Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I believe this aside from "I wasn't pushy or anything" to really be preaching about Shitcoin like a spergy religious zealot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Regardless of whether he was non-registered staff at a financial firm or a registered investment advisor, what he did if it happened would have been a huge problem. People who are non-registered (don't have their securities licenses, basically) staff aren't allowed to give any kind of info or reports on investments, they aren't allowed to discuss investments with clients or the public even in a casual way, or say anything that could be construed in any way as investment advice or solicitation about any type of product, up to and including regular-rear end blue-chip stocks, mutual funds, bonds, etc. On the other hand even if he WAS a registered advisor with his securities licenses, he would get in a poo poo-ton of trouble if he could have been perceived as trying to solicit sales in or advising a client to invest in something stupid and legally unregulated like bitcoin.

This story makes him sound like a huge dumb idiot baby so I feel like it could be poo poo that did happen, and in that case he's pretty lucky that he just lost his job and didn't cause the client to go out and buy bitcoin, lose a bunch of money, come back and sue the firm for "having advised him" to do so. Though since he's just staff I don't know that they have a lot of recourse against him other than just firing him even in that situation, but if he was a registered advisor he could be forced to pay massive penalties and fines, have injunctions against working at any investment firms for any amount of time, have a pretty permanent black mark put on his records, etc etc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The title being "don't judge me!!" truly paints the picture of a broken man

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

Regardless of whether he was non-registered staff at a financial firm or a registered investment advisor, what he did if it happened would have been a huge problem.

Even without that, it's probably enough of a firing offense that what he's saying to clients is causing them to want to withdraw business from the firm. He tries to downplay it by saying it's only a "single-digit percentage" of a six-digit investment, but at the very least, that's $1,000 he could have lost them just by spewing his weird opinions about the fed and inflation and bitcoin at clients. And since that post just oozes cluelessness, it's probably 100% that whatever he said to his boss indicated that he didn't get the problem with what he said and would therefore be a risk in the future. Urging the boss to watch a bunch of Youtube videos to prove his point probably didn't help, either.

What's unbelievable to me, but seems to be true, is that he was able to post all that and completely believe that he is the reasonable one in this situation. The whole scene between him and his boss sounds utterly loony.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lowly posted:

What's unbelievable to me, but seems to be true, is that he was able to post all that and completely believe that he is the reasonable one in this situation. The whole scene between him and his boss sounds utterly loony.

If this was coming from anywhere but the bitcoin community, I'd agree with you. But bitcoiners are a special breed.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

moerketid posted:

I believe this aside from "I wasn't pushy or anything" to really be preaching about Shitcoin like a spergy religious zealot.

Yeah, "I wasn't being pushy, Bitcoin just came up naturally in the conversation"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
And then the client asked a bunch of questions about it and seemed really intrigued! He also asked if he could have several pamphlets that coincidentally were in my hand as I was talking to him

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

EmmyOk posted:

The title being "don't judge me!!" truly paints the picture of a broken man

Imgur is full of soldier worshippers so when in need of internet points, just post some poo poo about killing people

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

See? That's from the last 6 hours

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

And she's already listed as "Bay." Sounds like it's a little late to be talking dimensions

Also, yeah, it IS rude to ask someone their weight, and for some reason it is not rude to ask them their height, unless you are looking at them. Also, isn't id a double standard then to ask the girl about her weight instead of also asking about her height? :colbert:

Laughing that the URL is "owned.com" though. I imagine that would be a "better" source than NAW and NAR.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Funny thing is I can believe this one. My ex decided to join the army, and on her first leave there were dire warnings about everything like not being allowed to drive and not being allowed to have sex (as if that one ever gets listened to); they even used the phrase "destruction of government property" in case she got injured doing anything she signed she wouldn't (or got knocked up, which would obviously put her out of commission just as equally as a car crash from their point of view)

vvv: Oh, by all means, I'm just saying the wording's certainly possible

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Jan 11, 2015

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Sentient Data posted:

Funny thing is I can believe this one. My ex decided to join the army, and on her first leave there were dire warnings about everything like not being allowed to drive and not being allowed to have sex (as if that one ever gets listened to); they even used the phrase "destruction of government property" in case she got injured doing anything she signed she wouldn't (or got knocked up, which would obviously put her out of commission just as equally as a car crash from their point of view)

Yea, that's just scare tactics. A charge for a hickey won't hold up to anything, but you might get in trouble for it and have to scrub a floor or two. There's nothing they can do about pregnancy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

sweeperbravo posted:

And she's already listed as "Bay." Sounds like it's a little late to be talking dimensions

Also, yeah, it IS rude to ask someone their weight, and for some reason it is not rude to ask them their height, unless you are looking at them. Also, isn't id a double standard then to ask the girl about her weight instead of also asking about her height? :colbert:

Laughing that the URL is "owned.com" though. I imagine that would be a "better" source than NAW and NAR.

