Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

zari-gani posted:

RIP AGDQ 2015

This depresses me more than pictures of the end of a nerd rally should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

To be fair, the box pile was there all marathon

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the speedrunning community will ensure that CRTs will continue to be made into the far future

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

the speedrunning community will ensure that CRTs will continue to be made into the far future

Why do they use CRT? Is it a technical thing, an affordability thing? because Ive noticed a lot of runners at home use CRT as well.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dr. Atticus posted:

Why do they use CRT? Is it a technical thing, an affordability thing? because Ive noticed a lot of runners at home use CRT as well.

There's less lag, and unless you've got a converter/RGB converter it also looks better.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Modern HDTVs aren't really designed with gaming in mind, so they tend to have a bit of input lag. That issue doesn't exist on old CRTs.

A gaming monitor is a good option where possible, but old consoles don't have HDMI or DVI outputs on 'em, so...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Modern HDTVs aren't really designed with gaming in mind, so they tend to have a bit of input lag. That issue doesn't exist on old CRTs.

A gaming monitor is a good option where possible, but old consoles don't have HDMI or DVI outputs on 'em, so...

I've never really noticed any input lag on HDTV even on my SNES, but I could see it being a problem for speedrunning.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr E posted:

I've never really noticed any input lag on HDTV even on my SNES, but I could see it being a problem for speedrunning.

Yeah typically t'll be fine for normal play, but it'll ruin things like attempting frame-perfect or near-frame-perfect tricks.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mr E posted:

Depending on the monitor and the game, it can be completely unnoticable. Generally it runs in the 35-50 millisecond range, but when you need to do inputs with an accuracy of something like 16 ms it can be very detrimental. Even the best monitors have around 10-11 ms lag.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's a ton of variance. Some brands tend to be much better than others, but even within brands you get some models that are great and some that aren't.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

There was a link in the SH/SC monitor thread that had a huge comparison list about monitor lag or something but I'm not having any luck finding.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dr. Atticus posted:

Technical, for a variety of reasons.

- Most old games run at 4:3 resolution which is what almost all CRTs are.
- Most old consoles only output Composite or S-Video if you are lucky, which are the kind of inputs CRTs have typically. Later ones (like PS2 or Dreamcast) have Component or VGA.
- CRTs don't have a native resolution. Old games console and arcade hardware put out all kinds of weird crazy resolutions, and they generally all look just fine on a CRT. As opposed to LCD panels where anything other than the native resolution has to be scaled up to the native resolution.
- CRTs handle off refresh rates better. Where LCD screens have fixed refresh rates, CRTs can just do whatever you want for the most part. Lots of odd arcade boards and such will run at things like 61hz (see the Tetris block for an example) or Cave stuff tended to run at things like 57.55 Hz or whatever. LCD screens will have judder or simply drop frames entirely if they have to.

The input lag thing is a problem on a lot of TVs and monitors. Good gaming LCDs are effectively lag free, but you have to test them or find someone who has tested them with a reliable method (oscilloscope or other such 3rd party device). Upscaling can add additional lag on some displays without going through a very good third party upscaler, which is just more $$ to worry about.

Basically it's just easier to play old consoles on the screens they were designed for rather than trying to deal with all the tons of technical issues that arise if you try to run them on newer stuff.

Garrand posted:

There was a link in the SH/SC monitor thread that had a huge comparison list about monitor lag or something but I'm not having any luck finding.

This site is a pretty good resource: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

They test using a Leo Bodnar device which is a very fool proof way to test for how much lag a screen has.

There are a bunch of other review sites that will test for input lag, like TFT Central for example, but they aren't very good for researching lag specifically.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 12, 2015

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Dr. Atticus posted:

There's two major reasons:

* Lack of lag. Composite and S-video signals are old as hell and designed with CRT in mind; they're literally telling the TV when to move its electron beam. A CRT can take that signal, with very little delay/buffering/cleanup required, and directly throw it to the tube. An LCD TV, however, has to buffer up at least one frame's worth of lines, then do any scaling/color adjustment on the entire frame, then change the entire panel to a new frame all at once.

* Tolerance of a wide range of inputs. You can basically throw anything at a CRT -- 240p60, 480i60, 480p30, etc. -- in any horizontal resolution you like, and it'll do it. (A good CRT will even be able to handle oddball poo poo, like arcade devices that output 53Hz or 61Hz.)

LCDs tend to be relatively picky in comparison -- and even if it accepts the signal, it might insist on resizing it to the native resolution of the panel, which means lag. Also, if a consumer LCD even has a S-Video or composite input, it's probably going to be optimized for 480i60, because that's what most broadcast TV is. It might try to forcibly interlace a 240p60 signal as if it were 480i60, then deinterlace it to 480p30, producing a mushy mess. This is why dedicated low-lag upscalers like the XRGB Mini "Framemeister" exist.

It's not really a format thing -- you can find high-end CRTs that can accept YPrPb component, or RGBHV signals. (Mostly in the form of surplus broadcast monitors.) This is the best of both worlds, if you can get it -- you get the low lag of a CRT, but high visual quality.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

DaveKap posted:

I'm kinda sad bonus stream is so dead because wasn't it last year's bonus stream when YoCo League happened? Now there are fewer chances for GB's UPF-like silliness. :(

There was a YoCo tournament on Friday and the grand finals were going to be on bonus stream, but neither player was going to be able to stay that long.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

KevinDDR streams again. May the Tetris run never end.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

beep by grandpa posted:

Why are you being such a big whiny baby over a dumb word?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Every *GDQ has some gimmick or buzzword that gets run into the ground, so I doubt there'll be any 'my dad died from cancer and it made me super-sad KILL THE ANIMALS HYPE!' next year.

