Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At least Rosa realised Gunther was beneath her.

I've had a woman I was seeing ask me to leave her house, but never had one ask me to leave an entire continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Gunther has chosen to leave Peru, so this is maybe the first time I can remember where Gunther (of all people) is actually being shown to do the right thing, even if it's for a self-serving reason.

It's strange because yeah, Gunther did the right thing but for all the wrong reasons. There's nobody to like in this strip. It's good to have flawed characters, but you can't have a story with no likeable characters at all! That only works in something like The Creeps. It's crazy, but this thread's joking interpretation of Tiffany is the only way to have someone to root for in this stupid strip.

Gorilla Salad posted:

At least Rosa realised Gunther was beneath her.

I've had a woman I was seeing ask me to leave her house, but never had one ask me to leave an entire continent.

That's because there's no way you were as bad as Gunther, no matter who you are or why she broke up with you.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Part two of the hobo's distraction plan appears to be working.

9 Chickweed Lane

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Third Murderer posted:

It's strange because yeah, Gunther did the right thing but for all the wrong reasons. There's nobody to like in this strip. It's good to have flawed characters, but you can't have a story with no likeable characters at all! That only works in something like The Creeps. It's crazy, but this thread's joking interpretation of Tiffany is the only way to have someone to root for in this stupid strip.

I can't speak for everyone else but "Tiffany is the only sane, likable person in Luann" is definitely not a joke.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoubleDonut posted:

I can't speak for everyone else but "Tiffany is the only sane, likable person in Luann" is definitely not a joke.

I dunno, the "bully" isn't bad either. Remember the time he got choked for trying to go to the bathroom, and was portrayed as the bad guy and people tried to gently caress him over? In a way that made no sense, at that?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Allen Wren posted:

It's not the shape of it, it's that it goes in the opposite direction. Women's belts go the opposite way around the middle from men's, just like how women's shirts button the opposite way. The phone footage shows a woman's belt.
No one ever told me I had to put my belt on one way. How do I know I'm putting my belt on in the proper manly fashion?

F Minus

Some strange proportions on that girl. It's like with Brooke except it's her arms that are too long.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Why are you still doing this to us Scott? This is a terrible loving storyline. :gonk:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

ZeeToo posted:

Pearls Before Swine

He's a veritable Schopenlager.

Go ahead and have that terrible pun for free, Pastis.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Brooke's drawing is deteriorating. Is it wrong for me to hope it's a neurological disorder and not just being lazy or short on time this week or something?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Or you can stop stuffing your face and blaming others for your own weakness you horrible excuse for a human being. :argh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dilbert

Why are you still doing this to us Scott? This is a terrible loving storyline. :gonk:

WORTHLESS PREDICTION: it's about to end with a new dress code at the office, bringing back Dilbert's classic penis-tie.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
And, seriously, why do women's shirts button backward? I mean, what's the point? Just so one can tell the difference? I'm calling shirt misogyny.

And, that makes me question lesbian button orientation. Let's see how our roadtripping lesbians are doing landing that plane on that incredibly short beach in Jane's World!

Well, OK then!

Non Sequitur

OK, I get it.

Heavenly Nostrils

:v:

Kliban

Uh... hmm... :stare: God's a pretty loving hairy dude.

Just gams in 9 Chickweed Lane 1/12/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

This is going to be a long week.

Militant sports team affiliations are the worst. I'm an Ohio resident, and I really can't give two fucks about OSU. I mean, good luck guys, but I won't be committing suicide if you lose. I know people that absolutely refuse to even ride as a passenger in a Chevrolet because of NASCAR. Why?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

And, seriously, why do women's shirts button backward? I mean, what's the point? Just so one can tell the difference? I'm calling shirt misogyny

The same reason for most things in fashion, historical trends. Gentlemen dressed themselves, ladies were dressed by their maids. Buttons were arranged accordingly (because anyone left-handed had it beaten out of them by the time they wore buttoned clothes).

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

This is going to be a long week.

Meanwhile they eat the prey animal then organize a pack to take down the lone, insane hunter who obviously was weak enough to let a prey animal live for so long, and all is right in the world.

Cul-de-sac this one goes out to all you Dill fans out there:

The Creeps

Poptropica should probably be posted in RandomFerret's DOG COMIX

Heathcliff rounds it all out.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Third Murderer posted:

It's crazy, but this thread's joking interpretation of Tiffany is the only way to have someone to root for in this stupid strip.

It's not really a joke. The Evanses are just so bad at writing character that their heroes come across as selfish arseholes and the villains seem to be unfairly victimised. They make the mistake of telling rather than showing when it comes to characters' personalities, so what's supposed to be the bullied underdog standing up for themself is just the character who's always an arsehole continuing to be an arsehole to the one we're told is mean and unpleasant but never see actually being mean and unpleasant.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Why does it not surprise me that Brooke's characters would stand around trying to bait people into being the unwitting straight men in their lovely wordplay?

