Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Dias posted:

Eh, but then it falls on the "trying to grow the local community" - Calgary is local for him, not Vancouver. It might be a losing effort, but hey, kudos. It's hard to price these things too - your comparison is valid, but you can also buy a $60 game that you'll play for five hours or a PPV that lasts three. You can't quantify your product's worth until you actually try charging your audience when it comes to niche entertainment media. I'm not paying $15 for the stream. $5 (that's a twitch sub, right?), I might impulse-buy it (dollar-real ratio is killing my international impulse buys tho) , but that's me.

The Population of California is greater than that of Canada, in a much smaller area. You have to keep that in mind when talking about any sort of "community growth".

Greater Vancouver is 2.5 million people, with a large percentage of Asian heritage, 2 universities, and multiple technical colleges, and closer ties to Seattle.

Calgary is floating a little under 1mil, with a large percentage of kids that like trucks, guns, and the conservative government. There's very little local community to grow.

It just makes more sense for him as a return on investment to focus his work in Vancouver.

It would also help him get bigger names there without having to pay, as flying to Seattle from anywhere in the states and driving/bussing up is cheaper than flying directly, so more top players might do it of their own accord.

Also, PPVs are priced with the fact that people will generally split the cost and host watching parties. An FGC stream is something you throw on your second monitor and watch while doing something else, and turn your full attention to for the players you care about and the finals.

I should mention I don't live in Vancouver. I did for a while and I'm not a fan of the city. Just so you know this isn't "Why isn't he doing it where I live" poutiness if anyone wanted to call me on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
loving A, cast blanka lost all his patience SM H

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The REAL Goobusters posted:

One of my irl best friends made top 16 winners at KIT that owns. He's Cast Blanka, a pretty good/annoying blanka keep a lookout for him!

Winner's bracket
EG|Justin Wong (Rufus)
XSK_Hamad (Fei Long)
EG|Ricky Ortiz (Rufus)
BP|Cast Blanka (Blanka)
YG Joel
Coin Up Ludovic (Chun-Li)
Perfect Legend (Yun)
SteamCo|Sanford Kelly (Oni, Sagat)

Loser's bracket
VGP|cHaotix (Dudley)
Ranmasama (Rufus, Decapre)
EG|K-Brad (Cammy)
Magnegro
Boom Cube
KIT|Nice1
Kreymore (Guy)
TS|Sabin (Dhalsim)

Too bad about your friend.

Since Luffy only got to Canada today, does he have to play every match? Is he going to be okay?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hypocrisy posted:

Too bad about your friend.

Since Luffy only got to Canada today, does he have to play every match? Is he going to be okay?

He's been traveling for three days and has to play seven first-to-seven matches against the best players in the world.

He looks a little frazzled, honestly, but right now he's two for three despite everything.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sarchasm posted:

He's been traveling for three days and has to play seven first-to-seven matches against the best players in the world.

He looks a little frazzled, honestly, but right now he's two for three despite everything.

Apparently he beat Xiao Hai's Yun 7-1. drat.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Xiaohai best Sagat?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Remember when SnakeEyez picked up Oni because Chris T kept counter picking him with Sagat?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I can't loving stand this commentator.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Dias posted:

Apparently he beat Xiao Hai's Yun 7-1. drat.

And he won all seven in a row after giving up the first game.

Snake just got 7-0ed versus Xiaouhai's Sagat, and went from second place to fifth place based on that one game. It was really hard to watch which is why I'm playing with the iPad instead of watching the stream.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Luffy looks like the most tired man in the world.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Foodahn posted:

He always does tho.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress yes Cast he clutched that poo poo out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Xian's Elena. :drat:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Foodahn posted:

In the final seconds of that match he was using reflect to build meter when he already had a full bar. Dude is already out of gas.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Foodahn posted:

It took him forever and a half to just get there and now he has to run the gauntlet all in one day while everyone else got two

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
At least he's warmed up?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Holy hell, Justin.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Next (and last?) match at CanadaCup Masters is Luffy vs Daigo. If Daigo wins this match, he wins the whole thing, if walking-zombie-person Luffy wins, Kazunoko will have enough points to win.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Foodahn posted:

Next (and last?) match at CanadaCup Masters is Luffy vs Daigo. If Daigo wins this match, he wins the whole thing, if walking-zombie-person Luffy wins, Kazunoko will have enough points to win.

Luffy has to be like super delirious right now.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

teagone posted:

Luffy has to be like super delirious right now.

