Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Just ordered an N6 off the Google Play store, first time I've seen them in stock. I tried to buy one outright from Telus but they won't let me do it in store, otherwise they charge $30 more than Google is - however I assume I will have to pay to activate it with them anyways, yes? That plus shipping means it'll cost the same in the end :nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Is it actually possible to buy a phone outright anymore? I have a $150 positive tab balance and I want to do something with it before cancelling my plan at the end of the week. I tried to buy a Nexus 5 at Best Buy but the guy wouldn't sell anything outright, only put it on a tab and I would have to cancel in 2 months. Is a corporate store going to tell me the same thing? It's a bit of a drive so I don't want to go for nothing.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I didn't find a "lovely random questions" thread in this subforum so I'll ask here.
My screen protector did this:

I followed the directions to the T and no matter how hard I push with the lint free cloth that bubble hasn't moved.
Any ideas?

I get the feeling it's gonna drive me nuts.

mewse
May 2, 2006

That picture is indecipherable but try using a bank card, if that doesn't work, another screen protector :P

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

mewse posted:

That picture is indecipherable but try using a bank card, if that doesn't work, another screen protector :P

It's the $50 dollar one but in my defense it was free.
I'll try that and see how it goes.

Looks great though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cacator posted:

Just ordered an N6 off the Google Play store, first time I've seen them in stock. I tried to buy one outright from Telus but they won't let me do it in store, otherwise they charge $30 more than Google is - however I assume I will have to pay to activate it with them anyways, yes? That plus shipping means it'll cost the same in the end :nexus:

You don't have to "activate" anything. Just put in your sim card.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

grack posted:

You don't have to "activate" anything. Just put in your sim card.

My current phone is an S3 and apparently that SIM won't work in it? That's what Telus told me anyway but we'll see.

edit: Yeah, micro-SIM vs nano-SIM

spoof posted:

Is it actually possible to buy a phone outright anymore? I have a $150 positive tab balance and I want to do something with it before cancelling my plan at the end of the week. I tried to buy a Nexus 5 at Best Buy but the guy wouldn't sell anything outright, only put it on a tab and I would have to cancel in 2 months. Is a corporate store going to tell me the same thing? It's a bit of a drive so I don't want to go for nothing.

The excuse I was given for not being able to get a Nexus 6 outright is that it's "too new". Although Telus gives you the option on the website but not in store.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 8, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cacator posted:

My current phone is an S3 and apparently that SIM won't work in it? That's what Telus told me anyway but we'll see.

I posted about this a few pages ago - if you know a guy with a sim card cutting tool it's like a five second process. Rogers charges $10 for a new card, not sure about Telus.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Reverse Centaur posted:

Rogers charges $10 for a new card, not sure about Telus.

Charging for SIMs is such a :canada: thing. If for some absurd reason they are charging you for a SIM, then just say walk away and buy one from eBay for a dollar or w/e they're priced at now.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Science posted:

Charging for SIMs is such a :canada: thing. If for some absurd reason they are charging you for a SIM, then just say walk away and buy one from eBay for a dollar or w/e they're priced at now.

Sure is. Except maybe the USA, they're given away for free just about everywhere else.

It's the very conduit that your customers need to start giving you money. Why would you not give it away - in an actual normal market, that is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rogers has always given them to me for free, though they make sure I know it's normally $10.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I bought my unlocked moto g at staples and they gave me a sim of my choice.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I remember sims used to be $20... I lost my phone once and fido charged me $20 for a replacement sim, I couldn't even put it on my fido dollars.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

slidebite posted:

I bought my unlocked moto g at staples and they gave me a sim of my choice.

Speaking of, have they given the Moto G XT1034 the OTA upgrade to Lollipop? I'm on Koodo and it only updated to 4.4.4.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

spoof posted:

It's always possible to buy a phone outright, what do you suppose people who lose their phone the day after they bought it do? That said, third party dealers like Best Buy, Wireless Wave, etc. will only do upgrades or activations. Actual carrier stores will do it.