That's tinder, people are automatically listed by their name. That screenshot is purportedly the first conversation they're having.

The part until his comeback is entirely believable; I've been on the guy end of it often enough to give up on tinder altogether (I'm 5'7", I don't get an "oh good")

Heck I don't have that hard a time believing the second half, honestly.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

FrozenVent posted:

That's tinder, people are automatically listed by their name. That screenshot is purportedly the first conversation they're having.

The part until his comeback is entirely believable; I've been on the guy end of it often enough to give up on tinder altogether (I'm 5'7", I don't get an "oh good")

Heck I don't have that hard a time believing the second half, honestly.

This is one of those delicious STDH that is believable but makes the original poster just look sad and pathetic instead of who they purport is the "bad guy". So another win for the thread, anyway.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

This is one of those delicious STDH that is believable but makes the original poster just look sad and pathetic instead of who they purport is the "bad guy". So another win for the thread, anyway.
I dunno, I'm 6' 3" and I still think it's weird when a girl's whole Tinder profile is "Under 6ft swipe left", especially when they're really not in a position looks-wise to be that picky. If I was bored enough I'd probably troll people in the same way (except for that weird "numerical digits" paragraph that no real woman would ever reply to, which is the thing that makes it STDH).

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I thought the "how tall are you?" was going to be some version of "I didn't know they stacked poo poo that high." I'm actually pretty disappointed.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

jodai posted:

I thought the "how tall are you?" was going to be some version of "I didn't know they stacked poo poo that high." I'm actually pretty disappointed.

The joke just reminds me of how goons used to crash the Gorgeous George show.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Ghost Cow Goes Boo posted:

I dunno, I'm 6' 3" and I still think it's weird when a girl's whole Tinder profile is "Under 6ft swipe left", especially when they're really not in a position looks-wise to be that picky. If I was bored enough I'd probably troll people in the same way (except for that weird "numerical digits" paragraph that no real woman would ever reply to, which is the thing that makes it STDH).

On the bright side this is a great way of eliminating people who would be too lovely to date anyway. Also it would be great if someone who was 6ft in circumference applied for the position.

Sorry your attempts at online dating w/tinder sucked, frozenvent.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That one's a satire, though.

What do the missing letter spell out?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

That one's a satire, though.

What do the missing letter spell out?

All that's missing is an L and he said dead not death in the bottom paragraph? Am I crazy? I read it like 4 times.

Am I missing a joke?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Family time.

quote:

RANDOM STORY
ADD A STORY
Winter Fat
HOME | SHIPPENSBURG, PA, USA | PARENTS & GUARDIANS, SIBLINGS
(This occurs after a family meeting discussing the need for my brother, age 21, and I, age 19, to pay a little rent for oil in the upcoming winter months.)

Brother: “If we are helping to pay for oil, does that mean we can tell you to just put on some clothes?”

Dad: “What are you talking about?”

Me: “Let me handle this. Instead of turning up the heat while dressed as you are now—” *gestures to him only wearing boxer briefs* “—it would be more cost-efficient for you to put on a robe or some sweat pants or at least a pair of socks. For example: I got cold while I was downstairs. So, rather than turning on the kerosene heater, I just put on my robe and a pair of slippers to be comfortable.”

Dad: “Well, that’s different. I’m older than you.”

Me: “That gives you more clothes to choose from.”

(My mother and brother are trying as hard as they can not to laugh.)

Dad: “I have a different body make-up.”

Me: “Well… that’s true; you do have more blubber…” *shakes his extended belly* “But even woolly mammoths need fur.”

(Cue everyone bursting out laughing.)

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

nucleicmaxid posted:

All that's missing is an L and he said dead not death in the bottom paragraph? Am I crazy? I read it like 4 times.

Am I missing a joke?

He misspelled rookie in the poster. So L-I-E.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Gizmo Chicken posted:

He misspelled rookie in the poster. So L-I-E.

I uh... Is that actually a thing ? Or are we just overthinking here ?

You are now making me paranoid about posting imgur stdh

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Jan 11, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Fathis Munk posted:

I uh... Is that actually a thing ? Or are we just overthinking here ?

You are now making me paranoid about posting imgur stdh

Look at the tag for this one.

Also the least believable thing about the other one is that the guy thinks he's gonna be arrested for punching the crazy chick when there is a loving knife at the scene that he and his wife can confirm that the crazy bitch threatened the wife with.

