Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I was going to post something about the Ekranoplan being useless in an opposed assault landing, with the added detail that the Convar R3Y Tradewind was cancelled for that reason, but I remembered that was just a comment made by a third party a few years ago.

I did, however, find out that the R3Y actually fell victim to that old favorite problem of aeronautics, "Hey, let's weld two engines together, what could possibly go wrong?"

The Allison T40

I would have thought the USAAF had captured some of the data relating to the He 177 and its various failures with almost the same concept, but evidently not.

Also notable in being used in the hilariously 50's "let's try a fighter that takes off and lands vertically, but get this-the pilot sits parallel to the ground" Lockheed XFV Salmon and Convair XFY Pogo, and the "Almost a Brown Note" Republic XF-84H Thunderscreech.

This was not an engine design with a bright future, clearly, given that it was only ever used in prototypes.

The 1950's were a truly mad time in aviation.

Man, checking their wiki page, Allison never did make an aircraft engine that didn't cause anybody who had to deal with it to curse continuously when mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

priznat posted:

Gadzooks those V8s sounded sweet. The 454 was quite the beast, always wanted to drive a Chevelle with one.

I did get to drive in Mustang Mach 1 with the 7.0L (429cu in) engine, also a beast.

RIP Big Blocks :(

I thought the 454 was, like the 460, an iron pig of a motor whose internal geometry made loads of torque but, combined with abysmal factory heads, gently caress all power? Or have I been reading about the post-smog motors?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ardeem posted:

Man, checking their wiki page, Allison never did make an aircraft engine that didn't cause anybody who had to deal with it to curse continuously when mentioned.

Allison made the P-51 a lovely airplane. I will never forgive them for that. :colbert:
E: gently caress. The same Allisons were used to make the Lightning the twin forked murder machine. I'm so conflicted.

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 12, 2015

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

IPCRESS posted:

I thought the 454 was, like the 460, an iron pig of a motor whose internal geometry made loads of torque but, combined with abysmal factory heads, gently caress all power? Or have I been reading about the post-smog motors?

For its day it was pretty impressive, with I believe in the neighbourhood for 350-380hp and I want to say over 400ft-lbs of torque? Edit: Wiki says 390-465hp and 500ft-lbs and it was possibly underrated. So it had oodles of power too but that displacement, holy crap. It'd be a thirsty bugger.

They kept using them in their trucks until 1996! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Big-Block_engine#454

I mean yes, they were iron pigs and you could get much better power with a supercharged small block or even some v6 twin turbos with much better efficiency these days. But drat they sounded good.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ardeem posted:

As has been pointed out, they at least made the engines that made the P-38 a mean machine. Also the engine that powered the C-130 for over 50 years until the -J model.

Which is more than can be said of Westinghouse's jet engines. Without a single redeeming quality and responsible for all but singlehandedly crippling an entire generation of naval fighters.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

iyaayas01 posted:

As has been pointed out, they at least made the engines that made the P-38 a mean machine. Also the engine that powered the C-130 for over 50 years until the -J model.

Which is more than can be said of Westinghouse's jet engines. Without a single redeeming quality and responsible for all but singlehandedly crippling an entire generation of naval fighters.

According to one terrible p-38 book I've got there was a standing joke that the reason that the P-38 had two Allisons was that there'd be a chance that one of them would keep running long enough to get you home.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Oops: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT7BC0HyNV0

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

I'm amazed there isn't some safety protocol in the airbus that prevents you from doing just that?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
How much damage would that do to the aircraft?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Splode posted:

How much damage would that do to the aircraft?

Enough that I winced. Less than if it had fallen the whole way, rather than be lowered down by the rolling nose gear.

The electronics bay on a 320 is behind the cockpit on the bottom so it probably took the brunt of the hit.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A320 drat your fine move it so you can sock it to me one mo time

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

priznat posted:

Gadzooks those V8s sounded sweet. The 454 was quite the beast, always wanted to drive a Chevelle with one.

I did get to drive in Mustang Mach 1 with the 7.0L (429cu in) engine, also a beast.

RIP Big Blocks :(

We had a Buick station wagon with the 455. Despite weighing upwards of 5000 pounds, it could beat a V6 Camaro off the line. Torque like you wouldn't believe.

I did so much stupid poo poo as a teenager.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

HOW

HOW

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Barnsy posted:

I'm amazed there isn't some safety protocol in the airbus that prevents you from doing just that?

Yes, but it can be defeated, which makes me think this aircraft is undergoing maintenance.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
It's not just a collapse, because the nosegear doors snap open first.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

0toShifty posted:

It's not just a collapse, because the nosegear doors snap open first.
Yeah. Is that why the ground dude raises his hands?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah. Is that why the ground dude raises his hands?

he might be gesturing to the guy in the flight deck to select gear up, but they didn't pin the gear, which is what you should always do if you're going to be monkeying around with the gear. Complacency strikes again!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 12, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Go on, where's that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Linedance posted:

he might be gesturing to the guy in the flight deck to select gear up, but they didn't pin the gear, which is what you should always do if you're going to be monkeying around with the gear. Complacency strikes again!

At least they pinned the mains. :v:

Airbus dudes: what procedure were they trying to accomplish, there? I can't think of a single time I ever raised a gear handle on the line, but I never worked on Airbus products.

