Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
got my semi-annual infinity engine itch this weekend and finally grabbed a copy of BG1EE this morning. 10-15 min of rolling got me some pretty serious stats (definitely the highest ive ever rolled since the original came out on 1998, not sure if it was luck or if the EE roller was tweaked or something) for the chaotic neutral blade that I always wanted to complete the series as.

Do the the EE games still have that ridiculous respawning rate for any previously killed enemies that are out of sight? That was probably one of the worst faults of the originals and made some of the dungeon crawling so completely frustrating and tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Respawns are sometimes ridiculous in EE. I've walked through a wilderness area, turned around, and found a big group of bandits in an area I'd just passed through ten seconds ago. On the other hand I've cleared out Ulcaster before and been able to walk back out with no further enemies spawning.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mariana Horchata posted:

got my semi-annual infinity engine itch this weekend and finally grabbed a copy of BG1EE this morning. 10-15 min of rolling got me some pretty serious stats (definitely the highest ive ever rolled since the original came out on 1998, not sure if it was luck or if the EE roller was tweaked or something) for the chaotic neutral blade that I always wanted to complete the series as.

Do the the EE games still have that ridiculous respawning rate for any previously killed enemies that are out of sight? That was probably one of the worst faults of the originals and made some of the dungeon crawling so completely frustrating and tedious.

I got a similar stat roll earlier this week, so I think they miiiight have tweaked it. I suspect they also tweaked the respawn rate because it really isn't noticeable compared to the last time I play BG. It comes up every so often, but its not so hideously tedious.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am making progress through IWD2, just about to do the bridge fight. I have one Fighter class character in the party but I am not remembering weapon drops all that well....what would be a good not-a-sword weapon type to specialize in for the long term?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Bort Bortles posted:

I am making progress through IWD2, just about to do the bridge fight. I have one Fighter class character in the party but I am not remembering weapon drops all that well....what would be a good not-a-sword weapon type to specialize in for the long term?

Axes! Theres a hilarious two handed throwing axe later and it owns.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Bort Bortles posted:

Axe proficiency gives you 1-handed, 2-handed and ranged options all in one.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I'm replaying Torment with mods described here and I have a slightly annoying issue: when I open inventory or any other menu (not main menu), the game really slows down to the point that mouse cursor seems to lag heavily. I've changed SoftMirrorBlt=1 in the .ini because of sprite moonwalking issue but didn't really touch anything else in there (except Path Search Nodes=32000 and Maximum Frame Rate=40). My hardware is i7 3.8 GHz an GTX 760.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Mariana Horchata posted:

There is some respawning, though my impression is that there's less than before. Though that bug where repeatedly reloading an area caused new monsters to be spawned each time resulting in hordes of enemies has been adressed. I remember having problems due to that issue when playing the original BG.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Mountaineer posted:

On the other hand I've cleared out Ulcaster before and been able to walk back out with no further enemies spawning.

Yeah it is much worse inside all the dungeons that force you to walk in single file...good to hear, thanks dudes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MegaGatts posted:

Axes! Theres a hilarious two handed throwing axe later and it owns.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Axe proficiency gives you 1-handed, 2-handed and ranged options all in one.

I already found Haft over Head or whatever it is; the returning throwing axe that does blunt damage (which if I remember can actually be quite useful later on).

What is the two handed throwing axe you get? I definitely do not remember that.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Bort Bortles posted:

I already found Haft over Head or whatever it is; the returning throwing axe that does blunt damage (which if I remember can actually be quite useful later on).

What is the two handed throwing axe you get? I definitely do not remember that.

It's a bit of random* loot during the lava bit of dragons eye.

*I think it's random.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MegaGatts posted:

It's a bit of random* loot during the lava bit of dragons eye.

*I think it's random.

Ahh, I have never made it that far (I always get stuck after I help that guy with histachii brew). I was thinking of doing a polarm spec but I may just go with the Axe spec since I have Haft-Over-Head and a +1 Battleaxe already. And because Axes come recommended :downs:

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Was thinking of changing up my party layout for the next run-through of IWD2:

was thinking along the lines of:

1. shield dwarf Fighter (4) barbarian (x)
2. Cleric of bane (maybe some fighter levels once I get to hof?)
3. Cleric of lathander (healing and fire strikes etc)
4. Human sorcerer
5. aasimar sorcerer
6 ..

6 is where i'm stuck. last playthrough i had a rouge (1) conjurer but i found that mages really suck as you can never find or buy enough spells to get them good. Can anyone offer suggestions for party member 6?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Matty posted:

4. Human sorcerer
5. aasimar sorcerer
6 ..

6 is where i'm stuck. last playthrough i had a rouge (1) conjurer but i found that mages really suck as you can never find or buy enough spells to get them good. Can anyone offer suggestions for party member 6?