Louffy sees everyone as Evil Wolf Ryu, doesn't know which one to fight.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Remember when everyone said Rose was OP and brain dead

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Xian caught three Luffy backdashes in a row at one point, Kazunoko used hold forward as oki and Daigo had a four-for-four success rate interrupting cr.MP spiral with U1. Luffy was free to PR Rog's reads and OSes too and Snakeeyez came out of his set saying Justin's three week-old Rose plays the Gief matchup better. I don't want to read too much into a day of SF4 after that poor dude spent three days on the road and got four hours of sleep but Luffy looked bad today, not Rose. Sick event either way, more of that please.

E: Best + saddest moment of the entire event was Snakeeyez saying he's going to pick up a sub character :911:

Mio Bison fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 12, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mio Bison posted:

Xian caught three Luffy backdashes in a row at one point, Kazunoko used hold forward as oki and Daigo had a four-for-four success rate interrupting cr.MP spiral with U1. Luffy was free to PR Rog's reads and OSes too and Snakeeyez came out of his set saying Justin's three week-old Rose plays the Gief matchup better. I don't want to read too much into a day of SF4 after that poor dude spent three days on the road and got four hours of sleep but Luffy looked bad today, not Rose. Sick event either way, more of that please.

E: Best + saddest moment of the entire event was Snakeeyez saying he's going to pick up a sub character :911:

They should make top 8 at Evo round robin FT5. Or would that take too long.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mio Bison posted:

Maybe he'll play Hawk.

Also, yeah, by all accounts Luffy played terrible today. Rose is top 10 (okay there are 15 characters on top 10, that's beside the point), but you can punish her "abusable" (focus backdash, cr.mp spiral) stuff if you're looking for it/the other guy's off his game or poo poo like I am.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Please tell me nobody has bought Canada Cup for $14.95

proudly did not.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Ultra top 8 from KiT starting soon, maybe.

Top 8 Winners
EG|HelloKittyRicky vs. DL|WTHamad
EG|JWong vs. CoinUp|Ludovic

Top 8 Losers
TL.DSC.BP|Cast Blanka vs. EG|K-Brad
Perfect Legend vs. YG|Joel

https://www.twitch.tv/pandaxgaming

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I disagree, I think today really showed off the deficiencies of Rose as a character. All you have to do to beat her is ensure that your opponent gets stuck in an airport for three days and only gets four hours of sleep the night before the tourney. I admit that it's a little setup intensive, but you can't deny the results.

Mio Bison posted:

Xian caught three Luffy backdashes in a row at one point, Kazunoko used hold forward as oki and Daigo had a four-for-four success rate interrupting cr.MP spiral with U1.

Poor guy was so out of it that he was playing entirely on muscle memory. I kept hoping that he would just stop at MP and punish Daigo's Ultra but Louffy was just all brainstem at that point and no higher functions.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The REAL Goobusters posted:

gently caress yes Cast he clutched that poo poo out.

2-3 against KBrad (coming back from being down 0-2). He should be proud even if he wasn't able to seal the deal at the end.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 12, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So much for Justin's new loyalty. Going back to Rufus after one loss.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hell yeah Hamad! Coming back from being down 0-2 in losers.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

Hell yeah Hamad! Coming back from being down 0-2 in losers.

With the super-humble interview. Congrats to him.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Class from Arturo all the way down referring to Ricky as "he" every time she was on camera.

At least the other guy started correcting himself after I called them out on twitter but god drat

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

2-3 against KBrad (coming back from being down 0-2). He should be proud even if he wasn't able to seal the deal at the end.

Thanks for the heads up on this! I was driving back to Austin so I missed this, definitely gonna hit up the vods later.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Death Bot posted:

Class from Arturo all the way down referring to Ricky as "he" every time she was on camera.

At least the other guy started correcting himself after I called them out on twitter but god drat

It's probably not the easiest thing to break that habit for someone Art has known for well over a decade. Not every slip is malicious.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Tae posted:

So much for Justin's new loyalty. Going back to Rufus after one loss.

Well still for 3 weeks of playing rose second place with her?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Death Bot posted:

Thank you for linking us to your twitter.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Lol literal neckbeard

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Yeah I'm not here for follows on an account I never tweet on or for fashion critiques on a picture from high school, thanks anyways guys.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

TenaciousJ posted:

It's probably not the easiest thing to break that habit for someone Art has known for well over a decade. Not every slip is malicious.

There weren't slips. Both of them said he every single time until they say my tweet. Then raph corrected himself sometimes and art kept saying he.

He's had plenty of time to figure this out and get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
leave art alone he has a broken heart