Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I used to think poison+insane defense was the best way to deal with FOEs, but I was wrong. Panic + beefed up myriad arrows is one of the best ways to obliterate bosses. Other effective alternatives would include having binds, linking, and death chaser. If you're having poor luck with panic sticking, then linking is probably the best alternative. It's just not going to have 4k crits that hit 5-7 times in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Whelp, none of my persona have Tentarafoo, agility binds or Myriad Arrows, so I guess that plan is out. Really though, what annoys me more than anything is the constant knockdown. Granted, the FOEs cast Mamudoon which has a tendency to kill everyone who isn't immune to it (i.e. everyone except Souji*), but at least I can dodge them.

I should really get better persona though. But it's hard to care when Naoto instantly explodes pretty much everything else I come across without breaking a sweat.

* Seriously, how hard can it be to make sure the mostly-canonical name fits in the name entry? I pondered "Narukm Yuu" for a while but it looked even dumber, so I caved and he's Seta Souji now.

Have you gotten to the point where getting skill cards is viable yet? Because you can get Impure Reach and Tentarafoo from some relatively-early demons, and barring that, with smart fusing you can create one or two sub-Persona that have that combo. If you stick it on a fairly fast character, even if they have low luck like Yosuke, they can usually panic them right off the bat with the other characters following up with multi-hit skills.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

MohShuvuu posted:

I used to think poison+insane defense was the best way to deal with FOEs, but I was wrong. Panic + beefed up myriad arrows is one of the best ways to obliterate bosses. Other effective alternatives would include having binds, linking, and death chaser. If you're having poor luck with panic sticking, then linking is probably the best alternative. It's just not going to have 4k crits that hit 5-7 times in one go.
Poison and defense is the best way to handle the first two labyrinths or so, when you don't have Myriad Arrows or all that much offense at all. Around the third is when I transitioned to Panic.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Okay, so I went back and pulled some crappy level 7 persona out of the compendium and made a Tentarafoo card for Naoto. Christ on wheels, that girl could solo the entire game more or less. High agility, high luck, strong area-of-effect instant-kill spells... what can't she do? I'm sorry for ever doubting you on that one. Panic really is busted strong when it works.

Then I spent all my money on 400,000 a pop armor for everyone.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
When do you get the ability to make skill cards? I've just reached the third labyrinth, and it would be super handy to put some links on Kanji's main persona, since currently he's using Orpheus Telos with all four link abilities, Double Link and Golden Link, and that leaves no room for anything else.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
second or third floor of that labyrinth, i think rise and fuuka will tell you to go to the velvet room.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Is the final boss supposed to be hard?

Panic stuck first turn, before the boss could even make a move. It was all downhill from there. Afte the first wave of attacks, it had lost a third of its health. Next turn heroic gemini triggers and Kanji gets two Myriad Arrows, most of which crit. I think the game made the boss hang onto 1 HP just to make sure it could say all its lines. I'm sure its attacks would be very scary if it was able to use any of them. :v:

The spider boss before it was kind of a joke too, but the leg gimmick made it take longer. It wasn't any more difficult, just longer. Maybe I should bump the difficulty up in NG+...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Panic stuck first turn, before the boss could even make a move. It was all downhill from there. Afte the first wave of attacks, it had lost a third of its health. Next turn heroic gemini triggers and Kanji gets two Myriad Arrows, most of which crit. I think the game made the boss hang onto 1 HP just to make sure it could say all its lines. I'm sure its attacks would be very scary if it was able to use any of them. :v:

The spider boss before it was kind of a joke too, but the leg gimmick made it take longer. It wasn't any more difficult, just longer. Maybe I should bump the difficulty up in NG+...

Difficulty bumping doesn't help much unfortunately due to the way status effects work.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Haifisch posted:

Well, when I fought him, he got out of panic after 2 turns, cast a Diarahan equivalent, then I couldn't get an ailment to stick for the rest of the battle so he got to use this time stopping ability that was the equivalent of Dragon's Eye from Nocturne. Didn't help him much, but it was pretty scary at the time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I missed panic on my first turn, he got his gimmick spell off, then I killed him on my second. :shrug:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

KingEffingFrost posted:

Well, when I fought him, he got out of panic after 2 turns, cast a Diarahan equivalent, then I couldn't get an ailment to stick for the rest of the battle so he got to use this time stopping ability that was the equivalent of Dragon's Eye from Nocturne. Didn't help him much, but it was pretty scary at the time.

never saw him cast the time stop, but even with that his only attacks are some -dyne spells that i don't remember being especially threatening. the only thing you're really in danger from is the gimmick spell, and even that has caveats. even if the timer runs out, the party member just dies normally and you can revive them and the timer will be gone. for most of the fight i was figuring that running out of time would straight up remove them from the battle, but nope.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've made it to Floor 4 of the IPE, please tell me this floor isn't as bad as Floor 3 was :(

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Volt Catfish posted:

I've made it to Floor 4 of the IPE, please tell me this floor isn't as bad as Floor 3 was :(

Well, it's definitely not the same level of bad as Floor 3.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Volt Catfish posted:

good news friend, it's worse.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

gently caress

Is the final labyrinth not obnoxious at least?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it gets pretty confusing near the end, but it's still considerably less of a slog than the pride exhibit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i feel it would have been pretty frustrating if the foes weren't easy to kill

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the last dungeon has a gimmick that would be tedious as hell if there was any reason whatsoever to do it instead of just murdering the FOEs.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

As one-dimensional as the characterizations in this game are, I legitimately think Yukiko is an improvement over her character in the original game. She might even be my favorite character in this game.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tir McDohl posted:

As one-dimensional as the characterizations in this game are, I legitimately think Yukiko is an improvement over her character in the original game. She might even be my favorite character in this game.