Testekill has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Jan 11, 2015

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Testekill posted:

Also the least believable thing about the other one is that the guy thinks he's gonna be arrested for punching the crazy chick when there is a loving knife at the scene that he and his wife can confirm that the crazy bitch threatened the wife with.

No you see he's such a badass people are always suspecting him of killing terrorists and pedophiles and racists and gosh maybe that puppy over there with his bare hands. Looking awesome is a curse I tell you. Happens to me all the time. What people don't realize is that I'm gentle as a teddy bear with a heart of diamond gold in the rough.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Testekill posted:

Look at the tag for this one.

Yeah I know, sometimes even imgur calls them out on it (though rest assured, most of the comments still believe it's an actual story), but in the end the dude who uploaded it probably still did so thinking it was a believable story.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

I know this DH, but if it had, I'm sure he referred to the ex as a "[nationality] ball of fire" at some point too. No one is crazy until you break up; while you're together, they're "fiery," "passionate," "hot-blooded," and "intense." Then you break up and that person doesn't change but somehow becomes "the craziest of all my crazy exes." When he and the wife split, she'll suddenly be crazy too, instead of fiery. Also, it says a lot about your tastes and compunctions when more than one of your exes is crazy.

My point is, even this made-up story makes the author look like a dumb dingus.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

"I'm going to word this meme so that it sounds like I got away with domestic abuse" :smuggo:

I'm guessing 99% of the comments are along the lines of "People say not to hit women, but I'm just so edgy I'd hit anyone trying to threaten me!" *unpopular puffin meme*

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Still a little sore..

My hand hurts the worst.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Still a little sore..

My hand hurts the worst.

My friend did this once except he pushed the guy and as soon as he did the guy's girlfriend jumped on his back and started trying to claw my friend's eyes out. Screaming at him "why did you hit my boyfriend etc." He disentangled himself and ran off then. No applause at all :smith:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

My friend did this once except he pushed the guy and as soon as he did the guy's girlfriend jumped on his back and started trying to claw my friend's eyes out. Screaming at him "why did you hit my boyfriend etc." He disentangled himself and ran off then. No applause at all :smith:

This is actually a thing that happens really frequently. Don't get involved in partner fights, just call the cops, unless you feel someone's life is being threatened.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm sure most of these had some basis in fact, but ginned up to be more outrageous:
http://qz.com/322045/im-a-blonde-woman-engineering-student-at-mit-heres-what-people-say-to-me/
The author, apparently: http://i.imgur.com/OG2UamM.jpg

I wish she had the balls to say she was hot, and not "a blonde woman." Like anyone gives a gently caress you're blonde. The "engineering student" humblebrag is also galling, as though being hot and majoring in Writing at MIT is somehow more ok.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure most of these had some basis in fact, but ginned up to be more outrageous:
http://qz.com/322045/im-a-blonde-woman-engineering-student-at-mit-heres-what-people-say-to-me/

I wish she had the balls to say she was hot, and not "a blonde woman." Like anyone gives a gently caress you're blonde. The "engineering student" humblebrag is also galling, as though being hot and majoring in Writing at MIT is somehow more ok.

Wow her life must be a nightmare.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did you know niggardly is a real word but is not an adjective for niggers? Yes you did because you're not a spastic. Some people don't apparently, and here's some STDH based around this hilarious misunderstanding

http://imgur.com/gallery/RAKPS

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

EmmyOk posted:

Did you know niggardly is a real word but is not an adjective for niggers? Yes you did because you're not a spastic. Some people don't apparently, and here's some STDH based around this hilarious misunderstanding

http://imgur.com/gallery/RAKPS

The only time anyone ever uses that word is to show how ~edgy~ and un-PC they are. There are so many synonyms that are way clearer, why not just say "stingy" or "cheap"?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

PUGGERNAUT posted:

The only time anyone ever uses that word is to show how ~edgy~ and un-PC they are. There are so many synonyms that are way clearer, why not just say "stingy" or "cheap"?

BECAUSE it's a SOCIOLOGY EXPERIMENT DUH!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

kimbo305 posted:

The least believable part is that she doesn't seem to have a constant 'honor guard' of male students following protecting her every move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

kimbo305 posted:

You know, I can totally believe that as a good looking woman in a male dominated field you'll get dumb remarks from time to time but those seem so way over the top. Maybe she was just trying to get a point across :v:

Wizard of Smart posted:

BECAUSE it's a SOCIOLOGY EXPERIMENT DUH!

I lost it at the whole "it's actually a social experiment on racist bias! Do you see how smart I am? I'm super clever right guys?"

:sigh:

• Locked thread