I did get to raise a DC-10-30 center gear on the ground once. That was pretty cool. Still didn't get to touch the gear handle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

At least they pinned the mains. :v:

Airbus dudes: what procedure were they trying to accomplish, there? I can't think of a single time I ever raised a gear handle on the line, but I never worked on Airbus products.

I did get to raise a DC-10-30 center gear on the ground once. That was pretty cool. Still didn't get to touch the gear handle.

They probably didn't, but the mains won't collapse because of the way they fold. They'll try though!
As for what they were up to, could be any number of things that I can't remember off the top of my head (and could have been taking shortcuts instead of doing things like cheating prox sensors). I know there's a fairly routine task that has you select the gear lever up, but I can't remember what it is at the moment.
Also, the 320 does have a habit of collapsing the nose in certain circumstances related to towing, but that doesn't look like what happened here.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 12, 2015

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
On the E-jets (and probably on most aircraft), there's several system tests (example: autobrake control switch) that require you to make the aircraft think it's off the ground. You can physically fool the downlock sensors on the landing gear, or you can use this fancy override box with long cables and a bunch of switches. I don't think you usually need to touch the gear lever for those tests, but that's all I can think of. If you're testing the gear themselves you're probably up on jacks already.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A320 nose wheels sound finicky. Any reason why?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

How does an Airbus not have WOW switches?! :psyduck:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

oh I bet someone said wow after hitting that switch

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

simplefish posted:

Go on, where's that?

Aichi E13A (Jake), Nikko Bay, Palau

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
In a similar vein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZWop1Se5nA

Gibfender fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 12, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Psion posted:

oh I bet someone said wow after hitting that switch

Is it like many aircraft where you can pull the breaker for WOW to bypass it?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

A320 nose wheels sound finicky. Any reason why?

Airbus nose wheel steering is finicky because it's not technically essential, so the redundancy isn't the same level as other systems, which is why they can get stuck out in the runway unable to steer.
The gear itself isn't any more or less finicky than other manufacturers, in fact I can think of a few incidents of dropping a 767 on its nose.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It does, they work, but perhaps that was what they were troubleshooting.. Maybe there was a fault in the air-ground system?

CommieGIR posted:

Is it like many aircraft where you can pull the breaker for WOW to bypass it?

You can disable the computers that process the prox switch data (or just cheat the sensors), fooling the aircraft into thinking it's in the air. There are a lot of reasons you might want to do this, and a lot of precautions you have to keep in mind if you're going to do so.

Again I don't know what the deal is with the video, but when you're performing maintenance, you're deliberately disabling or dealing with degraded systems that would ordinarily be working on a serviceable aircraft in flight, which is why you need to pay heed to the precautions and warnings in the maintenance manual.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 12, 2015

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Linedance posted:

The gear itself isn't any more or less finicky than other manufacturers, in fact I can think of a few incidents of dropping a 767 on its nose.

That reminds me - most of the engineers at work have worked on BAE146s / Avro RJs in the past. Several of them have separately told me about seeing other people drop those on their noses too. Apparently on the 146/RJ it's very gentle but still unstoppable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

David Hartman was right, that nosewheel strut was mushy!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They should have taken a leaf from the Marines and put a stack of mattresses below the nose first. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Linedance posted:

Airbus nose wheel steering is finicky because it's not technically essential, so the redundancy isn't the same level as other systems, which is why they can get stuck out in the runway unable to steer.

I was thinking more about the incidents of the nose wheel failing to retract in flight leading to emergency landings and media freakouts.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My dad used to work at American Airlines' maintenance base at Ft Worth Alliance airport and another crew dropped a 767 on its nose in a similar fashion. The maintenance task required disabling the weight-on-wheels mechanism and having the gear lever in the up/retracted position. When this is done, the gears themselves are supposed to be safety pinned to prevent accidental retraction. Someone didn't install these pins on the nosewheel of that aircraft (and only partially installed them on the mains) and it eventually fell on its nose while being pulled into the hangar.

What sucks is that it crushed the avionics/INS bay which is VERY costly to repair. Boeing sent their special team in for that one.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/12/travel/new-york-london-record-flight-time/index.html

quote:

Transatlantic flight nears supersonic speeds

Transatlantic passengers taking the JFK to Heathrow red-eye got a helpful boost from stronger-than-average winds, reaching near-supersonic speeds and cutting 90 minutes off the scheduled flight time.

The British Airways Boeing 777-200 made the New York-London route in five hours, 16 minutes last Wednesday, and reached ground speeds of up to 1200 km/h (745 mph), riding a powerful jet stream of up to 322 km/h (200 mph) tailwinds. The sonic barrier is broken at 1224 km/h (761 mph).

Thanks, CNN! :ughh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Why did they even report that?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I'll bet a CNN editor was on that flight. Live CNN iProducer iReporting from the aPlane.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

CNN just recently discovered that aircraft routinely reach a destination without crashing, disappearing, or getting shot down, so naturally this is news to them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Have they entertained the possibility that the plane skirted a black hole, thus giving it additional velocity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ardeem posted:

I've got no complaints about the -427's we've got on the E-2. They're rock solid compared to the Hamilton Sundstrand props...