I'm really enjoying my Bard, but it may just be confirmation bias or luck. His song buffs seem pretty useful (there is a mid level one that grants regeneration to the whole party? Yes please!), his spell selection is like a Sorcerer's, and has the same mediocre attack bonus a thief gets (as in: not as bad as a wizard/sorcerer) so if you give him decent dex he can be good ranged as well. If he has good Dex and you cast Mage Armor (lasts 1 hour/level) on him and he should have a decent AC (assuming you dont armor him, but I gave my Bard Phaen's rags).

I am guessing you are not worrying about sneaking to scout or lockpicking to unlock chests or disarm traps? Because a Theif (or the bard if you dont need him to talk; mine has talking skills) is the only one who can do those things.

Or you could run with 5 dudes.

Why would you do 1 human Sorcerer and 1 Aasimar Sorcerer? WOuld be weird with the level adjustment.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Matty posted:

4. Human sorcerer
5. aasimar sorcerer
6 ..

You don't have any thieving skills there.

Halfling ranger, do the whole small blade finesse thing with your free two weapon fighting and ambidexterity. Plus you'll get (modest) representation out of the druid spell tree.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Bort Bortles posted:

Why would you do 1 human Sorcerer and 1 Aasimar Sorcerer? WOuld be weird with the level adjustment.

1 sorcerer for early spell access, 1 sorcerer for across the board +1 spell DCs. Best of both worlds.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BG1 EE question: Is there anyway into the EE content without keeping the EE loser characters around for awhile? I *LOVE* the 'cursed' belt from Rasaad's line on a thief, but gently caress having him around long enough for it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Hughlander posted:

BG1 EE question: Is there anyway into the EE content without keeping the EE loser characters around for awhile? I *LOVE* the 'cursed' belt from Rasaad's line on a thief, but gently caress having him around long enough for it.

Cheat.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
My drow rouge (1)/conjurer (15) was a fine thief with only one level, in it, thanks to all the skill points, but a pretty lousy mage due to the randomness of spell scroll availability. Do bards get thieving abilities? They did in bg2.

Never used a bard in any infinity game. Always considered them kinda a joke I guess!

E.

Bort Bortles posted:

It doesn't make much sense till you get to hof mode. One can use disabling spells, and other can use damaging. You need as much magic and damage potential as possible, seeing as how the starting gobnlins in hof have 60 ish? Health and hit for 20+

Matty fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 13, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Matty posted:

My drow rouge (1)/conjurer (15) was a fine thief with only one level, in it, thanks to all the skill points, but a pretty lousy mage due to the randomness of spell scroll availability. Do bards get thieving abilities? They did in bg2.

Never used a bard in any infinity game. Always considered them kinda a joke I guess!

E.

It doesn't make much sense till you get to hof mode. One can use disabling spells, and other can use damaging. You need as much magic and damage potential as possible, seeing as how the starting gobnlins in hof have 60 ish? Health and hit for 20+

I'm pretty sure Bards get most of (if not all of) the thieving abilities. I've even pickpocketed a few good things here and there in IWD2 with my Bard. I'll check when I get home from work in ~2 hours.

I never played HoF so I had no idea. That is pretty crazy. My whole party of 6 is Human because I'm a skillpoint and feat whore, and because I do not like having level-adjusted characters. My party of 2 Clerics, 2 Sorcerers, a Fighter, and a Bard has been playing through the base game with ease so far. This could be attributed to me being less stupid than 4 or 5 years ago when I last tried or because I have a better party. One Sorcerer casts Web, the other casts Grease, and I just arrow and bolt things to death. The Bard will have the song that protects the whole party from fear by the time I reach the Dragon and a different song that lets the whole party regen 3 hp/round I think? Seems pretty sweet.

edit: I did consider going party of 6 that everyone is level adjusted - 5 Aasimar (2x Sorcerer, 2x Cleric, 1x Bard) and 1 ???

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Matty posted:

E.

It's spelled ROGUE, rouge is a type of makeup. I normally don't let that kind of thing bother me but you keep making the same spelling mistake and it's incredibly grating.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Druids are good in IWD2. Summons, disables, nukes, barkskin, wilderness lore for that stupid forest.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm pretty sure Bards get most of (if not all of) the thieving abilities. I've even pickpocketed a few good things here and there in IWD2 with my Bard. I'll check when I get home from work in ~2 hours.

Bards do not get Disable Device, Open Lock, or Search as class skills (but they do get Use Magic Device, which is worthless because at level 2 they gain the ability to use them anyway (though I guess the skill lets you use any scroll?)).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Bards DO get a ton of skill points, so if you're willing to, say, put your first level in rogue, you can keep the rogue skill maximum as you level and just sink your bard skill points into the thieving skills of your choice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mzbundifund posted:

Bards DO get a ton of skill points, so if you're willing to, say, put your first level in rogue, you can keep the rogue skill maximum as you level and just sink your bard skill points into the thieving skills of your choice.