Speaking of lovely:

The Dinette Set looks out for number one.

Working Daze makes a joke about how social media is really terrible! Nobody's ever done that before!

:bigbangtheorylaughtrack:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Single laziest Sunday strip I've ever seen.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

My Lovely Horse posted:

And not a single bit was copy-pasted!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 14, 1927)

Peanuts (January 15, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 6-7, 1926)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Happy Monday, everyone! Let's take a break for a second and let the Horror Comix sink in!

Poncho the little rear end in a top hat dog confirmed for actual honest-to-god murderer. The question is whether or not it's a character we know.

Ballard Street

Here we see a Ballard character completely naked. You're welcome, everyone!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

As a former resident of the mojave, I'd just like to say, man, gently caress joshua trees. Also, I didn't realize that Williams had gone far enough west to see them, he's gotta be at least in Arizona.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

RandomFerret posted:

Poncho the little rear end in a top hat dog confirmed for actual honest-to-god murderer. The question is whether or not it's a character we know.
We have seen the character many times.

It's the :ghost: of the vacuum cleaner!

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Trey Tracy?
Trey, middle initial C, Tracy?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Ardeem posted:

As a former resident of the mojave, I'd just like to say, man, gently caress joshua trees. Also, I didn't realize that Williams had gone far enough west to see them, he's gotta be at least in Arizona.

Yup. He bought a ranch in Prescott when the single-panel jackpot finally hit, although he finished his days in Pasadena, CA.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Norm Feuti puts more effort into Gil, which is still actually in one paper, only on Sundays, than the one that he actually makes money on.

Gil

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
These are out of order but who cares :effort:
Dustin

Whose car is that? I thought Dustin drove a blue car.

Is Dustin's sister's gimmick just going to be a)poo poo on Dustin and b)some gizmo?

That's called a fever.

Remember those times your teachers in school told you to go to college or you'd end up working fast food? So you took out 40k in student loans, went to college, did all those tests, papers, and reflections, and then ended up working fast food?

That job is already taken by this weird magic bee fairy entity.

Steve Kelley is really milking this New Year's resolution thing and none of the strips were funny.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 12, 2015

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Neige posted:

Trey Tracy?
Trey, middle initial C, Tracy?
Trey as in Three, but that also works.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Phantom's costume was originally just gray?

Bloom County will not stop the drama.

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

It's probably obvious from the non-joke, but that's young Bull.

Hey! I haven't posted a truly bizarre-looking Cheap Thrills Cuisine in a while, so here!

Oh, yum?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

:v:

Oh, interesting. Dana tells me that there's certain words the syndicate won't let her use (at least, until she's been accepted by a whole bunch of newspapers and has appeared in them for a year or so). Words like "underwear" and "dork".

But 'wee-wee' is okay?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Juliet Jones

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

Oh, interesting. Dana tells me that there's certain words the syndicate won't let her use (at least, until she's been accepted by a whole bunch of newspapers and has appeared in them for a year or so). Words like "underwear" and "dork".

But 'wee-wee' is okay?

Seriously? Underwear? Does that give newspaper readers the vapors? Does it shock their 75-year-old hearts into fibrillation?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Midnight Moth posted:

That job is already taken by this weird magic bee fairy entity.

even 'may i please have the salt' is incorrect because the intention is to have meg pass the salt. simply asking if he may have it only reveals whether or not he has permission, with the onus of action upon him like as if he asked 'may i go to the restroom'.

for a supposed genius raised by a lawyer she sure doesn't have a grasp of semantics

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Parahexavoctal posted:

But 'wee-wee' is okay?

Old people are easily offended.
But wait, 'dork'?

Edit: And 'underwear'.

Scott Adams is clearly a dangerous rebel.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Edminster posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Make no mistake-- people are lined up to give Gunther handjobs.

Say Nothing posted:

But wait, 'dork'?

That one makes more sense since dork actually does mean penis.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

This is making me want to double my citalopram dosage.

e; or kill myself, it fluctuates between the two after I see this strip

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Say Nothing posted:

Old people are easily offended.
But wait, 'dork'?

Chat log of me and Dana Simpson posted:

[me]
Incidentally
has the syndicate asked for any changes other than the title?

[Dana Simpson]
Honestly I don't push the envelope that much, but there have been times. Like, Gary Larson was telling the truth: you really can't say "dork."

[me]
interesting. Anything else?
(and am I allowed to tell the forums that 'Dana says the syndicate won't let her say 'dork' in the comic" ?)

[Dana Simpson]
Feel free.
I've also been stopped from saying the word 'underwear.'
I think once the strip is established in papers I can be a bit freer. Right now they don't want to scare off editors.

• Locked thread