I didn't find Yukiko to be any different than she was in P4. She still laughs at stupid jokes and loves ghost stories. I love Yukiko's interaction with Yukari about the Evil Spirit Club.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She seems about the same to me, in that I can not for the life of me think of anything she did in this game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Manatee Cannon posted:

She seems about the same to me, in that I can not for the life of me think of anything she did in this game.

She tried to brutally murder Teddie during the shrink potion segment of the first labyrinth.

Sadly, she failed, but points for effort at least.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Yukiko does have the best enemy engagement line for the Shallow Okinas, at least.

"Sir, you shouldn't wander off like that!"

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

She's sarcastic and makes fun of everything. In the original game she'd be too busy getting embarrassed and being oblivious.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nessa posted:

I didn't find Yukiko to be any different than she was in P4. She still laughs at stupid jokes and loves ghost stories. I love Yukiko's interaction with Yukari about the Evil Spirit Club.

She's a lot more 'Snow Black' this time around, at least. A lot of things would pass over her head in P4 with a few exceptions (mostly regarding Teddie), this time around she's much faster with the ice-cold treatment.

My solution to the character limit for P4MC was 'Yu Dojima'. The next best thing. :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Suspicious Cook posted:

Yukiko does have the best enemy engagement line for the Shallow Okinas, at least.

"Sir, you shouldn't wander off like that!"

She also has a line about "not judging" the Jotun enemy, but I don't remember specifically how it went.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i thought it was funny that one time when somebody said something dumb and they all started waiting for her to burst out laughing and she was like "i don't get it"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I thought it was funny and then they do it ten more times

also the same goes for a lot of the jokes in the game

edit: made it to the final labyrinth but I'm started to get tired of the game and the emotional payoff already happened so I might just drop the difficulty down to babby mode I dunno

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 13, 2015

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Volt Catfish posted:

also the same goes for a lot of the jokes in the game

personally i could tolerate anything except for everything teddie ever did or said so of course they gave him 50x more screen time than anyone else

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How do I stop the Old Doll from using Diarahan? It seems to be immune to Binds (or at least so resistant they will never land) and it doesn't seem like I'm tripping some sort of spiteful counter. Do I just have to come back later when my offense has improved so I can win the race?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 14, 2015

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Alabaster White posted:

How do I stop the Old Doll from using Diarahan? It seems to be immune to Binds (or at least so resistant they will never land) and it doesn't seem like I'm tripping some sort of spiteful counter. Do I just have to come back later when my offense has improved?

You can hit it with Hama.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah it's the only FOE in the game you can use instant death on. It only resists light rather than null it like all other FOEs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah it's the only FOE in the game you can use instant death on. It only resists light rather than null it like all other FOEs.

It also works on the babies.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I was going to say that's really silly, but then I tried it and it looks like it has a 1% success rate, tops. At least it doesn't require any setup since you're equally as likely to win at any point in the fight. Does Masukukaja increase Light/Dark hit rate, or just the Boost skills (which don't seem to be present in this game)?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What you want is Impure Reach. It increases the rate at which status effects succeed, and yes instant death is counted as a status effect.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It also works on the babies.

Neat, never thought to test it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

What you want is Impure Reach. It increases the rate at which status effects succeed, and yes instant death is counted as a status effect.

Neat, never thought to test it.

Sweet, I have that, except I don't think I can manage to get it on something that also has Light skills right now :(

Also I guess the Light vulnerability makes sense from a thematic standpoint cause it's the two enemies that hate light. Do the stationary doll takoyaki FOEs also die to Light?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 14, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The takoyakis aren't vulnerable to Light, you'd have to brute force your way through them. Probably not worth it in the long run considering how many of them there are.

You could just stick Impure Reach on a Persona and give it to Ken or Naoto, they learn Hamaon/Mahama(on) naturally.

Masukakaja seems to work only for damaging attacks, at least that's what I found. Similarly Agility Bind doesn't affect success rate for ailments and binds.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

The takoyakis aren't vulnerable to Light, you'd have to brute force your way through them. Probably not worth it in the long run considering how many of them there are.

You could just stick Impure Reach on a Persona and give it to Ken or Naoto, they learn Hamaon/Mahama(on) naturally.

Masukakaja seems to work only for damaging attacks, at least that's what I found. Similarly Agility Bind doesn't affect success rate for ailments and binds.

drat, I slapped a Succubus on Naoto and killed it on my second Mahamaon :stare:
Time to go REALLY gently caress up some random encounters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Impure Reach on Naoto makes random encounters functionally pointless. The game may as well just give you experience and materials every few steps because the effect is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's just as well, the battle system is really goddamn slow

• Locked thread