They do get a ton of skillpoints, but my human bard that started with 1 level in rogue with 14 int still doesnt have enough SP to have Diplomacy, Intimidate (cross-class), and all of the hide, move silently, open locks, disable device, ect up to max. Though I dont know if you need them at max to be effective.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Dorn's is sequential, so you don't have to keep him for very long. Rasaad and Neera's are in game time triggers so you can just travel across the map a lot until all the right dialogue comes up. Took me like 10 minutes to do it for Rasaad once.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bort Bortles posted:

They do get a ton of skillpoints, but my human bard that started with 1 level in rogue with 14 int still doesnt have enough SP to have Diplomacy, Intimidate (cross-class), and all of the hide, move silently, open locks, disable device, ect up to max. Though I dont know if you need them at max to be effective.

Heavens, yeah that's a bit much for one character to handle. Considered putting the diplomacy skills on another character perhaps? A sorcerer works well.

memento mori
May 4, 2008
Just bought BG2 for android and I'm wondering if I can buy the IAP after I've already started the game? Kinda wanna just get started in the first dungeon before I worry about that other stuff. But I really wanna just start 1 game and stick with it...

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I have super dumb questions for BG:EE, please bear with me:

Can I get shadow keeper working for the android version?

Failing that. Where can I grind some XP to level up a character?

How do I backstab with thieves, I seem to have them either fail to hide in shadows or pop out of hiding incredibly fast.

How do I get to that lighthouse area with the golems? I've found the two areas above and below it on the coast, but can't seem to get to the actual light house. Was it a chapter dependent thing?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Quantumfate posted:

Failing that. Where can I grind some XP to level up a character?
Lighthouse area with flesh golems, ankheg area just above Friendly Arm Inn and the basilisk area next to Gullykin.

Quantumfate posted:

How do I backstab with thieves, I seem to have them either fail to hide in shadows or pop out of hiding incredibly fast.
You have to raise your thiefs hide in shadows and move silently skills. The higher they are, the easier it is to both hide and stay hidden. You backstab by attacking an enemy from behind them, meaning that their sprite is facing away from you. You can also do this while invisible.

Quantumfate posted:

How do I get to that lighthouse area with the golems? I've found the two areas above and below it on the coast, but can't seem to get to the actual light house. Was it a chapter dependent thing?

No, you can access it in any chapter. Iirc you have to approach it from the right direction, so try going there from all of the areas next to it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

IWD2 question since I am rusty and a google search gave me mixed results: I am in the warrens underneath the fortress. I just got to Yquog and got his mission to go get his letter from the decanter goblin. I remember that if you do it right you can get bracers that give you an attack bonus? I just cant remember the best course of action/what the different rewards are. Anyone remember and have any tips?

Mzbundifund posted:

Heavens, yeah that's a bit much for one character to handle. Considered putting the diplomacy skills on another character perhaps? A sorcerer works well.

Hah, yeah, my Bard is my talker, I have another character taking the find traps, disable device, ect skills. I dumped my two sorcerer's ints to 8 or 6 or something so they could have higher dex and con.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Quantumfate posted:

I have super dumb questions for BG:EE, please bear with me:

Where can I grind some XP to level up a character?

Dyna Soar posted:

Lighthouse area with flesh golems, ankheg area just above Friendly Arm Inn and the basilisk area next to Gullykin.

I believe that this was removed in the Enhanced Edition, to my great annoyance.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

You can still farm Ankhegs!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you feel like you need to grind in BG, I'd say you're doing something wrong.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

fong posted:

This. I've never felt the need to grind, if anything the game gives you too much exp if you clear all the wilderness areas before going to Baldur's Gate.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

IWD2 question since I am rusty and a google search gave me mixed results: I am in the warrens underneath the fortress. I just got to Yquog and got his mission to go get his letter from the decanter goblin. I remember that if you do it right you can get bracers that give you an attack bonus? I just cant remember the best course of action/what the different rewards are. Anyone remember and have any tips?

The bracers give +1 deflection if you decide to keep them, not a huge deal.
If you give them back and then betray the goblins they'll break.
Killing the decanter goblins gets you a protection from arrows scroll and some random loot.
If you leave Yquog alive you can meet him later.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 15, 2015

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

fong posted:

Aye, just wanted to see if they ever ran out ("No"). I was distracted doing other things and just kept hitting rest and letting tactics sort itself out.

My current gnome staff-wielding Fighter/Illusionist is pretty fun, especially since you can just go buy a +3 weapon at the Beard for a few thousand gold... not that you need +3 for anything, but still.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
While I wouldn't call it grinding per se, doing stuff like grabbing a potion of mirrored eyes and cheeseing basilisks so you have a level or two under your belt makes a lot of early game stuff a lot easier.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

fong posted:

Yes, namely that i encountered some characters too early. They're now half my party level and i would like to pick them up. . . So yeah, grinding it is I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm not saying don't grind, its your game. Even in that situation though you should be able to carry them through the higher level content for long enough for them to catch up. Shouldn't take long at all.