You're pretty dumb dude.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bonus Stream should just be a white piece of paper sign up sheet with whatever game/speedrun/activity you want to do that doesn't exceed 2 hours.

I hope it returns for SGDQ.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Harlock posted:

Bonus Stream should just be a white piece of paper sign up sheet with whatever game/speedrun/activity you want to do that doesn't exceed 2 hours.

They tried that last year, it didn't work as planned.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Harlock posted:

It was this, and then shitheads would erase stuff on the list and write their own run(s) up there.

Personally, if I were the Grand High Poobah of GDQ Bonus Stream, my rules for it would be that it would only be for people who did not have a run in the main marathon and they could only do one run of reasonable length (unless it was like multiple 5-10 minute things).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It was this, and then shitheads would erase stuff on the list and write their own run(s) up there.
I guess use pen :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
1.5 million holy poo poo.

I thought donations were way down but obviously paypal sucks and ruined the real time hype of reaching 1 and a half million. That means the event continues to grow at an obscene pace. All of the totals off the top of my head

CGDQ 2010: 10k
AGDQ 2011: 120k
AGDQ 2012: 250k
AGDQ 2013: 450k
AGDQ 2014: 1mil
AGDQ 2015: 1.5 mil

Think 2 million will be next year's goal or does this thing eventually plateau?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Think 2 million will be next year's goal or does this thing eventually plateau?

Yes.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It wasn't a Paypal issue. Thank god for that, since that would've been a nightmare to straighten out I imagine. It was a bug in their tracker software.

Edit: Also, you can check the totals for each event on their tracker: https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

It's also a back-and-forth energy thing -- SGDQ usually brings in less donations. I want to say that for 2014, AGDQ brought in 1M, and SGDQ brought ~700K.

SGDQ tends to be more laid-back and goofy, though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Speaking of things we'd like to see next time, how about less sponsor reading. I realize that the sponsors statements need to be read, but saying it 3 and 4 times during the same run while stumbling over the statement got real annoying real fast. I still have no idea what Tiny Build did for the event at all, just what Tiny Build is. Also, maybe don't have bonus games in the setup times so we don't fall 5 hours behind.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ullerrm posted:

It's also a back-and-forth energy thing -- SGDQ usually brings in less donations. I want to say that for 2014, AGDQ brought in 1M, and SGDQ brought ~700K.

SGDQ tends to be more laid-back and goofy, though.

But will SGDQ allow the anime plushies on the couch? This is what really matters :colbert:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
After an entire week I still don't know what Tinybuild does other than "publishes games" and what it's relevance is to AGDQ. :shrug: It's kind of a stupid ad.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I assumed they made bad flash games?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

After an entire week I still don't know what Tinybuild does other than "publishes games" and what it's relevance is to AGDQ. :shrug: It's kind of a stupid ad.

Exactly, stuff like Humble Bundle and Yetee, and Something Artistic make sense. I know that World 9 provided the setup rooms, but no idea what Tinybuild did.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr E posted:

Exactly, stuff like Humble Bundle and Yetee, and Something Artistic make sense. I know that World 9 provided the setup rooms, but no idea what Tinybuild did.
Probably just gave a chunk of money to GDQ LLC. That's normally what sponsors do.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mr E posted:

Pay a decent chunk of setup costs and stuff probably. I'd be surprised if they donated as much as the others to either half of AGDQ though since they're a tiny indie company who makes bad games.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

One of the games in the AGDQ Humble Bundle (Speedrunners) is also published by Tiny Build.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elliotw2 posted:

a tiny indie company who makes bad games.

lovely planet is better than whatever horseshit you're playing hth

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Cubey posted:

lovely planet is better than whatever horseshit you're playing hth

They only published that, but it is cool, yes.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Gimnbo posted:

One of the games in the AGDQ Humble Bundle (Speedrunners) is also published by Tiny Build.

but none of the actual games in the marathon were

What gets me is they managed to get some Turtle Beach money without having to show their logo the whole time and have TB headsets for the runners

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Mr E posted:

Speaking of things we'd like to see next time, how about less sponsor reading. I realize that the sponsors statements need to be read, but saying it 3 and 4 times during the same run while stumbling over the statement got real annoying real fast. I still have no idea what Tiny Build did for the event at all, just what Tiny Build is. Also, maybe don't have bonus games in the setup times so we don't fall 5 hours behind.

Yes, but how do we setup the bonus games? ;) I actually do like this idea, though -- there are a ton of speedruns, especially if you dig into TASes, that last a couple of minutes. They could be run on a laptop, and provide some quick easy filler if setup runs long.

With that said: I think there is some value to having at least 5 minutes of downtime between games. It gives people a chance to get up and piss, it gives announcers a chance to read some longer donation messages and sponsor bits, it's a mental slowdown time. Just have the TASes or whatever ready to go if setup's having issues and it takes longer than 5 minutes.

Speaking of sponsor statements; it's always possible to just suggest that they be pre-recorded. Doesn't have to be video, an audio would do. They could even provide a couple of audio files with different readers to do some variety.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Mr E posted:

If you're not noticing that then your reaction times must be horrible, plus the terrible blur from upscaling.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

EDIT: nvm

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I didn't mind the stuff the hosts had to read for advertisers but that loving tiny build advertisement in stream was dog poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gibbo posted:

If you're not noticing that then your reaction times must be horrible, plus the terrible blur from upscaling.

Eh, there aren't many SNES games where you'd notice even harsh input lag playing casually.

• Locked thread