I've known some reps to simply lie about not being able to sell a phone outright because they want to save the phone for a more valuable sale like a hardware upgrade or activation (outright purchases are worthless to the carrier), but that's pretty much only when a phone is extremely new and in limited quantities, so it doesn't happen much.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Dark One posted:

Speaking of, have they given the Moto G XT1034 the OTA upgrade to Lollipop? I'm on Koodo and it only updated to 4.4.4.

Not yet for me at least.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

If I want to unlock my old Rogers Note 3 for resale, what's the best way to go about it? Something legit that won't undo itself with a factory reset.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

If I want to unlock my old Rogers Note 3 for resale, what's the best way to go about it? Something legit that won't undo itself with a factory reset.

Go to eBay and purchase an unlock code. Just search for your carrier's name + phone model. They cost 10-18 dollars.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just got the $55 Koodo plan. :toot:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ashley Madison posted:

Go to eBay and purchase an unlock code. Just search for your carrier's name + phone model. They cost 10-18 dollars.

So like this?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unlock-Code-...=item19f302b4be

Also can I do it without a sim card? Because mine is now chopped into nano size...

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

less than three posted:

Just got the $55 Koodo plan. :toot:

Did they give it to you outright or did you have to wait and switch it online?
I think I have 5 more days to go :/

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Did they give it to you outright or did you have to wait and switch it online?
I think I have 5 more days to go :/

I ordered a SIM from the website. Once it arrived I called in and activated a new account with an SK number. Once it was done I went to the self-serve and ported my Vancouver number. You can do it that way, order it now and set it up. Port your number over when the 5 days are up.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Neat.
I thought they closed that loophole, I've still got 4 more days until I can change mine over to the $55 plan and port in my number.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

So like this?

Also can I do it without a sim card? Because mine is now chopped into nano size...

Yes, like that. You'd have to look it up for your phone, but it's more complicated. Can you borrow a sim from a friend for a few seconds?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ashley Madison posted:

Yes, like that. You'd have to look it up for your phone, but it's more complicated. Can you borrow a sim from a friend for a few seconds?

I guess my wife's S4 sized one should work.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

I guess my wife's S4 sized one should work.

That will do. Make sure you enter the phone's IMEI number in to the notes to the seller when you make your purchase. They usually send the code by email within 48 hours.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Koodo Trip Report:

TELUS is using G.722 audio encoding between on-network subscribers, which caught me off guard. "Oh god you sound so different!"

(For non-IT nerds: G.722 is a codec that sounds like FM radio/low bitrate MP3, versus standard G.711/GSM "landline" stuff.)

edit: They're calling it "HD Voice" http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help/mobility/services/hd-voice/support.do

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

So like this?

You can usually unlock it without one, but the only reliable way to test it on most Android phones (maybe all) is to have one for a carrier it wasn't locked to.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Does anyone know what happens with the data usage before the 1st bill I get from Koodo?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Does anyone know what happens with the data usage before the 1st bill I get from Koodo?

Use the Koodo self-serve app / website. It will tell you your usage, and how much time is left in your billing cycle.

I had the whole 5gb available immediately, then they billed me a month later. My first bill was higher than usual because... reasons? I don't know, it was like 10 bucks more expensive, probably aligning my account to their billing cycles or something? Then the next time was the price I expected.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I should note that your question doesn't make tooooo much sense since this is a post-paid service, so as soon as you activate, you're in your first billing cycle. It's not like you pay for the next month, you pay for what you used the last month. The details of their billing system idk but you're on the hook as soon as you get that SIM activated.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Oh right :/
I thought it was gonna be "FREE DATA OMG GO HOG WILD!"

