leica posted:

Social media is never brought up with my bar ever, and I would never work at a bar that required that bullshit from a bartender. That should be the responsibility of the owners and managers.

[edit] The people that like you and want to come see you know when you work, there's no need for going on twitter and begging people to come to the bar that's tacky as hell. It's a manager's job to update twitter/fb with specials and what band is playing or whatever, that's all that should really be done.

I agree with you entirely, the point of that particular post was: why pay for it if you can get it for free. And if you haven't met owners/managers like that, then you're lucky and I envy you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Perdido posted:

What bar? Curious since you're in Calgary...

Eldorado. It's on 8th ave between 5th and 6th street, right across from the Globe Cinema.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

PT6A posted:

Eldorado. It's on 8th ave between 5th and 6th street, right across from the Globe Cinema.

Very cool. I believe a friend of mine is jumping ship to work there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

JawKnee posted:

I agree with you entirely, the point of that particular post was: why pay for it if you can get it for free. And if you haven't met owners/managers like that, then you're lucky and I envy you.

I live in a hospitality/tourist dominated area on the Gulf coast of Florida. Most of the people working in the business have done so for a long time and know what they are doing, and the smart managers/owners know to leave the loving bartenders alone if they are doing what they're supposed to do and liquor costs are on par. Promotion is not the bartenders job, and any owner or manager that thinks otherwise is an idiot and/or lazy and you probably shouldn't work for them.

[edit] That being said, if you want to do it then knock yourself out if you think it helps, but you should never be pressured to if you have no interest in it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 12, 2015

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

leica posted:

I live in a hospitality/tourist dominated area on the Gulf coast of Florida. Most of the people working in the business have done so for a long time and know what they are doing, and the smart managers/owners know to leave the loving bartenders alone if they are doing what they're supposed to do and liquor costs are on par. Promotion is not the bartenders job, and any owner or manager that thinks otherwise is an idiot and/or lazy and you probably shouldn't work for them.

[edit] That being said, if you want to do it then knock yourself out if you think it helps, but you should never be pressured to if you have no interest in it.

Reminds me that I gotta come down for repeal day this year.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

leica posted:

Promotion is not the bartenders job, and any owner or manager that thinks otherwise is an idiot and/or lazy and you probably shouldn't work for them.

What is a bartender's job?

If you are at a nightclub, bringing home $300 in 4 hours of work (in season), and you think that your job is the same as a person pouring service drinks in a kitchen, then we have to agree to disagree.

A nightclub owner is gonna do what they think makes them the most money. Remember, they don't have to pay you for social media promotion, and a promoter is gonna want the door money. They are only gonna force this when there is a surplus of bartenders, which there often is.

Also, all the promoters I have dealt with, have proposed that bartenders do this anyways. Although, it was never a situation where every BT was expected to bring in a crowd- it's just too rare for people to have a "following," although it certainly exists. And if I am manager, I'm sorry, I'm gonna give them a ton of shifts. Although, I might not put them at the stations that are guaranteed money, because they are gonna be ringing sales anywhere you put them.

Ultimately, it is just another skill or bonus that some have and some don't. Those stations that are gonna be swamped all night no matter what, I don't need a social media icon, I'd rather have an antisocial slinger.

edit- Sorry if this sounds mean, I just meant it to be nice discussion about an emerging technology in this field, and how management/tipped staff is dealing with it.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 12, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing it if that's what the bartender wants to do, but it should be voluntary and not required imo. And like I mentioned before, good bartenders that have following don't need social media because the people that come to see them know when they work and don't need to be reminded. A bartender that's doing well to begin with probably wouldn't feel the need to use social media as promotion, I currently don't know of any bartenders in my area that do it, and I've never heard of anyone being asked or forced to. (This is an area with lots of beach bars/restaurants/bar&grill)

However I don't have experience with nightclubs so I could see that being a completely different animal because they seem to depend on promotion a hell of a lot more than any other kinds of bars.

I don't think you're being mean, this is actually a good discussion to have. I just think as tipped employees we have to be careful about how much responsibility is put on us because some owners/managers tend to take advantage, as I'm sure some of the posters in this thread have dealt with before.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 12, 2015

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Look, all I'm saying is that if you can't flip a boston shaker behind your back while DJ'ing and getting your dick sucked by a minum nine, then you can't work here on a slow Tuesday night.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

40 OZ posted:

What is a bartender's job?

imo? making the best drinks you can and making people want to come back, which is impacted by the first req. Folks that came in to see me regularly came in because they liked how I made my cocktails, and how obsessive I get about beer. I mean, at heart it's a social thing, and it also depends on the venue, but there's a league of difference between a 19 year old pulling you a beer in a Denny's kitchen and some stud at a high class joint that's won whatever awards - and in my mind the difference isn't necessarily how popular you are.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

JawKnee posted:

imo? making the best drinks you can and making people want to come back, which is impacted by the first req. Folks that came in to see me regularly came in because they liked how I made my cocktails, and how obsessive I get about beer. I mean, at heart it's a social thing, and it also depends on the venue, but there's a league of difference between a 19 year old pulling you a beer in a Denny's kitchen and some stud at a high class joint that's won whatever awards - and in my mind the difference isn't necessarily how popular you are.

Taking leica as a case study, she said she is on the Florida Gulf Coast. I'm willing to bet most of her money is gonna come in March and that means Spring Break.

Those kids aren't there for your mindblowing cocktails. They want BUD LITE, SOMETHING CHEAP AND STRONG BRO, or waters to keep them from dying from Molly.

Not really making a big point here, just that "Bartender" encompasses all kinds of things, depending on the setting.

The BT at a spring break meat market, a strip club, a brand new nightclub, a VFW, an irish pub, etc, are all providing different services, to some extent. edit- or sizzler steakhouse, golf course, concert festival, wedding, college bar, leather bar, blah blah

edit- And I think there is nothing less in someone who is at home surrounded by 300 college kids, taking 3 orders at once, and slinging assloads of sex on the beaches than an award winning guy who makes $25 cocktails.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 13, 2015

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

40 OZ posted:

edit- And I think there is nothing less in someone who is at home surrounded by 300 college kids, taking 3 orders at once, and slinging assloads of sex on the beaches than an award winning guy who makes $25 cocktails.

Yeah this, it comes down to what crowd/environment makes you feel more comfortable, or at least the one whose expectations you manage the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm a dude bro.

Yes our peak season starts in march but it's not a big college crowd at all, and it's usually ten orders at once slinging frozen Margaritas and Rum Runners :v:

[edit] and FIREBALL shots of course

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 13, 2015

• Locked thread