e:
Speaking of data, it's actually faster than my home internet.
:/

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 13, 2015

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Anybody heard of Zoomer Wireless? They have a double everything promo right now so for $40.50 you get 500 Canada-wide minutes and 1GB data. Some Googling suggest they were own by CityFone which is now own by Rogers. Their website suggest they use the Roger's 3G/LTE network. Will I have to deal with Roger's customer service rep? I'm currently with Fido and my contract ends in 2 days. This looks almost too good to be true.

http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/rate-plans/smartphone-and-blackberry-plans/

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Barely related to Canadian cellular but has anyone successfully used their phone to pay at Tim Hortons?
I'm asking for a friend who

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

rexelation posted:

Anybody heard of Zoomer Wireless? They have a double everything promo right now so for $40.50 you get 500 Canada-wide minutes and 1GB data. Some Googling suggest they were own by CityFone which is now own by Rogers. Their website suggest they use the Roger's 3G/LTE network. Will I have to deal with Roger's customer service rep? I'm currently with Fido and my contract ends in 2 days. This looks almost too good to be true.

http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/rate-plans/smartphone-and-blackberry-plans/

I'd suggest calling and asking them some questions, as both Zoomer Media and CARP are orgs for seniors, and the phone plans are intended for them. As per the legal stuff at the bottom, the plans come with a CARP membership and you have to be at least 55 years old to get one of those.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

less than three posted:

Koodo Trip Report:

TELUS is using G.722 audio encoding between on-network subscribers, which caught me off guard. "Oh god you sound so different!"

(For non-IT nerds: G.722 is a codec that sounds like FM radio/low bitrate MP3, versus standard G.711/GSM "landline" stuff.)

edit: They're calling it "HD Voice" http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help/mobility/services/hd-voice/support.do

Just got my Nexus 6 today and noticed that, it's bloody bizarre. Voices sound completely different.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just found out you can get free streaming music through Stingray music (app) if you are a subscriber to most of the major Canadian carriers/cable companies. Authentication is great - just play a channel from another source, let it listen for a few seconds and it gives you 90 days (then just do it again after 90 days). I can't justify paying for Google Play for my 8 minute commute but this is great, despite no Android Wear control support.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Switched my plan and ported in my number the second I could which was a little bit after midnight.

Step one was changing the plan, this took about 15-20 minutes before I did anything else.
Step two was the port and it took way longer than the 15 minutes the page suggests, I started the port at 12:35 and I've only just started to receive sms now from another koodo user.
Bell texts aren't coming through yet but I'll leave it for later.

e:
Voicemail isn't working yet either.
I can call it from my phone and everything's fine and set up, when I call my phone from another line and let it go to voicemail it asks for a mailbox.

e2:
Word of warning: This isn't something to do late at night because if something fucks up you'll be up at 2:30am screwing with it.

Got my voicemail working though so I'm calling it a night, the problem was my phone was configured to forward missed calls to the 306 area code mailbox where my account no longer existed.
Not quite sure what made it switch to the 647 one but I'm sure I did a few power cycles.

Now I'm off t...zzzZZZ

e3:
All is golden. :)
Now I can look up gorgi gifs on tumblr and not fear running over my data limit.

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 15, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm going to need a mobile internet hotspot thing (one of those ones that projects wifi from an LTE signal) for about nine weeks. My usage should be under 5gb/month so it shouldn't cost too much.

But all the providers want me to drop 200 bucks on the drat hardware or take a two year contract. If I spend the 200, is there a way to unlock these things if they're locked (are they locked if you buy them from the carrier outright?), and has anyone heard of someone selling the hardware lightly used?

Edit: can I buy one used and just plug like, telus' SIM into it and have it work normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Many phones will be locked, but most are unlockable.

Buy a used one off Craigslist. I got an old old smartphone for $30 that worked fine with cyanogenmod for hotspots. No lte, though, you'll have to spring for a slightly better one.
Keep in mind when buying that Rogers and telus networks are different frequencies, so some phones will only support one or the other.